Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Star Wars: The High Republic  (Read 4533 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« on: February 26, 2020, 03:23:42 AM »

So this past weekend Lucasfilm unveiled a new "Saga" within the Star Wars Universe titled "The High Republic".    Taking place 200 years before The Phantom Menace the storyline will tell new stories across Novels (Adult, YA and Children's) and comics with some reports of a Video Game as well.  Nothing on if a film is planned for this era.  The Jedi at this time are described as Knights of the Round Table (ie Knight Errants) and or Texas Rangers. Perhaps taking a much more active role in protecting the Galaxy..speculation on my part.   The Villains ...The Nihil (hmmm sounds familiar) are describes as "Space Vikings"   Roll Eyes

So....Thoughts.  I already know what some of you might say....... Me?  I'll give it a shot but I hold little hope.  200 years isn't that long of a time really.   Just as I felt with the sequel trilogy it should be far enough away from the Main Saga that it has little connection.  Thousands.  The PT made it seem as if the Jedi had not really changed in more than just 200 years...hell I wonder if these geniuses will remember Yoda would be there.  So while I am looking forward to the new character and saber designs we may get...I'm not expecting much from the plot.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 10:36:30 PM »

Interesting for sure. I agree 200 years is a bit short, 400-500 would be more appropriate to fit in with the idea of a stagnant decaying republic and the Jedi order we see in the Prequels.  In addition in the prequels it is stated there hasn't been a war since the foundation of the latest iteration of the republic, its not a big deal though, but still more distance makes more sense, 200 years is also easily within Yoda's life as you mentioned so presumably he's around as at least a Master if not Council member....so I can see the conflict of canon, but possible potential, Yoda may be one of a group of Jedi who are responsible for the orthodox turn in the Jedi by the Prequels.

Sounds like they are taking some cues from the EU New Sith Wars (Lord Hoth, Farfalla etc. who had more of a Knight of the Round table vibe).

But real none of these particularly matter if they can make some solid story lines, maybe more Knight Quest type things and a new non-sith enemy could bring freshness, the Space viking concept also sounds like it Could borrow a bit from EU Mandalorians and their Crusades of conquest which run the line of viking and Crusader.

I think the plot has a lot of potential, much like the Mandalorian series, If it were me I'd do it in a fringe way though - make the action outside the centre of the Republic perhaps Jedi knights who aren't quite Temple approved protecting a region of space from these Nihil as that might avoid New canon conflicts, but doesn't matter if they do conflict.

I hope it goes well, the Mandalorian has certainly proved new non-Skywalker saga things can be done very well, and I also hope it borrows the best from the old EU as there is much good (a lot of junk too) that should be kept even if in a different form.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 10:37:22 PM »

Interesting for sure. I agree 200 years is a bit short, 400-500 would be more appropriate to fit in with the idea of a stagnant decaying republic and the Jedi order we see in the Prequels.  In addition in the prequels it is stated there hasn't been a war since the foundation of the latest iteration of the republic, its not a big deal though, but still more distance makes more sense, 200 years is also easily within Yoda's life time so presumably he's around as at least a Master if not Council member....

Sounds like they are taking some cues from the EU New Sith Wars (Lord Hoth, Farfalla etc. who had more of a Knight of the Round table vibe).

But really none of these particularly matter if they can make some solid story lines, maybe more Knight Quest type things and a new non-sith enemy could bring freshness, the Space viking concept also sounds like it Could borrow a bit from EU Mandalorians and their Crusades of conquest which run the line of viking and Crusader.

I think the plot has a lot of potential, much like the Mandalorian series, If it were me I'd do it in a fringe way though - make the action outside the centre of the Republic perhaps Jedi knights who aren't quite Temple approved protecting a region of space from these Nihil as that might avoid New canon conflicts, but doesn't matter if they do conflict.

I hope it goes well, the Mandalorian has certainly proved new non-Skywalker saga things can be done very well, and I also hope it borrows the best from the old EU as there is much good (a lot of junk too) that should be kept even if in a different form.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

phantom1592
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 15

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 09:36:59 AM »

Sounds cool.  I'd like to see some star wars that has a little breathing room without being bogged down with Vader, Skywalkers, and the blasted clone wars...   

give us some heroes and villains that we don't know the end of... this could be a breath of fresh air.  Or it could suck... I'll hold out hope. Wink

Light Side all the way Cheesy

Ordered 2/8/20:

*Azure Fallen: Obsidian v4, Guardian Blue, Flash Silver, Recharge port, Blue illuminated AVswitch
*Mystery Box
*Free Initiate

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 02:18:13 PM »

I really don't get this disdain for the Skywalkers all of a sudden.... yes there were many stories in the old EU about other characters and times but the Skywalkers were the nexus.  Star Wars was created to tell the story of the Skywalkers.   While I don't mind other stories..I still would have rather it be set much further in the past.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 08:42:17 PM »

So as of right now, I'm glad we are leaving the Galactic Republic, Galactic Civil War, and New Republic eras. Those are great, and I will always love them, but I'm excited to see what the galaxy was like before Yoda was Grand Master. There are definitely some things about this that intrigue me namely the "Jedi Knights of the Round Table" idea, seeing as the Arthurian Legends are some of my favorite stories of all time.

However, I already have some issues that I am seeing. With the officially released cover art, there are already 3 (I think) new characters with purple sabers. I love purple sabers, and always will, but they are rare. Far more rare than they are seeming to be within these five new stories being told. I have also seen some art that I don't know if it is official or fan made, but it had a black saber. I don't like that at all. The only black lightsaber ever made is the Dark Saber. At least as far as I know from watching all Star Wars, and doing my research. Don't change that. It is like that for a reason. The black blade set it apart, seeing as it belonged to the first Mandalorian ever to be inducted into the Jedi order. If there are more, than it is no longer a unique symbol of the Mandalorians.

Third and finally, I am liking the idea of the Nihil. As long as they either have nothing to do with Nihilus, or are Nihilus worshipers/fanatics, and not actually run by Darth Nihilus. Things from the time of the Old Republic need to stay thousands of years BBY. Yoda was not alive for them, and the Rule of Two was instituted long before Yoda was even born, and that IS within canon. So as long as they keep the timelines in order, I'm completely down for this new time period.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord Vaalic
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 10:15:15 PM »

I do hope we get a saber like the one in front, I have wanted a cross guard one handed saber for a long time. All the ones available are like huge Claymore types.

Ill echo everyone else here about the story, I wish it was much earlier or later. Its time for new characters and story lines. This could be good, but most established canon says that 200 years before TPM the Jedi Order was pretty much the same as we have seen. Would Chewie be alive? A young Wookie? Yoda as has been mentioned, and maybe other long lived characters would still be around for this. This isn't far enough away in time to be very different from the Republic that we know already.

There is no light side, there is no dark side. There is only the force. Jedi and Sith are two sides of the same coin. One paralyzed by fear of emotion, and one ruled and destroyed by it.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1558

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 11:48:26 PM »

I do hope we get a saber like the one in front, I have wanted a cross guard one handed saber for a long time. All the ones available are like huge Claymore types.

Would Chewie be alive? A young Wookie?

Hello Lord Vaalic, for a nice crossguard design you should check out PsychoSith's Return of the Saber Doodles thread in the FanArt/Fiction Section he has a neat one named the Beskar Breaker (his is a Zweihander double handed hilt) and I have a 3D model of that hilt in my Blender 3D Concepts thread.

And regards Chewie, I think he might not have been born yet (just). Chewie was 190 years old 10 years before Battle of Yavin (He tells Han he is 190 in Solo)
I think I worked that out right.

phantom1592
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 11:58:31 PM »

I really don't get this disdain for the Skywalkers all of a sudden.... yes there were many stories in the old EU about other characters and times but the Skywalkers were the nexus.  Star Wars was created to tell the story of the Skywalkers.   While I don't mind other stories..I still would have rather it be set much further in the past.

I'll agree and go a step farther. Star Wars was always the story about LUKE Skywalker. He was the big time hero who killed the death star and saved the rebellion and defeated Vader and became the rebirth of the Jedi Order....   The Prequels put too much focus on Anakin and completely diminished Luke by having better special effects/stunt work... virgin births... Chosen ones... and everything else that made Vader WAAAAAY more importnat than Luke.... then the Sequel Trilogy tarnished the legacy of Luke... Seriously The OT had Anakin as a Jedi knight who was seduced by the dark side... That was good enough. They didn't need to make him the most important Chosen being that ever existed to still be awesome.

So honestly, I'm content to live with my memories and move on to a NEW story. Something that preferablly doesn't tarnish the stuff I like... and doesn't interfere with stuff that other people like... there are SOOOOOO many potential stories out there I'm happy if we just leave the Skywalkers where they were. Personally I would have preferred 400 years back...  Just to give us the option of a spry young Yoda Padawan.... I have a feeling that if Yoda shows up only 200 years ago he'll still be an old man. MAYBE he won't need the cane, but the rest would be pretty similar.

Alternatively.... I would also love to see some post Return of the Jedi adventures. Luke, Han and Leia running around on adventures in animated form would be awesome. Something that takes place in the 5 years between Endor and the Thrawn Trilogy should be pretty open with them fighting the remnents of the empire.. I would love that. But it seems pretty unlikely. So whole new era works for me.

Ordered 2/8/20:

*Azure Fallen: Obsidian v4, Guardian Blue, Flash Silver, Recharge port, Blue illuminated AVswitch
*Mystery Box
*Free Initiate

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 05:48:36 AM »

Why are they so afraid of giving us a time set when the Sith were legion and their were titanic battles with Lightsabers.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 07:04:04 AM »

Why are they so afraid of giving us a time set when the Sith were legion and their were titanic battles with Lightsabers.

I kind of get the feeling that they are afraid to say that there is "true evil" in the galaxy. I'll leave it at that (don't want to accidentally get into religion or politics).

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 07:40:33 AM »

I kind of get the feeling that they are afraid to say that there is "true evil" in the galaxy. I'll leave it at that (don't want to accidentally get into religion or politics).

I could see that....stupid.  Star Wars is the very epitome of showing its our choices that lead to good or evil.  Everyone..religious or not can (or should) agree with that.

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 03:35:45 PM »

A few thoughts:

Star Wars was never a perfect story for film. Even in making the first trilogy, Lucas said it was a gigantic story which he decided to start in the middle, a place he felt would be the most interesting in hopes of capturing an audience. He was right, and it did.

It was a generational tale which began with Anakin, his children, and what most of us assumed would be his children’s children—or at the very least, a passing of the torch to a new generation which would clean up the mess left behind in the aftermath as the force struggled for balance after teetering between dark and light for what was assumed to be centuries, possibly since the dawn of existence in this galaxy far, far away.

Anakin was symbolic of that ancient struggle and fulfilled both roles, finally coming full circle, but never really bringing about balance. What he did was break the chain, created a void, which left both sides were left scrambling to fill. Certainly, he created an opportunity, but that aftermath was a mess he created as the Emperor's hand, without whom, would not have been possible. It was all about Anakin.

The sequels were supposed to have cleaned up that mess, and would have (should have) been a natural progression to shifting the force from a time of great darkness, to a time of great light. This story was never resolved in a satisfactory way. There was no shift. The mess remains just as it was prior to the sequels. The torch was passed, but onto a disconnected group of characters with more connection to the dark side than the light (or the Skywalker), who are essentially struggling to find themselves while hoping to understand what it is they need to do.

Cut to The High Republic. Yes, Yoda would be alive. The idea of the Jedi being like the knights of the round table could be very interesting. But 200 years...this is a time when the Jedi are at the doorway of what lead to the council in the prequels...which were a tainted version of themselves, duped by the Republic, essentially did their work for them while struggling to find an enemy right under their noses. The dark side was on the rise and had already gained such power as to blind their vision and keep them fighting a hopeless battle.

So that timeframe of 200 years ago, much like the knights of Camelot, is a search for Utopia while engaging in battles which will ultimately just give energy to the dark side of the force and create opposition. We know it’s a time of growing darkness which gives birth to the legend of a “Chosen One” who will come and save them.

So essentially, we are back in the territory of prequels once again, but just far enough away from the Star Wars we all know so Disney can do their thing without actually having connections to a story they had little understanding, or regard for. Will they find their way and create something good? It’s possible. But as I said in the beginning, Star Wars was not a perfect story for film. It would be better suited as an ongoing series that had room to flesh things out better, like the animated series, or The Mandalorian. So my feeling is we will have a potentially grand adventure, form fitted into a blockbuster film formula, and will never get as depthy, or complete, as any of us might envision. It will be what Disney does best...knights and fairies vs. ogres and pirates.

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 03:39:02 PM »

I'm excited (who's shocked  Roll Eyes ) but i've been looking to get back into reading more and this might provide me a springboard. This def does seem like theyre trying to do something completely different - though I agree I'd have liked a little further timeline seperation.

phantom1592
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 11:35:17 PM »

[quote author=StoryDtechtive link=topic=44314.msg753040#msg753040 date=

Cut to The High Republic. Yes, Yoda would be alive. The idea of the Jedi being like the knights of the round table could be very interesting. But 200 years...this is a time when the Jedi are at the doorway of what lead to the council in the prequels...which were a tainted version of themselves, duped by the Republic, essentially did their work for them while struggling to find an enemy right under their noses. The dark side was on the rise and had already gained such power as to blind their vision and keep them fighting a hopeless battle.

So that timeframe of 200 years ago, much like the knights of Camelot, is a search for Utopia while engaging in battles which will ultimately just give energy to the dark side of the force and create opposition. We know it’s a time of growing darkness which gives birth to the legend of a “Chosen One” who will come and save them.
[/quote]

I'll admit I don't know much about the prequel alien lifespans. Wookies are long lived... Yoda is naturally ancient... but the rest? I don't know. If they are anything 'close' to human life spans... 200 years CAN be a long time. A LOT can happen in that time frame.

For context... It's like saying we don't want a story dealing with the Revolutionary war... because we know how America turns out....     LOTS of story that can be played with. Now if Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin were still sitting on capital hill directing things, then change may be a bit slow... but who knows what stories can be told Wink

I hope they at least embrace 'the past' in ways that the prequels didn't. Technology and ideas should be 'older' then the current years. More like Star Trek Enterprise than Discovery.

Ordered 2/8/20:

*Mystery Box
*Free Initiate

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: