Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
Author Topic: Star Trek discussion thread  (Read 67700 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #255 on: June 29, 2016, 02:07:21 PM »

That doesn't look like Bridge Crew to me.
Plus, I'm afraid Star Trek Beyond isn't anything to be hyped about  Roll Eyes

my bad. i thought your post was about Beyond. oopsy.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #256 on: June 29, 2016, 02:47:56 PM »

That doesn't look like Bridge Crew to me.
Plus, I'm afraid Star Trek Beyond isn't anything to be hyped about  Roll Eyes

Some of us ARE interested in seeing it.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #257 on: June 29, 2016, 02:53:49 PM »

Some of us ARE interested in seeing it.
yep

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #258 on: June 29, 2016, 02:59:08 PM »

ok - not only do i want the kobayahi maru test, but i think this technology can be incorporated into a remake of the classic (?)  80s movie The Last Starfighter.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #259 on: June 29, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »

ok - not only do i want the kobayahi maru test, but i think this technology can be incorporated into a remake of the classic (?)  80s movie The Last Starfighter.

Stop that shell right there. Part of the charm of The Last Starfighter is how dated it is. It should NEVER be remade, mainly because you'll never be able to find someone who could pull off Centauri like Robert Preston and also because it's a perfect movie. Now, if they wanted to redo the SFX like they did with the Star Wars films, I'm good with that. However, leave the movie itself alone.

If anything, a sequel could be made.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #260 on: June 29, 2016, 04:00:38 PM »

Stop that shell right there. Part of the charm of The Last Starfighter is how dated it is. It should NEVER be remade, mainly because you'll never be able to find someone who could pull off Crntayri like Robert Preston and also because it's a perfect movie. Now, if they wanted to redo the SFX like they did with the Star Wars films, I'm good with that. However, leave the movie itself alone.

If anything, a sequel could be made.
I agree. i LOVE that movie. and some of the effects still really stand-up. i would be fine with a sequel or a soft reboot.

anyway, back to Star Trek. Thoughts on the latest trailer for Beyond?

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #261 on: June 29, 2016, 05:42:40 PM »

I like the latest trailer because of its focus on Kirk's struggle for identity.  I have seen the loss he suffered--AND the damage it did to his personality--as one of the key plot lines.  Coupled with my theory that he has been suffering from residuals from his mind meld with old Spock, that left him visions not just of events but of a different man he could have been (and ALL the crew, though since Spock and Kirk melded in the prime universe I think Kirk literally has shadows of his prime self in his mind), it really works for me.  I am glad to see the focus there.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #262 on: July 27, 2016, 01:08:13 AM »

So, firstly, check out my non-spoiler review for Star Trek Beyond here
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=31840.15

Also, thought i'd post the bloopers for Star Trek Enterprise here. mainly because i am rewatching the series on netflix and it's not as bad as i remember. and also because the bloopers are REALLY funny

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxeczKxIZGY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxeczKxIZGY</a>

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #263 on: July 30, 2016, 02:52:29 PM »

So, I am currently on season 4 of Enterprise. As a whole, the series had some good ideas, but I think the execution is what let it down most. The Xindi story arc was great, but the temporarl cold war could have been better. Season 4 is excellent and should have been implemented earlier. If it had I believe the show would have lasted a few more seasons.

However, I still hate the theme song. I understand why they did it, but vocals over a Star Trek opening just seems wrong. Ironically, the music over the end credits would have made for a better opener. But c'est la vie. I can just fast forward past the opening credits or watch it on mute to enjoy the visuals.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #264 on: July 30, 2016, 08:15:21 PM »

So, I am currently on season 4 of Enterprise. As a whole, the series had some good ideas, but I think the execution is what let it down most. The Xindi story arc was great, but the temporarl cold war could have been better. Season 4 is excellent and should have been implemented earlier. If it had I believe the show would have lasted a few more seasons.

However, I still hate the theme song. I understand why they did it, but vocals over a Star Trek opening just seems wrong. Ironically, the music over the end credits would have made for a better opener. But c'est la vie. I can just fast forward past the opening credits or watch it on mute to enjoy the visuals.

I agree that Season 4 had a lot of good stuff in it.  Now, personally I still think Scott Bakula was miscast at the beginning.  He is a good actor but not for a command role.  I think that actually had a negative impact on the writing at first, along with other factors.  It took until Season 4 for Archer to change directions and for Bakula to figure out how to bring something harsher to the character.

The thing I like the most--once the whininess from earlier seasons is gone--is when Archer has his politically incorrect moments.  He feels more human than Picard.  There's one three-part episode where Archer fights a duel in a way I'm sure a politically-correct captain like Picard would NEVER do...humanity back in those days seemed to have more in common with the Andorians than in later series.  (And it's interesting now to see how Star Trek Beyond fits into that, though without spoilers, I wish they hadn't been quite as ham-fisted in making their point there.)  And then the moment where Archer tells the diplomats to sit down, shut up, and do things HIS PEOPLE'S way for once instead of him bending over backwards to do everything THEIR way.  I bet Picard would get the vapors if he heard something that un-PC.  But it WORKED when Archer did that.

And that's actually why I like the opening song: Archer does not belong to the future Star Trek world seen in other series.  He is to some extent still a child of OUR world.  He actually has a sense of continuity with our culture and history in a way that we see even by Kirk's time is missing.  The sets and costume designs also clearly tie back to our world--the Enterprise set has something in common with a modern cockpit, and their uniforms are modified NASA or Air Force flight suits.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2016, 03:05:53 PM »

Listening to the score for Star Trek Beyond...very interesting how the music takes on a slightly more classical air with the Enterprise crew than in the prior two scores.  It seems Giacchino is reading Kirk's more integrated personality the same way I was, and the more mature crew dynamics.

It may take me a few more listens to lock in on it for sure, but I'm trying to tell whether something critical about the nature of the villains is in fact buried in the music. If so, it would be a pretty neat trick.

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #266 on: August 07, 2016, 02:10:40 AM »

So i am almost at the end of season 7 of DS9 (for the umpteenth time) and seeing an intrepid class ship made an interesting "what if" thought pop into my head.

It was mentioned in an episode of Voyager by Q that he thought Riker would have gotten command of the ship, rather than Janeway. So, my question - how do you think the secen seasons of Voygaer would have played out with Riker as Captain instead of Janeway? (All other characters are present except Janeway, so feel free to rearrange them as you see fit).

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #267 on: August 07, 2016, 12:55:12 PM »

t was mentioned in an episode of Voyager by Q that he thought Riker would have gotten command of the ship, rather than Janeway. So, my question - how do you think the secen seasons of Voygaer would have played out with Riker as Captain instead of Janeway? (All other characters are present except Janeway, so feel free to rearrange them as you see fit).

They'd have made it home a lot sooner because Riker would have used the Caretaker array to get home and destroyed it via tricobalt devices with a countdown timer.

Everybody goes home happy.

Well, except for the Kazon. Screw those guys.

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #268 on: August 11, 2016, 01:15:17 PM »

New article on Star Trek: Discovery appears to confirm the setting and a few other details.  What do you guys think?

CBS 'Star Trek Discovery' to feature female lead
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/08/11/cbs-star-trek-discovery-to-feature-female-lead.html

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #269 on: August 11, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »

Nifty.

I hope they include the new ship in Star Trek Online.

Speaking of... Is anyone else playing?

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: