Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Was Rey using Form 2 (Makashi) when fighting Kylo Ren?  (Read 18166 times)
Connah
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light, Dark, both extremes annoy me

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 09:29:23 AM »

also remember she is losing right up until kylo says about teaching her the ways of the dark side, rey seems to be like "oh yeah the force I can use that" and then opens her mind to the force, I suppose it starts to guide her hand in a similar way to how the force lets jedi anticipate the course of blaster bolts for deflecting them

"there's no such thing as overkill. It's just making sure"

Dominix V4 VA with sound
Scorpion R+B Emerald with sound

Iram
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -292

Grey, leaning to the Dark Side

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 07:22:05 PM »

I totally agree that they are different weapons and fighting styles, however when your life is on the line, you will fight to live, which is why she ultimately prevailed.  Kylo got lazy and disregarded her and she knew that if she didn't fight her hardest she was dead. 
He'd also been shot by this point too.

BBL and proud!!!

My Sabers
Overlord (BR) Old Reliable w/ Obsidian v4 
Crimson Scorpion (VA)  w/ Obsidian v3  [Second Prize, 2016 Spring Raffle (1st)]
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (CG) Viridi Ignis 
Graflex SE (Emerald) w/Obsidian v4 [Won -50% off coupon April 2017]
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (BR)

WWJD?

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 07:27:05 PM »

He'd also been shot by this point too.

And his dominant shoulder had been slashed by Finn. I thought they did a great job of making it plausible that Rey could best him. There were a lot of outside influences and factors that affected the outcome, and I'm sure in Episode VIII we will learn more of what made Rey such a formidable opponent despite the experience difference between the two.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 06:26:48 AM »

I'm not so sure she was a complete noob. I have a theory that I won't get into here, but I think she did have some basic, rudimentary lightsaber and Force knowledge. It had been suppressed and reactivated through her interactions with Ren and the saber. That is what allowed her to fight with at least some technique and skill.

Hmmm...if you're thinking what I'm thinking, I'd say that's a possibility.

To the point about her weapon of choice versus the saber, do you think it might make her a saberstaff natural if/when she starts training in earnest?

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 01:27:28 PM »

To the point about her weapon of choice versus the saber, do you think it might make her a saberstaff natural if/when she starts training in earnest?

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Pinky?" "Yes, Brain, but if we change all of the P's to O's, my name would be Oinky."  Sorry, but I couldn't resist a good Pinky and the Brain quote.

I think a saber staff would be more natural to her, because she seemed very comfortable with it, but she also seemed pretty natural with the saber, too. I think she'll end up using the saber, primarily, but she'll have her staff as a backup. Kind of like how Luke didn't hesitate to use a blaster. He grew up with one and knew how to use it, but the saber ultimately be came his weapon of choice. I think fans have too strong a connection with that saber (and Luke's green one) to just let them go away. And I think this trilogy is definitely being made with the fans in mind more so than the prequels. So, I think they'll both stay.

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2015, 03:22:44 AM »

I don't think she was using Makashi. I think she was following the Neo-Zorro methodology.

Original Zorro - "Do you even know how to use a sword?"

Nu-Zorro - "Of course... The pointy end goes into the other man..."

HA HA, yes!

Iram
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 05:00:46 AM »

WHOA!! I hadn't even thought of this. That would make Rey even more awesome.

BBL and proud!!!

My Sabers
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (BR)

WWJD?

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 05:04:09 AM »

Don't forget something along the lines if the Saber Yari; that is even closer to mirroring her staff.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2015, 05:11:26 AM »

So what do you think her chosen blade color would be?

Guardian Blue? Sentinel Yellow? Consular Green? Viridian? Adegan Silver? DVA?

Personally, I think the Adegan Silver would suit her best.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2015, 05:21:39 AM »

One can always hope for Sentinel Yellow, but since Adegan Silver--or rather, white--is canon now, I'm with you Jev.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Iram
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 05:30:37 AM »

One can always hope for Sentinel Yellow, but since Adegan Silver--or rather, white--is canon now, I'm with you Jev.
IDK, I can see Rey with Consular Green.

BBL and proud!!!

My Sabers
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (BR)

WWJD?

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 04:08:33 PM »

She's gonna have red, just cuz it's flashy and awesome. Tongue

As to the title of this thread, I agree with TJ. Much of the ability she showed in this movie was more the Force guiding her actions, based off her will. 10-1 says she was just using Shii Cho.

I had this thought as well. Considering that she is already comfortable, NTM quite capable, using a staff, I think it would only be appropriate that they continue with that. Give her a saber staff. Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel partially slighted that the only saber staff we got to see on the big screen lasted maybe 10 min, then we never saw it again.   Sad

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Iram
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 06:52:44 PM »

She's gonna have red, just cuz it's flashy and awesome. Tongue

As to the title of this thread, I agree with TJ. Much of the ability she showed in this movie was more the Force guiding her actions, based off her will. 10-1 says she was just using Shii Cho.

I had this thought as well. Considering that she is already comfortable, NTM quite capable, using a staff, I think it would only be appropriate that they continue with that. Give her a saber staff. Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel partially slighted that the only saber staff we got to see on the big screen lasted maybe 10 min, then we never saw it again.   Sad
True, when she fought she did use wide sweeping attacks -- which are mainly used in Shii Cho.

BBL and proud!!!

My Sabers
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (BR)

WWJD?

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 01:21:11 AM »

This thought dawned on me today...

There has been a lot of conversation about Rey's fighting ability and how she could do what she did with no training.  Remember what happened when she found BB-8?  She was able to fend off a mounted creature using only a knife.  But, they clearly knew each other, based on her dialogue, and he wanted nothing to do with her.  Perhaps her fighting abilities were a bit more well known that we think.  Kind of like how Obi-Wan scares off the Tusken Raiders by just showing up.  They knew of what Anakin did to one of their entire tribes, and they didn't want to mess with him.  The jedi's reputation preceded Obi-Wan, just like Rey's reputation preceded her.

Just a thought.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 04:49:55 AM »

It was definitely channeling the ESB fight with Luke vs. Vader, but in this case the villain wasn't necessarily a master.  I wouldn't attach any Forms to this fight, since it's pretty clear that Kylo Ren had minimal training with a lightsaber.  He had a bit of experience and was fighting more on raw instinct, which was Rey's approach as well (minus the rage).

Oh, and I definitely hope she keeps the graflex... it would be awesome.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: