Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: saber kata  (Read 10438 times)
JaceLansing
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 28

"Your expectations aren't my responsibilities"

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »

Just a guess based by your response. Could be wrong.  Grin

TKD or Traditional Japanese based background? Shaolin Meihuaquan focuses on Forms as well. (no partner drills, only Forms and Sparring. ) I say traditional because the drill format is not normally trained.  Some schools, Kenjutsu and Kendo namely, have introduced the drill format in my neck of the woods.

lol Spot on. I come from a very traditional TKD school. So "traditional" that competitions weren't even allowed (But I have trained in 14 other styles as well). I don't want to do anything as strict as this again, but there is beauty in a school that moves as one through a pattern. I would even like to have set patterns that are made for dueling. Nothing too big, but if you come across another person from another school you could duel at a Con and look epic knowing that the other person will know how to reply. Adding a whole nother level to RP in real life.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 09:55:42 PM »

5 point sumbrada Smiley

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

JaceLansing
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 10:05:24 PM »

5 point sumbrada Smiley

YES! I used this in class last night while sparring and was shocked at how easy it was to get around someone's guard. I expected them to know what I was doing and start going faster. XD

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 07:37:16 AM »

What a lovely thread! Thank you for resurrecting it, I completely missed this!

JaceLansing
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 05:58:46 AM »

What a lovely thread! Thank you for resurrecting it, I completely missed this!

No worries. I thought it would be better than starting a new one on the same subject. I've been doing a lot of research into Shii-Cho. Not into what other people IRL are doing with it. But more into what the books have to say about it. I feel that most things that are put out there right now IRL aren't made for crowd control or facing more than one person. I would rather see Shii-Cho (Because it is also done with two hands) done more like Bagua Zhang Broadsword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfdgynPj1pI&t=0s&index=10&list=PLirWCkidcOMHxLtEp0qBcxMmBOrLII1UV

Here is one of the forms that shows it being used with both hands. With the large sweeping movements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCwyKQmMfzk

Connecting into two hands would be very easy to do. And it would lead into form 2 very well.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 01:03:39 AM »

I read the great discourse on the 7 lightsaber forms by Uilos718 and have been thinking on my old karate katas and how I might apply a lightsaber to the moves. So I doodled out the steps at work today and added a bit of text to explain each step. This was the 1st kata I learned, so it's very basic and I hope the steps are clear and understandable. I have 2 more sketched out and will post them later.
Comments and critiques more than welcome!

I love it! It is epic in it's simple practicality for a few reasons.
1- Martial Arts (including karate, tae kwon do, kendo, kumdo, etc.) that have these as a basis for learning fundamentals.
    Teaching your body some of the range of motion with a specific weapon, small practical applications on blocking or
    attacking, building confidence and control, and even demonstrating such kata for entertainment or novice instruction.
2- Lore- Once upon a time this was cannon (even if now it's labeled as Legend in the extended universe) in Drew
    Karpyshyn's book Darth Bane: Path of Destruction "kata" have a place in the learning process. They are called
    sequences... and ALL lightsaber combat they learn as Sith are introduced as initially learning, memorizing, and building
    muscle memory of these sequences. It's a solid foundation to build on. A hinderance if over relied on, but at best it frees
    up the mind mid combat to observe enemy movement/ tactics more clearly for openings and such. Letting the Force
    guide you, being one with it, whatever you call it in that elevated flow. Bane learns hundreds of attacks, blocks, parries,
    and they become a fluid personal style of Djem So he uses to horrifying effect.
3- Universality- As mentioned in a previous post, pre established kata then become disseminated. If this proliferation is
    widespread enough theoretically 2 practitioners of the same Form would then know some similar sequences even having
    never met before. Providing a frame of reference, opportunity to see individual adaptations made and their potential
    efficacy, and adding further depth to a true sport/combat aspect of lightsaber use. With no offense given to stage
    combat, this is what Samurai developed when they could no longer "fight" and carry swords but wanted skills to be
    preserved for future use/teaching. Making me even more passionate about development/delving into this area.

I will endeavor to research these kata, sequences, and videos relating to the like. If I must pick up where others left off so be it. Or adapting the existing ones to produce reliable sequences if none are as fleshed out as I'd prefer. BUT the diagrams and zeal that started this topic wont die while I hunger for growth. I've spent more than half my life now dedicated to some type of sword, so passion isn't lacking. If I discover, create, or adapt anything of merit here is likely where it will wind up. I feel I'm not the only one still seeking this synthesis.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: