Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: sabre staff cutting dirll, guards and plays  (Read 13627 times)
Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 03:25:40 AM »

Sadly you are a plane ride away, although my wife has wanted to visit England again....

I look forward to seeing more videos.  I think what you're doing is great from a beginners point of view, learning the basics and uses of a double bladed saber (I visited your web page, and understand why you don't like the term "Saberstaff").

I realized that, for someone who has little or no experience either fighting with or against a double bladed saber, what you're doing works very well.  My problem is that I'm looking at it as someone who does have a lot of experience dealing with them.  So to me, someone using one against me using a single Lightsaber doesn't have a huge advantage since I know their strengths and weaknesses (which becomes an advantage for me if my opponent is over confident thinking that most people don't know how to fight against a double bladed saber).

The more I think about it, the more I think that, offensively, using a double bladed saber, you almost want your first cut to be blocked so you can bring the second blade around, moving your opponents blade away, while striking with the second.  Now I definitely need to get a coupler and put a couple of saber together to play with...

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Westmoore
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 23

temple guards

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 07:29:38 AM »

Thanks I really appreciate that!!!
what you described making the first cut a block is the style of plays I prefer. It looks like a strike to the opponent but is drawn short to a hanging (a guard kind of position) as they engage your blade there becomes some massive holes in their position and....you get the idea Smiley
once basics are down I want to look at the more complicated styles of plays unfortunately my training partner had something come up so Ive done a couple of plays as if I have a partner (never works aswell) just need to do some editing and I'll try and get them up

Abyss
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 10

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 06:36:10 PM »

I'm curious, Vivectius, and always hungry for knowledge. What are some examples of weaknesses displayed by double bladed saber users which you can take advantage of?

Neither Light nor Dark are superior. Rigid denial of self and blood obedience to dogma is just as oppressive as abandonment to base passions and unchecked pursuit of power. Do the good you can for whom you can, but do not succumb to either extreme.

I may be Gray, but I lean Light, so those points are appreciated.

SRD Apprentice v4, BR Dark Apprentice v4

Westmoore
Knight Sergeant

temple guards

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 06:29:36 AM »

Abyss sure Vivectius will give you a fuller answer but most people believe the length of the hilt makes for an 'easy' target
I agree it's a target but feel it's no more a target than the hilt of any saber
others comment on how you are more inclined to sever your own limbs due to the second blade
My unsolicited opinion is that with training and practice this is no more likely than any weapon
BUT this is what I am trying to do through the saberforum community as we build a system of fighting for this fairly unique weapon Cheesy

Ps sure there's more weaknesses people can point out and would appreciate them being pointed out so we can overcome those Cheesy

Tanq
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 98

Knight of Hearts

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 09:27:45 PM »

The hilt being a big target is more a matter of whether or not your technique presents it as a target. If you have proper understanding of threat, then it should be less of a problem than it is for someone who doesn't have the experience or the understanding.  This is true for pretty much any long arm/staff art.

The other thing I would say is to be very careful of translating techniques from weapon to weapon. Some will take to varying degrees, others will make absolutely zero sense. I have been developing saberstaff techniques based off of jo and quarterstaff techniques for the last 2 years against other weapons - some make sense, others needed modification, and some are just impractical. It's often been said that only a crazy person would wield a short staff against a sword, but various classical schools have thrived in spite of those accusations.

Also, be wary of anything said on a forum Smiley Test against the experienced, learn along the way.

Westmoore
Knight Sergeant

temple guards

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 05:37:38 AM »

Yo sorry videos aren't there yet prioritisation issues.

Tanq really like how you put the hilt 'issue' and would love to see some of what you've put together over the last 2 year's as I'm sure your jo/quarter staff offers a different insight!!!
and thank you for the advice I thought this would be a longwinded project but one I really want to see flourish Cheesy
Hopefully see more soon Cheesy

Westmoore
Knight Sergeant

temple guards

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 03:49:54 PM »

So still been missing chances to film with somebody so here's a couple basic cutting drills first links the two high-low cuts from left to right, not winding the sabre as many times on the way up to allow for the change of stance, the second uses the first technique to allow a chain of high to low, left the right, followed by horizontal cuts left and right followed by rising cuts left and right eventually ending in the starting position able to carry on

Let me know what you guys think, this is just a cutting drill to be done solo allowing the user to get use to how the sabre moves Cheesy
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7pAalcTfc0&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7pAalcTfc0&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

and
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_U2bacIbw4&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_U2bacIbw4&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

lets see some of YOUR techniques with the dual sabre Cheesy

Ascinius
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 03:09:23 AM »

This is awesome I have been looking for double bladed work for a while! I'd love to see more videos

Westmoore
Knight Sergeant

temple guards

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 05:07:44 AM »

Thanks Ascinius Cheesy
Def be more soon and hopefully WITH a partner Cheesy
if you or anyone have some double bladed videos or techniques or anything please put them up Cheesy

Westmoore
Knight Sergeant

temple guards

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »

if people are getting sick of these let me know but just a quick defend and counter drill
 attack comes at you from above meeting the blade early ideally above your own head (this can be altered for lower but at a greater measure by tiltin the sabre...just watch your own leg when passing from one side to the other)
and returning with a high strike of your own
this works well for the continuity of the exercise I prefer other counters but they don't flow back to the start quite aswell
opinions questions likes dislikes please comment Cheesy

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-MVkQbuqvI&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-MVkQbuqvI&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Westmoore
Knight Sergeant

temple guards

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 01:06:26 PM »

Yo so having trouble tying down a sparing partner...this hasn't stopped me training though
I grabbed a trusty meyer square (below) and have been doing differing drills and wondered if others have used this before for staff work or if they try it to share videos or comments etc Cheesy

I could be using this wrong but i work from the outside in so cutting from my high right to low left as 1 then low left to high right for 2 low right to high left 3 high left low right for 4 then working in a line.....
Things I've tried
1 turning the light in my left hand off
        with this i left the blade in but only cut with the blade illuminated forcing proper cuts as the second blade is present but allowed me to focus on where the cut came from
2 turning the other light off for the same effect but forcing the opposite hand to perform the cuts

3performing blocks using the sequence

4 performing blocks on odd number and counters on even number (and reversing the odds and evens)

So let me know what you think if the thread should be allowed to die let me know, ill continue working on this but ill stop posting so you don't have another useless thread being posted Cheesy or if this has been useful load some vids of your own ask questions I may not have answers but sure we can work them out Cheesy

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 01:45:45 PM »

I am new on this forum but i do not know if there are lots of useless threads Smiley

I know the Meyer square from some friends but i have never use it by myself ... When i do not have sparing partner, i generally perform shadow choreographies Smiley

But +1 for the idea ... I will try Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Westmoore
Knight Sergeant

temple guards

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 08:15:59 PM »

So for tgose following the thread I keep hearing how easy it is to hit the double sabers hilt...

My question how do we move to make the hilt less easy to hit or even use the opponents attackig the hilt to the dblsabers advantage

Eager to hear idea Smiley

Westmoore
Knight Sergeant

temple guards

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2016, 01:43:26 PM »

Hi all...so no one else answered yet so I had a play around with descending cuts keeping the pivot point in the front blade hopefully reducing the opponents ability to target the hilt, from above anyway...

the challenge here was not hitting yourself with the second blade....yes I do hit myself once nice and close to the camera

let me know what you guys thing positives negatives or ANYTHING double bladed sabre related Cheesy
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQ2KUC9u1o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQ2KUC9u1o</a>

Jaytee
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2016, 02:16:50 AM »

This conversation makes me think... Cortosis is an ore which shows up in the old expanded universe. What if a double bladed staff user integrated cortosis weave into the hilt of their staff? That would allow for the use of the center section for blade contact. Such a modification would also increase the utility of light polearms.

According to Wookieepedia, cortosis has been made canon.

There's also a material called phrik which is lightsaber resistant. There is actually a precedent for lightsaber hilts made from phrik: Darth Sidious' lightsabers. Phrik is also canon.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: