Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1306810 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5100 on: August 25, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »

One thing for me is how the new generation of adults feel as if they shouldn't have to work for anything. It should just be handed to them. This drives me to drink. Which I do very well. Cheesy

That's called being a Millennial. Participation awards for everyone. You ever watch the show the Great Indoors? They actually handed out participation trophies in the weekly meeting. The satire is so spot on that it makes me want to puke, while simultaneously laughing my ass off.

As Jev succinctly put it (per usual), when everyone is special, no one will be. Yet another social paradigm that I'm not allowed to expand upon due to RULES, but those enlightened enough already know what I'm on about. Wink

I hear you brother. I'm still trying to work out where and why this attitude arose. One thing I hear parents say sometimes is "I just want them to have what I didn't." Why? You didn't have 8 pairs of $300 trainers and you seem to have turned out OK.

There's no appreciation of the value of things. Everything given to them on a plate. This idea that education is currently touting of "Everyone is a winner" is harmful. What we should actually be doing is pointing out real winners in business and sport and saying "See that person there? They had to work really hard to get where they are." Kids come out of education today believing everyone is a winner then try and get a job/career to find out there's a harsh reality that no one has mentioned to them so far. Education should be about preparing young adults for the real world and all that entails. Not filling their head with blatant fantasy.

S***, I'm still waiting to find a pair of shoes that I think is worth spending $100 on let alone $300.

The truth of the matter come be summed up in the song Way Down the Line by the Offspring. Kids turn out to be there parents because it's what they know. I never had that classic shouting match with my dad where I declared "I'M NEVER GOING TO BE LIKE YOU!" Good thing to, because as I have delved into the teaching/parenting arena, I hear "my dad" speaking in my voice. Especially with matters concerning teaching kids that their actions have consequences.

So....worthless parents have worthless kids. But every once in a while truly great individuals emerge that rise above their circumstances and show true quality as a human being.

I'm going to chime in and tell you what really bugs me. Today's mentality that if you have problems of any kind you need counseling. I hate counseling. I've had two kids in it, spent lots of money and I can tell you it's a big fat joke.  "You don't need religion just go to counciling."A bunch of money sucking BS.

You know what counseling is? TALKING. It's talking about your problems with someone not directly involved in the situation. You can do that with anyone, but shrinks have training to steer you toward "self-realization". Lessons IMO have greater staying power if you "figure it out for yourself". As Viv said, it's not a universal cure-all, but talking things out does help a lot. Especially if you can confront a source of agitation. We are not mind readers or empaths, so talking is the most readily available means of communicating thoughts and feelings. Understanding is the key. The more you understand, the more situations you will be able work either through or around.

Most of the counseling I've been through was about evaluating my ADHD and how to treat it. I couldn't talk through that with my parents because they knew nothing about it. But when it came to dealing with the world and people, my parents were never shy about being there to talk. And if they felt they lacked experience in an area, they recommended others they felt would be able to help.

Counseling, like any medicine, only works if you take it.

He told me studies show, the quantity of life has gone up, while the quality of life has gone down. I'm a little slow when it comes to philosophy, but basically, people are living longer lives, but more depressing lives. Talk about sucking the happiness out of the world. "I'm willing to give up living, just to stay alive."

Look at it from a manufacturing stand point. Companies increase production at the cost of quality. People are living longer, but what they have to fill their lives is becoming cheaper and more disposable.

Nowadays people look to the internet for acceptance and approval from a world that truly doesn't give two $#!%s about them. Need I say more about the condition of the world?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #5101 on: August 25, 2017, 02:24:45 PM »

^^^^^^^^^

What he said. Exactly.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5102 on: August 25, 2017, 04:42:47 PM »

^^^^^^^^^

What he said. Exactly.
Which part?

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #5103 on: August 25, 2017, 05:08:23 PM »

That's called being a Millennial. Participation awards for everyone. You ever watch the show the Great Indoors? They actually handed out participation trophies in the weekly meeting. The satire is so spot on that it makes me want to puke, while simultaneously laughing my ass off.

As Jev succinctly put it (per usual), when everyone is special, no one will be. Yet another social paradigm that I'm not allowed to expand upon due to RULES, but those enlightened enough already know what I'm on about. Wink

As a greater man than I once said, and I'm paraphrasing here to make it applicable: "Why use a big explanation when a diminutive one will suffice?"

S***, I'm still waiting to find a pair of shoes that I think is worth spending $100 on let alone $300.

I'm just happy to find a pair of shoes that actually fit, regardless of the price (Size 13 4E is difficult to come by, at best). Get on my level, scrub.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5104 on: August 25, 2017, 05:27:17 PM »

I'm just happy to find a pair of shoes that actually fit, regardless of the price (Size 13 4E is difficult to come by, at best). Get on my level, scrub.
I don't think I've ever spent more than $80 on a nice pair of dress shoes.

I've heard of some custom Italian jobs that go for over $800 per shoe.

Sig by For Tyeth

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #5105 on: August 25, 2017, 08:06:38 PM »

Wondering about what kind of beer i will drink to fight against this too high temperature Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #5106 on: August 25, 2017, 10:10:21 PM »

Which part?

All of it. (I was too lazy to write my opinion especially when you basically said what I was thinking)

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #5107 on: August 25, 2017, 10:50:20 PM »

Wondering about what kind of beer i will drink to fight against this too high temperature Wink

Probably preferably cold. 😁

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5108 on: August 25, 2017, 10:51:22 PM »

All of it. (I was too lazy to write my opinion especially when you basically said what I was thinking)
Awesome.

Sig by For Tyeth

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #5109 on: August 26, 2017, 12:45:27 AM »

I'm sure for that small percentage it can be a benefit.

I think the percentage that would say that it's helped them is higher than you think.

Counciling seems to me to be the worlds answer to everything these days and it's a joke.

Counciling is not a joke. That it's the world's answer to everything is.

Therapy for a depressed child with ADD, a joke.

It depends on the cause of both. I'm curious here, what you think would be the best way to deal with it.

If you want help and you're willing then I suppose the right counselor can help.

Most definitely, and both of those conditions must be met to get the most benefit from it.

I think my biggest point is it's not an answer to all.

I completely agree. But not an answer to all is different from not an answer at all.

And yes, I broke your post down into each sentence and responded to it. I'm weird that way. Cheesy

Personally it bothers me the number of people who think that medication cures everything. Does it help with some things? Absolutely. Everything? Definitely not.

Also, shoes should be comfortable.

Sablaise, I'm afraid I cannot suggest anything beyond whatever beer is your favorite as I don't drink alcohol.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

« Reply #5110 on: August 26, 2017, 01:02:37 AM »

I think the percentage that would say that it's helped them is higher than you think.

Counciling is not a joke. That it's the world's answer to everything is.

It depends on the cause of both. I'm curious here, what you think would be the best way to deal with it.

Most definitely, and both of those conditions must be met to get the most benefit from it.

I completely agree. But not an answer to all is different from not an answer at all.

And yes, I broke your post down into each sentence and responded to it. I'm weird that way. Cheesy

Personally it bothers me the number of people who think that medication cures everything. Does it help with some things? Absolutely. Everything? Definitely not.

Ill respond with my opinion. I still don't like counciling and that's just that. Of course medication doesn't cure everything. We are ment to die at some point. Opposition is a law that always will exists. With birth comes death.

"How do you deal with a child with Depression and ADD" Medication and lots of love, lots of love and patience.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #5111 on: August 26, 2017, 01:37:59 AM »

Well said Viv

Darkside Points Please

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #5112 on: August 26, 2017, 03:48:47 AM »

All I see in here is a lot "counseling didn't work for me the one time I tried it, so it doesn't work." You guys sound a lot like the people who say things like "This store didn't have what I was looking for once, I'll never shop here again and I'll tell all my friends to do the same" or "I didn't like the Ford Taurus my mom gave me in high school, so all Ford vehicles must be crap, I'll never buy another as long as I live."

I know many people who have gone to a therapist for various issues, and almost all of them have said it helped them in some way. And honestly, the first session will always be lackluster, as the therapist's main goal is to get to know you a bit so you can get comfortable enough with each other to actually get you to open up so they can try and help. 

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #5113 on: August 26, 2017, 04:27:43 AM »

I hear you brother. I'm still trying to work out where and why this attitude arose. One thing I hear parents say sometimes is "I just want them to have what I didn't." Why? You didn't have 8 pairs of $300 trainers and you seem to have turned out OK.

There's no appreciation of the value of things. Everything given to them on a plate. This idea that education is currently touting of "Everyone is a winner" is harmful. What we should actually be doing is pointing out real winners in business and sport and saying "See that person there? They had to work really hard to get where they are." Kids come out of education today believing everyone is a winner then try and get a job/career to find out there's a harsh reality that no one has mentioned to them so far. Education should be about preparing young adults for the real world and all that entails. Not filling their head with blatant fantasy.

I'm going to have to bring George in on this one.

NSFW

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD9wgQc8O90" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD9wgQc8O90</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFWwEYun_rk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFWwEYun_rk</a>

Jediseth
Knight Commander

« Reply #5114 on: August 26, 2017, 01:41:18 PM »

All I see in here is a lot "counseling didn't work for me the one time I tried it, so it doesn't work." You guys sound a lot like the people who say things like "This store didn't have what I was looking for once, I'll never shop here again and I'll tell all my friends to do the same" or "I didn't like the Ford Taurus my mom gave me in high school, so all Ford vehicles must be crap, I'll never buy another as long as I live."

I know many people who have gone to a therapist for various issues, and almost all of them have said it helped them in some way. And honestly, the first session will always be lackluster, as the therapist's main goal is to get to know you a bit so you can get comfortable enough with each other to actually get you to open up so they can try and help.  

I've tried it three times with two different kids.  That's over 3 years of counciling and thousands of dollars. Yes I think it's crap, sorry if that upsets you. Maybe I just got stuck with bad counclers.  I can understand for you and some of the problems you've had counciling has probably been a benefit. From what I can tell it doesn't work so well for kids.

Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: