Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Importance of balancing the saber  (Read 1976 times)
Gym Kirk
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« on: April 16, 2018, 04:54:17 AM »

For dueling it seems real important to have the balance point of the saber at the choke point by the emitter. I would expect that a full sized mid grade should balance at the choke point. Do any of the ultrasabers do this? It seems like the other guys all balance above the emitter. I’m surprised that there aren’t pommels available made out of heavier metals to balance the blade better. Am I alone in this consideration? I’ve posted elsewhere and emailed manufacturers, and they don’t seem to share the importance of this idea. My Initiate v3 balances above the emitter with a 32” mid grade blade. I plan on using a thinner fencing blade for this saber, which I’m hoping will balance. I want to get a two handed dueling saber.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 06:14:13 AM »

Balance is indeed important. a lot of U.S. hilts and lightsabers in general dont take this into consideration, but one thing I've noticed is that you can add steel socket pieces meant for a socket rench into the pommels of some sabers to add weightr, the reaper is good for that. I've also had some luck with cutting off parts of the emitter to balance them. There are also sabers that are naturally well balanced or near to it like the archon. If youre interested in a specific saber that I own I can get it out and check the balance for you if youd like to know to help you buy.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:37:01 AM »

As far as I know the location of the balance point really comes down to preference:
I think most saber manufactures place the PoB similar to the one of 'regular' martial arts weapons.

Side note:
Most two-handed swords have their PoB somewhere between 3 and 6 inches after the cross, Montante being an exception with 1 to 2 inches.
        (see e.g. http://www.regenyei.com/en_twohanded_custom.php)
'Regular' sabers vary quite a bit, too, as their PoB may be anywhere between 2 and 6 inches from the guard.
        (see e.g. http://www.regenyei.com/en_saber.php)
-> In that regard 'our' light sabers are quite 'realistic' Wink

On topic:
I love the idea of heavier MHS-compatible pommels (e.g. made of steel) as this would making a dedicated spinning / flow / contact saber much easier!

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:28:07 PM »

As far as I know the location of the balance point really comes down to preference:
I think most saber manufactures place the PoB similar to the one of 'regular' martial arts weapons.

Side note:
Most two-handed swords have their PoB somewhere between 3 and 6 inches after the cross, Montante being an exception with 1 to 2 inches.
        (see e.g. http://www.regenyei.com/en_twohanded_custom.php)
'Regular' sabers vary quite a bit, too, as their PoB may be anywhere between 2 and 6 inches from the guard.
        (see e.g. http://www.regenyei.com/en_saber.php)
-> In that regard 'our' light sabers are quite 'realistic' Wink

On topic:
I love the idea of heavier MHS-compatible pommels (e.g. made of steel) as this would making a dedicated spinning / flow / contact saber much easier!

Good point about the heavier pommels. I have an Aeon V4 with a Catalyst pommel and 32 inch blade, putting the balance point right at the emitter. I find this is perfect for me because it reminds me of a well balanced Katana and I personally like to hold a saber about as high as possible for single hand. But heavier pommels would be great for contact work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: