Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 559   Go Down
Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 1306714 times)
HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #8175 on: July 06, 2020, 09:49:00 PM »

I agree. 10,000 years of being bred to exhibit juvenile behaviors and traits means all dogs are puppies.
Mine is over 10yrs old and we are both getting "silver accents", but he'll always be my puppy.

-
my youngest son is 34 and will always be my baby boy

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #8176 on: July 06, 2020, 09:59:55 PM »

my youngest son is 34 and will always be my baby boy

I see 50 in the rear-view mirror, and I’m still my mother’s baby boy.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #8177 on: July 06, 2020, 11:26:13 PM »

Your outrage is completely understandable. 

Look at what you told us.  The only option to get results is clearly to file an official complaint.  Without that, the police have no grounds to do anything. 

Yes, I felt compelled to file an official complaint.  I had to.  If I felt for one moment that had taken the issue seriously and would have addressed it, I would have left it alone.  But the officer's lack of professionalism and smugness forced my hand to put it on paper.  You should have seen the nasty looks i was getting while doing so.  The anger coming from the other side of the glass was palpable.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #8178 on: July 07, 2020, 03:50:59 AM »

I've always been of the opinion that the sentence "I don't want to get someone/anyone in trouble" is one of the worst in pretty much any language.

You're not getting anyone in trouble, they're getting themselves in trouble for doing something they shouldn't. That applies whether they're doing anything from being lazy at work to recklessly endangering people due to bad driving.

I wonder how "funny" it would have been if they had caused or been in an accident on their way to the "fire."

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2792

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8179 on: July 07, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »

While I appreciate the job that first responders do, and public safety personnel of all branches in general, I have a problem with their lack of accountability.
Having a badge, whether police, fire, EMS, or whatever else, does NOT grant you extra rights or some sort of excusability for acting above or outside the law.  In fact, you should be held to a HIGHER standard and set a good example for the public at large... to my point...
Last night I'm driving down a main street through a nearby town at 6pm headed west, which means not only was there moderate "coming home from work" traffic, but also the sun is in our eyes.  Up ahead I see a vehicular commotion and hear at least a half a dozen drivers leaning on their horns and shouting.  I see a vehicle, not an official emergency vehicle, but a silver Chevy 2 door compact, driving head-on into oncoming traffic, weaving in and out between the shoulder and double yellows, like it was a chase scene in a movie.  I'm like, "Jesus, this guy is either loaded or he just stole this car!" I'm approaching an intersection, and before he passes me, he bangs a left in front of my truck and TEARS A$$ down a residential side street.  No exaggeration, 60-70 MPH.  I turn right and follow him, attempting to get a license plate.  From the time I turned (immediately after he did), he was 2 blocks ahead of me.  He came to another intersection and was unable to get through (not for lack of trying to go over the curb through the stop sign), which was the only reason I was able to catch up and get his plate#.  He then makes it through the intersection, not stopping at the stop sign and cuts off two cars causing them to screech to a stop to avoid T-boning him. 
He's about to pass the EMS building, and I'm thinking great, there's usually a cop there, maybe I can flag him down.  Then the car pulls into the EMS lot.  I'm like "Oh, you gotta be kidding me."  It is then that I see the little blue blinking light on the dashboard, and two guys jump out (appears to be a father and son) and I pull in behind them and yell "Hey!  Are you guys EMT's???" The old guy yells "Yeah!"  So I'm like "Where the hell do you get off driving like that?" The kid is laughing and the older guy is like "There's a FIRE!"  So I say "Well there's about to be an assault victim because you need your ass kicked for driving like that!  Are you TRYING to kill someone just to get to a fire call?"  The kid is still laughing and the guy just waves me off and runs inside to do whatever.  So I write down the vehicle description and the plate # and I call the police department asking to speak to the volunteer services coordinator.  They take my name and number and say someone will call me back.
Shortly before 10pm, (I had given up that anyone was going to call back that evening) I get a call from a police sergeant and asks me "What did you need, did you have a problem with something?" I said yes, and went through the story.  Then I get "So what can I do for you?"  I responded, "Well, I'd like to make sure that the volunteers in town who are responding to an emergency do so safely, and don't put our residents in danger while headed to calls."  His response was "So do you want to make a formal complaint?" I said no, I don't want anyone to get in trouble, I'm not like that, I just want someone to speak to this person and maybe all of the volunteers and make sure they know they need to drive safely and follow the law when responding to calls."  He sighs, and says "So if you don't want to file a complaint, why are you calling?  What do you want me to do?"  I said "I just told you, I want someone to make sure that these volunteers are driving safely and NOT putting lives at risk driving recklessly en route to emergency calls".  He says "Well you just said it yourself, it was an emergency".  I said "Are you kidding me right now?  You're telling me its ok to drive head on into oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road and speeding down residential streets just because theres an emergency call?  What happens if he causes an accident or God-forbid, runs over a kid?"  He goes "Did that happen? Did he hurt someone?"  I said "THANKFULLY NO."  .....   (papers rustling)   .....   "So How can I help you sir?"   I said "GET A F$#%ING DICTIONARY AND LOOK UP THE WORD "ACCOUNTABILITY"!!!!   And I hung up before I said something that would have gotten my house swatted.

Seriously?  Who do these people think they are?!?!?  And I KNOW how it works.  He was blowing it off to keep someone he probably works with (or for) out of trouble.  But I find it disgraceful and disgusting that our tax dollars go to these people who just as often as not, CAUSE the danger that they are supposed to be protecting us from, and when they're called out on it, YOU'RE the troublemaker. 

Again, I value the services these people provide.  I do.  I have a history of employment and volunteerism in the public safety field.  I appreciate the job and the dangers surrounding it.  But there's a serious lack of ethics training these days, an enourmous issue of inflated egos, false entitlements, and a severe god-complex that needs to end.  Lately those thin "whatever color" lines of service are just a division between them and the general public.  There is a severe disconnect where they think they are above us and need not answer for mistakes or misbehavior.
These people are PUBLIC SERVANTS.  They work FOR us.  They answer TO US.  Or they're supposed to, anyway. 

Volunteer firefighter, EMT, etc. or not, you still should get somewhere safe especially if it's an emergency. Otherwise, you're going to cause one or two yourself!  With that said, the guy has a minor with him and he's teaching the kid bad behavior who will think it's okay to drive like that.  Now, look at first responders. Although they do haul their behinds towards the emergency they do slow down and even stop and intersections to make sure the close is clear and we've all seen that one person who doesn't want to wait for the firetruck, EMT truck, etc. to cross so they take off first...

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #8180 on: July 07, 2020, 07:44:06 PM »

So I’m now stuck in a 14 day self Quarantine. Why? Because our lovely governor decided two days before Fourth of July to madate that anyone traveling to and from certain state had to do so. We were already out of town for over half our vacation when this mandate came down. So we didn’t have any prior warning that this would be an issue for us. Thankfully I had some extra vacation saved up. If I hadn’t my next bi-weakly paycheck would be $0 and I would be in world of hurt financially. So pissed off. Just because you wanted to curb outside travel a few days before a major holiday.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« Reply #8181 on: July 07, 2020, 09:49:09 PM »

Day 4....no Covid test results yet.

One piece of advice that I try to adhere to is, don't worry until it's time to worry.   But that nonsense goes straight out the window when it's about your kid.

Not that he's terribly sick, but he's got something going on, and it's the not knowing that's eating away at me.

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

« Reply #8182 on: July 07, 2020, 10:26:09 PM »

Day 4....no Covid test results yet.

One piece of advice that I try to adhere to is, don't worry until it's time to worry.   But that nonsense goes straight out the window when it's about your kid.

Not that he's terribly sick, but he's got something going on, and it's the not knowing that's eating away at me.

Hope and prayers for you sir

Own

Wish list

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

« Reply #8183 on: July 07, 2020, 10:28:21 PM »

Hope and prayers for you sir

Thanks, I appreciate it.  Apparently 2020's decided it hasn't messed with us enough, yet.

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
Shock - Consular Green

FAMILY SABERS:
Savior - Violet Amethyst

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #8184 on: July 08, 2020, 12:16:50 AM »

I think my wife hates her job.
A job we spent years trying to get her.
I work for a large insurance company and now she does too, although completely separate departments.

It's literally the best job she's ever had because she's not yet a citizen and had to take lesser jobs when she just had her work visa.
Best pay and benefits she's ever had, but the stress has made her cry several times.
I really want to be supportive but most of her issues are stuff I and my peers have learned to overcome. It seems easy to me, but for her the slightest conflict is too much.

And what sucks is that I know she'll never find a company that treats their employees as well as ours does, so I want her to just toughen up, but that makes me feel like a bad husband.
I feel like most of her stress is self inflicted due to low confidence, but she hates when I give her the "mind over matter" spiel.

I really hope it gets better for her.

-

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

« Reply #8185 on: July 08, 2020, 12:41:38 AM »

I work for a large insurance company and now she does too, although completely separate departments.

It's literally the best job she's ever had because she's not yet a citizen and had to take lesser jobs when she just had her work visa.
Best pay and benefits she's ever had, but the stress has made her cry several times.
I really want to be supportive but most of her issues are stuff I and my peers have learned to overcome. It seems easy to me, but for her the slightest conflict is too much.

And what sucks is that I know she'll never find a company that treats their employees as well as ours does, so I want her to just toughen up, but that makes me feel like a bad husband.
I feel like most of her stress is self inflicted due to low confidence, but she hates when I give her the "mind over matter" spiel.

-

Be patient with her, and be supportive of her.  Try to keep in mind that not everyone handles stressful situations well; what might be no big deal for some might result in crippling anxiety for someone else. And even if you mean it well, "mind over matter" doesn't come that easily to some people.  There's no on/off switch.

I know this because my wife was the same way; stuff that didn't bother me that much would stress her out to maximum levels.  Some people are just wired that way; she knew it, and admitted that she couldn't help it.  And there were times that I would lose my patience a little and I regret it now.   I wish I handled some moments better than I did.  Mostly I did okay, but there were some times that weren't so good.

After her work day is done and it's been a stressful day, ask what you can do to help her out, to help her de-stress.  Even if it's just to listen to her vent.  And then be encouraging of her.  Is it hard?  Yes, but that's part of being married.

Find out what you can do to help, and hang in there.  Good luck to you both.

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
Shock - Consular Green

FAMILY SABERS:
Savior - Violet Amethyst

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

« Reply #8186 on: July 08, 2020, 01:06:18 AM »

Be patient with her, and be supportive of her.  Try to keep in mind that not everyone handles stressful situations well; what might be no big deal for some might result in crippling anxiety for someone else. And even if you mean it well, "mind over matter" doesn't come that easily to some people.  There's no on/off switch.

I know this because my wife was the same way; stuff that didn't bother me that much would stress her out to maximum levels.  Some people are just wired that way; she knew it, and admitted that she couldn't help it.  And there were times that I would lose my patience a little and I regret it now.   I wish I handled some moments better than I did.  Mostly I did okay, but there were some times that weren't so good.

After her work day is done and it's been a stressful day, ask what you can do to help her out, to help her de-stress.  Even if it's just to listen to her vent.  And then be encouraging of her.  Is it hard?  Yes, but that's part of being married.

Find out what you can do to help, and hang in there.  Good luck to you both.

Some good advice there Jedi

Own

Wish list

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

« Reply #8187 on: July 08, 2020, 01:13:03 AM »

Some good advice there Jedi

Thanks.  One learns from experience, right?

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
Shock - Consular Green

FAMILY SABERS:
Savior - Violet Amethyst

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

« Reply #8188 on: July 08, 2020, 01:19:44 AM »

Life has always been the best teacher

Own

Wish list

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #8189 on: July 08, 2020, 02:42:06 AM »

Be patient with her, and be supportive of her.  Try to keep in mind that not everyone handles stressful situations well; what might be no big deal for some might result in crippling anxiety for someone else. And even if you mean it well, "mind over matter" doesn't come that easily to some people.  There's no on/off switch.

I know this because my wife was the same way; stuff that didn't bother me that much would stress her out to maximum levels.  Some people are just wired that way; she knew it, and admitted that she couldn't help it.  And there were times that I would lose my patience a little and I regret it now.   I wish I handled some moments better than I did.  Mostly I did okay, but there were some times that weren't so good.

After her work day is done and it's been a stressful day, ask what you can do to help her out, to help her de-stress.  Even if it's just to listen to her vent.  And then be encouraging of her.  Is it hard?  Yes, but that's part of being married.

Find out what you can do to help, and hang in there.  Good luck to you both.

What he said, with a couple of additions from my experience.

1) One thing I've learned, probably later in life than I should have, is that sometimes people want to vent/talk, and get your input/advice in return. But sometimes people just want to talk/vent, and have you say "It'll be ok. I love you." without a critique of what they could/should have done better/different. And sometimes they just want a back rub.

You "think?" Have you asked her how she feels about it?

Blunt honesty: You sound a little resentful that she's unhappy. My interpretation of this (and feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but think about it for a couple of minutes first) is that you, at least in some part, feel that given all the work that went into getting her the job, a great deal of which was probably done by you, that she should just "suck it up, take the arrow to the knee, get over it, and drive on." And while I obviously cannot read her mind, 3rd year psychology says that in addition to being stressed out, she's also, if not there already, on the road to being resentful that you "forced" her into a job that she's miserable at. Of course this also leads to the issue that if she leaves, she's going to feel guilty that you put in all that work to get her the job and it didn't work out.

I really want to be supportive but most of her issues are stuff I and my peers have learned to overcome. It seems easy to me, but for her the slightest conflict is too much. I feel like most of her stress is self inflicted due to low confidence, but she hates when I give her the "mind over matter" spiel.

[I moved the last sentence up to here so I can respond to it better.] So don't give her the "mind over matter" speech. Mostly because that's not what this is. If anything it would need to be a "mind over mind" speech, since stress/anxiety is mental. So instead of just saying that, try to tell her how you and your peers learned to overcome the issues. Also I've found that voodoo dolls of my co-workers does wonders (for anyone wondering, no, I'm not joking).

2) I don't think you're a bad husband. A bad husband would just blow her off and tell her to get over it. You at least seem concerned about her and how she feels.

3) You know what they say about "hope:" that and 50 cents will get you some Death Star plans and a cup of coffee. BUT IT NEVER SOLVES ANYTHING.

Last: It's the best job she's ever had so far in her life, the pay is excellent, the benefits are awesome, and NONE of that matters if she's miserable. I know that in this day and age, money rules most things, but mental health is always more important. I guarantee you that, if she had a job making less money, with not as good benefits, but it was one she was happy at, that both of your lives would be better.

So, some further suggestions:
4) Is it possible for her to transfer to a different department (and obviously still different from the one you're in), still at he same company? I guess I should have asked if what she is having trouble with is conflict with co-workers, or conflict with customers?

5) Be supportive, no matter what happens. If the job just doesn't work out, give her a hug and tell her you love her. When she apologizes for all the work you did to get her the job and she couldn't do it (I guarantee you it will happen), just shrug, tell her that she tried, and that she'll just need to find something else. Which reminds me, at any point did you ask her if she wanted to work there? Was it something she just went along with because, hey the money's good, the benefits are good, I get to work at the same place as my husband, that sounds good. Or was she actively interested/excited in what she would be doing as her job?

I'm going to point out, again, that despite everything, you are not a bad person or husband. That you care about her is proof of that. Now, at my standard rate, that will be !450.00. No, Republic Credits will not be fine. Seriously, quit saying that and waving your hand around like the Karate Kid. *sigh* light siders...

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 559   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: