Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26   Go Down
Author Topic: Sith Academy: Korriban  (Read 145485 times)
Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »

Alright, I hate to be "that guy", but this thread was intended solely for educational purposes, and not for general chitchat.

These are some good Sith hangouts:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=26429.0
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11019.0
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=23475.0

Apologies my Lord. Right you are.

A point, then, for pointing that out.  Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2016, 12:45:15 AM »

Very well, some educational materials on various Sith Holocrons: 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Holocron
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_holocron/Legends

And my personal favorite, a Holocron like no other:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Telos_Holocron

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2016, 03:14:28 PM »

Does anyone recall what the etymology of "Darth" is?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2016, 03:50:45 PM »

Does anyone recall what the etymology of "Darth" is?

This is from Wookiepedia:

Darth is often thought to be a combination of letters from the title Dark Lord of the Sith, a theory which is alluded to in Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force. Darth may also be a portmanteau of dark and death.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2016, 04:08:46 PM »

This is from Wookiepedia:

Darth is often thought to be a combination of letters from the title Dark Lord of the Sith, a theory which is alluded to in Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force. Darth may also be a portmanteau of dark and death.

Is that what dar'ta was? I remember reading something that Darth descended from that.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Vivectius
Knight Commander

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2016, 04:34:41 AM »

Is that what dar'ta was? I remember reading something that Darth descended from that.

From the Legends section on the "Darth" title:

Some historians suggest that "Darth" is actually a corruption of the Rakata word Daritha, meaning "emperor". Others note another Rakatan connection: the words for "triumph" or "conquest" in Rakatan is darr, and the word for "death" is tah, leading to the theory that "Darth" is derived from darr tah and therefore means "triumph over death" or "immortal". Given the Sith obsession with discovering the means to achieve immortality, this idea is not entirely without merit, at least on the surface. But others point out that the true meaning of darr tah is "conquest through death," meaning the conquest of one's enemies.[1]

Ultimately, the flaw in such theories involving a Rakatan origin is that, even if they are accurate, they cannot spring specifically from Revan or Malak's re-discovery of the Rakata and the Star Forge. Five years prior to their emergence as Sith Lords (3964 BBY), the title "Darth" was already well known by the Jedi in connection to the Sith, which is why Padawan Zayne Carrick could call Jarael "Darth Sunshine". In addition, Haazen claimed that if he were to take a name like the Sith of old, it would be "Darth Hayze," all but asserting that the title Darth was around prior to Revan and Malak's discovery.[2] There is still the possibility that one of the Rakatan theories could be correct, since the ancient Sith homeworld of Korriban had once been occupied by the Rakata (circa 28,000 BBY), which is one way either the Daritha or darr tah term could have entered the ancient Sith language. Darth Andeddu lived during the time of the old Sith Empire (6900 BBY to 5000 BBY), early enough for his holocron to come into the possession of the fallen Jedi Freedon Nadd.[3] He was known for experiments into eternal life, a possible link to the Rakatan term.
But even if the Rakatan connection proves to have some validity, numerous other cultures make similar claims to the etymology of the title, so for the present, there is no definitive answer as to what the term "Darth" truly means.

Full reading, which also contains a fairly comprehensive list to notable Darths, can be found here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth/Legends

The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2016, 08:50:31 AM »

While a cursory search online provides no more info than Vivectius gave (-1), and it makes perfect sense that "Darth" is a portmanteau of the words "dark" and "sith", and there are even numerous quotes from Lucas himself saying just that, I always considered "Darth" to be an honorary reserved for the extreme elite like "professor" or "doctor".

The main reason I didn't use that title in my own forum handle, is that, to me, in order to earn the title of Darth, one must kill a Darth.  I have not done so in any sense.

Also, I didn't want it to seem like I already knew a lot, when I so don't. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Vivectius
Knight Commander

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2016, 06:14:38 PM »

Actually, at one point I read that there was an actual initiation/rite of passage/test to earn the Darth title, but that was a while ago and has been superseded even in non-canon writing.

[Note: The following is said "in character" and is NOT meant to be a personal insult or criticism in the real world.  If you decide to take it that way, it's your own fault because that's NOT how I mean it.]
 I don't use a title because I don't need one.  To me, titles are for those who are unsure of who they are or what their place in the universe is.  Their insecurity in themselves forces them to try to define who they are by their title, whether it be "Master" Jedi, "Darth" Sith, "Count" Wannabe, or "Lord" Cyborg. Their actions fail to inspire fear or respect, so they seek to demand it by being addressed by their title.  Bane would be disgusted by everyone running around with the Darth or Lord title here.  And the really confusing people with a title from one order but affiliation to another. 

Unknown to death
 Nor known to life

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »

Actually, at one point I read that there was an actual initiation/rite of passage/test to earn the Darth title, but that was a while ago and has been superseded even in non-canon writing.

[Note: The following is said "in character" and is NOT meant to be a personal insult or criticism in the real world.  If you decide to take it that way, it's your own fault because that's NOT how I mean it.]
 I don't use a title because I don't need one.  To me, titles are for those who are unsure of who they are or what their place in the universe is.  Their insecurity in themselves forces them to try to define who they are by their title, whether it be "Master" Jedi, "Darth" Sith, "Count" Wannabe, or "Lord" Cyborg. Their actions fail to inspire fear or respect, so they seek to demand it by being addressed by their title.  Bane would be disgusted by everyone running around with the Darth or Lord title here.  And the really confusing people with a title from one order but affiliation to another. 

I have known a lot of scary men. And they all have one thing in common. They don't talk about how scary they are.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2016, 08:26:48 PM »

From the Legends section on the "Darth" title:

Some historians suggest that "Darth" is actually a corruption of the Rakata word Daritha, meaning "emperor". Others note another Rakatan connection: the words for "triumph" or "conquest" in Rakatan is darr, and the word for "death" is tah, leading to the theory that "Darth" is derived from darr tah and therefore means "triumph over death" or "immortal". Given the Sith obsession with discovering the means to achieve immortality, this idea is not entirely without merit, at least on the surface. But others point out that the true meaning of darr tah is "conquest through death," meaning the conquest of one's enemies.[1]

Ultimately, the flaw in such theories involving a Rakatan origin is that, even if they are accurate, they cannot spring specifically from Revan or Malak's re-discovery of the Rakata and the Star Forge. Five years prior to their emergence as Sith Lords (3964 BBY), the title "Darth" was already well known by the Jedi in connection to the Sith, which is why Padawan Zayne Carrick could call Jarael "Darth Sunshine". In addition, Haazen claimed that if he were to take a name like the Sith of old, it would be "Darth Hayze," all but asserting that the title Darth was around prior to Revan and Malak's discovery.[2] There is still the possibility that one of the Rakatan theories could be correct, since the ancient Sith homeworld of Korriban had once been occupied by the Rakata (circa 28,000 BBY), which is one way either the Daritha or darr tah term could have entered the ancient Sith language. Darth Andeddu lived during the time of the old Sith Empire (6900 BBY to 5000 BBY), early enough for his holocron to come into the possession of the fallen Jedi Freedon Nadd.[3] He was known for experiments into eternal life, a possible link to the Rakatan term.
But even if the Rakatan connection proves to have some validity, numerous other cultures make similar claims to the etymology of the title, so for the present, there is no definitive answer as to what the term "Darth" truly means.

Full reading, which also contains a fairly comprehensive list to notable Darths, can be found here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth/Legends

Awesome work. -1

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2016, 06:15:58 PM »

Currently reading Lost Tribe of the Sith. I'm a little confused about the Force dissemination in it.

The story begins in 5000 BBY. The Sith involved in the story all seem to have some command of the Force, but are not Lords, nor are any called Darth. Is this before the Sith started using the title? Or were there lesser Force sensatives within the Empire that had more menial positions, like captaining a mining transport? Would these individuals be more in line with Acolytes?

Sig by For Tyeth

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2016, 09:34:46 PM »

Currently reading Lost Tribe of the Sith. I'm a little confused about the Force dissemination in it.

The story begins in 5000 BBY. The Sith involved in the story all seem to have some command of the Force, but are not Lords, nor are any called Darth. Is this before the Sith started using the title? Or were there lesser Force sensatives within the Empire that had more menial positions, like captaining a mining transport? Would these individuals be more in line with Acolytes?

Sith ways and force uses vary at different stages in history. Book of Sith suggests that the Darth title was overused at one point. It was originally a very respected and difficult title to earn before everyone started calling themselves Darth.

I'm not certain of the timing of Lost Tribe of the Sith, but Sith were a species of force capable who mostly utilized alchemy and the like at one time rather than what we see of Jedi and Palpatine. Later, dark Jedi came and took control, as they knew more about using the force directly and could overpower Sith leaders. They learned the dark side arts of alchemy from the Sith and used alchemy to cross breed with Pureblood Sith. Later, the Sith had more actually using the force during the time of the Emperor and Revan. In a book called Revan, Darth Scourge is surprised at Revan's power and learns from him.

From what I'm reading of older days, I suspect the Sith are so competitive and dominated by rage, their actual force use is somewhat limited. The Sith rulers will have it. But the underlings are fighting for scraps of knowledge. They're more likely to have items and weapons that increase strength via alchemy than actually know a great deal about the force. Scourge didn't know much about force visions. Most Sith didn't.

Eventually, the Sith fell apart. Defeated by Jedi and fighting amongst themselves, Bane made the rule of two. This greatly changes how we see the Sith. Generations of Sith using the title Darth and following the rule of two with a master passing on a lot of knowledge until the student kills the master and takes an apprentice. Times of many Sith leave each fending for his/her own knowledge and rank.

5000 BBY is right around the time the Sith began to fall apart under defeat by Jedi, and The Sith Emperor (Valkorion) came to rule for over 1000 years.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth/Legends
The earliest use of the title that can be pinned down to a specific year was by Naga Sadow,[4] last of the original Dark Lords of the Sith that ruled the old Sith Empire. The expatriate Lord Vitiate renewed usage of the title in his reformed Empire. There, the "Darth" title was used by high-ranking Sith Lords, including members of the Dark Council.[5][6] Later Sith Lords of the Jedi Civil War era also used the title Darth, as did the founding Sith Lord of the Light and Darkness War, Darth Ruin, though there were few later Sith bearing the title until the rise of Darth Rivan and Darth Bane.[1] During the Draggulch Period, Lord Kaan discouraged the usage of the term within the Brotherhood of Darkness, claiming that it promoted rivalry among the Sith. Darth Bane, believing that the reason was merely fear, revived the use of the title in the last days of the Brotherhood.[7] Bane, as the only survivor of the Sith Order after the Seventh Battle of Ruusan, was largely able to reshape the Sith in his own image, instituting such reforms as the Sith of his lineage adopted the Darth title as he did, generally coupling it with a new Sith name (e.g. Sidious, Tyranus, Vader), which appears to have been chosen for the apprentice by the master at the time the apprentice swore allegiance to the Sith.[8][9] Not all usages of the term "Darth" during this time, however, preceded a Sith name, as Darth Maul's name had the title of "Darth" preceding his birth name.[10]

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2016, 04:14:24 PM »

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth/Legends
The earliest use of the title that can be pinned down to a specific year was by Naga Sadow,[4] last of the original Dark Lords of the Sith that ruled the old Sith Empire. The expatriate Lord Vitiate renewed usage of the title in his reformed Empire. There, the "Darth" title was used by high-ranking Sith Lords, including members of the Dark Council.[5][6] Later Sith Lords of the Jedi Civil War era also used the title Darth, as did the founding Sith Lord of the Light and Darkness War, Darth Ruin, though there were few later Sith bearing the title until the rise of Darth Rivan and Darth Bane.[1] During the Draggulch Period, Lord Kaan discouraged the usage of the term within the Brotherhood of Darkness, claiming that it promoted rivalry among the Sith. Darth Bane, believing that the reason was merely fear, revived the use of the title in the last days of the Brotherhood.[7] Bane, as the only survivor of the Sith Order after the Seventh Battle of Ruusan, was largely able to reshape the Sith in his own image, instituting such reforms as the Sith of his lineage adopted the Darth title as he did, generally coupling it with a new Sith name (e.g. Sidious, Tyranus, Vader), which appears to have been chosen for the apprentice by the master at the time the apprentice swore allegiance to the Sith.[8][9] Not all usages of the term "Darth" during this time, however, preceded a Sith name, as Darth Maul's name had the title of "Darth" preceding his birth name.[10]

Excellent source. Maul was not the only notable instance of using his birth name as his Sith name as well. The first in the Bane lineage was his apprentice Zannah. Although Zannah was her birth name, those closest to her called her Rain. When she swore allegiance to the Sith, she reverted back to the name she never used.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Acervus
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -248

6 movies & Rogue one. That's all folks....

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »

I absolutely love this thread kudos & DS points Darth Logos. I have read pretty much every Star wars novel apart from some of the latest releases(I'm not bragging when I say this. It only proves Im a total SWnerd lol). but my recall is not great(medical thing) so every few years I get to read them again as if for the first time lol. Love reading this thread as it makes me think "oh yeah I should read that again"
Where my knowledge really falls down is where the graphic novel/Comics come in . I look forward to reading more here Smiley

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »

I just found out about the character the Son. I saw images of him putting out red lightning. Is the red color of any significance?

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: