Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Forming your own LED Saber Club. Some guidelines.  (Read 63661 times)
Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -129

« on: July 04, 2011, 03:00:50 AM »

I have been getting many PM's here and on FX-Sabers on what the proper way is to form an LED Saber club. This is a subjective question for many a reason because people make clubs for various reasons already. I have seen many a club come and go over the years, and here are some things that I have learned based on my experience. You may do what you want with my suggestions, but keep in mind that if you do become active in the LED Saber Community via forums, Facebook, etc. your actions or inactions will determine your credibility.

1. What is your mission?

If your mission is just to get together with your friends and swing sabers around and pretend you're Jedi, then cool. If you have no interest in learning how to use an LED saber other than to pretend duel and learn spins, more the power to you.

However, if your focus is to form a tangible group with members that are serious about learning how to use a LED Saber, whether it be for stage combat, real sparring, serious spins, etc. this is a whole new ballgame.

What to NOT do:

Call yourself a master, grandmaster or teacher unless you have REAL experience.

The LED Saberplay Community suffers from far too much of this. People think because they form a group that they are automatically a 'Master" and suddenly have the rights to teach LED Saberplay because of one reason or another, although they have no formal training in anything martial arts, weapons or combat related. If someone who got their 1st degree black belt in say, a style of karate (which is nowhere near Master Instructor Level) went and opened a school and suddenly changed their title to 'Master' simply because they owned the school, would most likely be deemed a fraud by his or her peers and shunned in the martial arts community. Don't call yourself a 'teacher' with 'students' if you are on the same level as them in saberplay. And watching and studying the fight scenes in the SW films does NOT make you a master of any sorts. It just makes you good at pausing and rewinding on your DVD player.  Wink

Think because you formed the group that people are going to automatically respect you.

Respect is something earned by not only your real teaching and leadership experience, but by your actions as well. If you are open to learning new things, listening to your group members and always being a fair person, you will find that you get a lot more respect than if you are the type to say "I am the leader of this group, you listen to me and do what I say or you're out."....members will drop like flies and rightfully so.

Not be open to other teacher's and saber club's ideas

Wanna get ostracized quickly and not grow as a group and a person? See above sentence.

What TO do:

Get some experience if you haven't got any.

Take some martial arts classes, either at a professional school, college or a rec center depending on your budget. Take sword training, fencing, something that can pertain to LED Saberplay. Formal instruction will help you in more ways than I can type here. But most importantly, it will give you a foundation to build upon.

Acknowledge your experience.

If you start from scratch with zero experience, it's OK to say "I have no experience whatsoever but am looking to learn and grow with a group" that sentence right there will show all the things that it takes to be a leader because you already have acknowledged many things.

Post videos with your tutorials

This is how I got my name out there, to let the saber clubs know who I am, what my credentials were and how I could contribute. They saw firsthand what I was able to do, and hopefully knew I wasn't just some goofy nerd who was pretending he knew how to swing around a noisy flashlight.  Cheesy

Make a Facebook fan or group page

Social Networking is the present and future. Facebook is a great way to reach out and connect with many others. Plus, you can create events and invite people. Your group can be either open or private.

Make a YouTube Channel and join a picture sharing site (Photobucket, Picasa, etc)

Share those vids and pics with the community!

Make sure you have a reliable place to practice.

Nothing is more frustrating than forming a meet, just to have the meet canceled because of rain, or some other act of God that is beyond anyone's control.  In the warmer months, practice at a local park (make sure it's in a nice area and check with your local law enforcement peeps to make sure it's OK first....just to be safe). In the rainy or cold months, depending on what you have at your disposal you may want to see if you can use someone's garage, covered patio, etc. If you get into renting a facility, be prepared to pay a heft sum for both space rent and insurance.

Hopefully this helps those folks out there who want to form a group of some kind and have had some questions. Please feel free to add to anything I just said and post anymore questions here.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:04:02 AM by Master Caine » Logged

Dark Lord Proscidior, Titus Solvan
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -22

Dark Side Points, Please

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 05:43:54 AM »

Master Caine: Thank you for taking the time to write this up. Clear. Concise. No BS.

This post needs to be stickied.

-=Growing Arsenal=-
Dark Std Issue V2 AB Perditio
Bellicose BR / AS unnamed
Dark Initiate V2 VA Incipio
Gifted
Aeon v2 AS Purgatrix
Dominix V2 BR Profanitrix

Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 05:45:46 AM »

Master Caine: Thank you for taking the time to write this up. Clear. Concise. No BS.

This post needs to be stickied.

Ask and you shall receive.  Wink

KettTares
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 06:45:24 AM »

Just what the doctor ordered!  These guidelines should definitely be followed by ANYONE already in or forming an LED saber group.  ^\^

Ultrasabers SI - Guardian Blue
Ultrasabers SI - Sunrider's Destiny
Ultrasabers Initiate V2 - Consular Green
Ultrasabers Aeon - Consular Green

DarkTLOoftheRepublic
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -2

Dark is my state of mind, The Last One is who I am

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »

May I humbly inquire if there is certain class out there, or specific training to help acheive an honored position such as "Master"?
My background has numerous trainings including martial arts, and professional stage combat, foil and longsword work.

If you embrace both, the light and the dark, then you can obtain a level of all powerful being. Then you can truly bring balance to the Force - DarkTLO

Prophecy - Consular Green(arrived)
Aeon - Arctic Blue(arrived)
Dominix v2 LE - Blazing Red(arrived)
PS Fury EL - Purple(still needs repair)

Enzayer
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 07:14:11 AM »

Where should we watch our step on such things as intellectual property and copyrights.  There are some heavy hitters in this arena, and I think we would rather stay out of trouble with them.

Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »

Where should we watch our step on such things as intellectual property and copyrights.  There are some heavy hitters in this arena, and I think we would rather stay out of trouble with them.

Good question! Basically, I wouldn't use anything with the word "Jedi" or "Lightsaber"  since those are copyrighted. Words like "Saber" and "Knights" (in lieu of Jedi) or anything else is fine.

As far as costumes and sabers....those are pretty safe. Lucas is aware of Ultrasabers, as well as other saber companies and everyone seems to be still alive and well.  Wink

May I humbly inquire if there is certain class out there, or specific training to help acheive an honored position such as "Master"?
My background has numerous trainings including martial arts, and professional stage combat, foil and longsword work.

Sounds like you have yourself some good experience! My only question would be how many years of combined experience do you have? And if you want to get specific, how many in each area?

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 03:59:04 AM »

So As a Shodan(for 12 years) I can't call myself a master? ....But I have the glow?  Grin
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWVhiIisH30" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWVhiIisH30</a>

Oh and what about those chain schools that sell you your Master rank. You buy into the chain and they Hand you the "master" title and all the course work, even if you have never trained a day in your life??  Roll Eyes(sorry I got off topic...they just irritate me)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:20:55 AM by Duff Man » Logged

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

DarkTLOoftheRepublic
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -2

Dark is my state of mind, The Last One is who I am

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 04:26:50 AM »

Sounds like you have yourself some good experience! My only question would be how many years of combined experience do you have? And if you want to get specific, how many in each area?

Nothing special, just a hodge podge:
Almost 2 years of professional stage combat training at a major theatre company in Minneapolis
Same goes for the Foil and Longsword training
2 years of Gymnastics
2 years of Capoeria
1 year of Savat
Some Gracie Jiu Jitsu
My father tried teaching me some Southern Chinese Praying Mantis while he was still around
1 year track
At least a decade of theatre and performance arts skills(plenty of dance and movement training)
and a couple of park program stunt classes

Havent been keeping up due to the hard economic times, but plan to as soon as things get better.

If you embrace both, the light and the dark, then you can obtain a level of all powerful being. Then you can truly bring balance to the Force - DarkTLO

Prophecy - Consular Green(arrived)
Aeon - Arctic Blue(arrived)
Dominix v2 LE - Blazing Red(arrived)
PS Fury EL - Purple(still needs repair)

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 05:18:34 PM »

So As a Shodan(for 12 years) I can't call myself a master? ....But I have the glow?  Grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWVhiIisH30#

Oh and what about those chain schools that sell you your Master rank. You buy into the chain and they Hand you the "master" title and all the course work, even if you have never trained a day in your life??  Roll Eyes(sorry I got off topic...they just irritate me)

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!  Cheesy

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »

I've been training in the martial arts since I was 5.  That gives me 19 years of experience, the vast majority of which is in TKD with cross training in Adrenal Bullet Man System, JKD, Aikido, Iaido, Kendo, brazilian jiu-jitsu and shotokan karate.

Nero Attoru has been in fencing for over 10 years and is nationally ranked in competition if I remember.  So together we have over 30 years combat experience.  What would you suggest we add to this to bring us to the next level?

Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »

I've been training in the martial arts since I was 5.  That gives me 19 years of experience, the vast majority of which is in TKD with cross training in Adrenal Bullet Man System, JKD, Aikido, Iaido, Kendo, brazilian jiu-jitsu and shotokan karate.

Nero Attoru has been in fencing for over 10 years and is nationally ranked in competition if I remember.  So together we have over 30 years combat experience.  What would you suggest we add to this to bring us to the next level?

You both certainly have plenty of experience to start and lead a group in my opinion. You have the knowledge and experience to call yourself an LED Saber Master Instructor with no doubt.  Smiley

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 08:16:41 PM »

Thank you!  And I just double checked, Nero has been fencing for 9 years.  At any rate your words are warming!

Fight on!

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 12:00:34 AM »

Somebody needs to move to Fargo     PAAAlease

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)
=====================================================================

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 05:42:27 AM »

Thank you!  And I just double checked, Nero has been fencing for 9 years.  At any rate your words are warming!

Fight on!

Indeed, it's been 9 years (oh dear lord that really makes me feel old saying that) since I started fencing... I used to fence nationally until college, where I continued it as captain of the foil squad and co-captain of the team.  Now I have returned to my school as assistant coach, and let me tell you it's weird being the one giving lessons!  Very gratifying though, giving back and being able to "pass on what I have learned" as Yoda would say.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: