Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 956267 times)
Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #3735 on: July 25, 2020, 05:19:35 PM »

Seriously?  Wow....

Too bad Bob Anderson had passed away a few years before they started filming; I always thought the Luke/Vader duel in Empire Strikes Back was one of, if not the best in the saga.

Agreed, that duel was the total package. Between the lighting/environment, the style used, and the hide n' seek, it is always a joy to watch.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3736 on: July 26, 2020, 02:46:06 AM »

Rey flying the Falcon solo (no pun intended) the first time she's in the cockpit?  Yeah, that's a little sketchy, LOL.

I would like to point out that Rey had extensive knowledge of the Falcon before hand, and because of that, we can make the reasonable assumption that she has indeed been in the cockpit a few times.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #3737 on: July 26, 2020, 03:16:14 AM »

I would like to point out that Rey had extensive knowledge of the Falcon before hand, and because of that, we can make the reasonable assumption that she has indeed been in the cockpit a few times.

According to the movie novelization I'm guessing?

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3738 on: July 27, 2020, 03:06:26 PM »

Back when i competed i found my women opponents to be more dangerous then men... lets not forget women are faster then men.. they are able to multi task better than men this has been proven many times... and as a former iron worker i had no issue with women on jobs... Treat all with open mind and care for we all are humans on this little blue ball
I think that is relative, but generally they are smaller so therefore require less strength to move quickly. But even more to the point, it has been my experience that women are far more competitive than men. Not so much in frequency, but in level of determination to win at all costs. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it has been proven that women have a greater affinity for multitasking due to the evolutionary role of "minding the offspring." Men on the other hand are more target oriented as hunters. Not to say that either can't do a particular job. Case in point, Kath actually is a hunter, and I am great with taking care of kids.

Agreed.

I may not know the full extent of the social climate in the US but I've seen my share of testimonies from both side. And my conclusion is that people there seems to think too much in absolutes and not with enough nuances x)
But hey, I hope I'll be able to visit one day and talk to people directly.
Excellent observation. And you're right. There are far too many here with the thought process that "You either agree with or you're evil." No one Almost no one is willing to compromise anymore. And yes, I probably have my moments. Undecided But nowadays we even have a "cancel-culture"; a bunch of whiny Millennials and their offspring complaining about everything that doesn't give them warm fuzzies. They're basically out to censor the world until THEY are satisfied. I hate people.

Rey being good at fighting shouldn't be a surprise. She had to in order to survive. As for her use of a lightsaber, if you have good tai sabaki and a practise with a weapon, you'll manage with other weapons. She never would have been able to defeat any prequels era lightsaber user, but it was enough to fight someone being cocky even after receiving a wookie bolt to the side... (devil's advocate a bit).
But flying the Falcon and using force powers? I call BS.
Practitioners can probably back me up on this, but there is a huge difference between being a fighter and being a scrapper. I highly doubt that Rey received any formal combat training. Most likely she learned how to swing a long stick and crack some heads. Fighting spirit, maybe. But not a fighter.

Kyle was highly trained and determined to win. He was still trying to prove himself to Snoke. Unless, Kyle was merely powerful and not as trained as we were led to believe. Either way, he still had more skill with a saber and should not have lost.

I didn't have a problem with the way they did the Rey/Kylo Ren duel in Force Awakens, mainly because of the style used. It was more of a hack-n-slash/survival mode style.  If they had been going at it like Anakin and Obi-Wan in Revenge of the Sith, I would have been loudly calling BS - Rey may have had some fighting skill but it was her first time using a lightsaber, and even though Kylo Ren had more general skill in using a lightsaber, there really were no Jedi around for him to duel at the time the movie takes place, so there's inexperience there.  It was two novice duelists going at it, and it pretty much looked it.

Rey flying the Falcon solo (no pun intended) the first time she's in the cockpit?  Yeah, that's a little sketchy, LOL.
But that's just it, hack and slash is feral and should be easily countered by even basic technique. Honestly Finn should have been the greater threat simply because he more than likely would have had melee weapons training, as seen when he fought TR-8R. As further evidenced in TROS, Kyle has more than enough skill to handle melee warriors.

Speaking of Falcon misappropriation, did anyone ever notice that Finn always took the ventral gun, never the dorsal? In TFA, "Oh no they shot the gun, it can't move." Did no one think to have Rey tell him to climb his dumbass into the other gun turret, instead of her doing that ridiculous show boat maneuver? I also "love" how they always show Finn as though he's looking out the viewport of the turret.....in order to look out the BACK at pursuers. Guess no one paid attention that in that bitch fight scene post-Death Star-escape that Han and Luke were facing the top and bottom of the Falcon.

Agreed. And half of the reason is because they said the props were heavy... How the hell can you use a HEAVY lightsaber?? the hilt can be heavy but the whole prop should be balanced enough to looks like the blade is weightless. THAT is incompetence.
This was something I actually appreciated about how these movies were filmed. Unlike the 2 generations of predecessors that used hilt with an aluminum rod to stand in for the blade, the ST saber props were effectively the same combat sabers that we all love to collect. In this, they should have had a more realistic weight, but they also cast REAL light on the actors' faces, even down to the reflections in their eyes and teeth.

Define "extensive knowledge". She saw it sitting there most of her life never flying and came to the conclusion that it was useless?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

HesaHeart
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

Adapt.Improvise and Overcome

« Reply #3739 on: July 27, 2020, 03:25:03 PM »

Im no SW expert but as for the combat between rey and kylo , true if you have some weapons training its not to far a stretch to pick up a strange one and make use of it . now correct me if i am wrong here kylo just did not just pick up a saber and  become  an expert, as a ranking officer and a force user he had to have training and hours of practice from someone, Kylo fought with anger and his own lack of self esteem trying to prove himself , rey with fear and her drive to survive. as for the falcon i call it BS . i have seen fighter jets that don't make me a pilot and the moves she makes are just not possible with no history at that level of combat, the turret parts with fin eh.

( Light points when earned )

Various fan art and fiction
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

Own
 Dark Sentinel staff LE v4 - tri red

Wish list
Arbiter staff - blazing red-sound
Phantasm LE V4 staff - AS blade - stunt
Raven in staff setup - color ?? - stunt

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #3740 on: July 27, 2020, 04:08:46 PM »

Kyle was highly trained and determined to win. He was still trying to prove himself to Snoke. Unless, Kyle was merely powerful and not as trained as we were led to believe. Either way, he still had more skill with a saber and should not have lost.
But that's just it, hack and slash is feral and should be easily countered by even basic technique. Honestly Finn should have been the greater threat simply because he more than likely would have had melee weapons training, as seen when he fought TR-8R. As further evidenced in TROS, Kyle has more than enough skill to handle melee warriors.

Havent been chiming in much on this discussion since it Im not sure my opinions would be particularly appreciated here, but ill say this one again.

You try fighting with a hole in your gut. From a Wookiee bowcaster. While being an emotional wreck at that moment. It makes sense he lost here, and in TROS their martial skill is on full display. Kylo makes controlled, precise movements while Rey is doing ninja flips while losing. Exactly the sort of technique besting instinct you refer to. And that fight was lost by Kylo due to yet again his emotions unbalancing him mid fight. Kylo's reason for losing duels is remarkably consistent with his personality; he doesnt fight well when hes conflicted or angry.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #3741 on: July 27, 2020, 04:21:30 PM »

Havent been chiming in much on this discussion since it Im not sure my opinions would be particularly appreciated here, but ill say this one again.

You try fighting with a hole in your gut. From a Wookiee bowcaster. While being an emotional wreck at that moment. It makes sense he lost here, and in TROS their martial skill is on full display. Kylo makes controlled, precise movements while Rey is doing ninja flips while losing. Exactly the sort of technique besting instinct you refer to. And that fight was lost by Kylo due to yet again his emotions unbalancing him mid fight. Kylo's reason for losing duels is remarkably consistent with his personality; he doesnt fight well when hes conflicted or angry.

But against a better, trained opponent (Finn) Kylo wiped the floor with him. Kylo still had the hole in his gut the whole time, but seemingly it only started to affect him when Rey makes an appearance. We can bring the Force aspect into it, which supposedly even Finn has some active Midichlorians in his veins at this point. In the end the bowcaster shot is a factor, sure, but Finn's short duel I think negates that. There's little to stop her "Ma-Rey Sue" status from bubbling right to the surface.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #3742 on: July 27, 2020, 04:26:12 PM »

But against a better, trained opponent (Finn) Kylo wiped the floor with him. Kylo still had the hole in his gut the whole time, but seemingly it only started to affect him when Rey makes an appearance. We can bring the Force aspect into it, which supposedly even Finn has some active Midichlorians in his veins at this point. In the end the bowcaster shot is a factor, sure, but Finn's short duel I think negates that. There's little to stop her "Ma-Rey Sue" status from bubbling right to the surface.

Finn also rushed him down head on from a standstill like an idiot and had no experience with an opponent using a lightsaber. And yes, Rey had a more potent connection to the force, we get three movies for us to find out Finn has sensitivity at all. There's nothing to say there wasnt a little force-guidance happening there, which would be far from the first time. Shes no more of a Mary Sue than Anakin, the kid who won a 400+ kph deathrace and destroyed a military capital ship from a snubfighter when he was nine

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #3743 on: July 27, 2020, 04:34:41 PM »

Finn also rushed him down head on from a standstill like an idiot and had no experience with an opponent using a lightsaber. And yes, Rey had a more potent connection to the force, we get three movies for us to find out Finn has sensitivity at all. There's nothing to say there wasnt a little force-guidance happening there, which would be far from the first time. Shes no more of a Mary Sue than Anakin, the kid who won a 400+ kph deathrace and destroyed a military capital ship from a snubfighter when he was nine

But Anakin Skywalker was the Chosen One. Rey is.... we're literally still waiting for whatever supposedly Rey is. I'm just gonna agree to disagree and move on.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #3744 on: July 27, 2020, 04:38:41 PM »

But Anakin Skywalker was the Chosen One. Rey is.... we're literally still waiting for whatever supposedly Rey is. I'm just gonna agree to disagree and move on.

Same. Im just exhausted of the Sequel bashing. Not trying to be snippy.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #3745 on: July 27, 2020, 04:46:59 PM »

All good man, all good.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3746 on: July 27, 2020, 06:08:10 PM »

Im no SW expert but as for the combat between rey and kylo , true if you have some weapons training its not to far a stretch to pick up a strange one and make use of it . now correct me if i am wrong here kylo just did not just pick up a saber and  become  an expert, as a ranking officer and a force user he had to have training and hours of practice from someone, Kylo fought with anger and his own lack of self esteem trying to prove himself , rey with fear and her drive to survive. as for the falcon i call it BS . i have seen fighter jets that don't make me a pilot and the moves she makes are just not possible with no history at that level of combat, the turret parts with fin eh.
Kyle already had at the very least some ground-work laid while he was still in the Jedi Academy. And apparently he was no slouch because he was the primary reason all the students fell.

As for the flying, I'm just waiting for one of her adoring fans to chime in and say it was the Force, so I can tell them to shut up. Tongue That is such a cop out. "She knew through the Force." Then that would mean EVERY Force sensitive, good and evil, should be able to pull from that collective knowledge and skill. No training necessary.

Still, he is now a wounded animal. But he is still a wounded animal with a higher level of skill. She is just ferally swinging. He should have been able to take her. Maybe not as easily due to his wounds, but still...

POINTS!

BUT from the 3 movies, Finn being Force sensitive was JJ's idea. He may have already wanted that to be a thing in TFA. Again, with all the holes in character development, Finn was a trained soldier. Despite his bouts of cowardice, when he actually put his mind to letting courage win out, he's pretty balls-to-the-wall; and the soldier comes out. I honestly thought they wasted his potential having him play the fool.

She was a misandrist icon of women's empowerment. There....I said it.

I think the bigger reason why the subject keeps coming up is because new people are introduced to the group, and they are interested in hearing others' thoughts, say mine and yours, even though we have already voiced our respective opinions numerous times.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #3747 on: July 27, 2020, 06:46:23 PM »

I think the bigger reason why the subject keeps coming up is because new people are introduced to the group, and they are interested in hearing others' thoughts, say mine and yours, even though we have already voiced our respective opinions numerous times.

And i get that, im not trying to dissuade people from sharing their opinion, its just difficult to get away from sometimes, even when the topic crops up outside of Star Wars forums and discussions entirely.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3748 on: July 27, 2020, 07:48:36 PM »

And i get that, im not trying to dissuade people from sharing their opinion, its just difficult to get away from sometimes, even when the topic crops up outside of Star Wars forums and discussions entirely.
Yeah....I can draw parallels to other topics that always seem to pop up despite not talking about them. Undecided

Sig by For Tyeth

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #3749 on: July 27, 2020, 08:13:30 PM »

Hey! I had used the marey sue before!

Exactly. Hating Rey for being a woman is stupid. Not liking her character because it's a Marey Sue is only logical. But of course, it's easier to point fingers and ignore constructive criticism by saying "you hate women". Anyway...

I'll think I'll keep it from now on. It sets a new level of the term =)

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 263   Go Up