Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: Makeshift Unorthodox Costume (In Progress)  (Read 35627 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2020, 11:28:44 PM »

Another quick practice video, not going fast at all, more just to get the moves and sequence down, as I changed a few things a bit:

https://i.imgur.com/jYAg40C.mp4

Assuming I pick up the speed a little bit, do you guys think it would be a sufficient quality presentation to submit to Darth Cephalus' Spin Wars?

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2020, 10:33:14 PM »

good news! My "outer tunic" like yours has arrived. pictures to follow soon…

Gotta chop those arms off first. Did you just follow the line of the seam?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2020, 10:53:57 PM »

good news! My "outer tunic" like yours has arrived. pictures to follow soon…

Gotta chop those arms off first. Did you just follow the line of the seam?
Nice! I tried to follow a bit outside the seam, to keep the seam intact, which keeps the sleeve-hole tighter. One one of them I did it properly, but on the other I ended up cutting into the seam on part of it, which is why you can see one sleeve looks a bit bigger and more worn than the other. You can see it in these images:

I don't think either way is objectively "wrong," but I intended to keep the seams intact, if only to try to maintain long-term durability. But it seems to be holding up well with admittedly very minimal use as-is, and doesn't seem to be particularly fragile or delicate regardless.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2020, 03:19:25 AM »

I agree with your rationale 100%.  I want to keep the seams intact too just to preserve durability. However I'm probably going to beat this up a little and try to weather it up along with the rest of the intended parts. I don't like the idea of a pristine, newly minted Sith Lord :-) With a black wrap tunic and obi (getting a decently cheap one on amazon) & the turtleneck/neckseal combo, I think it will look nice. I keep toying with the idea of a wine red turtleneck to add a splash of color under the tunic. Who knows?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2020, 03:27:13 AM »

I agree with your rationale 100%.  I want to keep the seams intact too just to preserve durability. However I'm probably going to beat this up a little and try to weather it up along with the rest of the intended parts. I don't like the idea of a pristine, newly minted Sith Lord :-) With a black wrap tunic and obi (getting a decently cheap one on amazon) & the turtleneck/neckseal combo, I think it will look nice. I keep toying with the idea of a wine red turtleneck to add a splash of color under the tunic. Who knows?
Makes sense. I guess you can always cut it a little uneven/jagged/etc. and keep the seam intact. In my case, if the sleeve I cut the seam off does start to wear a bit, then it'll be part of the look, unless it got the point of interfering with functionality, which I'd imagine would be a LONG time before that happens. Wine red could look nice for a splash of color as you said. Would that mean that the arms would also be that color, or do you have something else over it for the arms? Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing your outfit come together.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2020, 07:59:51 PM »

Assuming I pick up the speed a little bit, do you guys think it would be a sufficient quality presentation to submit to Darth Cephalus' Spin Wars?

Might as well, still a few weeks people can so I'd do it if I thought I could. Sadly, I won't in all likelihood have received mine, but that'd be awesome. Pretty sure he edits them all together to music? So I could see how yours would fit in with what I've seen so far this year. He makes them all seem to flow together pretty well, I enjoyed watching through them. It sounds fun.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2020, 08:07:57 PM »

Might as well, still a few weeks people can so I'd do it if I thought I could. Sadly, I won't in all likelihood have received mine, but that'd be awesome. Pretty sure he edits them all together to music? So I could see how yours would fit in with what I've seen so far this year. He makes them all seem to flow together pretty well, I enjoyed watching through them. It sounds fun.
Thanks. Master Resolute has recently directed me to some of his videos that have been both inspirational and instructional, so I think I'll try to incorporate some of the things I've picked up from him into my routine, particularly a few spins and transitions from spins he has some tutorials for. Fingers crossed you get yours soon.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2020, 12:19:45 AM »

it wouuld be the wine red turtleneck (utilizing the neck fr the neckseal) under a basic black tunic (thus covering arms) ad the faux tabards over top. bracers cape and shoulder armor to round it out

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2020, 12:31:59 AM »

it wouuld be the wine red turtleneck (utilizing the neck fr the neckseal) under a basic black tunic (thus covering arms) ad the faux tabards over top. bracers cape and shoulder armor to round it out
Ah, I see. Then I think you may be right in that just a splash of color could look quite nice without being overwhelming if the sleeves were also visibly that color.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2020, 04:24:40 AM »

Random semi-costume related thought or question:

How difficult do you think it would be to make a Beskar spear à la what the Magistrate used and Din Djarin now has in The Mandalorian? It's obviously a spear, but it appears to me that one could make something that looks pretty spot-on with just a roughly 5.5 to 6 foot pole/shaft with the spearhead on top. I know Home Depot sells 6' aluminum pipe (3/4" inner diameter with a 1.050" outer diameter seems like a good thickness) for ~$21, and should weight about 2.33lbs (~38oz). From there you'd just have to be able to attach an accurate looking spearhead. I have yet to see any actual metal spearheads modeled after the Beskar spear, seen below:

Although this one doesn't come too far from it:

It weighs 1.25 pounds itself, and fits on a 1.25" diameter shaft, so the 1.050 inch diameter aluminum pipe wouldn't work. Although the combination would weigh a bit over 3.5 pounds, so about half a pound heavier than my saberstaff.

Hell, if this was all sprayed to be the same "metal" color like Beskar, it would probably be pretty similar looking for $80 total, and ~3.25lbs total. The most noticeable difference I see is that this one has a bit longer sleeve that goes over the shaft, although this would be much less noticeable if they were the same color.

Although a solid steel spearhead could be a bit much, so maybe some PVC pipe, or still a wood staff/shaft, sprayed with some metallic spray paint and a more forgiving material spearhead would make for a better practice or sparring tool, if not the same level of awesome costume piece. Even with UltraEdge Heavy Grade blades, I don't imagine you'd want to do even non-full contact sparring against a 3+ pound spear, and if that spearhead came in contact with anything, lightsaber blade or otherwise, I'd imagine it would do significant damage if it had any speed behind it, which is not what you want. I suppose a wooden staff/shaft instead of an aluminum one would be better for sparring, but that steel spearhead just seems like it would absolutely wreck anything it came in contact with, which makes it sound like it would only be suited for display/costume purposes, or exhibition purposes for someone skilled enough with it to not hit themselves with it.

I know I JUST got my saberstaff, and I LOVE it, but I guess I have something in common with General Grievous in that I want another fine addition to my collection, and I love staff-type weapons.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2020, 05:30:29 PM »

you have competition....

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2020, 06:11:54 PM »

For a spear that's hard to consider, from my knowledge anyway, how to build something NOT damaging. I love halberds and such with greater diversity of use than just the stabbing type of thrust. If you wanted something you could use to spar or do something with lightsaber contact I'd say yea plastic of course. The edge not being honed is obviously important but I don't know what strengths of materials are out there to construct something. I'd try something similar to what the lightsaber blades are made of, maybe with paint inside it or mixed into it when it's made to give it a more metallic look? I could see a highly reflective/metallic paint poured inside a hollow but thick enough plastic spearhead possibly giving off the right look from afar. Maybe with a 3D printer (if you know someone with one) they could fashion you a starting point or prototype? Or a mold used to make a spearhead from something poured into it...

It basically could just be a trophy weapon you gained on a journey, some relic from an ancient Sith/ result of one trying to kill you. So you're keeping it out of the wrong hands and not "hesitating" to wield it when necessary. I say this just because I've seen awesome pictures of ancient Sith swords and vibroblades I always thought were cool.

http://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/f/fe/SavageOpressSpear-SWE.png/revision/latest?cb=20160913232413
http://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/3/3a/Scepterofragnos.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141004020453

Don't think the links work right, Savage's spear and Scepter of (Marka) Ragnos

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2020, 06:50:44 PM »

For a spear that's hard to consider, from my knowledge anyway, how to build something NOT damaging. I love halberds and such with greater diversity of use than just the stabbing type of thrust. If you wanted something you could use to spar or do something with lightsaber contact I'd say yea plastic of course. The edge not being honed is obviously important but I don't know what strengths of materials are out there to construct something. I'd try something similar to what the lightsaber blades are made of, maybe with paint inside it or mixed into it when it's made to give it a more metallic look? I could see a highly reflective/metallic paint poured inside a hollow but thick enough plastic spearhead possibly giving off the right look from afar. Maybe with a 3D printer (if you know someone with one) they could fashion you a starting point or prototype? Or a mold used to make a spearhead from something poured into it...

It basically could just be a trophy weapon you gained on a journey, some relic from an ancient Sith/ result of one trying to kill you. So you're keeping it out of the wrong hands and not "hesitating" to wield it when necessary. I say this just because I've seen awesome pictures of ancient Sith swords and vibroblades I always thought were cool.

http://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/f/fe/SavageOpressSpear-SWE.png/revision/latest?cb=20160913232413
http://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/3/3a/Scepterofragnos.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141004020453

Don't think the links work right, Savage's spear and Scepter of (Marka) Ragnos

Just checked out those weapons, very nice. I think that for sparring purposes, the cheapest and easiest option would just be a ~6' PVC "pole" with a 3D printed spearhead attached to it. And they could both be sprayed with some metallic paint, but I guess paint chipping onto opposing sabers could be why you suggested something with paint on the inside instead of just on the outside? Would clear coat help mitigate that, or not really?

I know PVC comes in 6' lengths with the right width/diameter for very cheap, and is quite durable and strong at that width, but not hard enough to damage polycarbonate saber blades when sparring I'd imagine.

Something I'll consider going forwards I suppose.

It looks like one Etsy seller has a spearhead modeled after the Beskar Spear that should be suitable for sparring:

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2020, 07:25:57 PM »

Yeah, you're right, a clear coat done in a few layers might last long enough to avoid paint transfer. That's exactly what I feared happening to other saber blades on contact.

You're also alright keeping a beskar spear as some kind of souvenir from the Mandalorian War in KOTOR era, even if your Jedi isn't from/living in that era; it could be some relic from the temple that was brought back after that war... handed down to your master and entrusted to you. Tons of reasons you could train to use it, like wanting a weapon less damaging on contact than your lightsaber but still able to parry one (with serious skill). You know how easy you can trip up, disarm, or knock out a foe with the blunt end of a spear without having to bring the tip to bear. Pretty Light Side aligned to wield that in a time with potentially heavy lightsaber use, and removing your ability to deflect blaster bolts too. Still just fun to use anyway.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2020, 07:49:58 PM »

Yeah, you're right, a clear coat done in a few layers might last long enough to avoid paint transfer. That's exactly what I feared happening to other saber blades on contact.

You're also alright keeping a beskar spear as some kind of souvenir from the Mandalorian War in KOTOR era, even if your Jedi isn't from/living in that era; it could be some relic from the temple that was brought back after that war... handed down to your master and entrusted to you. Tons of reasons you could train to use it, like wanting a weapon less damaging on contact than your lightsaber but still able to parry one (with serious skill). You know how easy you can trip up, disarm, or knock out a foe with the blunt end of a spear without having to bring the tip to bear. Pretty Light Side aligned to wield that in a time with potentially heavy lightsaber use, and removing your ability to deflect blaster bolts too. Still just fun to use anyway.
Good points. A non-saber staff or spear could provide a less-lethal way to take on fights, which is a pretty light-side oriented strategy. But it can also perhaps have other uses, such as combating opponents wearing saber-resistant armor? I read that, at least in Legends, cortosis could temporarily short out lightsabers. Having a spearhead that's made of Beskar can have actual combat benefits too, and should be able to stab through at least some saber resistant armor I'd think. I know real steel spears had trouble piercing steel plate armor IIRC (so the weapon and armor being made of the same material, just like a Beskar spear vs Beskar armor would be), but perhaps with force-augmented strength, it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility for a Beskar spear to even pierce Beskar armor? Although I'd still think aiming for the body parts not covered by Beskar armor would likely be a better option in general.

Not to mention that even though a saberstaff provides additional defensive options relative to a normal lightsaber, a beskar spear/staff provides potentially even more potential conditional benefits. With a saberstaff, you can only hold it somewhat offset, to give a bit more reach than a normal saber (an extra normal hilt length at most usually), while with an entirely Beskar staff/spear, you can hold it all the way back at one end, giving you incredible reach and range with it, which has offensive and defensive benefits. I could even see potential utility in running a Beskar spear/staff AND a saber, one in each hand, although perhaps just using one saber as opposed to the staff would be much more manageable, especially without a ton of training.

Honestly I just want an excuse to be able to use a ~6' staff as another in-universe weapon haha, since I could likely get some additional moves and speed with it, just for fun and practice.

Hell, Master Vodo literally just imbued a wooden staff with the Force and fought lightsabers with it, although it didn't hold up to a full onslaught from Exar Kun. And Chirrut Îmwe made quick work of fodder Storm Troopers using only a flame-hardened wooden staff, so a Beskar staff or spear should be quite a formidable weapon in the right hands, especially when you have the option to use that OR a saberstaff, depending on the situation.

And I do have a 6' PVC bo staff case on the way, which should be able to fit 2 staffs, so even if I'm not keeping one saber from the staff attached to each side of my belt, I should be able to keep the saberstaff AND a "Beskar" staff/spear in the case on my back.

So if I had a 6' staff, it would fit. If I went with a spear, it would either have to be 6' or less with the spearhead attached, or have a removable spearhead.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: