Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Author Topic: Trustfire Battery Issue  (Read 69152 times)
Kouri
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 328

Artisan

« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2017, 12:32:10 PM »

Trustfire doesn't make a 1200mAh 14500. You might've caught a review for their 18350 cells, or a set of falsely rated Ultrafires.

There are dubious 1200mAh 14500s that, again, really only have 300-600mAh.

You are not going to find a genuine 14500 cell with higher capacity. Period.

Most of the quality ones run the 750-800mAh with varying accuracy. There are some using 850mA+ Sanyo cells, but they run a little large and won't fit inside the AA battery holder, like we previously found out with the DE brand.

MARIO9565
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2017, 05:30:01 AM »

ok, so buy batteries from ultrasabers or whats the other option here?

VaporTrail_000
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2018, 04:59:36 PM »

I started delving into this a bit after I went and bought a few Nitecore batteries from that rainforest shopping place... Anyway.

I found flashlight forums to be a pretty good knowledge base here (yes, flashlight enthusiasts, don't smile and point, waver of noisy lightstick Cheesy) Anyway, of particular note was this:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallcomparator.php

It's a comparator for batteries, with quite a few different 14500s represented, including the TrustFires available from UltraSabers.

From Schtuperman's Anecdote, I surmise that the current draw of an Emerald/Obsidian saber to be in the neighborhood of .75-.85A (probably in the higher end of that range).

The Keeppower 14500 840mAh (described as "one of the best 14500 on the market." in the tester's conclusion)
It has a discharge graph that looks like this:

This battery would probably give 60-65min of runtime for an Emerald/Obsidian saber. On the down side, it is also 1.4mm longer than the Trustfires.

The Trustfire 14500 900mAh (flame) (the flame descriptor is because there's another Trustfire 14500 900mAh... with a blue wrapper (and is apparently junk)).
The (flame) battery is described as "good for a cheap battery, but the voltage under load is considerable lower than the best batteries.")
The discharge graph looks like this:

As I said, this battery gives about 50min of runtime for an Emerald/Obsidian saber.

The Xtar 14500 800mAh (Black) which is what the picture in the US Parts page is currently (described as "The battery has an acceptable performance, but it is possible to find better performing battery (That are slightly longer)."
It is .1mm longer than the Trustfire and has a discharge graph that looks like this:

My conclusion, unless you want to spend WAY more time than may be profitable trying to find THE perfect saber battery as a replacement for your Trustfire 14500s (adding in the probability that you'll have to modify or replace your battery sled... though I'm thinking about trying to find a HUGE rechargable Li-Ion battery for my stunts...) you might as well get the Trustfires (or Xtars) from US. Ten minutes of runtime for a six-to-nine-fold increase in price ($26 w/o shipping $36 w/... yes, for a single battery)  is NOT worth it IMO.

Dark Apprentice LE V4 In Guardian Blue (Winter Sale Free Initiate)
Initiate V4 in Consular Green (Winter Sale Free Mystery Box)
Dark Initiate V4 LE in Consular Green, w/ LI-Ion pack (Winter Raffle 3rd Prize)
1 Diamond Initiate V4 LE
1 Diamond Dark Initiate V4

Baldon
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2019, 09:20:56 PM »

One of the main thing everyone should know and do with li-ion cells is that if you use more than one cell in a device ie.. 2 in a saber you need to keep that set paired up . Do not mix your battery sets if you have multiple battery sets. I learned this from using 18650s in my vape.

RezkinKDT
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2019, 02:07:11 AM »

I would suggest anyone who is using li-on batteries look up Battery Mooch. Battery safety is super important.

Khaalis
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 38

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2020, 03:59:53 AM »

Ok, question that apparently relates to this topic. I've had one of my US's connected to power via the recharge port for oh roughly 1.5-2 years no. It sits on my desk. This week it started to beep occasionally. I disconnected from the power and tried to power it but - nothing. It won't power on. However, the LED Switch is still lit up. Is this a sign that the batteries have finally been drained and forgotten how to recharge?

Oh, and these are the old Trustfire batteries. Are the new ones listed on the site the best option?

My Sabers (All customized & Obsidian): Emerald Archon v2.1 (DVA),  Emerald Dark Menace (SY), Emerald Shock LE (BR)

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »

Have you tried removing the batteries and putting them back in?

Otherwise this seems to be a board failure. If the batteries were dead, you wouldn't even see the switch LED.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Khaalis
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2020, 02:50:31 PM »

Have you tried removing the batteries and putting them back in?

Otherwise this seems to be a board failure. If the batteries were dead, you wouldn't even see the switch LED.
I have not had the chance to reset the batteries, but if it matters, the LED switch has faded to barely being visible since I posted this last night.

EDIT: SO ... I just pulled and reset the batteries and I got the boot message and it was able to power on but for all of about 5 sec before it shut off. Reconnected it to the power cable and it would power on again. Now its sitting and charging.

I still think this might indicate the batteries are near end of life?

My Sabers (All customized & Obsidian): Emerald Archon v2.1 (DVA),  Emerald Dark Menace (SY), Emerald Shock LE (BR)

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2020, 05:15:57 PM »

Do you have another set of those Li-Ions that you can use? Just to test if it really is a battery issue...somehow looks like that according to your recent post.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Khaalis
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2020, 03:51:56 AM »

Do you have another set of those Li-Ions that you can use? Just to test if it really is a battery issue...somehow looks like that according to your recent post.
Unfortunately no. I'll have to order a set. Can't hurt to have spares anyway. Thanks

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2020, 02:56:10 PM »

Definitely. Sorry that I couldn't help you that much, but I hope that new batteries will solve that.

Sig by Master Nero

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2020, 10:57:16 PM »

I used this trick today!  Worked!

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: