Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New to Lightsaber Combat  (Read 1884 times)
quetzlcota
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: December 06, 2019, 04:29:59 PM »

Hiya! I'm Rosalind.
I'm precisely new to saber combat, and I'm just not all too sure what to do. I'd someone with some experience to give me some advice? I'm all clueless. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!

At long last, the Sith will have their revenge.

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 07:47:10 PM »

Step 1 - Get a lightsaber. (Technically this is optional as you can use your imagination along with a long 1 1/2" diameter wooden dowel, a piece of PVC pipe, or even a wiffle bat. But I very strongly recommend getting a lightsaber.)

Step 2 - Get protective gear. (This is NOT optional.)

Step 3 - Read through this sub-forum for information on lightsaber combat training groups, extra tips on specific protective gear, and general information on techniques.

Step 4 - Remember to have fun. Enjoying what you're doing is important.

Step 5 - If you're unsure about any specific aspect of anything at all, ask. I think the people on this forum enjoy helping others about as much as they enjoy lightsabers in general.

Some good informative links:

A really good analysis/discussion of the seven forms of lightsaber combat: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=2131.0 (Follow the link from the original post to read the actual written paper first, then read the rest of the thread).

A good blog link to all things lightsaber combat: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=31717.0

TPLA thread: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=35285.0
TPLA Youtube Channel (which for some reason isn't in the TPLA thread): https://www.youtube.com/user/TerraPrimeLightsaber

Bendu Lightsaber combat link: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24396.0

This thread on how to get started: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=40661

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Frenzi3d_Ronin
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 08:25:04 PM »

Heres a few tips:

1. The best approach if you want to dive right in (or not) is to Find a dueling club in your area. There you can have a hands on experience to help you get a feel for what goes down
2. For combat techniques, there are two good ways to learn
-sparring. This is was the best way for me. That way, someone can give you feedback and firsthand knowledge of possible techniques, counters, and everything else. It'll also give you a chance to test them too.
-online videos. this is more for at-home practice. though Id prefer the first option

3. Don't start with the "exotic" saber fighting styles/types (aka saberstaffing, dual-wielding, etc). start with just standard single blade (one or two handed). To know these other forms, one must have a good foundation first.
4. Find out what suits you. Are you a fast fighter who uses offense to end the fight quickly, a calm, defensive fighter or both? do you like to let your opponent wear himself out before you strike, or do you prefer to overpower him with raw brutality?everyone has their own style.
5. If you've done other weapons combat sports before, see if you can translate some of your prior skills to this. Lightsaber combat is supposed to be a coalescence of all types of sword (or polearm) fighting. Note that not all types of weapon fighting can translate over.

well, those are a few hints, however, clunky they sound. hope it helps, m8.

There's nothing, no opponent I cannot beat (eventually).
light side, dark side, why not relish both?
I relish the fight, shall never back down, and will win no matter the cost.
In a battle, 1, 2, 3 opponents against me, their sabers against my own, that is my home.
I serve no master or side, for I am my own, but I will always fight the good fight.
I am a ronin, and this is my oath.

Sabers:
Dominix LE v4 stunt GB
Dominix v4 stunt w/windows and A/V switch BR
Grab Bag Saber--Dark Apprentice v4 stunt GB

quetzlcota
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 12:28:07 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions, but there are no dueling partners or training clubs anywhere near me. I was looking for stuff that I could practice at home ...

At long last, the Sith will have their revenge.

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions, but there are no dueling partners or training clubs anywhere near me. I was looking for stuff that I could practice at home ...

Start with the basics, yes it may sound boring, it may become boring, but a strong foundation really is the key.
Holding your saber and some basic spins, strikes and blocks. Master those and then gradually build up.
I'm don't practice Kali/Escrima but you might want to look at them. From what I know they have a solid basic thought/ principle they apply to all the strikes, etc.
Setup a wooden pole, wrap some padding around (old seatcussion, thick towels) in the garden and start practicing those techniques and directions.

If you're looking for some online tutorials (mostly on spinning I believe), search this forum, several of the people here made a nice overview of tutorials. I forgot the names and threats, so you have to do a quick search yourself.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 04:15:46 PM »

Hello,

And Welcome Wink

SNK, F_R and T2CW gave many interessant and important advices Wink

If you do not have a Lightsaber club in your area, you may start with some more traditional martial arts or sports.

Have a look on clubs or associations around you. It could be fencing, HEMA, kali, kung fu, kendo ... depending on the fighting style you prefer. All these disciplines will teach you many important things :

- How to train safely (and this is the most important)
- How to move, how to manage the distance with your opponent ...
- And Some fighting spirit Wink

These are basics ... but there are the most efficient way to have fun with your lightsaber Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: