Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian 1.0 Wiring Diagram  (Read 44559 times)
Novastar
Disgraced
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 110

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 06:59:47 AM »

It's compatible with any JST style connector type.

You can get these in all sorts of configurations, although I suppose it depends on:

* If you want to have every pin "individually" quick-disconnect-able... (lol what kind of word is THAT?!?  lol)
* If you want to have wires in pairs to disconnect... for example, + & - for battery... speaker leads... etc.
* If you just want one 6-pin connector to remove all at once

Hope it helps... Smiley

Creator of the "BALANCE OF POWER" live staged-combat shows
Licensed & experienced sabre fencing instructor
Sound font engineer for "Crystal Focus" & Obsidian
Creator of the NSCFCDs (CF Sound CDs)
Co-Founder of Golden Gate Knights (SF)
Co-Creator of NCSCS (Nova & Caine's Saber Combat System)

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 01:58:11 PM »

thanks novastar

Davinator1212
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »

so, My wiring harness has seemingly a random wire color for each pin. Normally... ground is black.... but the red and black wires just seem randomly assigned

pandatrooper
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011, 03:01:33 AM »

I ran into the same thing, you might want to check out my thread here.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=1623.0

you kind of need to ignore the colors and just wire them based on where they need to go.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2026

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »

A C1 is a Schecter Hellraiser guitar. xp Jking. Anyway, seriously. Where would I wire a LEd driver at on Obsidian if I'm going to do it myself? Would TCSS constant current led driver work or is an LED driver included now even for DIY people? I have an MHS saber build planned in the future and I was thinking of using Obsidian for sound. Thanks for the info.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Novastar
Disgraced
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 06:11:13 AM »

An LED constant current driver would go on the + and - leads of the.... *drumroll*... LED leads on the wiring diagram.  From there, you would attach your LED to your.... LED driver.  So, to put it simply:

Board's LED contacts --> CC Driver --> Actual LED.

Again... it may sound "horrible" to readers on this one (and the original poster), but... please... if you don't know the BASICS of what you're doing on a DIY project with Obsidian... please do not do it.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 04:19:06 PM »

if you don't know the BASICS of what you're doing on a DIY project with Obsidian... please do not do it.

Unless you don't mind breaking stuff. XD.

Sorry, don't mind me. Carry on.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

noyl wendor
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2011, 01:54:03 AM »

Howdy,
 I'm new to this forum. I've been researching the Obsidian board, (for a DIY Obi-wan build) and of course wiring diagrams. This thread answered my questions very well.
 I did see that the use of a CCD is recomended, or a resistor. I was wondering if there was a big reason not to use a resistor, and use a CCD. (yes some of the effects of the CCD help to make up for what the Obsidian lacks....appearently) Must just be personal preference. I'm a resistor sort of guy. Has anyone noticed any sort of difference between using a CCD, or a restistor with an Obsidian board? Does it sound different? Light up different?
 Any thoughts or opinions would help with the research bit.  Smiley

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:08:34 AM by noyl wendor » Logged

Novastar
Disgraced
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2011, 08:42:09 AM »

Howdy,
 I'm new to this forum. I've been researching the Obsidian board, (for a DIY Obi-wan build) and of course wiring diagrams. This thread answered my questions very well.
 I did see that the use of a CCD is recomended, or a resistor. I was wondering if there was a big reason not to use a resistor, and use a CCD. (yes some of the effects of the CCD help to make up for what the Obsidian lacks....appearently) Must just be personal preference. I'm a resistor sort of guy. Has anyone noticed any sort of difference between using a CCD, or a restistor with an Obsidian board? Does it sound different? Light up different?
 Any thoughts or opinions would help with the research bit.  Smiley
Welcome!  Let's see...

* It will not sound different if you use a CCD vs a resistor.  At least... not unless your CCD becomes SOOO current/voltage hungry... that you simply steal FAR too much juice away from the batteries and the speaker magically can't get enough juice (unlikely), lol... Smiley

* Light up differently... well... that depends on how your CCD behaves.  For example--maybe the CCD YOU get/use... has a "ramping" effect with the current, so... as soon as you provide power... it sort of "fades in".  So that would be lighting up differently.

* Brightness difference... I know you didn't ask, but I felt like telling.  Smiley  Direct current... is current, is current, is current.  If a CCD driver provides 1A and you test it... but then you use a resistor instead that basically allows 1A to be " happenin' "... there will be almost NO DISTINCTION to your eyes whatsoever.

* Light up on FILM differently... aha, an amendment.  If you plan to capture your LED saber on film... although this is a bit hard to explain... actually, "directly driven LEDs"... tend to perform much better.  Basically, it's all about FPS + the swinging/motion of the saber.

Additionally, I can certainly say that--yes--CCDs can take up more space than your average resistor (although sure, basic CCDs are getting smaller by the month), and certainly consume/require certain amounts of power to run... PRIOR to giving an LED the juice it wants.

For example... if you have 7.4v and your LED "wants" ~7.4v... and your CCD takes ~1.5v while operating... and you are using a 7.4v Li-Ion pack... it's unlikely you'll be powering your LED at full power.  Why.  ~1.5v are used just to feed the CCD... meaning maybe ~6v will get to your LED.  So yup, people should remember--all electronic devices/circuits require POWER to run.

Resistors... uh... don't.  They are actually there to taper off / burn off voltage when it is in excess.  To which I tell people: USE LI-ION CELLS.  They match very well with LEDs.  Smiley  And even when resistance IS required... it's pretty low / minimal.

Elloel
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2012, 01:56:47 PM »

First time posting in this forum, so please if i step on any toes let me know before dowsing me in kerosene Tongue.

Working with a OSB v1 (i think!) difference in wiring is instead of having a CAP (C1) its got two small guage wires - and there is a mini ubs tail on the other end of the board.

The reason im posting is because im getting a VERY interesting voltage issue, specifically, when following the diagram for the wiring, the board works as intended, post test when dropping in batteries, etc. BUT the LED is constant on. any ideas if im even dealing with an OSB or any insight on where to go next? Thanks in advance!

Dan Morningstar
SaberSmith - Saber Guild - www.saberguild.com

DarthBrute
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »

I am going to drop something here. I got the Liberator V3 with the buck puck. I bought the Obsidian V1 board from a friend of mine and it came with the LED driver. I  don't need to wire in the driver because I have the buck puck right?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: