Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20   Go Down
Author Topic: New Obsidian Launcher Available (UPDATED 11/09/2021)  (Read 333628 times)
Jedijosh
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 105

Come back to the light side we have chips & Salsa

« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »

I will point out that the obsidian windows 8 has no problem doing the Emerald driver.

Sabers:
Aeon v2 (CG), Archon v2.1 (VA), Graflex CE (Obsidian Emerald), Guardian (Obsidian GB),

Wish list:
Azure Mantis, Arbiter, Bellicose in RGB, Chosen One CE, Consular in CG, Prophecy v3

MaxThunder
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #181 on: July 18, 2014, 11:32:33 AM »

Win 8 is known to have issues with the Launcher. Do you have access to a Win 7 PC, too? It doesn't have these driver and recognition problems.

i don't, no... is there any way i can get around this?..

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #182 on: July 18, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »

You can try to set up a virtual PC (e.g.  that runs with a legal Win 7 copy or you set up a dual boot system with both Win 8 and Win 7. Using the virtual PC is easier, although the commonly used recent version "Windows Virtual PC 6.1" is not working with Win 8. You will need a virtualization program that is compatible with Win 8. That's what I can suggest as a work-around so far Smiley

And Jedijosh is right, only the soundboard seems to have that problem. The Emerald Driver works fine with Win 8.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:02:55 PM by Racona Nova » Logged

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Kresnik
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #183 on: July 18, 2014, 03:48:17 PM »

when i connect my saber to my laptop it says it doesn't recognize the usb device... the obsidian launcher can't seem to find it either... i got windows 8, btw...

Are you turning saber on the plugging the USB cable in to saber then plugging into computer?

Also does your laptop have USB 2 and USB3 ?

I've seen quite a few issues with USB 3 connectivity

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

Jedijosh
Knight Commander

« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »

Are you turning saber on the plugging the USB cable in to saber then plugging into computer?

Also does your laptop have USB 2 and USB3 ?

I've seen quite a few issues with USB 3 connectivity
Huh? I could use some layman terms.

Sabers:
Aeon v2 (CG), Archon v2.1 (VA), Graflex CE (Obsidian Emerald), Guardian (Obsidian GB),

Wish list:
Azure Mantis, Arbiter, Bellicose in RGB, Chosen One CE, Consular in CG, Prophecy v3

eerockk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »

Huh? I could use some layman terms.

The new version of USB on Windows 8 seems to have issues with devices that are plugged into them - sometimes.

Win 8 is frustrating but cool, once you get the hang of it (I say as I've repaired a few comps with 8 on it). I have no problems with my Win 7 computers. If you don't want a PC that acts like a tablet though, stick with 7.

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Jedijosh
Knight Commander

« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2014, 08:48:03 PM »

Ok thank you Eerockk:). +1

Sabers:

Wish list:

AC5FF
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2014, 02:39:24 AM »

Does anyone have a problem running this on Windows 7 Home?
Regardless of how I run the program I get a USB Device not recognized.

From everything I have been able to find the board should run as a standard USB device and not require a driver.  However I just cannot get the device to recognize.  Two different computers, 6 different USB ports, nothing...   I have read through the thread here and just have not gotten a good feeling on how to get this to work.

I've only had the saber a day now; but would really like to get this working!

FYI: connecting to the sound board gives the same results...

Racona Nova
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2014, 04:44:56 PM »

You follow the usual procedure "Turn saber on - Connect cable to board - Connect cable to PC - Run Launcher as Admin"? I rarely heard about issues with Win 7...

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

RogerWilco
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »

I had trouble downloading the launcher with Firefox 30 on Windows XP, until I installed the DownloadThemAll extention.

When running the launcher, it got stuck on installing the .Net 4.0 framework. I ended up killing it with Ctrl-Alt-Del and then rebooting.
After that it seemed to work, and I can now connect to my saber.

Kanain
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »

UPDATE:  I thought this was in the Technical forum - was bouncing around the forum looking for updates to my issue or a solution.  I will move to a different thread if I find one applicable that is not an old thread.  Or Moderator, feel free to remove or move if you know of a proper location.

I've done a number of tests on different hardware and operating systems.  The issue I have experienced, like others have stated, is specific to the Obsidian Sound / Obsidian Launcher (different 3.x versions) losing connection to the saber - when you execute the launcher initially connects, shuts off the sound on the saber, and then immediately comes up with the Lost connect... Dialog box.  I have experienced this with both Win 7 and Win 8/8.1.

I have no issues when connected to a Win 8.1 desktop with a motherboard that only has USB 2.0 ports.  I have not yet been able to test the difference between xHCI and EHCI controllers/modes.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=17747.0

I hope to make time to test that myself.  But to date, I have been able to successfully run the sound side of the launcher on the Win 8.1 hardware (USB 2.0 ports) without issue.  I've tested in native running as admin and running under compatibility mode using different older OS and have been successful.  I will also repeat that connected to a USB 3.0 port using either Win 7 or Win 8, I can get it to recognise and add the HID device, labeled as Lightsaber in Devices, and get it to connect to the saber on Obsidian Launcher execution, then it drops the connection as soon as the app/routine shuts off/disables the sound on the saber.  Then, like others have stated, the USB cable must be disconnected (Emerald driver/LED still lit), saber powered off, and a battery removed/replaced before it will operate.

I will continue to test as time permits, because I am also having issues were in a param write is sometimes 'killing' my motion sounds.  I've successful had the Old Republic font downloaded to the saber, but in changing sensitivity params, somehow smacked some of the previously written sounds.  I'm not certain yet, but that issue is probably just self inflicted after frustrations of numerous lost connections in middle of sound writes.  That too, was self inflicted, because I had forgotten to disable OS power management on one of the USB 2.0 ports I was testing on.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:13:12 PM by Kanain » Logged

First Saber - The Guardian with Sound (Emerald)
Initiate LE  v3

T-Killaz
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2014, 06:40:08 AM »

ive had problems with the last version of this program on my Alienware Desktop windows 8, i havent tried this version yet but after not being succesful with the last version on that PC i tried it on a older PC and it worked great.

Not sure what the problem is.

Reaper With Sound - BR - Red AV Switch.
Phantom LE Initiate With Sound - VA - Silver AV Switch.
Scorpion With Sound - BR - Red AV Switch.
Initiate V2 LE - GB.
Initiate V3 - GB.
Mantis With Sound - BR - Red AV Switch.
Crimson Mantis - Emerald - Red AV Switch
Manticore CE - 2 Channel Emerald(July 2014 1st Place Raffle Winner)

Taerog
Force Sensitive

« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2014, 10:51:03 PM »

Just got my New saber and was having fun changing the color and now the sound font, then I found I could not load any sounds, then accidentally loaded no sounds which it was happy to do.

Now with no sounds on my new saber that was all of a few hours old I was getting worried.  Lucky computer literate (day job) I was able to determine that the Obsidian Launcher REQUIRES you to run it in Admin mode to copy the files - but not just writing parameter data (something that would be on the front page and help in BIG BOLD LETTERS - and looking here on the forum a few people seems to have also said as much) At least for win 7-8.

Also a possible workaround for People with USB 3.0 ports on a new laptop/desktop as they may find that there USB driver may not like talking to this sound Boards (and a few other USB devices - adafruit trinket is another) .  A easy workaround if you do not have any other USB 2 ports to use would be any USB 1-2 hub.  This will allow the device to be recognized and used etc. (correctly forces the USB 3 to go into legacy mode and not get confused on this device)

I am up and running again after that WTF moment Tongue

Kanain
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #193 on: August 18, 2014, 05:37:47 PM »

Taerog,

Glad you got your sound issues worked out.  I, too, had one of those WTF moments within an hour of having my saber.  In the limited time I've had to perform additional tests, the immediate disconnect after launching Obsidian sound launcher seems specific to USB 3.0 ports or permission related during a write, as you are aware.

People need to understand the need to run as administrator and possibly in compatibility mode if required.  Those two things should solve all but the port version issues.  Also, people should be aware of power management settings for their USB ports.  While normally not an issue, if you are messing with sounds or colors (Emerald) long enough, that can be an issue - as I found out.

Those familiar with device manager shouldn't have an issue checking the properties of their USB ports.  I won't go through steps in this post.  But if their are folks who continue to have sound issues, please feel free to email me and I can help you work through them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

First Saber - The Guardian with Sound (Emerald)
Initiate LE  v3

Ululant
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 22

« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2014, 12:09:20 AM »

Hi,  I am sorry to ask this question or make this comment as it has been in the 13 pages of post multiple times already.....  So I have a Mac... And I would like to know exactly what I have to buy to get this obsidian launcher working...  I have heard of virtual PC.... If this works then I guess I have to buy that and then do I still have to buy a windows program?  I suspect it may be cheaper to buy a cheaply cheap laptop already preloaded....  I wish there was a Mac version of this launcher...  In almost ten years this is the first time I have actually regretted switching to a Mac....  Thanks to any for the advice...  I have one techno guy at work who may be able to help so I will hit him up when gets back from vaca (figuratively speaking... Not actually wacking him with saber Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: