Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Down
Author Topic: Jedi Academy: Tython  (Read 104757 times)
Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 08:02:03 AM »

History is being rewritten...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Seventh_Battle_of_Ruusan

Darth Logos has one version, from his reading of the Darth Bane trilogy, while I was going from the version contained in Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith.  That version states that the jedi built a monument to their fallen, then intentionally tried to forget about the whole thing, especially the part where they conscripted children and sent them barely trained into battle.  Of course, without that, Bane would never have found Rain...

The Jedi vs Sith is a beautiful book, with all the artwork and the whole concept makes it like a holocron!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 08:17:54 PM »

Great Holocron

Housed in the Jedi Archives on Coruscant, the Great Holocron was the centerpiece of the Jedi Temple's library holdings. It contained vast amounts of information that was accessible to any Force-sensitive being willing to open itself to the holocron, and Jedi trainees were encouraged to explore its contents. Despite its ease of access, consumption of its manifold mysteries was thought to be impossible—even Master Yoda was thought, by Archives Director Jocasta Nu, to still struggle with its depth.

While the Great Holocron was designed to only reveal information that its user was prepared to encounter, inexperienced Padawans accessed the Great Holocron under the watchful eye of the Archives Director who stood ready to step in if the young Jedi was drawn in too far.

Following the rise of the Galactic Empire, the Great Holocron was lost, probably captured by the 501st Legion troopers in the assault on the Jedi Temple during Order 66.

It was eventually rediscovered by the New Jedi Order in 40 ABY and placed in the library of the Ossus Academy under the care of Master Tionne Solusar. She was not sure whether it was the real Great Holocron or a well-crafted replica. She would update the Holocron with data from recent eras to continue the work of former archivists before her.

Contents

Topics included basic and advanced lightsaber construction methods, Galactic Republic history, philosophy, Sith history, lightsaber combat, and Jedi techniques. The Great Holocron also included discussions on the dark side of the Force and methods to resist its call.

During the course of the Order's history, many Jedi contributed various scraps of information. Some of the stories and journals submitted are as follows:

• Obi-Wan Kenobi's recount of his meeting with the Sith Lords, Darth Maul and Darth Tyranus.
  • Dooku on lightsaber combat, conquering arrogance, his resignation from the Order, and a protest to the Council after the events of the Battle of Baltizaar.
  • Yoda on farsight and the Chosen One.
  • Plo Koon on Electric Judgment and the Mission to Metellos.
  • Cin Drallig on the seven forms of lightsaber combat.
  • Mace Windu on Vaapad and the origin of the Korunnai; although the latter entry may have been propaganda by the Galactic Empire.
  • Siri Tachi's observations of Anakin Skywalker.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »

To what extent did the Jedi Agro-corps use the Force, considering that most of them were Initiates that failed to make Padawan?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 04:47:15 PM »

To what extent did the Jedi Agro-corps use the Force, considering that most of them were Initiates that failed to make Padawan?

"The Agricultural Corps, or AgriCorps, was one of the four branches of the Service Corps of the Jedi Order. The largest part of the Service Corps, this organization was formed so that those Jedi Initiates who had failed to pass their Trials could use their connection to the Force for the betterment of galactic society."

"Working in conjunction with the Republic Agricultural Administration to provide healthy crops to those under-privileged star systems suffering from natural disasters or blight, the AgriCorps also attracted ranking members of the Order who wished to take a more hands on approach to helping the common people of the galaxy."

"Members of the Corps focused on the Living Force and cultivating skills that aided in plant growth such as consitor sato."

(http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Agricultural_Corps)

Consitor Sato

"Plant Surge, or Consitor Sato, was a light side Force power which allowed the user to improve the plant's rate of growth and even affect the manner in which it grows. In battle, the ability to control a plant's growth with the Force could be used to cause plants to grow with incredible speed directly under the user's control, causing plant life to grow and twist around opponents, ensnaring anyone who wasn't quick enough to avoid it. Once ensnared, the victim would find it difficult to dodge and fight, and nearly impossible to move unless they escaped through force or finesse."

"Fellow Master Shaak Ti used this technique in conjunction with animal friendship against Galen Marek during their duel on Felucia, commanding the local sarlacc to lash out at the Sith apprentice with its feeding tentacles."

(http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Plant_Surge)

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 07:49:52 PM »

Makes me wonder if DS users also had a form of this ability, considering its offensive uses, or if it fell under the same type of restrictions similar to the Dark Side not being able to heal.

"Fellow Master Shaak Ti used this technique in conjunction with animal friendship against Galen Marek during their duel on Felucia, commanding the local sarlacc to lash out at the Sith apprentice with its feeding tentacles."

(http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Plant_Surge)

I remember her befriending the sarlaac, but I don't remember plant getting involved in the equation.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »

I remember her befriending the sarlaac, but I don't remember plant getting involved in the equation.

In canon, the only thing alluding to a Sarlacc being a plant is this:

"Sarlaccs would begin their lives as spores and were able to travel great distances."

However...

According to the Sarlacc page, under the Legends tab:

"The sarlacc was a semi-sentient, plant-like, omnivorous creature found on several planets across the galaxy. Not much was known about this creature, but it was unique in terms of galactic species. It lived to be tens of thousands of years old, and reproduced by spores."

(http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sarlacc)

To be completely honest, I didn't know any of the above until you asked. +1
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:58:55 PM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 08:01:18 PM »

In canon, the only thing alluding to a Sarlacc being a plant is this:

"Sarlaccs would begin their lives as spores and were able to travel great distances."

However...

According to the Sarlacc page, under the Legends tab:

"The sarlacc was a semi-sentient, plant-like, omnivorous creature found on several planets across the galaxy. Not much was known about this creature, but it was unique in terms of galactic species. It lived to be tens of thousands of years old, and reproduced by spores."

(http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sarlacc)

That is exceptionally confusing, since later in that same adventure Galen Marek ends up running through the "beast's" lungs. Plants don't have lungs. Or is the sarlaac supposed to be one of those weird SW things that doesn't completely fall in one category or the other? I remember reading something about an EU Jedi that was biologically a plant, that  manipulated its form into a woman.

Sig by For Tyeth

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 12:24:25 AM »

And to think that Obi-Wan was slated for the Agricultural Corps...how different would the story have been then?

The Star Wars complete visual dictionary has a giant two page cross section of the Sarlacc.  It's gross.  Here, I found the picture:  https://www.google.com/search?q=sarlacc+cross+section&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYzdaW8OHKAhVGJh4KHce5CC0Q_AUIBygB#imgrc=WfZGw9BYf6exyM%3A

You may be thinking of the Neti, although I don't know that gender applies to them.  One of them saved a treasure trove of ancient lightsabers on Ossus that was later discovered by Luke Skywalker.  See here: 
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Neti

And note that is all Legends Cry

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »

And to think that Obi-Wan was slated for the Agricultural Corps...how different would the story have been then?

You know, ever since Logos brought up the Argi-Corps, my mind went wild with the idea of a student not passing their trials and not being taken as a padawan. They are then assigned to the Agri-Corps, find it beneath them and slowly learn the value of it. The temple is attacked and our hero is the one that has to save their classmates through the use of their newly learned skills.

Jedi Masters (Holograms): "You're the only one that can help your friends, you must trust in yourself and trust in the force"

Hero: "Wait...you want me to protect the temple? I'm just the gardener!"

Anyway, I've been very tickled by this.  Cheesy

Vivectius
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 09:01:25 PM »

I just had an image of a teen-aged jedi in green robes leading a forest of Ents....  I wonder if they get lightsabers for brush clearing?  Maybe something in a Pine Green.

The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life

marina_bonomi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 152

Light side points, please

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 11:06:37 PM »

Very interesting info, thank you!

Could someone suggest novels giving more info on the service corps? I'm gathering ideas for my jedi persona and I'd like someone who doesn't follow the 'usual' path.

My arsenal:

Dark Arbiter Obsidian V4 / Emerald
Stealth Dominix V4 in Arctic Blue

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 11:12:34 PM »

Very interesting info, thank you!

Could someone suggest novels giving more info on the service corps? I'm gathering ideas for my jedi persona and I'd like someone who doesn't follow the 'usual' path.

Jedi Apprentice: The Rising Force, is the only novel that is under the Service Corps page and it first appeared in this book.

It is also referenced in: The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force and Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side.

Here is everything from Wookiepedia:

"The Jedi Service Corps was an organization formed by the Council of Reassignment during the Old Republic era as an alternative to serving in the more traditional capacity of the Jedi Knights. Because it was run by the Jedi Order, the members of the Service Corps were all considered Jedi, though many of its members had failed to pass their Initiate Trials and therefore could not proceed in training at the Jedi academy. "

The Service Corps was considered an honorable alternative to serving in the Army of Light or the mainstream Order following the Ruusan Reformation and the defeat of the Dark Lords of the Sith. Organized under the Reassignment Council, the Corps was made up of four branches: the Agricultural Corps, the Medical Corps, the Educational Corps, and the Exploration Corps. Membership in each was voluntary and many ranking members of the Order joined, but if an Initiate had failed the Trials the Council took care of assigning them based on different skills and requirements.

Serving the Galactic Republic in different ways than a Knight would, the Service Corps members were no less important in the Order and helped countless star systems throughout its history. Following centuries of involvement in galactic affairs, the Corps was disbanded in 19 BBY when the Republic's Supreme Chancellor, in truth the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious ordered that the Grand Army of the Republic slaughter all Jedi in the galaxy. While many were killed, many more were rounded up and taken to Byss by the Sith Lord-turned-Emperor for conversion training. Those who would not convert to the dark side were killed, while many did in fact pledge loyalty to the Sith.

When the Order was reestablished following the Galactic Civil War's conclusion, Grand Master Luke Skywalker opted not to rebuild the Corps; instead using information gathered from the ancient text, The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force, to blend its philosophies with that of the entire Order."

(Sauce: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Service_Corps)

marina_bonomi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 152

Light side points, please

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 11:25:45 PM »

Thank you so much!

My arsenal:

Dark Arbiter Obsidian V4 / Emerald
Stealth Dominix V4 in Arctic Blue

GavC
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 7

Keep Calm and Carry a Lightsaber

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 04:42:32 AM »

I was having some thoughts along the lines of the jedi use of the force. On another thread there was talk of whether Rey already has use of the force. It went on to mention that while being "tortured" by Kylo Ren he left "the door" open and that is how she so quickly gained the use of "the jedi mind trick". Along those lines is it possible that while the Emperor was using Force Lightening on Luke he got access to some form of it which he was later able to access?
I've never read anything beyond the movie universe so cannot comment on how Plo Kloon was able to use a similar thing

Standard Issue Battle Saber with Consular Green Blade & V4 Sound

Vivectius
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 08:25:25 AM »

I was having some thoughts along the lines of the jedi use of the force. On another thread there was talk of whether Rey already has use of the force. It went on to mention that while being "tortured" by Kylo Ren he left "the door" open and that is how she so quickly gained the use of "the jedi mind trick". Along those lines is it possible that while the Emperor was using Force Lightening on Luke he got access to some form of it which he was later able to access?
I've never read anything beyond the movie universe so cannot comment on how Plo Kloon was able to use a similar thing

Here's the jedi version of Sith Lightning: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Electric_Judgment .  Personally I think both versions should just be called Force Lightning; however, I also think the methods by which it is generated does differ between jedi and Sith.  

From my research, the Sith version is mostly fueled by anger and hate, although Palpatine appears to have also used the joy he found in torturing others to help fuel his.  My basis for this is both the joy he took in Lightning tossing Mace Windu out the window, and the look of almost pure glee on his face while torturing Luke.

The jedi version seems to be used mostly when under stress (as by Luke against the Yuuzhan Vong) or as a snap decision solution to a problem (as used by Plo Koon).  Neither, I think, were using it in anger or hate, nor were they using it to punish or torture.  It was simply a quick and effective method to get the job done.  

I don't think Luke picked it up from when Palpatine was using it on him for a couple of reasons.  First, I think Luke was in a bit too much pain to be doing much other than writhe in agony and beg his father to save him.  Second, if Luke did learn it from Palpatine, it was probably when he was Palaptine's apprentice after Palaptine reincarnated in his clone body.  If Rey learned it from Kylo when he was mind probing her, then it was due to their mind to mind contact.  I don't think Luke and Palpatine were ever linked that way.  It is possible that Luke did do further research into it after being subjected to it, and since he eventually did find the Great Holocron in which Plo Koon recorded his thoughts on it, it's also possible he learned it from there.  One could say that Palpatine inspired him  Shocked.

Unknown to death
 Nor known to life

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: