Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: The Jedi may have asked for it....  (Read 8256 times)
DarthRegol
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -8

Balance Should be Key over control

« on: March 12, 2020, 06:49:17 PM »

So more of an opinion chat here, but upon reading the novelization of ROTS, I began to see that the council was a lot more aggressive and demeaning of Anakin than they were in the movies, along with the fact that some of the chapters involve discussions of the jedi actually suggesting that they take over the republic to protect it from corruption, and though their intentions may have been good, it was difficult to feel bad for all of them at order 66...any thoughts?

"Two there should be. No more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it" -Darth Bane

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 12:06:10 AM »

So more of an opinion chat here, but upon reading the novelization of ROTS, I began to see that the council was a lot more aggressive and demeaning of Anakin than they were in the movies, along with the fact that some of the chapters involve discussions of the jedi actually suggesting that they take over the republic to protect it from corruption, and though their intentions may have been good, it was difficult to feel bad for all of them at order 66...any thoughts?

The Consensus (Even Luke says so) is that the Jedi shot themselves in the foot. Did they deserve to be nearly wiped out...no.  But their hubris and actions lead to their own demise. Especially the council's treatment of Anakin.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 01:52:02 AM »

The Jedi of the prequels are a prime example of "Pride comes before a fall".  The same thing holds true for the Empire and the First Order.  Just another life lesson you can learn from Star Wars.

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 04:28:09 AM »

An in-depth analysis of the Jedi Order as the supposed "good guys" of Star Wars is really a fascinating one. A cursory viewing of the Prequels tends to give you the overall theme but really the more you look into it, the more it becomes super obvious that they really aren't the pillars of enlightenment and justice that we tend to associate them with. The Clone Wars series really had the time to flesh that out, to pull out an example, especially around the episodes that dealt with Anakin's brush with his past of slavery. I mean it's a practice that is banned in the Republic and yet whole planets and cartels are involved in it, meanwhile the Jedi sit in their tall towers and debate pointlessly. It just goes to highlight how the Order's traditions and norms grew to a point where few dared to point out how damaging they were (looking at you Qui-gon Jinn). It makes them MUCH more interesting characters though, in my opinion, and Star Wars is all the better because of it.

Interestingly, looking at the Darth Bane trilogy, one could argue that the Sith had betrayed their very nature as well... fascinating.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 01:39:12 PM »

The Consensus (Even Luke says so) is that the Jedi shot themselves in the foot. Did they deserve to be nearly wiped out...no.  But their hubris and actions lead to their own demise. Especially the council's treatment of Anakin.
Perhaps that was a smaller note of the Grand Plan coupled with the Rule of Two. The severely diminished number of Sith gave rise to the myth that the Sith were extinct, allowing the Jedi to grow arrogant that they were unchallenged in the galaxy, and that they were the ultimate good.

An in-depth analysis of the Jedi Order as the supposed "good guys" of Star Wars is really a fascinating one. A cursory viewing of the Prequels tends to give you the overall theme but really the more you look into it, the more it becomes super obvious that they really aren't the pillars of enlightenment and justice that we tend to associate them with. The Clone Wars series really had the time to flesh that out, to pull out an example, especially around the episodes that dealt with Anakin's brush with his past of slavery. I mean it's a practice that is banned in the Republic and yet whole planets and cartels are involved in it, meanwhile the Jedi sit in their tall towers and debate pointlessly. It just goes to highlight how the Order's traditions and norms grew to a point where few dared to point out how damaging they were (looking at you Qui-gon Jinn). It makes them MUCH more interesting characters though, in my opinion, and Star Wars is all the better because of it.
I just finished the arc of Obi Wan going under cover. Along with several other arcs, the series is actually doing an exceptionally subtle and well executed show of the Jedi falling apart due to the war. Anger, fear, deception, and aggression are all coming out. For all my griping of the Filoni-ous shark jumps in TCW, this is actually being surprisingly well done.

Interestingly, looking at the Darth Bane trilogy, one could argue that the Sith had betrayed their very nature as well... fascinating.
You are referring to the Brotherhood of Darkness?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 03:09:13 PM »

I just finished the arc of Obi Wan going under cover. Along with several other arcs, the series is actually doing an exceptionally subtle and well executed show of the Jedi falling apart due to the war. Anger, fear, deception, and aggression are all coming out. For all my griping of the Filoni-ous shark jumps in TCW, this is actually being surprisingly well done.

You are referring to the Brotherhood of Darkness?

You mean the Kenobi novel? I've got that in my bookshelf but haven't gotten to it yet, sounds cool. And yeah I was referring to the Brotherhood. It isn't a perfect comparison because Sith tradition was a bit open to interpretation at times, but like I said, just goes to make the franchise better. The quote by Bane reminded me of it:

"Kaan was a traitor. He led the Brotherhood away from the teachings of the ancient Sith. He turned his back on the very essence of the dark side."
―Darth Bane

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 06:20:07 PM »

That Arc was one of the best at also showing Anakin's rage building.  For me, other than Ahsoka, that was the best part of TCW.  Fleshing out Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship and showing Anakin's descent.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 07:06:42 PM »

You mean the Kenobi novel? I've got that in my bookshelf but haven't gotten to it yet, sounds cool.
No, the arc in TCW where the Jedi set up an assassin for Obi Wan's murder, and then he takes his place in order to infiltrate a Separatist plot to kidnap the chancellor.

And yeah I was referring to the Brotherhood. It isn't a perfect comparison because Sith tradition was a bit open to interpretation at times, but like I said, just goes to make the franchise better. The quote by Bane reminded me of it:

"Khan was a traitor. He led the Brotherhood away from the teachings of the ancient Sith. He turned his back on the very essence of the dark side."
―Darth Bane
Yes the Brotherhood was basically nothing more than a Dark Jedi Order. They were soft. I loved how he described why they no longer used the title 'Darth'; they were afraid of it.

That Arc was one of the best at also showing Anakin's rage building.  For me, other than Ahsoka, that was the best part of TCW.  Fleshing out Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship and showing Anakin's descent.
But there have also been some major fails in that. Like OWK never tried to correct Skywalker for outburst dealing with the Zygerians. Although it was not the same level as losing his mother, slavery was one of his major buttons. The highly sensitive, like Yoda, should have had some sort tingle through the Force that Anakin was being bombarded with negative emotions, and Obi Wan was right there.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 07:29:54 PM »

No, the arc in TCW where the Jedi set up an assassin for Obi Wan's murder, and then he takes his place in order to infiltrate a Separatist plot to kidnap the chancellor.

Yes the Brotherhood was basically nothing more than a Dark Jedi Order. They were soft. I loved how he described why they no longer used the title 'Darth'; they were afraid of it.
But there have also been some major fails in that. Like OWK never tried to correct Skywalker for outburst dealing with the Zygerians. Although it was not the same level as losing his mother, slavery was one of his major buttons. The highly sensitive, like Yoda, should have had some sort tingle through the Force that Anakin was being bombarded with negative emotions, and Obi Wan was right there.

I can chalk that up to how blind and inexperienced the Order was with emotion.   Been rewatching it myself and realizing that Ahsoka leaving the order robbed Anakin not just of his friend/surrogate daughter..... but of the chance to become a Master.  By the Force Windu pisses me off.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 07:53:39 PM »

I can chalk that up to how blind and inexperienced the Order was with emotion.   Been rewatching it myself and realizing that Ahsoka leaving the order robbed Anakin not just of his friend/surrogate daughter..... but of the chance to become a Master.  By the Force Windu pisses me off.
Yeah. I too am starting to see past my love for Sam, and starting to hate the character.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 08:11:15 PM »

Yeah. I too am starting to see past my love for Sam, and starting to hate the character.

Yea, Sam will always be the BMF......  But Windu just never gave Anakin an inch.  The rest of the council came to accept or at least tolerate Anakin's presence as a Jedi.  Windu...just never let it go.  He always spoke to and about Anakin as if he didn't belong.  You have to wonder...what if Windu had brought Anakin with him to arrest Palpatine instead of effectively sending him to his room or at most sent him to contact Yoda.  Anakin may not have had time to stew in his doubts.

DarthRegol
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -8

Balance Should be Key over control

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 09:25:50 PM »

Yea, Sam will always be the BMF......  But Windu just never gave Anakin an inch.  The rest of the council came to accept or at least tolerate Anakin's presence as a Jedi.  Windu...just never let it go.  He always spoke to and about Anakin as if he didn't belong.  You have to wonder...what if Windu had brought Anakin with him to arrest Palpatine instead of effectively sending him to his room or at most sent him to contact Yoda.  Anakin may not have had time to stew in his doubts.
Windu was a jerk, he was very manipulative with anakin and only showed him any respect when he wanted him to kill palpy

"Two there should be. No more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it" -Darth Bane

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 09:39:24 PM »

Windu is arrogant, and is some ways he seems jealous of Anakin's power.  He is almost not even Jedi like (or may the epitome of the Jedi downfall).  To paraphrase from another favorite franchise of mine, "It would take only a nudge to make you like a sith, to push you out of the light."  You can see the arrogance in the latest episode of TCW.  It's a very BMF moment, but very arrogant as well.  I never liked the character too much.

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 09:55:20 PM »

Nice to know I'm not alone in the "Mace Windu was an A**hole" club.   His line to Anakin "If what you have said is true you will have earned my trust....."  This pissed me off so much.  They know Anakin and Palptaine are close, they talked about how they didn't like it.  Then here comes Anakin not just telling them "Hey....Ol' Sheev has been doing some illegal things."  But that he is the Sith Lord they have been seeking for almost 20 years.  But nope...he still doesn't trust Anakin.   For those who have finished TCW...I almost threw something at the TV when Mace spoke his last words to Ahsoka.  Such an ahole.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 01:39:23 AM »

Oh yes, that was some really good stuff.

And more evidence that Mace might very well be the most arrogant Jedi. In AOTC at the Petranaki Arena when Dooku calmly informs him that he's hopelessly outnumbered, Mace's response of "I don't think so" just reeks of arrogance. We kind of brush it off because it's just Samuel L being awesome, but really thinking of the character they were hopelessly outnumbered at first and dozens of Jedi paid the price for it. There's so much in the Prequels that Lucas worked in, it's just subtle.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: