Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 964069 times)
darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #810 on: April 27, 2014, 06:28:26 PM »

Im very confused with all the EU stuff going on out there. Does this mean that characters like Revan, Bastilla, Kyle Katarn and Jacen Solo don't exist any more?

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #811 on: April 27, 2014, 07:09:57 PM »

Kyle and Jacen - yup, got the Mouse-shaped axe.

Revan and Bastila - well, Revan is part of TOR, which is still being produced/overseen by EA and Disney.  So...

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #812 on: April 27, 2014, 07:34:48 PM »

I think some fans forget that the Sith previous to Episode 1 -3 had not been around for a millennia. Meaning, saber combat was more or less more theory than use. Lots of practice not a whole lot of application except in the cases of dark jedi, jedi turned rogue etc.  Most saber experience was more or less tools and blaster deflection and the occasional vibro sword. 

So someone like Maul showing up and fighting the jedi forced the jedi to focus again on jedi versus sith combat.

They say the reason why Qui Gon died was his affection and preference for Attaru which in limited space is hard to fight with.

Maul on the other hand had training and experience with Sidious who was a master duelist etc.

A jedi in the Old Republic era would have had more saber vs experience combat versus the era of the Clone Wars.  The Legacy era returns the focus back to sabering with the birth of the Imperial knights and back to the Sith in plenty not just two.

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

darth tratus
Knight Commander

« Reply #813 on: April 27, 2014, 08:24:52 PM »

Kyle and Jacen - yup, got the Mouse-shaped axe.

Revan and Bastila - well, Revan is part of TOR, which is still being produced/overseen by EA and Disney.  So...

uggghhhh... now all i have to hope for is that these movies are good

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #814 on: April 27, 2014, 08:58:52 PM »

uggghhhh... now all i have to hope for is that these movies are good

I disagree.  Good stories are good stories...  I think it denigrates the work of all of the many authors who have contributed to the Star Wars EU (or Legends, if we're adopting current lexicon) to simply discard their work.

Do I love the choice?  No - a lot of quality work was there.

Do I understand the choice?  Of course.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #815 on: April 27, 2014, 10:24:11 PM »

The fact of the matter is that the books will always be there. NO ONE is saying, "Oh hey, let's throw the books into big piles and burn them!"

It's the same thing with comics and their TV shows and movies. Are the latter canon? No. Have they ever been? No. But has that ever stopped people from loving them all the same? Once again, no. Same goes for the books. So what if they aren't canon? So what if they aren't going to be featured in a movie?

They will still be there. You can still return to them. You can still enjoy them.

So there really is no reason to complain. None at all in fact.

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -90

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #816 on: April 28, 2014, 01:56:13 AM »

Point for Hobbs!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Zephon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 118

Zephon Nosta - Jedi Sentinel

« Reply #817 on: April 28, 2014, 02:01:45 AM »

The fact of the matter is that the books will always be there. NO ONE is saying, "Oh hey, let's throw the books into big piles and burn them!"

It's the same thing with comics and their TV shows and movies. Are the latter canon? No. Have they ever been? No. But has that ever stopped people from loving them all the same? Once again, no. Same goes for the books. So what if they aren't canon? So what if they aren't going to be featured in a movie?

They will still be there. You can still return to them. You can still enjoy them.

So there really is no reason to complain. None at all in fact.

Actually, I can understand why one could complain. An example being the on-going Star Wars: Legacy series. With them discarding the EU Post-ROTJ, the series that are still on-going will either have to be 1) Retconned, 2) Altered, or 3) Discarded in it's entirety. Case in point, Ania Solo which Legacy #2 seems to follow.

Now it could be said, that only two parts of that particular series has been put out and who knows the numbers of people who've read it, which would be a fair statement. But for those who HAVE read it or the author who is currently working on it, that takes the story and puts it into a Null zone for them.

Legacy #1 following the One Sith, Darth Krayt, Cade Skywalker, and everyone surrounding them also now gets affected. While they are a lot into the future, what happens to their storylines, and the actions of those surrounding them?

The action of the SW-Disney Merger and the decision to "streamline" the EU for purposes of making a cohesive story in lieu of the new movies is mostly for them to allow access around the immediate timeline Post-ROTJ and the children of those characters. But for more farther reaching in the timeline, this can have repercussions and effects. I understand that the books are still there, but while you can still read them, being told that those stories have no real place in the future Canon is still a disdainful thing to be told.

Anywho, that's just my two credits in the situation.

The Force Is The Blade Of The Heart.
            All Are Intertwined;
       The Crystal,
   The Blade,
The Jedi.
              You Are One.

Light Side Points Appreciated

darth tratus
Knight Commander

« Reply #818 on: April 28, 2014, 11:26:10 PM »

I completely understand why they are doing this and in  a way i am happy. I love all the stories that have been written and all the games that have been creaeted the jedi academy outcast and dark forces. It's just a little hard to now to try and see everything that i was raised on about star wars now suddenly  change and not be canon any more.

Zephon
Knight Commander

« Reply #819 on: April 30, 2014, 04:22:44 AM »

Image Source: http://www.dailyfailcenter.com/209158
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:00:31 AM by Zephon » Logged

All Are Intertwined;
       The Crystal,
   The Blade,
The Jedi.
              You Are One.

Jedijosh
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 105

Come back to the light side we have chips & Salsa

« Reply #820 on: May 08, 2014, 05:37:59 PM »

Awesome Zephon have a point

Sabers:
Aeon v2 (CG), Archon v2.1 (VA), Graflex CE (Obsidian Emerald), Guardian (Obsidian GB),

Wish list:
Azure Mantis, Arbiter, Bellicose in RGB, Chosen One CE, Consular in CG, Prophecy v3

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #821 on: May 08, 2014, 10:46:48 PM »

The reason why they did it -

The EU is one large expansive muddled pile of good and bad.  There is a lot of garbage and a lot of good stuff, the creative licensing went a bit hay wire back in the day with Lucas and its subsidiaries. 

Disney is just trying to rein it in a bit and ensure their story lines have continuity.  To me it is a better approach instead of doing what they did with Star Trek... We don't like this reality any more so we are going to make an alternate one... I do not think it sat really well with the fan base.  The mainstream could care less but the fan base was a bit irked by it all.  At least this way, this way they are going to be able to say "this is this and this is that" and not have to interweave hundreds of storylines some written by good writers and some by "really how did they get this published, Lucas just slaps the SW on just about any thing these days" type writers.

I applaud it.

Besides ideas are never gone... The books still exist the characters still exist in the universe...

Think about it this way...

If Disney says they do not exist... Well there goes the requirement for licensing ...

COSPLAY AWAY !

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

Zephon
Knight Commander

« Reply #822 on: June 25, 2014, 05:15:44 AM »

All Are Intertwined;
       The Crystal,
   The Blade,
The Jedi.
              You Are One.

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #823 on: June 25, 2014, 11:33:40 AM »

Could it be possible that Obi-Wan Kenobi is a distant descendant of Revan?

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

Zephon
Knight Commander