Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
Author Topic: Why do you like Star Wars so much?  (Read 49122 times)
Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2016, 03:35:37 PM »

Is that possible I have my silver saber because the first SW movie I saw as a kid (Ep4 back in the very early 1980s) was on our black and white television?
I remember how sweet that moment was when Luke fired up that Graflex first time in Obi-Wan's hut - I was having 5 Oreo-sort of cookies (called "Pilot" in my country) on a little plate: it became a kind of a "prototype meal" I went on having later on for years when a good movie was on the plate, so I stopped eating in that moment and just watched that amazing, vibrant silver blade humming around in Luke's hand... (and of course I had no more cookies left for the duel on the Deathstar.)
I'm not sure I was disappointed when I learned it was blue later on but this subconscious imprinting appears to be pretty strong: whenever I think about a lightsaber, that picture comes up first still, the silver saber on the black and white television... Smiley

BurceChuat
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 196

From my point of view, I have the high ground!

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2016, 08:49:43 PM »

Is that possible I have my silver saber because the first SW movie I saw as a kid (Ep4 back in the very early 1980s) was on our black and white television?
I remember how sweet that moment was when Luke fired up that Graflex first time in Obi-Wan's hut - I was having 5 Oreo-sort of cookies (called "Pilot" in my country) on a little plate: it became a kind of a "prototype meal" I went on having later on for years when a good movie was on the plate, so I stopped eating in that moment and just watched that amazing, vibrant silver blade humming around in Luke's hand... (and of course I had no more cookies left for the duel on the Deathstar.)
I'm not sure I was disappointed when I learned it was blue later on but this subconscious imprinting appears to be pretty strong: whenever I think about a lightsaber, that picture comes up first still, the silver saber on the black and white television... Smiley

Have you seen Ralph McQuarrie's concept for the lightsabers? If not I think you'd like them a lot.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die."

Owned: Sentinel LE, TRI GB, V4 sound

Siblings':
Standard Issue, AS
Dark Apprentice, HP

Wishlist: Catalyst, Guardian, Manticore, Prophecy V3

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2771

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2016, 08:54:09 PM »

RUN! It's the Futurama cops.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2016, 09:03:26 PM »

Have you seen Ralph McQuarrie's concept for the lightsabers? If not I think you'd like them a lot.

Oh, yes, I forgot it completely Smiley Thanks for the heads up!

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2016, 07:00:12 PM »

I wanted to thank Lord Rapine for starting this thread and I wanted to thank everyone else who posted here.  I always enjoy hearing how Star Wars has influenced others lives. 

Star Wars has played a major role in my life over the years and I have enjoyed every part of it.  Star Wars and I were conceived together and grew up together.  I have seen every Star Wars movie repeatedly in Theaters and on TV.  I had always dreamed about having a lightsaber and would always "Force Choke" my brother when he made me mad.  When I was in high school I dressed up as Luke Skywalker and made my first lightsaber out of an old flashlight and wrapped it in aluminum foil.  I eventually had to grow up and go to college, get a job and live life.  The first lightsaber I bought  was the ones from Disney World that you build yourself.  My kids and I had fought with them for years.  I played Jedi Academy, KOTOR and KOTOR II, The Force Unleashed, and Force Unleashed II.  I finally started looking into saber companies and found how the price range varied so much.  Then I found US and stalked the Forum until I decided to buy my first saber.  My first became five and that increased even more.  I have enjoyed being here and meeting all of the great forum members. I enjoy spending time with all of you and hearing about your life experiences. 

MTFBWY

KDP

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Musiclover221
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 33

The Force Will Be With You...Always

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2016, 11:34:11 PM »

When I was kid/early teens my uncle let me watch the whole original trilogy on dvd and that got me started on a path to wanting a lightsaber eventually I went to see the prequel movies(I was a let down by them a little bit) thats how I started my Star Wars addiction but it wasnt until last year that I got more into the series.I never regretted and happy that Star Wars is now ever so popular now.

May The Force Be With You

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2016, 06:25:56 PM »

I was born in 1973, so I was pretty much born at the right time to become properly hooked on the star wars universe. Star Wars was always around.  Empire Strikes Back was the first movie I saw in a theater. I actually saw A New Hope at the theaters after that, but before Jedi came out. I also had a ridiculous number of  the toys, mostly imperial. I absolutely  love sci-fi ships and vehicles, and Star Wars is packed with so many varieties and so many of the best designs. Also the fact that many of them aren't pristine, as you see so often, makes them feel more real and just amazing. Of course the lightsaber was the best idea ever. A sword with an energy blade that cuts everything, how can that not be amazing. I think Empire being my first exposure was kind of cool because it's one those few movies where the good guys come away pretty beat up and shaken and that makes for a big difference versus what most movies give you. I'm also a big sucker for redemption stories and the OT is one of the best for that.

I used to build pvc saber hilts, but they never quite get that look and feel of metal. Also, I should never be allowed to wire anything. So that where Ultrasabers came in. I looked at ( drooled over) the sabers for a couple of years and finally this last December I was in a place where I could finally indulge one of my longest fantasies. And the sabers are everything I ever wished they would be!

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2016, 06:33:30 PM »

I was born in 1973, so I was pretty much born at the right time to become properly hooked on the star wars universe. Star Wars was always around.  Empire Strikes Back was the first movie I saw in a theater. I actually saw A New Hope at the theaters after that, but before Jedi came out. I also had a ridiculous number of  the toys, mostly imperial. I absolutely  love sci-fi ships and vehicles, and Star Wars is packed with so many varieties and so many of the best designs. Also the fact that many of them aren't pristine, as you see so often, makes them feel more real and just amazing. Of course the lightsaber was the best idea ever. A sword with an energy blade that cuts everything, how can that not be amazing. I think Empire being my first exposure was kind of cool because it's one those few movies where the good guys come away pretty beat up and shaken and that makes for a big difference versus what most movies give you. I'm also a big sucker for redemption stories and the OT is one of the best for that.

I used to build pvc saber hilts, but they never quite get that look and feel of metal. Also, I should never be allowed to wire anything. So that where Ultrasabers came in. I looked at ( drooled over) the sabers for a couple of years and finally this last December I was in a place where I could finally indulge one of my longest fantasies. And the sabers are everything I ever wished they would be!
ESB was the best of any of them IMO.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2016, 08:44:36 PM »

ESB was the best of any of them IMO.

Agreed

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Renaissance1459
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -24

"If you only knew the POWER of the DARK SIDE!"

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2016, 09:52:25 AM »

For me, my experience with Star Wars is similar with my experience with Transformers. Big fan when I watched the movies (cartoon serial for TF), had my excitement died down for quite a while due to the lack of available media in my country (the TV company stopped broadcasting cartoon from the USA and switched to Japanese anime), then I got my excitement grown bigger exponentially due to the recent movies (Ep VII TFA) in the theater!

After I watched TFA, I decided to rekindle my 'old flame' of SW and started rewatching Ep I to VI, The Clone Wars animated series, and read the novels...

Then I thought to myself...What is a SW fan if he/she doesn't have his own lightsaber? Along came US to my life...

Sent from my Lenovo P70-A using Tapatalk

"I feel no longing. I feel no regret. My memories feed my anger, and my anger feeds my strength!"
- Darth Vader, Star Wars: Lords of the Sith -

Inside the armory so far:
1. UltraSabers Chosen One CE in BR
2. UltraSabers The Graflex SE in AB
3. SaberForge Prodigal Son (CT) in Green
4. SaberForge Crystal Reveal Prodigal Son (CT) in Green
5. Vader's Vault Hero in Plecter Pixel

Wishlist:
1. Vader's Vault Flex 2.0 (ANH)
2. Vader's Vault VDR (ANH)

JediDAX76
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 55

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2016, 06:14:14 AM »

I have always loved the movie originally named just "Star Wars". It was the first movie I saw in my life. I still remember to this day the feeling I had walking out of that theater. When asked what I thought about it, I turned and told my mom " I want to be a Jedi when I grow up ". I was 3 years old. I had seen every movie, even the TV specials. It really wasn't until I was much older and could understand what it was the story, characters, and the entire universe of it truly meant or represented. So when my son was born, I knew that he would love those movies, "like his father before him". I still remember the excitement that he and I shared when I showed him the first trailer for episode 7. It was electric. As we patiently waited for it to come out in theaters, I had hoped that he would get the same experience that I had soo many years ago. This was his first Star Wars trilogy that he would get to experience. He had already watched the first two trilogies, the clone wars and rebels animated series. He was truly a fan. I'll never forget the experience and deja vu that he instilled in me with his excitement of seeing the Millennium Falcon, but nothing more so than when he actually cried when Han died. It damn near made me cry as I consoled him. We have both watched it 2 more times in the theaters, and 9 more times at home. Each time I get to relive that first theatrical experience with him over and over again (he still gets emotional every time that scene comes on). Thank you Star Wars, without you this memory would not be as significant.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dominix v4 Emerald w/ Obsidian v4; Aeon v4 stunt

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2016, 06:33:20 AM »

I have always loved the movie originally named just "Star Wars". It was the first movie I saw in my life. I still remember to this day the feeling I had walking out of that theater. When asked what I thought about it, I turned and told my mom " I want to be a Jedi when I grow up ". I was 3 years old. I had seen every movie, even the TV specials. It really wasn't until I was much older and could understand what it was the story, characters, and the entire universe of it truly meant or represented. So when my son was born, I knew that he would love those movies, "like his father before him". I still remember the excitement that he and I shared when I showed him the first trailer for episode 7. It was electric. As we patiently waited for it to come out in theaters, I had hoped that he would get the same experience that I had soo many years ago. This was his first Star Wars trilogy that he would get to experience. He had already watched the first two trilogies, the clone wars and rebels animated series. He was truly a fan. I'll never forget the experience and deja vu that he instilled in me with his excitement of seeing the Millennium Falcon, but nothing more so than when he actually cried when Han died. It damn near made me cry as I consoled him. We have both watched it 2 more times in the theaters, and 9 more times at home. Each time I get to relive that first theatrical experience with him over and over again (he still gets emotional every time that scene comes on). Thank you Star Wars, without you this memory would not be as significant.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Watching episode 7 felt very much like watching ANH to me, and I had a major lump in my throat when Solo fell.  I idolized him since I was six. Sad

Thanks for sharing. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2016, 01:31:49 PM »

Watching episode 7 felt very much like watching ANH to me, and I had a major lump in my throat when Solo fell.  I idolized him since I was six. Sad

Thanks for sharing. Smiley

Although I hate 7 more than any other (including the mistakes of Jar-Jar and the dialogue of ATC) it did have its moments of true emotional upheaval.

Yes, when Han gets killed, there is an insta-black hole in my chest. I saw it 4 time in the theatre, same effect all 4 times. (At least I think. The first viewing I kinda blacked out from rage.)

Another good moment was when Rey pulled the saber to her over Ren. I just got this sense of "this is my destiny, and I will oppose you." Although that whole thing with the saber kinda smacks a little too much of the HP notion that "the wand chooses the wizard."

Sig by For Tyeth

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2016, 01:37:39 PM »

Although I hate 7 more than any other (including the mistakes of Jar-Jar and the dialogue of ATC) it did have its moments of true emotional upheaval.

Yes, when Han gets killed, there is an insta-black hole in my chest. I saw it 4 time in the theatre, same effect all 4 times. (At least I think. The first viewing I kinda blacked out from rage.)

Another good moment was when Rey pulled the saber to her over Ren. I just got this sense of "this is my destiny, and I will oppose you." Although that whole thing with the saber kinda smacks a little too much of the HP notion that "the wand chooses the wizard."
I instantly hated Kylo Ren when he killed Han, and wished Chewie shot him in the face.

Great analogy with HP. I got the same vibe. Smiley

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2016, 02:05:21 PM »

I was about 6 or 7 when we got a subscription to one of those mail in movie clubs.  We got the last VHS release of the OT and I was hooked when I watched it.  It was sort of one of those SW resurgences that happens every so often.  They made tons of new toys to go with the VHS release and I had to have them all.  I really wish I had all that stuff.  I had like the awesome exploding TIE fighter and electronic X-wing, all kinds of micro machines.

Eventually I'd get a PC and get my hands on the Dark Forces and Jedi Knight games and get introduced to Kyle Katarn (my favorite Star Wars character, rip EU).  I was part of the modding community making all sorts of stuff.  TIE Fighter and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter were also amazing games that made me wish I could be a pilot in Star Wars.  I miss those days on the Microsoft Gaming Zone.

As much hate as they get the prequels really sparked my imagination for what Jedi could do and really made me way more interested in the lightsaber side of things vs flying ships and wishing I could be a storm trooper lol.

As an adult it's been a lot of fun introducing Star Wars to my wife, who had never seen any of it before.  Unfortunately my love for it had waned as I became an adult.  It was almost like rediscovering it over again myself.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 02:10:54 PM by Samhain138 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: