Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
Author Topic: COSPLAY 101: A Beginners Guide  (Read 72000 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: January 15, 2016, 07:54:42 PM »

Greeting fellow Jedi & Sith. If you are reading this then you are obviously interested in getting involved in cosplaying. However, if you are anything like me, you might have found the whole concept scary and confusing at first with no clear starting point. There are thousands of pages all over the internet dedicated to cosplay. I found that many of them are more geared towards the more experienced cosplayer rather than beginners, so I thought I would make this post as a guide to help you out.

This is more a guide for those who are new to cosplaying. It will include some information about the history of cosplaying and some handy tips and advice on things you will need to consider when making your costume. It is not a collection of places you can go to buy costumes or accessories, although there is a link to a saberforum thread that does have such a list (see bottom of the post for links).

PLEASE NOTE - I am by no means a professional cosplayer or costume designer. I have just done a LOT of research into cosplaying and wanted to share what I learned with other newbies. If you were undecided before about cosplaying, hopefully you might be inspired to actually do it.

MASSIVE THANKS - To both Darth Justicar and B1ondeange1 for their contributions. You're both awesome!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is Cosplaying: A Brief Introduction
The actual word "cosplay" was invented by a Japanese reporter in 1984 as a portmanteau of the English terms "costume" and "role-play". Nov Takahashi was sent to report on the goings-on of the '84 WorldCon, being held that year in Los Angeles, CA. He coined the word to help describe what he saw going on at WorldCon - people wearing costumes in the halls, and a stage masquerade featuring the biggest and brightest of the costumes of the weekend.

Even though cosplay as a pastime was around long before that weekend in 1984, the term has been used ever since and thanks to the explosion in geek culture and lots more media coverage, the pastime has increased massively in popularity.

(For more information on the history of cosplay
http://www.strangelandcostumes.com/history.html)

Who can Cosplay?
                            Says it all really.

Things to consider - Many people have been put off from even attempting to cosplay because of fear of ridicule/comments from others. You may encounter so-called "purists" that are not fans of universe crossovers, mashups or crossplay (women cosplaying as male characters for example) or people cosplaying as a character of a different ethnic origin. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you have a right to cosplay as absolutely any character you want to and never let anyone tell you differently. We're all fans and should be as inclusive as we can and you will find the vast majority of people you meet or chat with online are supportive and welcoming.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why do people Cosplay?
Everyone has there reason for wanting to cosplay. For some it is an outlet that allows them to learn new skills and express their creative side. For others it is a great way of meeting and networking with like-minded individuals. And some even do it to raise money for charity or to be a real life superhero for the day.

Whatever the reason for wanting to cosplay there are certain factors that need to be considered, most namely time, money, effort and overall, love. Even though for many cosplay is a hobby, it is a big commitment. However, for many it is worth it for a chance to showcase your love of a character, a movie universe or tv series and enjoy the satisfaction that comes of making something and having your efforts acknowledged.

Having a definite plan and a budget in place before you start can help you avoid over-spending and stopping the costume build before it is complete due to frustration.

Things to consider - Cosplay is supposed to be fun. It is okay to be nervous when attending a Convention for the first time as you can take some friends with you for moral support. Also, you might want to think about joining a costume group on Facebook. It's a great way to connect with other people and make friends with people who you can arrange to meet up with at a specific conventions.
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO MAKING A COSTUME
1 - Choose a costume
Believe it or not, this is a difficult stage in cosplay because a lot of people don't know what to cosplay or have difficulty deciding on some; there are so many great characters to choose from.

In Star Wars, you have choice between creating an original character or choosing one from canon. It's best to choose a character that you admire or are REALLY familiar with. Some people choose a character they physically resemble to dress like. Then you must ask: "which costume?". Some characters appear in several different costumes or costume variants. And finally, what kind of level of detail do you want to go to?

If you're a beginner with no experience of costuming, the easier the costume the better! Never underestimate costumes that look easy; they could turn out to be a nightmare.

Helpful hint - I found creating and writing down a full character backstory incredibly helpful when designing an original character.

2 - Research, Research, Research
Research is key. Go online and save pictures from as many angles as you can find. Also try and find drawings, sketches or screenshots, anything that you think can be of use. Numerous pictures makes it easier to create a costume that is as accurate as possible.

It also helps to find pictures of other people who do cosplay; it might inspire you with new ideas. Also, reference pictures are very useful when you need to purchase matching items (you can show the pictures to people and say "I need that wig" or "I need help finding that cloth" when you're shopping for materials).

Asking people questions on the forum is also a good way of finding out how they made/where they bought certain items.

Helpful hint - Probably the best website to find information on both canon and old expanded universe characters is www.starwars.wikia.com

3 - Budget
When it comes to cosplay I think there are three levels:

i) Beginner – the individual just wants to dress as the character.
ii) Intermediate – the individual wants to dress as a character, but make the overall aesthetic unique to them. Elements of the costume are bought and adapted or made from scratch.
iii) Advanced – Most of the costume is made.

As mentioned before, while cosplaying is a hobby, it can become expensive. But that depends on the kind of character you want to do and how much detail you want to include.

Some costumes have been made very cheaply using household items like painted cardboard. Some costumes have been professionally made by costume designers. This is where budget comes into play as well as your skill level/confidence sewing & glueing things.

3.1 - Bought vs Made Costumes

Not everyone enjoys sewing or spending years making a suit or armour. Some people are not comfortable or have no experience sewing. Therefore, one option for them to cosplay is to buy a costume or have a costume made for them rather than make it themselves. However, some people decide to challenge/push themselves and make the costume themselves.

Benefits of bought costumes:
There are two kinds of costumes you can buy; generic costumes and custom made.

Generic costumes are similar to a Halloween costume. You can find them on eBay and other sites. They will generally be mass produced and most likely won't be top quality. However, if you think it is better than what you can do, it is a quick and easy option.

Custom made costumes are made for you by costume designers. They can make a reality any costume design you can think of. The costume will be made really well with quality material and take anywhere from a few weeks to  a couple of months to make.

Benefits of making costumes (taken from a post written by B1ondeange1)
a) Cost
b) Fit- I have always had troubles getting clothes to fit my body shape properly, being female and all, and most off the shelf costumes are not designed for women who are that little bit bigger.
c) Satisfaction and enjoyment - I love making my own costumes and challenging what I am capable of.

PLEASE REMEMBER - There is no "right" or "wrong way!

3.2 - Monitor your spending!
Whether you decide to make your costume or have it made for you, just remember, whether you spend a lot or a little money on it doesn't mean it will or will not be good!  

If you are making costume, set out a chart of all the materials you'll need according to your references (cloth, paint, thread, footwear, wig, straps, leather etc) You may find out that the costume is currently out-of-reach with how much money you have, so plan wisely!

4 - Timing
Timing is everything. It is never too early to start making your costume. Measure the time between today and the day of the convention. General rule of thumb is to allow about 3-4 months to make a costume depending on how much time a day you spend on it. Although, it never hurts to finish it early (working last minute is NOT a fun thing to do).

One option is to get a calendar and write down what you plan to do on certain weeks and months (i.e. Spend this week sewing the pants, spend the next week sewing the shirt, spend the next month making the mask etc).

5 - Materials
Make a shopping list of everything you need for your costume. If you cannot get everything in one go, use your calendar (as mentioned in step 4) to determine what materials you can get right now.

There a number of craft stores and markets where you can pick up the materials you need. You can also get creative by visiting charity/thrift shops and purchasing cheap items that can be upcycled and used as part of your costume. That's a great way of getting material (sometimes very unique and original material) very cheaply.

Handy Tip: - Beware of what you buy. Some materials might be toxic, break easily or could become sun worn very easily. Also, each convention has rules about costumes and props. Make sure you are aware of what they are.

6 - Construction
Now is the time to buckle down and make the costume. There will be times when you get frustrated or stuck. Don't get disheartened. Stick to your plan and think about the end game - attending a convention in your very own costume.

7 - Completion
Once the costume is finished, take lots of pictures and post them proudly on the site.

8 - Go to the convention and have fun!
Trolls

"You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches." ― Dita Von Teese.

There will always be people who will rudely criticise you or make derogatory comments. Sometimes the criticisms aren't even about the costume or the character, but rather about things such as racism, sexism, slut-shaming, fatshaming, shaming cosplayers in wheelchairs, shaming cosplayers with visible physical indicators, and other forms of discrimination.

Talented cosplayer Darth Justicar had this to say on the subject when I asked her opinion:
"I almost wish I didn't have to write this last part, but there is something else I wanted to say about ladies in cosplay, from a female perspective.  Unfortunately this is a real problem I perceive in the cosplay world, and some of it owes to the way female characters are often depicted in the media.  It has to do with the overt sexualization that often feels as though it is expected of women.  Personally I wish we saw fewer instances of women feeling like they have to bare a lot of skin or make themselves uncomfortable to receive anyone's esteem.  It is not a requirement.  

For me, there are clear limits on what I would do.  If I would not feel comfortable if pictures of me somehow leaked out and were seen by my coworkers and boss, I won't do it.  Not to mention my area's cons are in the cool seasons and I am not about to freeze for fashion.  I also take the character's own emphasis on sexuality into account, even though I am playing a male character, since if there is one thing I personally cannot stand, it's sexualizing an outfit for absolutely no reason.

In a nutshell, there is more than one approach for ladies in cosplay.  But just like with accuracy, make sure you are completely comfortable with what YOU are doing, and do not ever feel the need to settle for other people's expectations."

Obviously derogatory comments are tantamount to bullying and such things are never acceptable, but it can be a massively blow to confidence if you are on the receiving end of such comments.

If it happens at a convention, thankfully many of them take great pride in being safe spaces, with strict guidelines in place, and security on-site to assist with situations. If someone ever says or does something that makes you uncomfortable, tell them, even if they're wearing a media or staff badge, or a celebrity guest, tell them. If it happens online reporting, blocking and banning are useful tools, so never be afraid to use them.

Haters gonna hate. This is a topic I could write about for hours, however, keep in mind that trolls are very much in a minority; the rest of the cosplay community and convention going public will no doubt appreciate your costume, so wear it with pride.
List of handy sites/saberforum threads
Costume buying guide - A place where you can find costume designers/websites for your costume
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11068.0

Guide to specific Star Wars costumes - A place where you can find information on making specific Star Wars costumes
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=13555.0

Belt pouch tutorial - Cosplaying as a Jedi or Sith? You'll need a pouch. Why not make your own.
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=14403.0

Star Wars costume groups - Offical Lucasfilm approved costuming group that raise money for charity
501st/Rebel Legion - http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=15850.0

Sith costuming group - A costuming group that welcomes original Sith costumes
The Dark Empire - http://www.thedarkempire.org/

Movie Costumes - An interview with the costumer design from Star Wars: The Force Awaken
http://tyrannyofstyle.com/star-wars-force-awakens-costume-design
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:06:51 PM by Darth Knox » Logged

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 07:55:57 PM »

Authenticity vs Creativity
One of the biggest pet peeves among some cosplayers is accuracy. They feel by not paying attention to details of the characters costume, those cosplayers are doing the character a disservice. However, on the flip side of the coin, there is the argument for originality: sacrificing an accurate portrayal of the character in favour of being creative and brining something original to the table.

So the question is this: At what point does a costume stop being an homage to a beloved character and become simply an "inspired" piece or even a completely "original" piece? For an answer, let me introduce talented cosplayer Darth Justicar.

"When it comes to screen accuracy versus a creative cosplay approach with more leeway, I don't think there's a single right answer for this for every cosplayer.  We all have different budgets, different comfort levels, and different talents.  The point of it all is to have fun, and if it's causing you stress then you don't need to subject yourself to whatever it is that is making you feel that way.  Sometimes the "right answer" isn't even the same every time, for the very same person.

I've taken both approaches, as a female cosplayer who has only ever played male characters.  One of the interesting things about playing a character of a different gender, race, or physical appearance, is that depending on what approach you decide to take with it, you really can run with the leeway this gives you.  

In two cases, I've chosen to create a female version of the character, which gave me some incredible leeway to build the costume around wardrobe items--especially my Lady Sherlock look, a cosplay that happened quite by accident when someone pointed out that my hair resembled the BBC version of the character, and it then hit me that I had ladies' versions of almost every clothing item that was part of the iconic BBC Sherlock look, in my work wardrobe.  

For a brand-new cosplayer especially, or someone with a strict budget to adhere to, this can be a great way to take away some of the self-perceived pressure to achieve an exact look.

Most recently though, I've decided to try a closer-to-accurate look with another cosplay--Kylo Ren.  Even there I have to realize I'm not going to look exactly like I walked off of the screen.  I'm not 6'3", and I'm definitely not the right gender.  But if you are aiming for a more accurate look in a situation like this, in my opinion the best favour you can do yourself is to ensure that whether you feel up to doing it yourself, or you commission a costume, that your outfit fits you.  

Whatever your physique is, whether you're totally happy with it or you wish some things about it were different, good tailoring is going to make you feel like you own that outfit, like you belong in it, and that really is more than half the game right there.  This can get pricey depending on how far you decide to push it--so my only recommendation is that if you are planning to do this, do it not because someone is pressuring you or because you feel like your look is not "good enough" somehow.  Do it because you love the idea of being that character so much that you want to on your own."

Things to remember - The devil is in the details. Small accessories like pouches and straps can be the difference between a "good" costume and a "great" costume.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:07:53 PM by Darth Knox » Logged

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 08:10:25 PM »

Delightful thread, Knox. It is very well put together. +1

I support this being "stickied."  Grin

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:11:45 PM »

Delightful thread, Knox. It is very well put together. +1

I support this being "stickied."  Grin

Thank you. it turned out really well. I'd be honoured if it was "stickied."

Rogu3Wo1f
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 25

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 02:34:02 AM »

Something to consider as well with costumes.

'Do I want it now? Or do I want it perfect? And do I want to do it cheaply?'

You can only pick two of those, chose wisely and be patient.

Art cannot be rushed.

Why is the fear of being afraid acceptable by the Jedi Order?

skullsquadronx
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -183

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 06:00:43 AM »

Darth Knox Like what you did here, point to you+1.

11/15 (2)Ravens SS VA (ED&O4) 12/15 Mantis ce AB (ED&O4) 06/16 Flamberge v2 AS (ED&O4) 06/16 Initiate v4 CG 07/16 Mantis ce AB (ED&O4) 07/16 D Initiate v4 AB 09/16 Archon v3 EG (ED&O4) 09/16 Initiate le v2 CG 09/16 D Apprentice le v4 FO 09/16 Dominix v4 GB 10/16 Electrum Wind DVA (ED&O4) 10/16 Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 GB 10/16 Aeon v3 AB 11/16 Aeon v4 AB 04/17 Emperor's Hand DVA (DC) 04/17 Dark Standard Issue Battle Saber tri CG & O litell 04/17 Initiate le v2 GB

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 10:56:07 AM »

Darth Knox Like what you did here, point to you+1.

Thanks for the point.

Something to consider as well with costumes.

'Do I want it now? Or do I want it perfect? And do I want to do it cheaply?'

You can only pick two of those, chose wisely and be patient.

Art cannot be rushed.

I agree with all those questions.
And great art cannot be rushed. But the waiting sucks! Lol Grin

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »

Roband
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -38

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 05:28:08 AM »

Brilliant Description; only thing I would add is that for the hobyist; it is
Cos-PLAY
rather than Cos-Work

so, unless somebody is paying you for an appearance; if you are going to a convention  dressed as your favorite character to enhance your enjoyment, nobody has a right to tell you wether you are doing it "right" or "wrong" you are dressing up fro your own enjoyment and experience, so take any and all criticism with a grain of salt, and do what brings YOU pleasure out of the hobby.

PASSION, yet PEACE
SERENITY, yet EMOTION
CHAOS, yet ORDER
THE FORCE, in BALANCE

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 11:52:44 AM »

Brilliant Description; only thing I would add is that for the hobyist; it is
Cos-PLAY
rather than Cos-Work

so, unless somebody is paying you for an appearance; if you are going to a convention  dressed as your favorite character to enhance your enjoyment, nobody has a right to tell you wether you are doing it "right" or "wrong" you are dressing up fro your own enjoyment and experience, so take any and all criticism with a grain of salt, and do what brings YOU pleasure out of the hobby.

Well said. Point to you

Rogu3Wo1f
Knight Ensign

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 04:22:30 PM »

Just to answer your question on another thread, I have checked this out Darth Knox.

Also, it's important for Beginners to know, that sometimes places like The RPF, Rebel Legion and 501st can be quite elitist and sometimes it's best to not worry too much about their opinions.

Cosplay is supposed to be a fun hobby and a skill you develop from small beginnings and doing what you can with the skills you have and the help you can get from threads like this. So don't worry too much if the Rebel Legion freaks out because the crinkles in your tunic aren't 'correct' just do what you want for the character you want and have fun.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 04:45:27 PM »

Just to answer your question on another thread, I have checked this out Darth Knox.

Also, it's important for Beginners to know, that sometimes places like The RPF, Rebel Legion and 501st can be quite elitist and sometimes it's best to not worry too much about their opinions.

Cosplay is supposed to be a fun hobby and a skill you develop from small beginnings and doing what you can with the skills you have and the help you can get from threads like this. So don't worry too much if the Rebel Legion freaks out because the crinkles in your tunic aren't 'correct' just do what you want for the character you want and have fun.

Oh most definitely. I was surprised at how strict their costume rules are. I understand that they want everyone to strive for "screen accuracy" but I found it very off-putting as I didn't feel I could make a costume to their standards without spending an absolute fortune (and I just want to dress up and have fun at a convention). You're definitely right that beginners might not be best off not worrying about the big established costume groups.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 04:53:06 PM »

I wouldn't say that they are elitists so much as perfectionists.

The 501st and Rebel Legion have an image to uphold and are very much in the public eye given their direct affiliation with official Star Wars events, so they want their members to have the best costumes. They are picky because they HAVE to be in order to maintain that relationship and enjoy their official sanctioning by Lucasfilm.

As a member of The RPF, I feel I can say that they are not elitist at all. They are very welcoming to newcomers and are perfectly willing to offer advice, but you have to be wiling to do the research and put in the hours to do it. They aren't going to spoon feed it to you. Many of the members are industry professionals and have LOTS of experience making professional costumes and props actually used in Hollywood. Even Adam Savage is a member (though he rarely posts). This level of costuming and prop making is why they are perfectionists. Their careers depend on it, and "good enough" just isn't going to cut it. That said, most of the members, like myself, do it for fun and are also willing to help each other out.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 04:59:26 PM »

The 501st and Rebel Legion have an image to uphold and are very much in the public eye given their direct affiliation with official Star Wars events, so they want their members to have the best costumes. They are picky because they HAVE to be in order to maintain that relationship and enjoy their official sanctioning by Lucasfilm.

As a member of The RPF, I feel I can say that they are not elitist at all. They are very welcoming to newcomers and are perfectly willing to offer advice, but you have to be wiling to do the research and put in the hours to do it. They aren't going to spoon feed it to you. Many of the members are industry professionals and have LOTS of experience making professional costumes and props actually used in Hollywood. Even Adam Savage is a member (though he rarely posts). This level of costuming and prop making is why they are perfectionists. Their careers depend on it, and "good enough" just isn't going to cut it. That said, most of the members, like myself, do it for fun and are also willing to help each other out.

That's all good information for newbies to know, which is why I started this thread: as a guide to help newbies from feeling overwhelmed

Rogu3Wo1f
Knight Ensign

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 05:04:54 PM »

I'm a member there too, and for the most part, it's a pretty friendly community, obviously everywhere have people that will look down on you for not being a professional costume designer and so on. Sometimes though, the level of perfection that some members have can be a little intimidating, at least to beginners.

I felt it was just important for beginners to not be too concerned with meeting the same sort of standards as professional Cosplayers. I meant no offence to the RPF as I appreciate the input I get from users there.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: