Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Obi-Wan vs Vader ANH Reimagined  (Read 5148 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 06:36:56 AM »

Your not the first I've heard with that opinion, and it really does illustrate the different ways we see Star Wars.  For me, and it seems others, we are not viewing them as Prequels, Original Trilogy, Sequel Trilogy...but as one whole. yes they all have different "feels" about them because of not only the era's they take place in but also when they were filmed.  ANH had a lot against it when it came to the duel.  Lucas didn't really have the full story solid yet, Prowse had no interest in learning choreography, Sir Alec was a 62 year old man with no training, the on set lightsabers were very fragile so they could only really tap them and they had to rotoscope the blades over each film cell.  All this lead to a very slow paced duel that, tbh, didn't have a lot of heart to it.  For many though this was their first taste of Jedi vs Sith...be it you saw it in 77 or were younger and saw it. 
    While it may work within the OT, in the larger it doesn't.  There is no in universe reason for them to be that sluggish.  This fight shows two aged and more experienced warriors who abandoned the over flashy flourishes for the most part and are focused on ending the fight that has brewed for 20 years.  Also the physical manifestation of Vader's rage in his movements.  For me, it works much better than the original duel.  Doesn't mean I think it should be edited in to all copies of ANH nor is it without its flaws, mostly due to the fact its fan made and not big budget.

When taken as a re-imagination and put into the larger context of the story as a whole, it does work. However, I've always viewed each SW film as a standalone first, and a piece of a larger story second (one of my biggest problems with TLJ). Because of that, it just doesn't seem like it belongs. Also, I've always got the feeling while watching the original scene that Obi-Wan is doing more than fighting Darth Vader, I always felt like he was buying time for Luke & Co. He knew that he was not going to make it off the Death Star, so he provided the much needed time for the others to do so. With that in mind, the other, slower, more specific fight makes more sense to me. Had they wanted/needed too I definitely think it could have looked like this, but I don't feel like that was needed. Also, though fighting and choreography is super awesome to me (I'd love to get into stunts), Sir Alec's acting was what sold me here. I am primarily an actor, and though at the time of my first watching I didn't realize this, the acting obviously had an impact on me. So while the duel itself wasn't "spectacular" the story and character of Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader (who even if we hadn't watched the Prequels yet knew that they had a long, sad history) made it that much richer. It is a great scene no matter which version you like, and I'm not saying that anyone is wrong for liking one over the other. We all have our opinions, and we all watch the movies differently. Like Knox has said many many times, movies are subjective. That is the beauty of these films. We can discuss them and explain our opinions, and (most the time) people don't have a problem if you don't share their opinion.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 08:36:46 PM »

And.....why can't we get SW like this? Angry

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 08:52:36 PM »

When I watch ANH, the original scene always gets to me, because it feels more a war of psyche. The one that moves first, loses.

I can understand this vision of it though, because, as Anakin/Vader states: "The circle is now complete". The last great gasp of Obi-wan, as be meets and falls to his padawan, to make way for Luke and to help him into the future.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 08:56:14 PM »

And.....why can't we get SW like this? Angry

Because they get subpar choreographers....  When fan films and Game Cinematics have more exciting and engaging duels than the films there is an issue

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 08:56:50 PM »

Because they get subpar choreographers....  When fan films and Game Cinematics have more exciting and engaging duels than the films there is an issue
Tell me about it. That was sublime. I loved how raw and angry Vader's style was.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 02:39:08 PM »

While there's aspects of this I like I'd probably walk it back a bit to make it fit with the original more. I tend to view Obi-Wan/Vader fight in New Hope as being like the two veteran samurai who are both at a level where 90% of the battle is happening inside their heads as they just stand there calculating every possible attack and counter until they're ready to strike and the battle ends in just a few moves, or even one.  I get the sense that when a certain level in The Force is reached the need for elaborate movements decreases.

But it is interesting to get to see a different take and for a fan production this is some amazing work.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 02:57:10 PM »

While there's aspects of this I like I'd probably walk it back a bit to make it fit with the original more. I tend to view Obi-Wan/Vader fight in New Hope as being like the two veteran samurai who are both at a level where 90% of the battle is happening inside their heads as they just stand there calculating every possible attack and counter until they're ready to strike and the battle ends in just a few moves, or even one.  I get the sense that when a certain level in The Force is reached the need for elaborate movements decreases.

But it is interesting to get to see a different take and for a fan production this is some amazing work.

You have to remember that Vader has lost much of his connection to the Force as well as being Forced to create a whole new way of fighting because of the limitations of his suit. Vader is always shown after ANH as being very aggressive in fights...this perfectly fits.  Now in real life often allowing aggression to move your arms can hinder you...but for a Sith its the opposite. Obi-Wan is going to have to respond in kind to even stand a chance.

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 08:29:47 PM »

I agree with you about Vader being aggressive and NH is by no means perfect but I'm just saying if it were up to me (which of course it isn't) I would edit this to be a bit more in line with the tone and style of the original film. I think some things about this work well with that feel and some don't.  Just IMO.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 09:51:27 PM »

I agree with you about Vader being aggressive and NH is by no means perfect but I'm just saying if it were up to me (which of course it isn't) I would edit this to be a bit more in line with the tone and style of the original film. I think some things about this work well with that feel and some don't.  Just IMO.

It comes down to how you view it.  I look at all 6 films as a whole.... and the fight in ANH just stands out as the least exciting fight; for many reasons.  Lucas didn't quite have the whole story fleshed out, the age of Alec Guinness  , the refusal of David Prowse to practice and the tech restrictions..all lead to a pretty slow fight that not only doesnt not mesh with the rest of the series...but also with what we know of the characters.   For me this fits...Vader's hatred of Obi-Wan is evident in his movements and style.  The fight is emotional over technical.  How I see it. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: