Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: My Opinion On The New Star Wars Movies (Games and Series Don’t Count)  (Read 7732 times)
clackattack99
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

« on: January 14, 2020, 07:18:12 AM »

When The Force Awakens wasn’t a perfect movie that follows too much of a familiar formula, but was a decent starter to a trilogy that had room to evolve as it went on. Then Rogue One comes out that has some characters that were a bit boring, but the plot was good enough and had some very badass moments to make the film memorable. ...Then The Last Jedi shows up... and it all goes downhill from there.

tylerblack
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 06:51:39 AM »

i think that whether you think the sequel are good or bad, you should still be able to watch the movies and enjoy them.  I was a big hater on the sequels when the force awakens came out and even more when the last jedi came out.  but even through my hatred for thses movies i couldnt help but love certain parts of the movie.  such as when snoke gets cut in half and is completely taken by surprise, he literally thought there was no way kylo ren could betray him.  the way kylo bests snoke in my opinion is some of the smartest lightsaber dueling ive seen.  and the way kylo pulls the lightsaber towards himself and rey catches it as music starts playing is a beautiful shot. sure, maybe a scene like this wouldve fit more in the third film of the trilogy and sure it wouldve been cool seeing a backstory for snoke and all before his death. this is just one of the multiple moments that just remind me why i love star wars.  honestly im surprised any movie is good let alone a star wars one.  from screenplay, to screenwriters, to directors, to producers, to studios, i am seriously shocked that a movie can go through so many requirements and people to somehow comeout and be good.  Now when making a star wars movie its a little different. these are movies people grew up with, have spent their life watching, and some maybe even worshipping it.  all those fans have very high expectations and i know i did.  the expectations are almost impossible to reach and u have to take into consideration how every movie just cant be all fan service.  we can complain and not like the new films all we want but in the end its all cannon and its all star wars.  thinking about all that im not afraid i love watching the sequels now. because its star wars and i love watching star wars.

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 07:05:18 PM »

Gave you a point. I agree, there are good moments and fun movies to watch overall. I don’t agree with a good deal of what they’ve done with most of the less than adequately developed characters. Unfortunately, this isn’t just a Star Wars phenomenon...it’s movie making in general in most cases. In the end, we take the good with the bad, but I don’t believe this is going to change any time soon. We can hope for better things in the TV and animated series, which has more time to develop characters.

Looking forward to The Clone Wars season 7, BTW. Just bought the other seasons because I wasn’t able to get through all of them beforE Netflix lost the rights. And I still have Rebels to get through. I hear a third animated series is being developed where Rebels left off. Love these shows so far.

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2784

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 12:45:04 PM »

I like them all, myself. Even though episode 7 is my least favorite, I love it cinematically

DarthRegol
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -8

Balance Should be Key over control

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 10:22:27 PM »

Even if I don't enjoy the story, characters, or acting...It is still star wars, and that is what I love.  I am not a huge fan of the new movies, but they are not my choice, so I therefore suck it up and find things enjoyable about it.  If there is one thing I am not okay with at all, it is the decanonization of the EU...c'mon disney...a lot of that material was well though out and good, and now it is technically just published fan fictions designated as Legends...why the decanonization? Other than that, I don't have too much of a built up rage against disney

"Two there should be. No more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it" -Darth Bane

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 04:05:47 AM »

For me the sequel trilogy falls into an Elseworlds category. For those who don’t know that was the name for a line of comicbooks at DC Comics that was made of alternate universe stories and what-if type scenarios ranging from what if Batman lived in the time of Jack The Ripper to dark future stories like Kingdom Come.

Kingdom Come is a story I actually very much enjoy but if DC announced tomorrow that it was official canon for how the lives of Superman and the rest of the Justice League ultimately turned out I would be extremely disappointed. Kind of similar situation to the sequel trilogy where Superman exiles himself after the death of Lois and the rise of anti-heroes who kill first and ask questions never and then is called upon to return. In context of the story being told it kind makes sense even though the character I know and love would not quit. But since it’s an Elseworlds story I can roll with it.

..and that’s what I feel like about the sequel trilogy. As a thing sort of unto itself I can get into it but as anything that’s meant to be an actual extension of the OT, that this is actually what happened to Luke Skywalker after Return Of The Jedi I don’t enjoy that because it doesn’t really feel natural to it at all.

It’s kind of the case with a lot of stuff right now for me. A work based on a long running story, myth, lore, franchise, universe, whatever you want to call it where it’s Elseworlds at best and expensive fanfic at worst. Star Trek being another example. I can find things to enjoy in them, or there’ll be moments that work or ideas that are kind of cool, but they just don’t really feel at all like natural extensions of this time honored thing. I don’t think it’s simple as old stuff vs. modern either.  

It’s like they want to use the brand and the lore, mine it, but they don’t want to play by any of the rules. Kinda like showing up to a basketball game with a tennis racket and wondering why everyone’s looking at you like you’re being a jerk. It’s not that anybody is against tennis, it’s just not the game people came to play.

aaronle1989
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 09:15:46 AM »

I grew up on the OS which are to me perfect and i fell in love with star wars and was about 10ish when the prequels came out and i loved them all but Clone wars was my least fav film out of the 6 and as i got older i started to dislike the 1st 60min of the Phantom M, but the duel with maul with duel of the fates just stuck with me for years. ROTS came out and is personally my fav film of the 3 i loved seeing the fall of the jedi and the birth of Vader plus the fight between Ani and Obi wan for me the best lightsabar battle on film.
See i can pick so many moments that i love from all 6 films but the unfortunate reality is i cant think of a single one from the Disney ST.....   

Like many ppl i came away after watching the Force awakens with excitement all the possibility the ST could go (who is snoke, will ray go dark, how can kylo ever be redeemed how can he after killing Han,wheres Luke?,ect) I didn't think the film was anything special i knew it played on our nostalgia and i was ok with that as it could have set up so much, Then Rouge One came out which to this day is my Fave of the Disney era it gave us a different gritty SW and i enjoyed it again is the film a cinematic masterpiece...no, but it did what it set out to do and also gave us the best moment of seeing a badass Vader being well...Vader which is my personally highlight moment of the Disney era.

Then the last Jedi came out.... i've never came out of a film feeling so sick in the stomach, confused and hurt im not gonna go into it otherwise this post would be an endless rant...lets just say i hate that film with a passion. and ive never felt that way ever about SW.

TROS.... was well meh a decent film by its self and i dare say the best JJ could have done after the train wreck that was TLJ i mean i was thinking for months how the hell they could possibly salvage this and without being to critical i guess it was the best i could hope for although i hate Sidious lasted all but 5secs....

TLJ and TROS suffered from bad handling from having no concrete trilogy arch i mean you can tell they where utterly winging this trilogy aswell as studio interference and the whole female representation which seemed more important to Disney then any sort of story or lore building.   
I also want to cry inside from the way they handled Luke my childhood hero.....because to me that was not luke. I could say the same for all the OS characters that came back they where used to pull us all back instead of being giving them the respect and send off we as fans were all hoping to see.

Theres been some highs outside the movies like rebels, the mandalorian and the return of the clone wars so its not all bad and im really excited at the possibility of an Old republic trilogy or Disneys own trilogy further down or further back down the timeline but 1st and foremost i just want a great story good characters and a decent lightsaber battle i mean come on 3 films and no decent duels that stand out the kylo/ray fight in Ep7 being my fav from the ST and also to keep the internal representation drama out of any future films....which doesnt look like happening any time soon.

Overall the ST left me feeling really unsatisfied and at the lowest point ive ever felt with SW which was a new feeling in itself even my 6 year old daughter when she swings her saber wants to be just like Luke! (although 90% of the time she's a sith dark lord lol) and i believe there's a reason for that because those films are timeless and will last forever!

Sorry if ive been to negative with this i dont mean to truth is i love SW its my fav thing like ever for as long as i can remember i just haven't enjoyed it wholly since TLJ but im hoping Disney will at least learn from some of the mistakes and give us better films soon!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 04:15:45 PM »

Im one of the few people here that will actively defend TLJ. Now I wont say its a perfect movie, hell it isnt even great, but I do think it catches a lot of undeserved flak. TROS was a mess - a fun mess that I did enjoy - but a mess. I def tend to watch SW more for the characters than plot, which is why I dont have a stellar opinion of R1.

But I do want to ask because its not talked about often here, how do people feel about Solo? Personally I think its one of the best movies in a vacuum, it stands on its own two legs really well.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 07:23:01 PM »

Im one of the few people here that will actively defend TLJ. Now I wont say its a perfect movie, hell it isnt even great, but I do think it catches a lot of undeserved flak. TROS was a mess - a fun mess that I did enjoy - but a mess. I def tend to watch SW more for the characters than plot, which is why I dont have a stellar opinion of R1.

But I do want to ask because its not talked about often here, how do people feel about Solo? Personally I think its one of the best movies in a vacuum, it stands on its own two legs really well.

For me, Solo and R! are ok films that were a waste of time and money.  Neither of those stories needed to be told and would have been better suited for novels.   But if I may ask...what do you consider Undeserved Flak?

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 07:47:50 PM »

For me, Solo and R! are ok films that were a waste of time and money.  Neither of those stories needed to be told and would have been better suited for novels.   But if I may ask...what do you consider Undeserved Flak?

I'm aware there's some disagreement and you and I have talked about this well in my TLJ thoughts thread but to name a few

-I think Luke's character was excellently done and vastly prefer this version of Luke to the book version (very unpopular opinion I am aware)
-I think that Snoke was irrelevant and using Snoke to further Kylo's development was a better decision
-Kylo and Rey's back and forth was great imo
-I *liked* the idea of Rey being a nobody and is one of my small disappointments with TROS
-I thought Luke's confrontation with Kylo at the end was damn near perfect and exactly how a jedi should operate.
-Its the best-shot and most aesthetically pleasing film of the whole franchise and will fight people on that
-The space battle segments were reminiscent of WWI combat which is interesting because the space combat in SW usually mimics aerial battles of WWII/vietnam

I just generally *like* the movie

Malreyn
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 05:02:40 AM »

OP probably wasn’t looking for *terribly* lengthy responses. Maybe it’s just a question coming from finally finishing the trilogy and OP arriving to their conclusive thoughts on it. Anyway, I do have lots of thoughts about it and my long post is actually attempting to get out some thoughts while also trying to keep it somewhat... brief. I could talk these movies or any number of random Star Wars topic for days. Whatever we think of the movies, we’re a happy saber family.

The TL;DR version of the following is: I don’t like ‘em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malreyn
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 05:03:12 AM »

I don’t want to get too deep into my opinions and don’t seek to have any arguments, but US is lightsabers and lightsabers are Star Wars and Star Wars is first and foremost the movies and I do like discussing, as well as reading other people’s opinions on them, so I’ll bite. It may go long, but hopefully acceptably so. There’s some other long posts here.
I’ve loved Star Wars my whole life. I’m finally awaiting my First Order <cough> of grownup lightsabers. I have to admit, though, that I don’t love everything about Star Wars. That doesn’t start or end with Disney.
But... there’s not a lot that Disney’s put out that I’ve been thrilled with. At least in cinemas. I’ve liked a bunch of the stuff they’ve put out or allowed to be produced outside of the movies, but the question is the movies, so I’ll keep to that. Really, though, I think they made a big purchase and big promises without ever having a concrete idea of what to do with it and still seem to be fumbling through making it up as they go along. I’m not claiming that I have the skill sets to do better, but I don’t think they’ve been very smart with it as a business or a story.
As for the movies, specifically, I haven’t really loved any of the Disney era stuff. Actually, I’ve unfortunately disliked most of it. I feel that they’ve definitely put the wrong people and creators in charge of them. I feel it’s much easier to argue this than against it. Whatever the end results (and there are certainly those who are happy with the end results, myself not among them), it’s pretty public knowledge how many production troubles, false starts, and mid production replacements there’s been. So, I don’t feel it’s easy to argue they all knew what they were doing or were on the same page going in. On top of that, the situations were exasperated by tight deadlines mandated by the guy at the top. But production troubles aren’t definitively indicative of a poor end result. The BTS stories of some of the greatest movies of all time are pretty crazy. And, the arguably most decisive DSW movie seemingly had few public production troubles.
Enough preamble, what do I think of the DSW movies?
TFA had a lot of problems. It probably should’ve thrown up more flags for me than it did, but I also acknowledged all the problems it had and that it was built in a way that any lasting quality very much depended on how it was followed up. It’s not a movie that stands on its own. But I did think it did what it set out to do and presented some set up and characters that could be interesting if expanded on.
TLJ is a movie that I find to be a complete misfire from top to bottom and I can’t understand how any single scene from it got approved. Certainly, part of that is how I personally feel, but I also just don’t think the story or the characters or the creative design or the dialogue or the story setups make sense. There are some interesting ideas and I do think it’s a mostly good looking film. But I find it insulting in how bad the story is, how many mistakes it makes, how many inconsistencies it presents, how many setups it ejects.
TROS is a movie that feels like it’s doing everything it knows how to in order to salvage a story that was never on the rails to begin with. And it does it poorly. It’s full of shallow nostalgia, too-little-too-late desperation to do setups that need immediate payoffs, apologizing for both previous movies, story and editing suffering from ADHD, constant bait-and-switches and ass-pulls. It’s basically an embarrassment.
R1 is the movie that I want to like the most. Maybe I even do? I just can’t bring myself to actually like it. I can’t get through watching it. I can’t connect to any of the characters. As a stand-alone movie I might like the story, but I just don’t feel like it’s consistent enough with the rest to work. I think some of my problems with it are probably minor but I can’t get past them. It also feels very choppy to me. It feels like a Frankenstein movie that was put together by forcing puzzle pieces into spots they don’t belong in. I want to like it, but I feel like everyone in it is dumb. The Vader scene is pretty cool but feels tacked on to me.
So... I think I might actually like Solo the best at this point. It’s not great. It’s very spoon feeding. It’s confusing at times to know what they’re going for, which is probably a couple conflicting things changed midway by the change in direction. It’s dumb and awkward and unnecessary. But, I somehow find a way to enjoy it where I don’t really enjoy the others. Honestly, idk what Lord and Miller had planned, but I was kinda hoping for a full blown comedy for this movie that no one needed about Space Smokey & the Bandit. After the previous movies, it would have been a different way to go and possibly something other than just “fine, I guess.” And while I think movies grouped together in a continuous story telling The Palpatine Saga should have a fairly consistent tone - as far as I’m concerned - with solo or Solo stories, anything goes. But, it was fine, I guess.
To end on a positive note, I think they all *look* cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malreyn
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 05:14:35 AM »

I said what I thought above, but I sort of agree with you. It works fine on its own more than the others, but I don’t think it’s either stand out or offensive enough for many people to really go on about. And it’s not a Saga movie. It suffers from a case of “...and then this, and then this, you remember this? Here’s a question you didn’t need answered!” But is mostly just... “fine, I guess.”

Malreyn
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 06:35:00 AM »

-I think Luke's character was excellently done and vastly prefer this version of Luke to the book version (very unpopular opinion I am aware)
-I think that Snoke was irrelevant and using Snoke to further Kylo's development was a better decision
-Kylo and Rey's back and forth was great imo
-I *liked* the idea of Rey being a nobody and is one of my small disappointments with TROS
-I thought Luke's confrontation with Kylo at the end was damn near perfect and exactly how a jedi should operate.
-Its the best-shot and most aesthetically pleasing film of the whole franchise and will fight people on that
-The space battle segments were reminiscent of WWI combat which is interesting because the space combat in SW usually mimics aerial battles of WWII/vietnam

I just generally *like* the movie

This wasn’t directed to me, but I hope it’s okay if I respond.

- I don’t *like* Luke’s character in TLJ and it caused my daughter to really not like him anymore after being her favorite hero up to that point. But I do think Mark owned the role. As much as I don’t like what they did with him, he was probably still my favorite part of the movie and the most well thought out and explored part of the movie, though IMO still not that well thought out or explored.
- Snoke is only irrelevant if the writer makes him irrelevant. And even though the writer made him irrelevant, it didn’t jive with what we’d already been told about him (though, admittedly little and mostly outside of the movies). He could easily have been much more interesting and useful, especially in service to strengthening Kylo, who I feel was inconsistent and directionless throughout the trilogy. Snoke’s very existence presented big questions for the world building of the ST, of which none of the ST provided much of.
- Kylo and Rey’s interactions were interesting and could have been great but largely weakened Rey as a character IMO.
- Rey being a nobody is fine, but nothing in the scene made me believe that would be the final word on it. I don’t think I’d say I liked it, but I wish they’d just left it at that. Actually, I wish they’d dropped it after TFA. Or not addressed it at all. It’s just this thing that annoyingly got dragged across the trilogy to end with possibly the least satisfying conclusion, IMO.
- I don’t hate Luke’s final confrontation and death nearly as much as a lot of TLJ haters. I don’t think it’s all that good, but it’s the best part of a very poor third act.
- I think I’d nearly agree on the visuals, though I’d say second best, after ESB.
- I’m not sure I understand why being reminiscent of WWI instead of WWII is a point on the list.

It’s cool you like it. I wish I did. There’s a lot that I just don’t like, but there’s also a lot that I feel like I could like if it were just a bit... different. I also feel like I could get more onboard with Luke if his story was a bit more convincing. Finally, for being the longest SW, I feel like there’s plenty that could be cut down, while I think that some of the scenes that were cut are important to be included to go towards making it a better and whole story.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 02:11:25 PM »

This wasn’t directed to me, but I hope it’s okay if I respond.

- I don’t *like* Luke’s character in TLJ and it caused my daughter to really not like him anymore after being her favorite hero up to that point. But I do think Mark owned the role. As much as I don’t like what they did with him, he was probably still my favorite part of the movie and the most well thought out and explored part of the movie, though IMO still not that well thought out or explored.
- Snoke is only irrelevant if the writer makes him irrelevant. And even though the writer made him irrelevant, it didn’t jive with what we’d already been told about him (though, admittedly little and mostly outside of the movies). He could easily have been much more interesting and useful, especially in service to strengthening Kylo, who I feel was inconsistent and directionless throughout the trilogy. Snoke’s very existence presented big questions for the world building of the ST, of which none of the ST provided much of.
- Kylo and Rey’s interactions were interesting and could have been great but largely weakened Rey as a character IMO.
- Rey being a nobody is fine, but nothing in the scene made me believe that would be the final word on it. I don’t think I’d say I liked it, but I wish they’d just left it at that. Actually, I wish they’d dropped it after TFA. Or not addressed it at all. It’s just this thing that annoyingly got dragged across the trilogy to end with possibly the least satisfying conclusion, IMO.
- I don’t hate Luke’s final confrontation and death nearly as much as a lot of TLJ haters. I don’t think it’s all that good, but it’s the best part of a very poor third act.
- I think I’d nearly agree on the visuals, though I’d say second best, after ESB.
- I’m not sure I understand why being reminiscent of WWI instead of WWII is a point on the list.

It’s cool you like it. I wish I did. There’s a lot that I just don’t like, but there’s also a lot that I feel like I could like if it were just a bit... different. I also feel like I could get more onboard with Luke if his story was a bit more convincing. Finally, for being the longest SW, I feel like there’s plenty that could be cut down, while I think that some of the scenes that were cut are important to be included to go towards making it a better and whole story.

Of course its okay! Discourse is fun Smiley

I know my opinions on TLJ arent the most popular and if you want a little better insight to them, I've laid them out in my "Thoughts on TLJ" thread in the Star Wars section of the forum. The only point I wanted to further discuss here is the space battles. I know a lot of people disliked them because the bombers "drop" bombs in space, appeared extremely weak, and the sequences felt sluggish. For me, space battles in Star Wars are about establishing a tone and making a spectacle, not about hard sci-fi consistency. The battles in ROTJ and TPM are similarly inconsistent and want to establish the theme more than be realistic, and I dont know why TLJ's space sequences get picked on for realism. The reason i bring up WWI is in terms of aerial war it was a different animal; namely much more dangerous for the pilots, with the aircraft being very fragile and flammable. and the capital ship chase was clearly meant to evoke a similar feeling of WWI/WWII naval war, and these themes arent normally used in SW space battles, which caught my attention in a good way. Sorry if this is rambly/a bad explanation, Im typing this out while I can for the moment, can elaborate more later when I have a bit more time.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: