Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 945344 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3000 on: November 12, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »

But all the OT characters are based on well known archetypes. They all fit a mold. Why would they change that method of story telling 7 movies in?

As far as Poe's piloting skills, Luke had never even been off world, and just like that he's the best pilot in the Rebellion? That doesn't seem a little contrived?

Luke: naive but skilled hero-to-be
Leia: hardly the damsel in distress
Han: handsome rogue.....yeah, but he did it well.

Luke was already a good pilot. Obi Wan as much said so, and he would have had enough experience to judge. But like his father before him, Luke probably also had use of the Force to guide him without his knowing. But he still had exposure to flight craft, so he didn't up and Ma-Rey Sue the pilot seat the first time he's in a fighter.

No...but if that had inspired a love and passion for driving that went beyond going  from A to B, which then lead to racing cars, which lead to becoming very skilled.  Then Red Bull might be chasing you down.  Same with Poe.  He grew to love flying and wanted to follow in his Heroes footsteps.  None of this is contrived.

Maybe. I still say it's contrived. I'd have liked it better, and felt it more believable if he'd only been flying since...say early teens.

yea.  Not boasting if you can back it up

Well, he did claim to be able to fly anything, and ended up crashing the TIE. A crash that was supposed to have ended him.

Characters ALWAYS fit some type of mold...

But how form fitting is the mold: gingerbread man or die cast?

If the way Rey and Poe were presented to us was more nuanced and not so over the top, it probably wouldn't be such an issue. It's just that watching Eps 7 and 8 it's like their sheer overpowered-ness is both in your face and shoved down your throat. I used to think of JJ directing the film and thinking "muahaha, you Star Wars fans think you know powerful characters, well watch THIS."

As OP as Rey is, Poe is almost worse because he isn't force-sensitive and yet is unashamedly presented as the best pilot in the galaxy past or present. The what... 14 or something TIE fighters he took out in 10 seconds during the mission on Takodana was all we needed to see to know that Star Wars ain't what it once was.

Exactly. He racks up an ace in one fly-by in under 3 seconds. Anakin on his best day couldn't have done that. That was just shellty movie making.

I never saw this insinuated, he never claimed to be the "Best Pilot Evar!"  His claim was "Best Pilot in the Resistance".  Why is this a stretch?  Han boasts about his prowess during his introduction same as Poe.  30 years of Technology and Training advancement has happened, it isn't far fetched to see that in play in skillful pilots.  Poe had a natural affinity for flying, he was trained by one of the most skilled pilots in the rebellion then went on to have more training based on the techniques of the likes of Wedge and Luke.  His skill was due to the bad asses of the past.  As for Rey, she was presented as Mysterious.  She obviously had skills that she couldn't have just picked up.  This was (as with JJ) a mystery box.  I have no issue with that.  It was Rian Johnson and TLJ that ruined any advancement. 

True. Truer still, neither Han nor Poe actually boasts about being "the best" at anything. Poe claimed to be able to fly anything. Emo Ren pointed it out during his capture that he was "the best pilot in the Resistance." And Han boasted about the Falcon's speed, not his ability.

He never claimed it, sure, but he didn't need to. His battlefield prowess is presented as lightyears beyond anything that Wedge, Luke, Anakin, or Han could ever hope to do. And that's the issue. Poe isn't force-sensitive and therefore shouldn't be as great a pilot as say Anakin or Luke yet he is much, much better. He makes force-sensitives look like bush pilots.

Just take another gander. Absolutely nothing else in Star Wars comes remotely close to this level.
! No longer available

Again, this is 30 years later.  It makes sense that there would be a pilot more skilled than Wedge or Han.  Because he built upon their skills they passed on (and they did).  Now, as to him showing more prowess than a Force user..I don't agree.  Vader has been shown in rebels and the comics to be able to take on whole squadrons on his own.  The problem is the film makers (Uncle George included) seemed to gloss over Force Sensitives letting loose.  So I don't think the "solution" is to nerf Poe..but actually show a Force user cut loose on film.  On film, so far, all we've seen are Force users in Military roles who can't cut loose.

I'll settle this. Poe is human. Nothing has been said about his flight suit being special. The maneuvers executed in that scene, and at that speed, should have crushed his organs into paste, and ripped the wings off his ship.

And along the lines of what Tepes said, I would love to see a Force user go full "Rage mode" kind of thing where they completely let loose in the movies. That would be very entertaining to see. now that I think about it, a Force user letting loose reminds me of this video...

! No longer available

Not exactly what he was on about. He meant a Force user pilot go nuts in a ship.

We saw a hint in Rogue One with Vader decimating the Rebel Soldiers.  Thats why either a Vader Film or a Old Republic film is so high on my want list.   But...we're getting a show about Cassian Andor.......... ummmmm  yay?

Woohoo. Mr. French Resistance cliche is getting a show.

The first was great and the second one was even better with the action, fight combos, and Force powers.  I was just disappointed that it was much shorter than the first but the story line was really good as well. 

Meh. I thought the first was far superior. Better story, better layout, better concepts, better bad guys, better challenge.

anybody think this'll be how they introduce Darth Caedus into canon?

Ugh. NO! And we riot if they do. Emo Ren was their best chance at doing Darth Caedus, and the botched that all to hell.

although it would fit what they like to do to the old canon.

You mean rape and maim it?

Plot twist, Kylo and Rey are actually Jacen and Jaina

Only......y'know.....lame. Grin

Kylo already is a watered down version of Jacen...what makes it so infuriating is that Adam Driver and Daisy would have been fine as Jacen and Jaina....and Sebastian Stan as Ben Skywalker.

<stands and applauds> HEAR HEAR!

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #3001 on: November 12, 2018, 08:17:40 PM »

You mean rape and maim it?

exactly

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #3002 on: November 12, 2018, 08:11:04 PM »

Just curious how long it took you to respond to everyone like that Logos, impressive, most impressive.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3003 on: November 13, 2018, 02:11:56 PM »

Woohoo. Mr. French Resistance cliche is getting a show.

LOL!  That's a good one.  Point

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3004 on: November 13, 2018, 02:17:07 PM »

Just curious how long it took you to respond to everyone like that Logos, impressive, most impressive.
Maybe 15min.

LOL!  That's a good one.  Point
Thanks.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2789

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3005 on: November 13, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »

Good question there, Edon.  Cheesy

Maybe 15min.
Thanks.

Kudos and point to you

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3006 on: November 15, 2018, 01:30:24 AM »

So, apparently Vader's Castle an area that can penetrate the world between worlds, an ancient Sith Lord just returned and a show down is coming

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3007 on: November 14, 2018, 07:07:30 PM »

So, apparently Vader's Castle an area that can penetrate the world between worlds, an ancient Sith Lord just returned and a show down is coming

Sweet, where did you find this out? Book, comic or game?

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3008 on: November 15, 2018, 02:12:52 AM »

Sweet, where did you find this out? Book, comic or game?

Latest issue of the Vader Comic.  Its one of the few bright spots, have not been disappointed in an issue yet.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3009 on: November 14, 2018, 07:11:55 PM »

Latest issue of the Vader Comic.  Its one of the few bright spots, have not been disappointed in an issue yet.

Interesting. I'd love to check out the Vader comics sometime, but haven't been in a position too as of yet.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3010 on: November 15, 2018, 02:24:27 AM »

Interesting. I'd love to check out the Vader comics sometime, but haven't been in a position too as of yet.

Its actually, sadly, about to end.  You can pick up the trades when you can

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3011 on: November 15, 2018, 02:04:43 PM »

Kudos and point to you
That is what is known as a Logos Weekend Dump.

Sig by For Tyeth

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3012 on: November 15, 2018, 02:45:59 PM »

What you do on your time is your business.  Tongue

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #3013 on: November 16, 2018, 05:31:40 AM »

Yeah you know that phrasing pic you post, well umm yeah  Tongue

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3014 on: November 16, 2018, 05:16:28 AM »

Yeah you know that phrasing pic you post, well umm yeah  Tongue

Exactly!  Point for that