Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
Author Topic: Why do you like Star Wars so much?  (Read 49126 times)
FathomFlier
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 61

« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »

So, this is why Star Wars is so important to me:

I saw A New Hope when I was a little over 3 years old. Who can remember stuff when they're that age, I hear you ask. Well, me.
It was the first movie I ever saw at the theatre. My dad took me, and we went opening day over here in England. Bear in mind that there was NO hype at all for the movie over here at the time, but we arrived early, and sat on the steps of the theatre, waiting for it to open (my dad had seen a feature in a magazine about Star Wars, and being a sci fi nut, decided we had to go).

When the movie started, with that opening shot of the Star Destroyer blotting out everything, I stood up and walked over to the balcony (we had sat in the second tier to get a better view), eyes unblinking and fixed on the screen. I remember every single frame of the movie, and as my dad is fond of recounting, only tore my gaze from the screen once, to ask him how C3P0 goes to the bathroom in that suit.

Fun fact. I still have the original companion booklets that the theatres gave out for ANH and ESB in my possession.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2018, 12:01:31 PM »

AMAZING!

Right on FathomFlier!  Great story. Smiley

Yes, what an unforgettable movie.  Introduced to all sorts of new things - in '77 no less!  Tongue  And here we are, over 40 years later, buying lightsabers. Cheesy

Awesome about those booklets.  That's got to feel really special.

Thanks for sharing. Smiley

+1

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

FathomFlier
Knight Ensign

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2018, 12:06:27 PM »

Thanks, LR  Grin

And now, with the new movies coming out, I get to continue the tradition. Only this time, I take my dad instead of the other way around.

I know that he will want an US saber when he finally sees the one I ordered.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2771

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2018, 02:00:36 PM »

I think that was what was so amazing about SW; it was initially just another low budget sci-fi movie dominated by a bunch of no-name actors. But when all was said and done and on screen..............O.............M...................G. It was one of the greatest things ever witnessed by human eyes.

Does anyone else appreciate the irony that the movies got progressively worse as the budgets got bigger? (ESB is excused.)

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

FathomFlier
Knight Ensign

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2018, 02:58:08 PM »

I think that was what was so amazing about SW; it was initially just another low budget sci-fi movie dominated by a bunch of no-name actors. But when all was said and done and on screen..............O.............M...................G. It was one of the greatest things ever witnessed by human eyes.

Does anyone else appreciate the irony that the movies got progressively worse as the budgets got bigger? (ESB is excused.)
Interesting suggestion, Darth Logos. I take your point, although I do love the new movies.

On a related note, I love how the first line of TFA is "This will begin to make things right." - It's like JJ knew how disliked the prequels are, and wanted to nod to the fans that he gets it, and he wants to take it back in the direction of the originals. I smiled so much when I first heard that line.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »

It probably won't surprise anyone that I've always loved swords.  You could probably go so far as to call it an "obsession" which began when I was very little, and watched anything and everything which involved swordsmen.  Naturally, Star Wars was one of these things.  This all led to me starting fencing around 2001, when I was in 8th grade or so.

Oddly enough, though, I didn't have much of a fixation on Star Wars in particular at that point (as compared to other interests).  My fanaticism with Star Wars would come later, when my buddy Artorius and I found Ultrasabers and realized there was a way for us to ACTUALLY FIGHT WITH LIGHTSABERS!  They were PVC at that point, but it was still a life changing acquisition.  We each got one, his being a blue Omen and mine being a green Dominix, and finally had a common ground for our swordsmanship.  Ever since then, I've been absolutely hooked on Star Wars and lightsabers.

So you can see why I've stuck around here so long... as silly as it sounds, Ultrasabers is responsible for contributing to my adult life in a huge way, and ultimately giving a new dimension to my friendship with Artorius.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2018, 05:15:23 PM »

Interesting suggestion, Darth Logos. I take your point, although I do love the new movies.

On a related note, I love how the first line of TFA is "This will begin to make things right." - It's like JJ knew how disliked the prequels are, and wanted to nod to the fans that he gets it, and he wants to take it back in the direction of the originals. I smiled so much when I first heard that line.
<gritting teeth and uncomfortably smiling politely>

It probably won't surprise anyone that I've always loved swords.  You could probably go so far as to call it an "obsession" which began when I was very little, and watched anything and everything which involved swordsmen.  Naturally, Star Wars was one of these things.  This all led to me starting fencing around 2001, when I was in 8th grade or so.

Oddly enough, though, I didn't have much of a fixation on Star Wars in particular at that point (as compared to other interests).  My fanaticism with Star Wars would come later, when my buddy Artorius and I found Ultrasabers and realized there was a way for us to ACTUALLY FIGHT WITH LIGHTSABERS!  They were PVC at that point, but it was still a life changing acquisition.  We each got one, his being a blue Omen and mine being a green Dominix, and finally had a common ground for our swordsmanship.  Ever since then, I've been absolutely hooked on Star Wars and lightsabers.

So you can see why I've stuck around here so long... as silly as it sounds, Ultrasabers is responsible for contributing to my adult life in a huge way, and ultimately giving a new dimension to my friendship with Artorius.
I think you've already read the story of my obsession with lightsabers. So when I finally held an Ultrasaber, it was the culmination of my being.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2018, 07:02:22 PM »

HAHA!  I was curious as to what your response would be Logos.

FathomFlier, Darth Logos is not a fan of TFA or J.J. Abrams whatsoever. Smiley

Awesome story Master Nero.  Good to read that. Smiley

Until now, I've only seen pics, and heard the tale. Wink

Thanks for sharing.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2018, 07:40:46 PM »

Star Wars has always been a part of my life, even though I didn't watch the movies until I was like 7 or 8. We had plastic lightsabers, knew who Luke and Han and Obi-Wan and Vader and Princess Leia all were. We knew that Vader was Luke's dad, yet we still hadn't watched the movies. One Christmas we got the original trilogy, and as soon as us kids opened it we all cheered. We watched them that night and the night after, and then a few weeks later my brother and I went and bought the prequel trilogy. We then watched all six of them in order again. That was the beginning of my obsession.

My brother got a Force FX Anakin saber (Anakin was our favorite character back then) for Christmas a few years later, and ever since I have wanted a real saber. Somehow my sister knew or knew of a guy who made custom sabers, so we all drew up saber designs (mine had an orange blade) and I'm pretty sure my two brothers both sent an email to the guy trying to get a price. Nothing ever came about from that, but I still wanted a saber. Eventually we found US where I saw they had Orange blades. About two years after I decided that I was going to get one I had enough money to buy one. I still spent about another year trying to decide on which one though. Eventually I decided and bought it (in FO). TFA came out a year later, and I slowly started getting my friends to buy sabers. Now I have four and am still collecting. Though strangely, even though I know more about SW than LOTR, I am still a bigger LOTR fan. Undecided

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2018, 07:57:20 PM »

One for Taegin then:

Awesome story man.  Cripes you're patient...lol

Thanks for sharing.  I really like hearing about these. Smiley

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2018, 08:00:11 PM »

One for Taegin then:

Awesome story man.  Cripes you're patient...lol

Thanks for sharing.  I really like hearing about these. Smiley

That's right. The best of both worlds. Grin

Being able to wait is actually kind of nice. You don't get quite so anxious waiting for you hilt to come in. Cheesy

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

FathomFlier
Knight Ensign

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2018, 01:30:38 AM »

FathomFlier, Darth Logos is not a fan of TFA or J.J. Abrams whatsoever. Smiley

Awesome story Master Nero.  Good to read that. Smiley

Until now, I've only seen pics, and heard the tale. Wink

Thanks for sharing.

Horses for courses. I hate the prequels, but love the new ones, and was raised on the OT.

Sorry, Logos. Wink

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »

Time for Lady K’s novella on how she fell in love with SW
Logos, you already know most of this  Grin

My first time seeing SW was accidental. I was 6 years old and it was Christmas evening. We had just gotten home from the relatives and I decided to watch tv. I started flipping through and nothing good was on, then I caught sight of those kriffing teddy bears. I had seen The Ewok Adventure before and thought it was meh, but nothing else was on so why not. Boy was I wrong. All of a sudden there were lasers and fighting and speeder bikes and hell yeah this I can stand. The scene cut to a giant half built space station… then to those red indicator lights on the turbo lift… Then it happened. Darth Vader appeared into my life. As soon as I heard that iconic breath my soul knelt to the Dark Side, even before I had any idea of what it was. Darth Vader has been my hero ever since.

I grew up in a non nerd household, so I had to get my SW fix by getting lucky and finding it on tv. When I was 8 I finally got the Trilogy box set on VHS for my birthday… I watched it continuously. When no one was home I would crank the sound system up till the windows would rattle. If you can’t feel a Star Destroyer flying past you, it’s not loud enough. Tongue

When the bastardized versions were released in theaters I saw them all. I was a little disappointed that the only thing they did was add some pointless scenes, but who cares? I got to see SW on the big screen!!! I was so cheesed off with that kriffing “NOOOOOOOOO” they dubbed in when Vader took out the Emperor. How dare you make my Lord Vader into such a weakling? *growls*

When the prequels came out, I saw all of those in the theatre as well. I cannot describe the excitement I felt waiting for TPM to start on opening night… Oh the disappointment. I was happy to be getting Vader’s backstory, Pod racing was cool to watch and the duel between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Maul made it worth it… But the bar was not met, not even close. ATC was… an even bigger disappointment. But hey, massive Jedi battle! ROTS… finally we are getting somewhere. Not. Mediocre acting, mediocre writing, mediocre CGI and mediocre choreography all culminate into a meh movie. Hey Ani finally falls Woot! When he was put in the suit, I thought that the meh movie would be made worth it. I was wrong. Another kriffing “NOOOOOOOO” broke my heart. I only saw each prequel once, until recently. Those movies nearly killed SW for me. I would watch SW if it came on tv, but I didn’t seek it out.

When TFA came out, it hardly registered with me. Why should I waste my time and money on something that will probably be a bitter disappointment? I didn’t watch TFA until Rogue One came out. It was alright. The characters intrigued me, and I really wanted to love Kylo Ren. I couldn’t quite get past the pissy uncontrolled man-child they made him, a pity, such potential. The story was weak. I figured it was growing pains from the Mouse taking over and trying to get everything figured out. Han Solo. Nuff said.

When Rogue One came out I saw it in theaters twice. That movie served no real purpose to the overall story of the Skywalker line but who kriffing cares! Finally a real SW movie, with the look and tone of the originals. Oh my Force such a beautiful movie… Death Star destruction <3 When that red lightsaber lit the darkness and Darth Vader started cutting down Rebel scum… I cried. There was my Lord Vader. And my love was born anew. I started catching up on all the things I had missed since I gave up.

In January of 2017 I was watching YT vids of Kendo matches because Kendo rocks. A random video of a lightsaber duel came up in the suggestions bar… My mind was blown. I didn’t think lightsabers were anything more than a plastic toy you pay too much for at Wal-Mart. Started digging around and discovered US. Bought an Emerald Manticore in May and haven’t looked back.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2018, 01:37:52 PM »

I'm trying.

Sig by For Tyeth

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2018, 01:48:38 PM »

<gritting teeth and uncomfortably smiling politely>
I'm trying.
So proud of you! You get a -1 gold star.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: