Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 41   Go Down
Author Topic: The Knife and Sword Thread  (Read 181212 times)
Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2018, 05:21:43 PM »

I can't remember the exact number, but I'm thinking the hardness was at 60-65 on the scale...

Spine bending?  Not that I saw...lol  It's like 1/8" thick.  Tough SOB - I was batoning wood. Wink   It held up great - then shaved my arm hair...lol

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2018, 06:46:11 PM »

I can't remember the exact number, but I'm thinking the hardness was at 60-65 on the scale...

Spine bending?  Not that I saw...lol  It's like 1/8" thick.  Tough SOB - I was batoning wood. Wink   It held up great - then shaved my arm hair...lol

You tend to encounter/notice blade bends and flex less with shorter blades.  I assure you, it can flex.  If the edge is 60-65, it will hold an edge very well, though take a bit of elbow grease to sharpen when it does dull.  Also, watch for impacts on things harder than it is (some rocks, some other metals), as harder can chip as opposed to deform.  Sounds like a great all around woodsman blade, presuming the handle feels good to your hand.  Me, I am not a fan of batoning with most blades.  It's just not what most blades were meant to stand up to.  That said, when I get pics up of my boarding kukri, I'd baton with that all day, though usually, it just splits most anything up to around 4 inches in diameter.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2018, 07:17:22 PM »

Of course, but no one is 100%  100% of the time.   

"They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time." - Brian Fantana

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »

Did I say 1/8"?  It's closer to 1/4", I think...yes, I know it does bend.  Not at all noticeable though, and you can indeed stab & twist. Smiley  It's classed as "combat/utility" actually.  Whatever - works for me.  Like you said.  Batoning, and feather sticking is the most it will likely ever do, and not that often - though I do have a fire pit here. Wink

It's pretty solid.  The grip is excellent.  Nice any rubbery - your hands could be wet, greasy, or whatever - I like that a lot.  While it has great palm swells, it does feel a bit thin.  Basically though, you can feel the tang beneath it, and it just feels like a solid hunk of steel.  Smiley

It has a "stone washed" finish, so no firesteel. 

Here's the specs for the regular Strongarm (420HC steel): Gerber Strongarm.

Mine has exactly the same specs, just different steel. 

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2018, 09:13:11 PM »

Here are a few of my nicer blades, first, the two of my Badger Blades that I have with me;

First, my boarding cutlass:

Then my boarding kukri:

And finally my Seax with Scottish Dirk style handle, completely made by hand by my late friend, Little John the Blacksmith, including the copper nails and the brass skull butt cap:

And lastly my hand made "Sailor's knife"  by a bladesmith by the name of Shark:

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2018, 09:21:09 PM »

I'm digging that kukri. Nice scabbard too.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2018, 09:26:51 PM »

All this blade talk has me itching to dispatch some water jugs

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #232 on: May 05, 2018, 09:28:18 PM »

I'm digging that kukri. Nice scabbard too.

Thanks, all of those have custom scabbards, that was the only one made it in the shot.  The one for the shark is on my belt...

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #233 on: May 05, 2018, 10:26:29 PM »

OOOO - very nice Illyiss. 

I really like that cutlass.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #234 on: May 05, 2018, 10:32:51 PM »

OOOO - very nice Illyiss. 

I really like that cutlass.

Thanks, that's my boarding cutlass.  I have a cutlass from Badger as well, it's just still with my leather guy. 

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #235 on: May 05, 2018, 11:35:15 PM »

This..This is my dream Albion.  The Discerner.   Some of you may recognize it as Excalibur from the film of the same name.  The first 3 swords I fell in love with as a child were He-Man's sword of Power, Conan's Atlantean and this beauty right here.

It has a very interesting history as well.  Apparently it is a sword that suppsoedly existed.  But no one who worked on Excalibur remembers researching it.   If you would like to read about it.....

http://filmswords.com/sle/discerner.htm

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #236 on: May 05, 2018, 11:50:42 PM »

Here are a few of my nicer blades, first, the two of my Badger Blades that I have with me;

First, my boarding cutlass:

Then my boarding kukri:

And finally my Seax with Scottish Dirk style handle, completely made by hand by my late friend, Little John the Blacksmith, including the copper nails and the brass skull butt cap:

And lastly my hand made "Sailor's knife"  by a bladesmith by the name of Shark:

I absolutely love your cutlass and kukri Illyiss!  The leatherwork is fantastic!

This..This is my dream Albion.  The Discerner.   Some of you may recognize it as Excalibur from the film of the same name.  The first 3 swords I fell in love with as a child were He-Man's sword of Power, Conan's Atlantean and this beauty right here.

It has a very interesting history as well.  Apparently it is a sword that suppsoedly existed.  But no one who worked on Excalibur remembers researching it.   If you would like to read about it.....

http://filmswords.com/sle/discerner.htm

Like you DT, the Excalibur was my first love as well.  Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that particular Albion run about $2000?

Great taste nevertheless!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2018, 11:57:38 PM »

That is nice. If were going to talk about dream swords, mine would be the Paul Chen Tiger Katana. I've had my eye on this for about ten years.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2018, 11:58:32 PM »

I absolutely love your cutlass and kukri Illyiss!  The leatherwork is fantastic!
Like you DT, the Excalibur was my first love as well.  Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that particular Albion run about $2000?

I absolutely love your cutlass and kukri Illyiss!  The leatherwork is fantastic!
Like you DT, the Excalibur was my first love as well.  Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that particular Albion run about $2000?

$2200  to be exact...thats why it isn't in a display case on my wall right now :p

That is nice. If were going to talk about dream swords, mine would be the Paul Chen Tiger Katana. I've had my eye on this for about ten years.

Thats a beaut

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2018, 06:36:30 AM »

Those are some awesome blades Illyiss. I really love the design of kukris (kukrii? Not sure what the plural of kukri is).

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 41   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: