Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Down
Author Topic: The Movie Chat Thread  (Read 56797 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2017, 02:07:36 AM »

Unpopular Opinion:

Sucker Punch is one of the greatest movies ever made.
Yep. Very unpopular opinion. In terms of just being a movie. In terms of imaginative fight sequences and cinematography, then yes, Sucker Punch is amazing.

However, you cannot ignore the blatant and very well documented sexism and misogyny that the movie contains.

I mentioned somewhere earlier on the thread that Zack Synder's true calling is as a director of photography. For all the criticisms levelled at his movies, his cinematography and visuals are ALWAYS on point. His failings are in storytelling and narrative.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2017, 02:26:13 AM »

I mentioned somewhere earlier on the thread that Zack Synder's true calling is as a director of photography.

Zack's true calling is as a DP.

Trying to steal my thunder? Tongue

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2017, 02:26:47 AM »

Yep. Very unpopular opinion. In terms of just being a movie. In terms of imaginative fight sequences and cinematography, then yes, Sucker Punch is amazing.

However, you cannot ignore the blatant and very well documented sexism and misogyny that the movie contains.

I mentioned somewhere earlier on the thread that Zack Synder's true calling is as a director of photography. For all the criticisms levelled at his movies, his cinematography and visuals are ALWAYS on point. His failings are in storytelling and narrative.

Isn't the Sexism and misogyny the main plot point...that the girls are being used.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2017, 02:32:11 AM »

Isn't the Sexism and misogyny the main plot point...that the girls are being used.
There are ways to portray those things in a movie without it being exploitative, which (whether intentional or not) Sucker Punch comes across. Which is not good.

Trying to steal my thunder? Tongue
In our earlier conversation I said cinematographer then you came in with DP, but they are essentially the same thing

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2017, 02:36:17 AM »

There are ways to portray those things in a movie without it being exploitative, which (whether intentional or not) Sucker Punch comes across. Which is not good.

Exactly, the exploitation is wholly part of the narrative.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2017, 02:41:44 AM »

Exactly, the exploitation is wholly part of the narrative.
I'm talking about execution of it though. For all intents purposes, whether people are willing to admit it, Sucker Punch comes across as pandering to teenage fanboys in the worst ways. None of the characters has a strong arc. None of the female characters is particularly strong or compelling to watch (in ways like Ripley in Alien is or Sarah Connor in Terminator is).

As I said, I understand what Synder was trying to do, but his execution fell way way short of the mark. Case in point, I have yet to meet or have a discussion with a female film fan or female member of the geek community who likes that movie. Or will try and defend the supposed exploitation narrative. Admittedly I haven't spoken to every female in the world, but when you read articles online about and see comments in the comments section from women, they are never positive.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2017, 02:45:28 AM »

I'm talking about execution of it though. For all intents purposes, whether people are willing to admit it, Sucker Punch comes across as pandering to teenage fanboys in the worst ways. None of the characters has a strong arc. None of the female characters is particularly strong or compelling to watch (in ways like Ripley in Alien is or Sarah Connor in Terminator is).

As I said, I understand what Synder was trying to do, but his execution fell way way short of the mark. Case in point, I have yet to meet or have a discussion with a female film fan or female member of the geek community who likes that movie. Or will try and defend the supposed exploitation narrative. Admittedly I haven't spoken to every female in the world, but when you read articles online about and see comments in the comments section from women, they are never positive.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2017, 02:46:56 AM »

Thanks LB. Also, check out this link that discusses primarily with the depiction of women in the film and the criticisms it drew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucker_Punch_(2011_film)#Depiction_of_women

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2017, 02:57:27 AM »

Eh..we'll leave it at this... people will find any reason to claim objectification or sexism.  Don't like?  shut up and watch something else.  I'm out for the night.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2017, 03:11:51 AM »

Eh..we'll leave it at this... people will find any reason to claim objectification or sexism.  Don't like?  shut up and watch something else.  I'm out for the night.
There may be times when those claims are a bit far-fetched. However, with regards to Sucker Punch, those claims are very well-founded.

I'm not knocking anyone for liking the movie. I'm just trying to highlight that the movie has been heavily criticised for it's depiction of women and attitude towards sexual violence of women. And that is going to be the last thing I say on this subject, lest we end up going down a rabbit-hole that is inappropriate on the forum.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2017, 09:09:44 PM »

I'm gonna start a new thing here, one that hopefully people will enjoy:

LB's Hipster Movie of the Week

Every Sunday I'll choose one slightly obscure/not very well known movie that I either watched recently or have been thinking about, and share it with everyone here. To get an idea of how obscure I'll be going, I won't be sharing any recent blockbusters, movies that won a lot of Oscar awards, or bona fide classics, but I will share recent films that went under the radar or a small part of film history. Nothing crazy though, like some indie movie that's only playing at 2 festivals or one of the lesser-known works of Catherine Breillat.

For example: if I were to share a Martin Scorsese movie, I wouldn't choose TAXI DRIVER, THE DEPARTED, or THE WOLF OF WALL STREET, but MEAN STREETS, KUNDUN, and SHUTTER ISLAND are totally up for grabs.

I'll also include a trailer (or poster, if not available), IMDb synopsis, the writer and director, top-billed actors, ratings information for those concerned about content, and where to stream the film.

For my first choice I'm going to honor the release of LOGAN and choose a superhero movie:

THE PHANTOM (1996)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylMVvzQrrII" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylMVvzQrrII</a>

IMDb Synopsis: The Phantom, descendent of a line of African superheroes, travels to New York City to thwart a wealthy criminal genius from obtaining three magic skulls which would give him the secret to ultimate power.

Starring: Billy Zane
Kristy Swanson
Treat Williams

Directed by: Simon Wincer

Written by: Jeffrey Boam

MPAA Rating: PG

Available on: Netflix
Vudu from $2.99
Amazon Video from $2.99
YouTube from $2.99

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2017, 09:15:34 PM »

I'm gonna start a new thing here, one that hopefully people will enjoy:

LB's Hipster Movie of the Week

Every Sunday I'll choose one slightly obscure/not very well known movie that I either watched recently or have been thinking about, and share it with everyone here. To get an idea of how obscure I'll be going, I won't be sharing any recent blockbusters, movies that won a lot of Oscar awards, or bona fide classics, but I will share recent films that went under the radar or a small part of film history. Nothing crazy though, like some indie movie that's only playing at 2 festivals or one of the lesser-known works of Catherine Breillat.

For example: if I were to share a Martin Scorsese movie, I wouldn't choose TAXI DRIVER, THE DEPARTED, or THE WOLF OF WALL STREET, but MEAN STREETS, KUNDUN, and SHUTTER ISLAND are totally up for grabs.

I'll also include a trailer (or poster, if not available), IMDb synopsis, the writer and director, ratings information for those concerned about content, and where to stream the film.

For my first choice I'm going to honor the release of LOGAN and choose a superhero movie:

THE PHANTOM (1996)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylMVvzQrrII

Firstly, i LOVE THIS IDEA. Secondly, one suggestion if you don't mind? Maybe include who stars in the movie as well?

And The Phantom is (almost) up there on the same level as Flash Gordon, The Shadow and The Rocketeer.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2017, 09:20:51 PM »

Firstly, i LOVE THIS IDEA. Secondly, one suggestion if you don't mind? Maybe include who stars in the movie as well?

And The Phantom is (almost) up there on the same level as Flash Gordon, The Shadow and The Rocketeer.

Good suggestion. Post edited!

It's a super solid and fun movie. Perfect for any lazy Sunday afternoon. Grin

It was also part of the era of superhero movies when studio execs wanted to cash in on the success of BATMAN (1989), but weren't familiar enough with modern superheroes to make anything really successful, hence why you see the Phantom, Rocketeer, and Shadow as the heroes chosen to adapt.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »

Good suggestion. Post edited!

It's a super solid and fun movie. Perfect for any lazy Sunday afternoon. Grin

It was also part of the era of superhero movies when studio execs wanted to cash in on the success of BATMAN (1989), but weren't familiar enough with modern superheroes to make anything really successful, hence why you see the Phantom, Rocketeer, and Shadow as the heroes chosen to adapt.
Plus the technology just wasn't there to successfully make some of the superhero movies (imagine X-Men or The Avengers done in the 90s! *shudders to think*).

Just thought of another two movies for the list that you just mentioned: Darkman and Dick Tracy

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2017, 09:24:39 PM »

Plus the technology just wasn't there to successfully make some of the superhero movies (imagine X-Men or The Avengers done in the 90s! *shudders to think*).

Just thought of another two movies for the list that you just mentioned: Darkman and Dick Tracy

I LOVE DARKMAN. Haven't seen DICK TRACY yet, but DARKMAN is one of many great works from the incomparable Sam Raimi (who, along with Charlie Kaufman, is my favorite filmmaker).

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: