Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Dueling with Three Blades  (Read 9261 times)
TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 8

« on: January 02, 2021, 02:40:33 AM »

Before the dark times (the global pandemic), I would occasionally spar with a staff held vertically in my off hand (nothing too serious).  It would essentially act as a light, tall shield to parry and deflect my opponent's attacks while I strike with a more traditional sword in my dominant hand.  I've never actually applied this with a lightsaber staff before, but I am curious to see if anyone has, and if so, what their results were.

"Light and Dark are not paths: merely directions."

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 03:08:41 AM »

Very interesting. I have not done this, but if you have done it with a level of proficiency using non-lightsaber weapons, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with lightsabers. I guess the only thing is buying a saberstaff and another saber could be a little bit pricey.

That said, if you’re planning on using it purely for defensive purposes, like a staff (not sure if you meant an actual staff or a bladed staff of some sort), then maybe, depending on who you’re sparring and what their rules are, you could use some sort of non-lightsaber staff in one hand and a normal lightsaber in the other. We’ve seen in-universe a Beskar Spear repeatedly block lightsaber blows for example. You’d just want to make sure it’s made out of something that isn’t going to damage any blades in comes in contact with. I’m making a “Beskar” spear now from a bendable 3D printed spearhead attached to 5’ of 1” PVC pipe with metallic steel spray paint and some clear coat. I’ll test to make sure it doesn’t chip paint on things, but I’d imagine high grade lightsaber blades shouldn’t have an issue sparring with PVC pipe? But don’t quote me on that. I’ll have to test it myself.

My only lightsaber is a saberstaff that can split into 2 sabers, but once the spear is finished, I could see trying to use it in one hand and a single blade in the other.

Sorry I can’t give you actual experience with it though.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 04:38:56 AM »

Before the dark times (the global pandemic), I would occasionally spar with a staff held vertically in my off hand (nothing too serious).  It would essentially act as a light, tall shield to parry and deflect my opponent's attacks while I strike with a more traditional sword in my dominant hand.  I've never actually applied this with a lightsaber staff before, but I am curious to see if anyone has, and if so, what their results were.

There is a resident master, or one of the ones who used to frequent the forum who specialized in/developed a fighting style of exactly this. It's an adaptation of Jar Kai, and I thought it was also listed in Master Ulios Discourse or at least referenced... (If I'm somehow mistaken then that's a shame.) I'll have to do a little digging and see what I can find and get back to you. This is something of great interest to me because it's a style I would love to become proficient in! I also already have the requisite number of blades to do so, thus would be excited to start working on this. My current saberstaff is not ideal for this application (at least by my own reasoning since it's 6' 3" or so) as it's a bit too much to easily wield one handed and have the mobility I'd desire using this form... but I'm willing to try anyway and probably increase that arm's strength/stamina severely in the process. Until I can acquire a shorter saberstaff anyway.

References as follows: Page 15 of the topic, about half way down is the link to view the Discourse.
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=2131.0
...I'll keep digging to see if I can find out exactly who developed/practiced this style within the forum community. I meant to for my own knowledge/training at some point anyway so this gives me some motivation to follow through now VS later. Also I just figured someone of your seeming interest in these topics would potentially enjoy some relatively related light reading anyway.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 08:49:45 AM »

Thanks for the input and links!  This will make for some fun reading.  I too haven't tried it for finance-related reasons, although here's hoping the opportunity to borrow someone's will arise in the future.  I'm guessing though that such styles are only for informal play though, correct?  From what I've seen of tournaments, all of them seem standardized to use single, normal-type lightsabers.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 03:02:55 PM »

Thanks for the input and links!  This will make for some fun reading.  I too haven't tried it for finance-related reasons, although here's hoping the opportunity to borrow someone's will arise in the future.  I'm guessing though that such styles are only for informal play though, correct?  From what I've seen of tournaments, all of them seem standardized to use single, normal-type lightsabers.
Checking the rules for Rogue Saber and Saber Legion. Rogue Saber first

"Either Duelist may be armed with one saber, two sabers, sabers with hand guards, saber-staffs containing two blades, or sabers with abnormally long hilts."

So it sounds like you could have anywhere from one normal saber to two full on saberstaffs or saberpikes if that's what you want and have in your posession.

https://www.roguesaber.com/files/Sparring%20and%20Dueling%20Rules.pdf

Saber Legion:

"Homemade hilts or parts cannot be used without approval of the gear inspection staff as they have not been tested and may place Members in danger."

https://www.saberlegion.org/assets/resources/TSL-Official-Event-Rules-and-Guidelines.pdf

So as long as it's two direct from manufactured weapons, or three blades, you should be good to go.

Saberstaffs are allowed there, with a hilt no longer than 36 inches, blades no shorter than 22" each, and an overall length no longer than 82" total.

They do however have dual wield guidelines as well, and no single hilt for dual wielding can be longer than 16", which means a typical staff with a 18-24" hilt would not be allowed to be used with even a single shoto blade in the offhand. The total blade length can also not exceed 84", with no blade shorter than 8", or longer than 39".

So if you wanted to push those rules as far as you can, a 16" hilt for a saberstaff with two 24" blades would give you a 5'-4" staff, maybe a bit shorter due to the blades resting into the staff a bit (so let's say 5' to 5'-4" length), and then a typical 8-12" hilt in the other hand would allow you to have a 36" blade on that one.

So you can have 3 blades between two sabers, but it looks like Zoro from One Piece may not be allowed to hold a third full sword in his mouth here.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 05:36:44 PM »

So you can have 3 blades between two sabers, but it looks like Zoro from One Piece may not be allowed to hold a third full sword in his mouth here.
I suppose if you made some crazy mouth-guard, or helmet attachment that is basically a hilt with a blade extending from it and it was "approved" as acceptable... then even that could work. Wow, just wow. (Although the impracticality and likely lack of safety of such a device/weapon setup would be in serious question IMO.) It'd be really cool to see, and the concept makes me laugh, but I wouldn't want to risk whiplash or develop the neck muscles required to do such a thing! So cool but SO impractical, thank you anime for insane ideas.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 06:27:52 PM »

I suppose if you made some crazy mouth-guard, or helmet attachment that is basically a hilt with a blade extending from it and it was "approved" as acceptable... then even that could work. Wow, just wow. (Although the impracticality and likely lack of safety of such a device/weapon setup would be in serious question IMO.) It'd be really cool to see, and the concept makes me laugh, but I wouldn't want to risk whiplash or develop the neck muscles required to do such a thing! So cool but SO impractical, thank you anime for insane ideas.
Anime does know how to take things up to eleven for sure. It looks like to be approved for sparring, the blades have to be illuminated and strong enough not to shatter or bend or dent on impact. So being able to hold something that heavy in your mouth would be a Herculean feat. Even as a helmet attachment as you said, to have any level of mobility with it would be insanely impressive, and the longer it is, the more of a torque or moment it will put on your neck muscles with a longer and heavier lever arm of sorts. Not to mention every time the head blade makes contact with another weapon or body part, or anything really, instead of that force being absorbed into the hands and arms, it's going into the head and neck, which does not sound like much fun. As you said, super fun and cool in concept, super insane in our reality at least.

On a related note of abnormal lightsaber weapons, some lightsaber wolverine claws could be cool. Sort of have a forearm mounted gauntlet of sorts that would illuminate multiple "claw" blades coming out from the top of your hands. Although that sort of shape from an illuminated tube wouldn't be as durable as a traditional round blade I'd wager, so for full contact sparring, that would likely be an issue. Perhaps thinner tubes would be durable enough? Or even just a single "claw" instead of threee like  "Deadpool" (if you can call him that) had in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. the only thing with that would be that the gauntlet or whatever that secures it to your forearm would have to be pretty well fitting to prevent it from falling off or moving around when making contact. Just random silly thoughts of crazy weapons that are almost assuredly more fun and cool than practical or functional.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 07:05:52 PM »

Anime does know how to take things up to eleven for sure. It looks like to be approved for sparring, the blades have to be illuminated and strong enough not to shatter or bend or dent on impact. So being able to hold something that heavy in your mouth would be a Herculean feat. Even as a helmet attachment as you said, to have any level of mobility with it would be insanely impressive, and the longer it is, the more of a torque or moment it will put on your neck muscles with a longer and heavier lever arm of sorts. Not to mention every time the head blade makes contact with another weapon or body part, or anything really, instead of that force being absorbed into the hands and arms, it's going into the head and neck, which does not sound like much fun. As you said, super fun and cool in concept, super insane in our reality at least.

Yep, that's in line with the mental math I'd done personally upon debating the idea myself. Highly risky to the point of ridiculous with no real strategic gains anywhere worth relevance. Especially since those guidelines dictated blade length. Now in a more informal setting where a shoto style blade could be used instead, it becomes vaguely more possible... but again only by someone with an insanely muscled neck. We're talking professional grade body builders with the highest tier of musculature or some unreal Incredible Hulk IRL guy. Even then, (for the reasons you outlined) the forces applied on striking, if the blade is parried, or even continually holding the thing up; all of it remains unreasonable as it gets. Better for a Halloween costume than actual application, for sure. But I'd laugh hard just seeing someone just gear up to fight like that! Less so at their inevitable injury (SO please no one attempt it, I don't suggest this lunacy even slightly) it's just an odd concept for a style of 3 blade fighting.

On a related note of abnormal lightsaber weapons, some lightsaber wolverine claws could be cool. Sort of have a forearm mounted gauntlet of sorts that would illuminate multiple "claw" blades coming out from the top of your hands. Although that sort of shape from an illuminated tube wouldn't be as durable as a traditional round blade I'd wager, so for full contact sparring, that would likely be an issue. Perhaps thinner tubes would be durable enough? Or even just a single "claw" instead of threee like  "Deadpool" (if you can call him that) had in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. the only thing with that would be that the gauntlet or whatever that secures it to your forearm would have to be pretty well fitting to prevent it from falling off or moving around when making contact. Just random silly thoughts of crazy weapons that are almost assuredly more fun and cool than practical or functional.

Yes to a Wolverine claw, I suppose it could even fall within rules somehow.

As to that thing which shall never be spoken of... NO, just no, didn't happen. He went back with the time device and fixed the timeline, so as far as I'm concerned THAT is canon and we all never need reminding of such nameless horrors. Instead lets say your idea is a great example of Baraka from MK! That'd be interesting to see for sure, but surely a design challenge.

At any rate thanks for the research, good to know that if the sabers are "custom built" within specifications it appears that using a saberstaff in one hand and a single lightsaber in the other looks to be conventionally acceptable within some of the guidelines. It would be awesome to try and/or see video of it if (and I wouldn't be surprised if) it does exist already. I still really enjoy this idea of a fighting style. I'll have to retain those dimensions for my overall setup once I arm myself to practice this extensively.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 07:32:48 PM »

Yep, that's in line with the mental math I'd done personally upon debating the idea myself. Highly risky to the point of ridiculous with no real strategic gains anywhere worth relevance. Especially since those guidelines dictated blade length. Now in a more informal setting where a shoto style blade could be used instead, it becomes vaguely more possible... but again only by someone with an insanely muscled neck. We're talking professional grade body builders with the highest tier of musculature or some unreal Incredible Hulk IRL guy. Even then, (for the reasons you outlined) the forces applied on striking, if the blade is parried, or even continually holding the thing up; all of it remains unreasonable as it gets. Better for a Halloween costume than actual application, for sure. But I'd laugh hard just seeing someone just gear up to fight like that! Less so at their inevitable injury (SO please no one attempt it, I don't suggest this lunacy even slightly) it's just an odd concept for a style of 3 blade fighting.

Yes to a Wolverine claw, I suppose it could even fall within rules somehow.

As to that thing which shall never be spoken of... NO, just no, didn't happen. He went back with the time device and fixed the timeline, so as far as I'm concerned THAT is canon and we all never need reminding of such nameless horrors. Instead lets say your idea is a great example of Baraka from MK! That'd be interesting to see for sure, but surely a design challenge.

At any rate thanks for the research, good to know that if the sabers are "custom built" within specifications it appears that using a saberstaff in one hand and a single lightsaber in the other looks to be conventionally acceptable within some of the guidelines. It would be awesome to try and/or see video of it if (and I wouldn't be surprised if) it does exist already. I still really enjoy this idea of a fighting style. I'll have to retain those dimensions for my overall setup once I arm myself to practice this extensively.
Ah, yes, Bakara is a much better example. I assume that if the "hilts" are really just forearm-mounted bracers, then there's no real hilt, so it would just be a blade length limitation? They would of course have to approve it for safety and durability purposes, since it's insanely unconventional.

I'm not even aware of any saberstaff hilts that are 16" or less though. The shorter paired ones are like 18.75", and the Dominicide is 17" from emitter to emitter. Even specialty shoto hilts are at least 8.25" each, which would be 16.5" total, or still longer than 16". Another staff I see has a ~17.7" hilt. Seems you'd need something custom made, and probably a tight fit on the internals I'd imagine?

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 02:29:38 AM »

Ah, yes, Bakara is a much better example. I assume that if the "hilts" are really just forearm-mounted bracers, then there's no real hilt, so it would just be a blade length limitation? They would of course have to approve it for safety and durability purposes, since it's insanely unconventional.

I'm not even aware of any saberstaff hilts that are 16" or less though. The shorter paired ones are like 18.75", and the Dominicide is 17" from emitter to emitter. Even specialty shoto hilts are at least 8.25" each, which would be 16.5" total, or still longer than 16". Another staff I see has a ~17.7" hilt. Seems you'd need something custom made, and probably a tight fit on the internals I'd imagine?

Ok Dark menace is 10.375" hilt and 2.8 is emitter. So remove those and you have 7.575 smallest couplers are 1.75 which is the issue! If you could make a purely internal one that threads into both ends to be perfectly flush, bringing both hilts flush together... then it's 15.15 with no emitters. So you basically need to buy or make an MHS compatible emitter at under/roughly .5" for each side and hope they let it slide if it's minorly over 16"? But the Dominicide looks like one of the smallest options, If you cut off and sand down the claws on both sides. I have to look again since they don't list pure emitter length but it might be close enough if modified like this?

And the V2 connector looks low profile as heck, so I'll guess it's .5"-.25" between threading till told otherwise... Dark initiate V2 is 8.75, so if you can grind/cut down the emitters on a pair of them (without compromising the firm hold of a locked in blade) removing ideally an 1" from each OR create a purely internal connector (like I mentioned above, to make them come together purely flush to each other) then probably only .75" could be taken away from each. Like I said it all depends on how well it can hold it's blades on each end after modification. But once you sand down and re finish the emitter ends, it could be a legit saberstaff within regulations. And the real ability to make a custom coupler from one of those double sided opposingly threaded "Connector screws" of the right size could possibly work. I think it might be feasible to get a 16" hilt one of these two ways...

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 02:53:06 AM »

Ok Dark menace is 10.375" hilt and 2.8 is emitter. So remove those and you have 7.575 smallest couplers are 1.75 which is the issue! If you could make a purely internal one that threads into both ends to be perfectly flush, bringing both hilts flush together... then it's 15.15 with no emitters. So you basically need to buy or make an MHS compatible emitter at under/roughly .5" for each side and hope they let it slide if it's minorly over 16"? But the Dominicide looks like one of the smallest options, If you cut off and sand down the claws on both sides. I have to look again since they don't list pure emitter length but it might be close enough if modified like this?

And the V2 connector looks low profile as heck, so I'll guess it's .5"-.25" between threading till told otherwise... Dark initiate V2 is 8.75, so if you can grind/cut down the emitters on a pair of them (without compromising the firm hold of a locked in blade) removing ideally an 1" from each OR create a purely internal connector (like I mentioned above, to make them come together purely flush to each other) then probably only .75" could be taken away from each. Like I said it all depends on how well it can hold it's blades on each end after modification. But once you sand down and re finish the emitter ends, it could be a legit saberstaff within regulations. And the real ability to make a custom coupler from one of those double sided opposingly threaded "Connector screws" of the right size could possibly work. I think it might be feasible to get a 16" hilt one of these two ways...
Do emitters not count as hilt length? Saber Legion says hilt length is measured from the end of the pommel to the tip of the emitter." Under the "Exotic Saber" section, they also say "Any saber measuring over 59” in total length, measured from the end of the hilt to the opposite blade, must be handled with 2 hands at all times." It's on a different page than the staff and pike pages, so I'm not 100% sure what it's saying, and the "dual wield" page shows two standard sabers, although as we discussed, if the "exotic saber" format rules aren't applicable (which may or may not be the case, I do not know), you can fit a staff and a single blade in those rules. At worst that means that a saberstaff is inherently a single-weapon-only option, and must be used with two hands.

Rogue Saber, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the same stringent rules, so maybe this is all a non-issue for them? I suppose it may be wise to actually contact the various associations to check before spending hundreds of dollars on an exact configuration that may not be necessary, or still may not even be allowed.

Dominicide still says 17" emitter to emitter (20.5" claw to claw).

The standard coupler is flush, in that the two hilts touch each other and it provides essentially no additional length to the combined hilt, but I suppose it then comes down what they consider the emitter. Based on their drawings, it looks like the blade is measured from the tip to where it visibly meets the hilt, so if a 24" blade loses some length sitting in the hilt, then I'd imagine that length has to be considered part of the hilt? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose cutting down on the emitter to change some of the hilt length to blade length could work, assuming it still holds in place well enough. That's a creative way to do things that no one would even notice unless they had an identical saber with the standard emitter next to it.

It's an interesting idea, to be sure, and fun to consider exactly how far the rules can be pushed. But I think I'd either stick with a single saberstaff, or even a single saberpike.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 04:40:49 AM »

Do emitters not count as hilt length? Saber Legion says hilt length is measured from the end of the pommel to the tip of the emitter." Under the "Exotic Saber" section, they also say "Any saber measuring over 59” in total length, measured from the end of the hilt to the opposite blade, must be handled with 2 hands at all times." It's on a different page than the staff and pike pages, so I'm not 100% sure what it's saying, and the "dual wield" page shows two standard sabers, although as we discussed, if the "exotic saber" format rules aren't applicable (which may or may not be the case, I do not know), you can fit a staff and a single blade in those rules. At worst that means that a saberstaff is inherently a single-weapon-only option, and must be used with two hands.

Rogue Saber, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the same stringent rules, so maybe this is all a non-issue for them? I suppose it may be wise to actually contact the various associations to check before spending hundreds of dollars on an exact configuration that may not be necessary, or still may not even be allowed.

Dominicide still says 17" emitter to emitter (20.5" claw to claw).

The standard coupler is flush, in that the two hilts touch each other and it provides essentially no additional length to the combined hilt, but I suppose it then comes down what they consider the emitter. Based on their drawings, it looks like the blade is measured from the tip to where it visibly meets the hilt, so if a 24" blade loses some length sitting in the hilt, then I'd imagine that length has to be considered part of the hilt? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose cutting down on the emitter to change some of the hilt length to blade length could work, assuming it still holds in place well enough. That's a creative way to do things that no one would even notice unless they had an identical saber with the standard emitter next to it.

I'd think you would be accurate in "visible blade length" being ruled as blade length. Since it seems odd to calculate the part internalized within the emitter itself.

Just under 5' @ 4.916' is equivalent to 59" so subtracting 18" as hilt leaves 41" for blades SO since you are not allowed to cut blades down to 20" a piece (no under 22" rule) then it's unallowable under those rules to use single handed saberstaffs basically... Within outlined SL rules? So it would seem Saberlegion just wouldn't allow the use of this concept at first glance... I'll need to read through their rules personally to double check, since I'm pretty good at translating documents seemingly in "legalese" or similar variants. No matter what if the emitter is shortened I'd torture test the ability to retain the blade after repetitive impacts or if stress to the emitter starts cracking/splitting it somehow after enough use/force. I live to find a masterful way to stay "within the rules" creatively but seek adaptation and growth of concepts, technique, whatever.

I'd be inclined to try it with Rogue Saber instead then. Since if they don't have such stringent guidelines on precisely measured saber specs seemingly it's the better bet. I have to read their rules now.

It's an interesting idea, to be sure, and fun to consider exactly how far the rules can be pushed. But I think I'd either stick with a single saberstaff, or even a single saberpike.

Well using a single saberstaff just goes against the goal TheCharlax and myself are pursuing sadly... I really want to use this style, so whatever adaptations are needed within reason to comply seem worthwhile to me. But I agree, contacting an organization you'd desire competing in prior to ordering/construction in order to outline your intentions and request approval would be the wise path. But the reactions to using it effectively in sparring would make it worth it if allowed as legal, and if you fight proficiently. Single hand saberstaff spinning, maneuvering, and dexterity would be of paramount importance IMO.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 04:49:04 AM »

I'd think you would be accurate in "visible blade length" being ruled as blade length. Since it seems odd to calculate the part internalized within the emitter itself.

Just under 5' @ 4.916' is equivalent to 59" so subtracting 18" as hilt leaves 41" for blades SO since you are not allowed to cut blades down to 20" a piece (no under 22" rule) then it's unallowable under those rules to use single handed saberstaffs basically... Within outlined SL rules? So it would seem Saberlegion just wouldn't allow the use of this concept at first glance... I'll need to read through their rules personally to double check, since I'm pretty good at translating documents seemingly in "legalese" or similar variants. No matter what if the emitter is shortened I'd torture test the ability to retain the blade after repetitive impacts or if stress to the emitter starts cracking/splitting it somehow after enough use/force. I live to find a masterful way to stay "within the rules" creatively but seek adaptation and growth of concepts, technique, whatever.

I'd be inclined to try it with Rogue Saber instead then. Since if they don't have such stringent guidelines on precisely measured saber specs seemingly it's the better bet. I have to read their rules now.

Well using a single saberstaff just goes against the goal TheCharlax and myself are pursuing sadly... I really want to use this style, so whatever adaptations are needed within reason to comply seem worthwhile to me. But I agree, contacting an organization you'd desire competing in prior to ordering/construction in order to outline your intentions and request approval would be the wise path. But the reactions to using it effectively in sparring would make it worth it if allowed as legal, and if you fight proficiently. Single hand saberstaff spinning, maneuvering, and dexterity would be of paramount importance IMO.
I would strongly advise you read the rules yourself and come to your own conclusions instead of trusting what I say of course. And if there's still any level of ambiguity, I'm sure there is a way to reach out to them to ask via Facebook, email, phone, etc. before going and buying or permanently modifying anything to fit rules and requirements you're not absolutely sure of.

And agreed, the goal of this topic is the staff and a single blade, which would be quite impressive, and quite intimidating to see someone proficient in. Good luck with it to the both of you, whatever route you decide to go. Keep me updated!

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 05:36:44 AM »

And agreed, the goal of this topic is the staff and a single blade, which would be quite impressive, and quite intimidating to see someone proficient in. Good luck with it to the both of you, whatever route you decide to go. Keep me updated!

But heck, you're used to a shorter saberstaff overall than I deal with, so given your experience I bet you'd become proficient in this faster than I likely would. I wouldn't count yourself out yet unless you really don't find it interesting enough to pursue. You've got mad skills after all.

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 09:15:52 AM »

Holy cow!  The different links were nice enough, but both of you went above and beyond in your analysis of parts measurements and interpretations of league rules.  Kudos!

For what it's worth, if I were to try the proposed style, the Phantasm Initiate V2 would probably be my first choice so as to minimize the weight and concentrate the center of rotation of the lightsaber.

Funny that you brought this up.  I've been scouring the internet for that design since at least 2014, and I've only found one example of someone building such a custom. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: