Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Newbie to Combat  (Read 1829 times)
tksan17
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

Finding my way in The Force

« on: September 09, 2018, 05:53:15 AM »

Anyone know of a good place to start? I just got my first lightsaber. I'm in Tampa Bay area of Florida..

Proud owner of my first lightsaber!

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 06:15:42 AM »

It depends how serious you want to get. I researched this a couple years ago and found it's not really for me, but I did find out a bunch of general information.

First, you can start with a web search. If you search the web, you can find out if there are any local lightsaber clubs. The closest I found to me was too far away to be of help, but you may have better luck. Lightsaber clubs can be anything from a fun group that hangs out together to talk sabers and maybe cross swords a bit without as much formal training, to a hardcore group that trains and focuses on the seven forms of lightsaber combat and the correct use of the sword. Different people will find enjoyment from either of those, it depends on the individual.

If you can't find any lightsaber specific groups, you can always search out sword/martial weapons training in general. Kendo is what lightsaber combat from the newer films is based on. Some people study that, and it gives you the core of lightsaber combat. Others go with other weapons training. Arnis, also known as Kali or Escrima, is another one. It's a Filipino martial art that focuses heavily on weapons use. And, of course, there's good old fashioned fencing, and even groups that train in medieval sword fighting. Any of that will teach you proper use of a sword, which can translate to a lightsaber.

If you can't find anything nearby that will suit your needs, there's always YouTube. I was starting with the fundamentals videos for Shii Cho from Terra Prime Light Armory back in 2016. They're good videos, showing you moves for each form of lightsaber combat. For more on what they teach, I'll let Master Nero Attoru take it from here:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=35285.0

Anyway, if you can't find anything local, you can always start with the TPLA videos. You can join their FB group and submit videos for their instructors to assess your technique, etc. It may be a good idea to have a training buddy, though. But, you can certainly learn without one. They even have dulons, which are combat based performance routines that will help you hone your skills.

Lightspeed Saber League is another one with online videos. Their fundamentals videos teach you various techniques. You can search that out on YouTube if you'd like to know more.

Also, if you want to try and find a local sparring partner on this forum, check out this thread: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=6439.0

So, there are options. It will definitely take some searching and research on your own to find out what is available and what will be best for you. Smiley

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 02:22:26 PM »

The J.o.E. LSC is down in Brevard County. Feel free to join our Facebook group. I run a distance learning program now with our curriculum. If you need video reference material, plenty of things on the forums. Any questions, let us know

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 05:52:19 PM »

To complete the two very interesting previous answers, if you are a complete Newbie, you can also consider to join a classic MA (Kendo, Kun Fu ...) or Fencing program ... it will always bring you some very interesting basics Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -68

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 11:48:49 PM »

Anyone know of a good place to start? I just got my first lightsaber. I'm in Tampa Bay area of Florida..
Hi tksan and welcome to the world of saber combat 😀, start with Google videos angles of attack. Practice with your favored arm then when you have it down your other side. For foot work and spinning message me I'll make you videos explaining and showing you some tricks good luck and may the force be with you

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vengeance is a must death will follow no one will survive
 Crimson Scorpion diamond, dark Initiate v4 stunt, Sentinel LE v4 stunt, Aeon v4 stunt.   If I could name change it would have been Darth Sithious

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 01:00:08 AM »

tksan17 has been given some very good information from our Forum Masters and helpful members.  Unfortunately he has yet to respond... but I hope that others will also appreciate and use the contents of this thread.  Smiley

Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -68

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 06:49:39 PM »

tksan17 has been given some very good information from our Forum Masters and helpful members.  Unfortunately he has yet to respond... but I hope that others will also appreciate and use the contents of this thread.  Smiley
   Want to apologize again, I'll post videos in the future but nothing that has instructions. I like to help people same as people helped me that was my intention, just happy to be here I was to excited

Vengeance is a must death will follow no one will survive
 Crimson Scorpion diamond, dark Initiate v4 stunt, Sentinel LE v4 stunt, Aeon v4 stunt.   If I could name change it would have been Darth Sithious

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: