Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 940453 times)
Gilbert
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -63

Sith! Sith! Yeth?

« Reply #2370 on: July 01, 2017, 04:59:02 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTrxDBDBOHU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTrxDBDBOHU</a>

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2371 on: July 03, 2017, 04:12:34 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
These are hilariously F#%$ed up.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2372 on: July 11, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »

That is only your opinion, some would say the changes made to the original trilogy were necessary.  I would say that some were very welcome changes, and others not so much.  Take comfort in the fact that now that Disney owns the rights, there won't be any more changes to the original trilogy.
As for the prequel trilogy, well, they were good movies in their own right, yes they have problems, but name me a franchise that doesn't.
As for the new films, well, they are being made under the Disney umbrella, but still by Lucas Film.  If you want to blame anyone for the disapointment you feel for the new trilogy blame Lucas Film.  As for me, I welcome the expanding universe of SW that Disney is creating.
I have no problem with Disney and Lucas Film ditching the books, comics, etc, for a new canon.  I applaud them for taking the risk, and opening up the universe for new stories, characters, ships, weapons, planets, and so on.
Star Trek's stratogy on the other hand of bailing on the original universe and starting again is not the way to go for Star Wars.
Oh, and if I don't like a post, I will dislike it, be it light or dark points.  It takes a lot more for me to dislike a post than it takes for me to like a post.  So lay off Disney, and we won't have an issue.
-As I said, I am entitled to my opinion as you are entitled to yours. I can take a momentary comfort, as they haven't done anything yet. Unless you keep your ears to the feeds that they have officially announced that they will not make any future alterations.

-And yes the prequels had issues, but hey, I can probably count on one hand the number movies that have ever had no mistakes. But the overall story of the fall of the Republic, destruction of the Jedi, and the origins of Darth Vader, were great plot points. One point that I was made aware of though was that the prequels were pretty much just a vehicle for Lucas to showcase ILM's abilities in CGI. But it brought us pod racing. And I really love that. And that's all that matters. Grin Tongue

-Yes and yes, but there was a significant shift in how things were done when Disney took over. So you can't deny that they didn't take a hands-off approach to their new acquisition. I'm also trying (screw what Yoda says, trying is a severe effort in this case) to keep an open mind until the trilogy is finished. I initially had reservations after seeing TPM, and after AOTC I was gonna toss my DS cookies if I heard one more kriffing "m'lady". <shutter>

-My gripe with the Disney purge is that all their "new" ideas are crap. The best plot points that they've brought to the table are all either pre-established from the OC, or a half-assed recycling of concepts that were good when they were original in the OC. Take SWR for example. The first season was kids' show crap, but then $#!% got real when they brought Tarkin in, and the Empire was no longer totally inept. Or replacing Jacen Solo/ Darth Caedus and his New Order picking up the remnants of the Empire, for Ben Solo/ Kylo Ren and his First Order. How original? Roll Eyes However, that mess aside, I did thoroughly love what they did with Chirrut. His character offered up an aspect of faith.

-Now I'm gonna have to disagree with you on two franchise moves. I liked how they were able to transition from the OC to the NC, because by time-travel technicality it's still all the same story line, because old Spock had a history in the original, but because something was significantly change in the past, it opened up a future that hadn't been written yet. But that was one of very few things that I that was well done. IMO JJ needs to stay the hell away from sci-fi. But Star Wars, as far as I know, has never embraced time travel within the realm of its fictional science. Although............. Roll Eyes.............I think I could right a story that could unify a countless series of varying canons. And it would open the door to truly endless possibilities for story development without undoing anything that was previously established. Even the current crappy crystal canon. Tongue Shocked

-Or we could be big boys about this, you could just accept that my opinion differs from yours, plan ahead, and not read my posts. Then you won't be that net troll that thinks they need to abuse people who think differently. How would you feel if I docked you points every time you posted something I didn't like? The points system here isn't an approval meter. A forum, by definition, is a place to freely exchange ideas. So if you can't accept opposing mentalities equally with synchronous ones, then I don't think a forum is the best place for you. Maybe try a fan page, where everybody thinks the same way about the same subjects. Wink

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

DarthJt
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 71

I am the Blind Jedi.

« Reply #2373 on: July 11, 2017, 10:29:26 PM »

I want to start by saying everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are also entitled to like or dislike a post.  It's a balance between light and dark, and some comments can be a little darker than others.
  So we'll start at the begining where you my misguided friend went off the rails.
You started this little dispute by saying.
That Disney abomination.
Do you see where you got confused yet?
Blind Jedi went on to say.
Oo, hating on Disney.  Not cool, not cool at all.
Disney, being the key word here.  Blind Jedi didn't like you saying bad things about Disney.  It had nothing to do with TFA film.
Granted what he said next was a little harsh.
+1 Light side point, enjoy.
In my opinion he should have said his thing about Disney, and left it at that.  I do agree with the Light side point though, sorry about that.
Next he went on to say the following.
I loved that movie, and will hopefully love the new one too.
Hmmm.  He never said anything about your opinion being wrong.  It's ok in my opinion to dislike the movie, but the way you said it was completely uncalled for.
Then he followed it up with.
May the force be with you.
I think that is kind of poetic.
You followed it up with.
Point docking is not cool.
Agreed it isn't cool, but in my mind some what necessary, especially when some one says something stupid, or offensive. Then you went on to say.
Just as you are entitled to love it, I am entitled to despise it.
Very true, and Blind Jedi never questioned this.  He had an issue with the Disney comment.
Now if you had posted something different originally, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
What you said next wouldn't have ever had been written if you hadn't insulted Disney in the first place.
I love Disney. I simply hate what they have done to my beloved franchise.
Blind Jedi followed this up with.
That is only your opinion, some would say the changes made to the original trilogy were necessary.  I would say that some were very welcome changes, and others not so much.  Take comfort in the fact that now that Disney owns the rights, there won't be any more changes to the original trilogy.
I've seen IGN videos on this topic, and hope it is true, although I think Blind Jedi could have worded this one a little better.
He then goes on to say.
As for the prequel trilogy, well, they were good movies in their own right, yes they have problems, but name me a franchise that doesn't.
As for the new films, well, they are being made under the Disney umbrella, but still by Lucas Film.  If you want to blame anyone for the disapointment you feel for the new trilogy blame Lucas Film.  As for me, I welcome the expanding universe of SW that Disney is creating.
I have no problem with Disney and Lucas Film ditching the books, comics, etc, for a new canon.  I applaud them for taking the risk, and opening up the universe for new stories, characters, ships, weapons, planets, and so on.
I never read anything in Blind Jedi's posts that says your opinions are wrong, just that he doesn't like you attacking Disney, especially with them not being responsible for TFA, in any regard except financially.  Without them the SW franchise would probably be dead in the water.
He then goes on to say.
Star Trek's stratogy on the other hand of bailing on the original universe and starting again is not the way to go for Star Wars.
I think he is right.  In my opinion Star Trek jumped ship and went back in time, changing the timeline, and creating an alternate universe, just so they wouldn't have to rely on old continuity.  Basically giving them a clean slate.
Yes I know old Spock was there, but he was only a link to the old universe, and a way to sell tickets to the new movies.
This next quote was a little harsh, but very truthful I think.
Oh, and if I don't like a post, I will dislike it, be it light or dark points.  It takes a lot more for me to dislike a post than it takes for me to like a post.  So lay off Disney, and we won't have an issue.
There's that Disney thing again.  Thus proving my point.  He doesn't have an issue with your opinions, just your attack on Disney.
In conclusion, Blind Jedi I got your back.  Us blind saber enthusiasts have to stick together. 
And Darth Logos, in the future please think before you type.

I am the other Blind Jedi

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2374 on: July 12, 2017, 03:00:27 AM »

Ok, time to take a step back.  No need for finger wagging or discord we're all here to share our opinions and love of Star Wars and those opinions will differ and can get a bit heated at times...but we should never forget to be polite.  Logos and I have had many discussions on the new canon...and while I disagree with his stance, we have never allowed it to go to insults and rancor.  To clip to the point, don't take it personal.   Now, to Logos...something occurred to me recently and while I have no solid proof and most likely will never have any...allow me to run a theory past you.  Recently in an Interview  Mark Hamill mentioned the Idea of Luke being cloned from his severed hand (Thrawn Trilogy of course) and that he would have loved to play his own Evil Clone...(here's where it gets interesting)..he then said "But we can't do anything that's been done before..."  Mark Hamill isn't really know for misspeaking or mincing words and its that "Can't" that caught my ear.  Looking at modern cases and thinking on Rights to characters, the fact is, perhaps Disney  CAN'T just pull things straight as they are from the EU because so many different authors created these events and characters that it would be a possible litigation nightmare.  Some examples to illustrate what I mean is Neil Gaiman suing Todd McFarland for the rights to Angela and Medieval  Spawn and the Siegel and Schuster Families suing for the rights to Superman.  Even though Gaiman created those Characters for McFarlane's comic, the court decided he co-owned the characters and then had full ownership of Angela (which he then took to Marvel).  The Siegel and Schuster suit was as well a big mess.  These examples (among others) show that creators, even when creating under someone elses banner, can bring down a Sith Storm if they don't like where their characters are going.  That in mind, we see with New Canon how some shadows of the old EU are being used, but just different enough.  With the only EU character being nearly 100% on point being Thrawn because Zahn was on board (probably some legal paperwork there to).  Sorry for the long winded post, perhaps I'm way off..but just something to consider.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2375 on: July 12, 2017, 05:10:11 AM »

Ok, time to take a step back.  No need for finger wagging or discord we're all here to share our opinions and love of Star Wars and those opinions will differ and can get a bit heated at times...but we should never forget to be polite.  Logos and I have had many discussions on the new canon...and while I disagree with his stance, we have never allowed it to go to insults and rancor.  To clip to the point, don't take it personal.   Now, to Logos...something occurred to me recently and while I have no solid proof and most likely will never have any...allow me to run a theory past you.  Recently in an Interview  Mark Hamill mentioned the Idea of Luke being cloned from his severed hand (Thrawn Trilogy of course) and that he would have loved to play his own Evil Clone...(here's where it gets interesting)..he then said "But we can't do anything that's been done before..."  Mark Hamill isn't really know for misspeaking or mincing words and its that "Can't" that caught my ear.  Looking at modern cases and thinking on Rights to characters, the fact is, perhaps Disney  CAN'T just pull things straight as they are from the EU because so many different authors created these events and characters that it would be a possible litigation nightmare.  Some examples to illustrate what I mean is Neil Gaiman suing Todd McFarland for the rights to Angela and Medieval  Spawn and the Siegel and Schuster Families suing for the rights to Superman.  Even though Gaiman created those Characters for McFarlane's comic, the court decided he co-owned the characters and then had full ownership of Angela (which he then took to Marvel).  The Siegel and Schuster suit was as well a big mess.  These examples (among others) show that creators, even when creating under someone elses banner, can bring down a Sith Storm if they don't like where their characters are going.  That in mind, we see with New Canon how some shadows of the old EU are being used, but just different enough.  With the only EU character being nearly 100% on point being Thrawn because Zahn was on board (probably some legal paperwork there to).  Sorry for the long winded post, perhaps I'm way off..but just something to consider.

Thanks for saying this. Also, I like the theory. It could happen. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2376 on: July 12, 2017, 05:00:22 PM »

I want to start by saying everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are also entitled to like or dislike a post.  It's a balance between light and dark, and some comments can be a little darker than others.
  So we'll start at the begining where you my misguided friend went off the rails.
You started this little dispute by saying.Do you see where you got confused yet?
Blind Jedi went on to say.Disney, being the key word here.  Blind Jedi didn't like you saying bad things about Disney.  It had nothing to do with TFA film.
Granted what he said next was a little harsh.In my opinion he should have said his thing about Disney, and left it at that.  I do agree with the Light side point though, sorry about that.
Next he went on to say the following.Hmmm.  He never said anything about your opinion being wrong.  It's ok in my opinion to dislike the movie, but the way you said it was completely uncalled for.
Then he followed it up with.I think that is kind of poetic.
You followed it up with.Agreed it isn't cool, but in my mind some what necessary, especially when some one says something stupid, or offensive. Then you went on to say.Very true, and Blind Jedi never questioned this.  He had an issue with the Disney comment.
Now if you had posted something different originally, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
What you said next wouldn't have ever had been written if you hadn't insulted Disney in the first place.Blind Jedi followed this up with.I've seen IGN videos on this topic, and hope it is true, although I think Blind Jedi could have worded this one a little better.
He then goes on to say.I never read anything in Blind Jedi's posts that says your opinions are wrong, just that he doesn't like you attacking Disney, especially with them not being responsible for TFA, in any regard except financially.  Without them the SW franchise would probably be dead in the water.
He then goes on to say.I think he is right.  In my opinion Star Trek jumped ship and went back in time, changing the timeline, and creating an alternate universe, just so they wouldn't have to rely on old continuity.  Basically giving them a clean slate.
Yes I know old Spock was there, but he was only a link to the old universe, and a way to sell tickets to the new movies.
This next quote was a little harsh, but very truthful I think.There's that Disney thing again.  Thus proving my point.  He doesn't have an issue with your opinions, just your attack on Disney.
In conclusion, Blind Jedi I got your back.  Us blind saber enthusiasts have to stick together. 
And Darth Logos, in the future please think before you type.
I'm just going to sum-up.

1) I always think. The double edged sword of being ADHD. The brain never shuts off. I may be blunt, but I always endeavor to say what I feel in a way I am confident will not offer offense. And if offense is taken I welcome polite and private criticism of my behavior. PM if I have offended, and we can work towards a mutually beneficial resolution.

2) Your logic is contradictory. You say I have a right to an opinion, but that that my point total will be affected negatively if I don't share yours. That isn't a ringing endorsement of tolerance. If I went around docking points simply because someone had a different opinion, I wouldn't be very popular on the forum. And regardless of my popularity with you, there actually are members that place value on what I have to say.

3) It may have escaped your notice, but I've been dealing with troll. And in the last two weeks said troll or trolls have docked me over 170points. It is not only pissing me off, but also other high ranking forum members that (a) find this practice detestable, and (b) have known me for a good long while and contributed many of the points that I have. So if you want to be the target of wrath for half the forum, by all means continue. <sarcastic  Grin)

Ok, time to take a step back.  No need for finger wagging or discord we're all here to share our opinions and love of Star Wars and those opinions will differ and can get a bit heated at times...but we should never forget to be polite.  Logos and I have had many discussions on the new canon...and while I disagree with his stance, we have never allowed it to go to insults and rancor.  To clip to the point, don't take it personal.   Now, to Logos...something occurred to me recently and while I have no solid proof and most likely will never have any...allow me to run a theory past you.  Recently in an Interview  Mark Hamill mentioned the Idea of Luke being cloned from his severed hand (Thrawn Trilogy of course) and that he would have loved to play his own Evil Clone...(here's where it gets interesting)..he then said "But we can't do anything that's been done before..."  Mark Hamill isn't really known for misspeaking or mincing words and its that "Can't" that caught my ear.  Looking at modern cases and thinking on Rights to characters, the fact is, perhaps Disney  CAN'T just pull things straight as they are from the EU because so many different authors created these events and characters that it would be a possible litigation nightmare.  Some examples to illustrate what I mean is Neil Gaiman suing Todd McFarland for the rights to Angela and Medieval  Spawn and the Siegel and Schuster Families suing for the rights to Superman.  Even though Gaiman created those Characters for McFarlane's comic, the court decided he co-owned the characters and then had full ownership of Angela (which he then took to Marvel).  The Siegel and Schuster suit was as well a big mess.  These examples (among others) show that creators, even when creating under someone else's banner, can bring down a Sith Storm if they don't like where their characters are going.  That in mind, we see with Disney Canon how some shadows of the old EU are being used, but just different enough.  With the only EU character being nearly 100% on point being Thrawn because Zahn was on board (probably some legal paperwork there to).  Sorry for the long winded post, perhaps I'm way off..but just something to consider.
Thank you for being a prime and proper example of an opposing view point. -1 sir.

Also summing up response in lieu of a point for point:

If Disney owns Star Wars, then by extension they own the rights to anything directly connected with this logo

Which means they could have done a proper renovation of the OC. Nipping what didn't fit or was chronologically or canonically flawed. Then we only would have lost a small part instead of having 99% tossed in the bin.

And I don't know how accurate that statement from Hamill is, but Thrawn is a staight pull from "what has already been done." This kind of invalidates the logic. The only thing they did differently with him is give him irises and pupils. Undecided He's still blue, with a white fleet uniform, and still an unbelievable kriffing military genius.

Plus, Disney is still printing OCEU novels. That's why they have the "Legends" banner printed across the cover. So they're still making money off the OC. IMO...smart.

I'll admit, I know next to nothing about copyright law, but enough to raise hell. From what I was told in the beginning of the transition, Disney or Lucasfilm or a kriffing CIA black op  wanted to be able to do their own thing without being bound by a pre-established canon. Basically "It's our new toy, and no one else can have a say in how it's played with." So they chucked every plot point ever made outside of movies and TCW. What gripes me even more is that much of what I see as "new" comes off as simple gimmicks that can later be turned into merchandizing. And waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many throwbacks.

And TCW was already on my short list. Even though it expanded on events of the Clone Wars, and retroactively expanded on some character development, it was for the most part a kids' cartoon show. The good guys always pull through to win, and the bad guys are laughably inept, and gag me with a spoon. For the record, I don't hate it, and rewatching it in chrono-order is giving me a better appreciation. I guess my initial viewing left me limp after I kept hearing all the buzz about how "great" it was. It was ok, but every once in a while achieved greatness in a couple of arcs.

I guess in the end, my disapproval of the DC stems from being slighted that no one felt it necessary to put the time in to properly prune the canon. But I dig TR's optimism in that they could steadily bring stuff we love back. I'm apprehensive about the rumored Netflix series based in TOR. It could suck or it could be the greatest thing SW has ever done. Time will tell, and I won't know unless I at least give it a try.

Speaking of TOR, I'll admit that I can see some light in the purge. By wiping out pre-existing TOR stories, it has allowed for an "ironing" of plot wrinkles that I've had in the book I'm writing. Just have to convince Disney to publish it. Someone at Pop-con suggested publishing it under Legends. Are there any new Legends titles being released?

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2377 on: July 13, 2017, 01:49:51 AM »

I'm just going to sum-up.

1) I always think. The double edged sword of being ADHD. The brain never shuts off. I may be blunt, but I always endeavor to say what I feel in a way I am confident will not offer offense. And if offense is taken I welcome polite and private criticism of my behavior. PM if I have offended, and we can work towards a mutually beneficial resolution.

2) Your logic is contradictory. You say I have a right to an opinion, but that that my point total will be affected negatively if I don't share yours. That isn't a ringing endorsement of tolerance. If I went around docking points simply because someone had a different opinion, I wouldn't be very popular on the forum. And regardless of my popularity with you, there actually are members that place value on what I have to say.

3) It may have escaped your notice, but I've been dealing with troll. And in the last two weeks said troll or trolls have docked me over 170points. It is not only pissing me off, but also other high ranking forum members that (a) find this practice detestable, and (b) have known me for a good long while and contributed many of the points that I have. So if you want to be the target of wrath for half the forum, by all means continue. <sarcastic  Grin)
Thank you for being a prime and proper example of an opposing view point. -1 sir.

Also summing up response in lieu of a point for point:

If Disney owns Star Wars, then by extension they own the rights to anything directly connected with this logo

Which means they could have done a proper renovation of the OC. Nipping what didn't fit or was chronologically or canonically flawed. Then we only would have lost a small part instead of having 99% tossed in the bin.

And I don't know how accurate that statement from Hamill is, but Thrawn is a staight pull from "what has already been done." This kind of invalidates the logic. The only thing they did differently with him is give him irises and pupils. Undecided He's still blue, with a white fleet uniform, and still an unbelievable kriffing military genius.

Plus, Disney is still printing OCEU novels. That's why they have the "Legends" banner printed across the cover. So they're still making money off the OC. IMO...smart.

I'll admit, I know next to nothing about copyright law, but enough to raise hell. From what I was told in the beginning of the transition, Disney or Lucasfilm or a kriffing CIA black op  wanted to be able to do their own thing without being bound by a pre-established canon. Basically "It's our new toy, and no one else can have a say in how it's played with." So they chucked every plot point ever made outside of movies and TCW. What gripes me even more is that much of what I see as "new" comes off as simple gimmicks that can later be turned into merchandizing. And waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many throwbacks.

And TCW was already on my short list. Even though it expanded on events of the Clone Wars, and retroactively expanded on some character development, it was for the most part a kids' cartoon show. The good guys always pull through to win, and the bad guys are laughably inept, and gag me with a spoon. For the record, I don't hate it, and rewatching it in chrono-order is giving me a better appreciation. I guess my initial viewing left me limp after I kept hearing all the buzz about how "great" it was. It was ok, but every once in a while achieved greatness in a couple of arcs.

I guess in the end, my disapproval of the DC stems from being slighted that no one felt it necessary to put the time in to properly prune the canon. But I dig TR's optimism in that they could steadily bring stuff we love back. I'm apprehensive about the rumored Netflix series based in TOR. It could suck or it could be the greatest thing SW has ever done. Time will tell, and I won't know unless I at least give it a try.

Speaking of TOR, I'll admit that I can see some light in the purge. By wiping out pre-existing TOR stories, it has allowed for an "ironing" of plot wrinkles that I've had in the book I'm writing. Just have to convince Disney to publish it. Someone at Pop-con suggested publishing it under Legends. Are there any new Legends titles being released?

It really is never as simple as it should be, Disney bought Marvel too...but they can't use Deadpool or Wolverine in a film under their banner because the film rights belong to Fox.  As the example of Gaiman with Angela showed, even though he created the character to be under Image comics banner, he was able to sue and obtain the rights.  For Star Wars, lets say they Used Revan..with no changes subtle or otherwise.  Legally, even though he was a Star Wars character, he most likely solely belongs to Bioware.  If they wished to use him they would have to clear it legally with Bioware...unless they made some subtle changes to the character.  This, I think, is where they were at.  They didn't want to have to clear it with each company/creator to use these characters.  Even if this was just a secondary reason.  I did mention Thrawn, but it doesn't disprove my logic I feel sense I specified that Zahn was brought on board.  As far as I'm aware he's the only Old EU author to do so.  I have no doubt there was a bit of creative control reasons behind the decision But I don't think it was the whole. All we get is the announcement, not the meetings and talks that came before, So I can't say how easy or difficult it was for them to come to this decision. But I'm not a lawyer or their legal dept, so its just limited speculation.  Really, they are doing nothing that Lucas did not do.  Oh, Clone Wars was pre-Disney...can't blame that on them.  Tongue

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2378 on: July 13, 2017, 05:49:07 AM »

Just to set the record straight, the EU was never technically "canon". George was fine with it, but he had never read any of the books, nor had he ever said that it was canon. He simply didn't say that it wasn't. These are not just my words, these are his. Not direct quotes, but paraphrases from an interview portion that I saw with Lucas himself. I don't have any problem with people liking the EU more than the new DC, but just know, that it was never canon. There are things I love about the EU, and characters that I wish they would bring in. And they might do it, but the reason they resigned it all to "Legends", is so that they could pick and choose what they wanted to keep or use, and so that they could keep with Georges original (or as close as they could) design for the SW universe.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2379 on: July 13, 2017, 03:59:38 PM »

It really is never as simple as it should be, Disney bought Marvel too...but they can't use Deadpool or Wolverine in a film under their banner because the film rights belong to Fox.  As the example of Gaiman with Angela showed, even though he created the character to be under Image comics banner, he was able to sue and obtain the rights.  For Star Wars, lets say they Used Revan..with no changes subtle or otherwise.  Legally, even though he was a Star Wars character, he most likely solely belongs to Bioware.  If they wished to use him they would have to clear it legally with Bioware...unless they made some subtle changes to the character.  This, I think, is where they were at.  They didn't want to have to clear it with each company/creator to use these characters.  Even if this was just a secondary reason.  I did mention Thrawn, but it doesn't disprove my logic I feel sense I specified that Zahn was brought on board.  As far as I'm aware he's the only Old EU author to do so.  I have no doubt there was a bit of creative control reasons behind the decision But I don't think it was the whole. All we get is the announcement, not the meetings and talks that came before, So I can't say how easy or difficult it was for them to come to this decision. But I'm not a lawyer or their legal dept, so its just limited speculation.  Really, they are doing nothing that Lucas did not do.  Oh, Clone Wars was pre-Disney...can't blame that on them.  Tongue

The Wolverine and Deadpool thing makes perfect sense. They are tied to X-Men, which although is Marvel Comics, didn't come with the package of the MCU, and is still owned by Fox. As for Revan, I own the reprinted booked labeled "Legends". So it is still likely that the character falls under the blanket of SW. I had also heard a rumor that they had initially planned to incorporate Revan into Rey's Force vision, but didn't want to use Sith, and Revan is most easily recognized as:

But I also heard it rumored that the screaming children that she first heard were the cries of the younglings Vader slaughtered in the temple. So that kind of diminishes the thought of "no Sith" <snicker> plus they included that shot of the KoR, so the vision was not devoid of DS references.

And I was fully aware that TCW was pre-Disney. I'm confident that the only reason it survived was because of its rating and therefore popularity. This has been something that has actually made me like SWR a bit more than TCW; despite starting off very kids' show, it moves through periods of way heavier stuff. Stuff geared toward an older audience. And I truly appreciate the service paid to older fans. And who knows, maybe even after 30yrs of being in Disney's hands the wrinkles and bumps that irritate me so may finally be worked out in a sensible manner, and I will learn to love what they have rebuilt despite the rocky start. Grin Only time will tell, which is why I haven't jumped ship yet.

Of course I'm not the only one that is bent out of shape over the purge. I'm sure you've heard Seblaise's endorsments for me to be Pres. Tongue

Just to set the record straight, the EU was never technically "canon". George was fine with it, but he had never read any of the books, nor had he ever said that it was canon. He simply didn't say that it wasn't. These are not just my words, these are his. Not direct quotes, but paraphrases from an interview portion that I saw with Lucas himself. I don't have any problem with people liking the EU more than the new DC, but just know, that it was never canon. There are things I love about the EU, and characters that I wish they would bring in. And they might do it, but the reason they resigned it all to "Legends", is so that they could pick and choose what they wanted to keep or use, and so that they could keep with Georges original (or as close as they could) design for the SW universe.

So you've said before, but guess what? Lucas profited off of those EU writings by selling licensing rights to those authors to utilize characters and plots established in "his" canon. He made money on it which is as-good as accepting it as so. Points for calling it DC Grin, but the fans made it canon. The fans endeavored to make everything make sense. Plus, without the fans to buy the merch, read the books, play the games, and watch the movies Lucas/Disney have nothing. The fans may not be able to make a cent off it due to copyright laws, but IMO the fans are the true owners of the SW universe, OC and DC alike.

I wonder if Yoshiyuki Tomino had similar issues with his ego when Bandai wanted to expand the Gundam franchise. And you can't give any credence to George's "original" design, because if it was truly what he had intended, then he wouldn't have changed anything. Probably for the best he sold out. Before too long Luke would have been a woman. Tongue

Sig by For Tyeth

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2380 on: July 16, 2017, 07:13:42 AM »

Two things I noticed today while watching ROTJ. Sebastian Shaw is still listed in the credits as Anakin Skywalker, and the Jedi temple is still there. A few other random things like that you can see what the lines around things like TIE Fighters, and the Death Star as to where they where edited into the film.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2381 on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:13 PM »

Two things I noticed today while watching ROTJ. Sebastian Shaw is still listed in the credits as Anakin Skywalker, and the Jedi temple is still there. A few other random things like that you can see what the lines around things like TIE Fighters, and the Death Star as to where they where edited into the film.
That's because when Luke removes Vader's helmet, Hayden Christensen isn't under it.

You're referring to the matte lines? And with the Jedi Temple, you're obviously referring to those abysmal throwback shots for the redone ending. It's crap like that why I will never watch anything but the original cuts ever again.

Sig by For Tyeth

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2382 on: July 18, 2017, 03:52:23 AM »

That's because when Luke removes Vader's helmet, Hayden Christensen isn't under it.

You're referring to the matte lines? And with the Jedi Temple, you're obviously referring to those abysmal throwback shots for the redone ending. It's crap like that why I will never watch anything but the original cuts ever again.

I know why they did it, they are just things I had never noticed till this watching.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2383 on: July 18, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »

I know why they did it, they are just things I had never noticed till this watching.
Oh

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2384 on: July 20, 2017, 03:40:03 PM »

Always remember what Anakin did - destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force Wink
Why does everybody think that ALL lightside is "balanced"? Also remember what Yoda said: "A prophecy that misread may be." (Or something along those lines.) This leads me to conclude that he was the only Jedi with an inkling of the inevitable outcome. Plus if you read the Lost Tribe of the Sith, and later Omen, the Sith were merely "misplaced", "unaccounted", and "contained" for the most part. (I haven't read Omen yet, but plan to as the books are tied.) Plus, as long as there are artifacts that can teach an individual about the Sith, they shall endure.

Look at Ryloth. The Brightlands are scorched and lifeless. The Nightlands are frozen and lifeless. Only at the equator is there enough balance to sustain life.

You cannot know what is good without an understanding of evil. And you cannot survive the light without periodic rests in the darkness, and vice versa. One extreme will always destroy. Just as life that grows unchecked by death will eventually overpopulate to the point when all suffer.

Also heed the words of Darth Logos: "The brightest lights cast the darkest shadows."

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: