Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Down
Author Topic: Knights of the Old Republic  (Read 67463 times)
James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« on: November 18, 2016, 01:04:29 PM »

I know there are folks out there who love this game, even still play it to this day. So I was wondering... Why?

I bought the game when it first came out. I had trouble getting it to run on my PC - I had to start a new game every time I played and sit through the unskippable intro because for some reason it wouldn't load saved games until I had a game running. I lost interest quickly and took the game back for a refund.

A few years ago I picked up an SW games bundle on Steam, with KOTOR being one of them. I installed it, played through the first few hours or so up 'til the point where you start fighting the Rakghoul things. That's where I lost interest.

Maybe it's just me; I found the gameworld hard to navigate and combat frustrating, and the apparent need to obsessively manage inventory bugs me in any game I play, so that counted against it too. Even with the SW background and apparently wonderful story, I just couldn't get into it.

I feel I'm missing out here - this is the undisputed legend among SW games, even more so than TIE Fighter and the Rogue Squadron games, so hopefully someone on here can sell me on the game. I'd like to take another crack at it and see if I can get into it at last - that, or I'll just have to accept that it's always going to be a game I'll just never click with.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:40:32 PM »

I recently bought it, and same as you, can't get into it. I had really high expectations and I was also expecting to play as a force user, being a SW game.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:53:04 PM »

Let's see, I first played it way back in the day, 2004, I think, on the XBOX.  I played it all the way through and loved it.  I've played it through on the PC and I even have it on my Kindle Fire, along with an XBOX copy.  (the one I played 12 or so years ago wasn't mine, but I've since bought it)

The main reason I still play and love it to this day is due to the story.  I really love it.  It's long and well written.  The characters are all really cool, especially once you get into the back stories of your companion characters.  Aside from the story, there's lots to do in the game, plenty of quests and side quests.  Furthermore, the choice of going either Light Side or Dark Side is really cool, I've done both more than once.  You can also decide to play as either a male or female, and the game adapts to that.  Aside from deciding the path you take, you can also create any type of character you want, within the limits of the game engine.  Want to be a smuggler who becomes a Jedi Consular and throws Force Lightning?  Sure, why not?  You can literally pick any combination of abilities and powers that are available.  This adds to the replay value as you can make different choices next time and have a different experience.  Also, you have some say in how things go as, after the second planet, you can fly around the galaxy and do the next few planets in whatever order you want.  This also adds variety.  Unfortunately, many games today, even in the same genre, are missing this level of customization and going for more cookie cutter archetypes.  (looking at you, SWTOR)

But, I can see where this type of game isn't for everyone.  As I said, it's long.  It's not an action game, it's a roleplaying game.  Thus, there is a lot of story and there are long conversations to be had.  You have to do a lot of wandering around, exploring to find your quest goals, etc.  Some people prefer more straightforward games, and that's cool.  To each their own.  I like those too.

Anywho, that's what KOTOR is for me, just a wonderful SW experience.  However, it won't be for everyone.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 03:53:53 PM »

So you do become a Force user? I suspected as much. I'm stuck trying to find Ragkhoul serum.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 04:02:47 PM »

Yeah, the title is kind of a giveaway.  Wink  In the second game, you actually start as a Jedi who has lost their connection to the Force, but you start getting it back at level 1.  The first one makes you wait until level 8-10, depending on how much stuff you do on the first planet, to get to the point where you're a Jedi.  Both make you wait some time for that lightsaber, though.

A corpse in the Undercity has that serum you're looking for.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:09:55 PM »

Thanks.

That's my problem, I can't figure out how to get to the undercity.  Embarrassed

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 05:49:27 PM »

Ah.  It can take a bit of figuring out.  Have you made it to the Lower City or are you still in the Upper City?

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 07:15:46 PM »

Ah.  It can take a bit of figuring out.  Have you made it to the Lower City or are you still in the Upper City?

It's been a little while. I think I quit in my room in the apartment building.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 05:44:42 AM »

Both KOTORs really suffer from tedious intros (the second less so because it automatically introduces Force abilities), but once you get past them they're really worth it.

The first one is like a personal variation on ANH, capturing the same sense of fun as the movie with its own great cast of characters. The second one is more interesting because it directly challenges the binary view of the Force, changing how you view it while introducing fascinating developments to the lore (it's the only EU material I miss). However, KOTOR 2 doesn't reach the heights it should because of an unfortunately rushed production, but it's still worth it.

Just get past those annoying intro planets and you'll be fine. The first one is especially fun when you go through all of the sidequests.  Smiley

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 02:37:26 PM »

In the first one, you can really build up your character's other abilities before becoming a Jedi.  Though, I agree, it would be nice if you started out as one.  But, that's obviously not how they wanted to do it, and it does fit with the story.  Though, if you ignore everything else and only do the quests on Taris that will get you off the planet, you can leave at a lower level.  This has a lot of advantages, not the least of which is more Force power towards the end of the game, as they increase with each level.  I've done this before on some of my play throughs where I (obviously) wasn't as worried about 100% completion as I normally am.  Wink

I do like in the second game how you start off as a Jedi.  You start getting Force abilities back the first time you level up.  In a lot of ways, that game was an improvement over the first.  Too bad Obsidian made such a mess of things with the release and released a game that's notorious for its bugs and incomplete things.  Though, if you play it on the computer with the restored content mod, you can see just how much better the game is, as the mod fixes most of the issues.

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 05:29:52 PM »

Though, if you ignore everything else and only do the quests on Taris that will get you off the planet, you can leave at a lower level.  This has a lot of advantages, not the least of which is more Force power towards the end of the game, as they increase with each level.  I've done this before on some of my play throughs where I (obviously) wasn't as worried about 100% completion as I normally am.  Wink
Well, that would be an idea, too Wink
Twice so far I did it the hard way: Do every side-quest on Tarsis to gather experience, but do NOT click on the level up for my main char Wink
The advantage of this is that you can get several levels (six IIRC) in your selected Jedi class immediately after choosing it.

PS: Yes, even the arena duels; defeating Bendak Starkiller requires a lot of retries, luck and grenades Wink

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 06:49:06 PM »

Don't forget a good shield for Bendak.  That's a tough fight either way.  Personally, I don't worry about it.  I just do everything on Taris and level up as intended.  I usually have enough Force abilities later in the game to suffice.  In the second game, meanwhile, you will have massive Force power no matter what you do (or don't do) throughout the game.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 05:22:36 PM »

Been a while since I've played, but let me give you an idea of how much I like it.

I almost never play games through to the end. Either I lose interest, or it just doesn't happen, or I spend all my time roaming around open worlds doing the little quests everywhere and never finishing the main (yep, done this many times across various Elderscrolls). It's a very large achievement for me to finish a game, one of the few others are Halo 1-3.

In saying that, I've finished KOTOR I and II a few times over (and on other occasions almost to the end, and other occasions part way through. I don't get so much time for gaming these days and if I've gone too long since playing I prefer to restart). I love the story, I love the characters, I love the worlds. I love that you need certain characters with you on certain quests. I love that your actions and interactions affect things. It can be a pain in the butt sometimes running back and forth completing missions since there's no quick travel but at the same time I also love that about the game. You cant 'cheat', you just gotta leg it. Yes it can be tedious, but I love the fact there are soooo many hours of gameplay- not like a modern game where the storyline lasts 4-8 hours and you are done... Until/ if they release more DLC gameplay. Yes its buggy, especially on Tatooine. Just settle in and wait while the computer/ console eventually catches up and let's you do the next few seconds of combat with the Sand People Roll Eyes . Personally I've always played it on Xbox, my steam copies I had a decade ago were so buggy all they did was crash, and it runs better than most Xbox original games on the 360.

I love all the side missions, all the little quests, the lore it adds to the SW EU. Best general advice, talk to anyone you can, and search and loot everything- which is what I love doing, yes I'm one of those strange people. My specialty in ES Morrowind is taking every little item that I can manage without getting caught Tongue not so much for the money but because I find it amusing to strip every building bare, mark and recall spells were my best friends Cheesy (PS yes it is incredibly fun putting buckets on people's heads in Skyrim to steal stuff while they are watching became you are no longer considered in their line of sight!) so I tend to go nuts looting in most games if it's available, and it's a good tactic in KOTOR. You find side quests, bonuses and answers/ quest items that way. Also explore everything. I'm sure some people find that stuff boring, but I love that tedious stuff. From memory in KOTOR I choosing Dark or Light as opposed to grey was more advantageous in terms of powers, it really did affect them (eg lightning when you were a lightsider was more expensive to use and less effective but Light side powers were really strong and effective) whereas in KOTOR II they dumbed that down. Towards the end of the second all you did was walk into a room, use the Force Storm ability, everyone dies, on to the next room to repeat regardless of your alignment. Fun at first, but it gets a bit boring and overpowered after a while.

Also... I love the Ebon Hawk. I've got a soft spot for smuggler freighters, and I love it when you can run around your ship and interact with characters.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 09:59:30 PM »

The KOTOR games are fantastic, but I'll admit that they can be a bit rough to start.  Both have somewhat tedious introductions, but once you get off Taris... everything is going to get really interesting, believe me!  There's a ton of awesome experiences in that game, as well as twists, so I think you'll find those entertaining.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 11:03:24 PM »

The KOTOR games are fantastic, but I'll admit that they can be a bit rough to start.  Both have somewhat tedious introductions, but once you get off Taris... everything is going to get really interesting, believe me!  There's a ton of awesome experiences in that game, as well as twists, so I think you'll find those entertaining.

I guess I should try playing again. It's trying to find that rakghoul serum thing that finally made me stop.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: