Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Saber Venting  (Read 22016 times)
Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« on: July 28, 2016, 08:40:11 PM »

Official sources call Kylo's sidebars 'vents'. Unofficial conversation says the sidebars can be used for various dueling techniques. Do official sources have Kylo using the sidebars as short saber blades? What I mean is, do they have their own magnetic field to behave as a 'solid' blade like the main blade does, or are they just hot? I see Kylo burns Rey with the vent, but would the vents engage a saber's blade or just pass through?

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 04:50:37 AM »

Perhaps I shouldn't have called this 'Saber Venting'. People will think it's complaining about sabers. Curse my enjoyment of double meanings.  Cry

Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 163

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 11:21:38 PM »

The 'vents' on the saber, I think, would actually engage another blade and could possibly be used to parry.  Perhaps the earliest ones weren't able to, but then someone saw potential there and said you know...

In the scene where Kylo Ren burns Rey, it looks like it actually stabs into her shoulder. Another reason to believe they would be useful in other ways.

I have but four enemies: Envy, Lust, Greed and Lethargy...

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 01:01:46 AM »

He didn't burn Rey...he burned Finn

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 03:36:53 AM »

Indeed.

Whether he actually stabbed Finn with it or just burned him, it looked like it hurt like hell.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 12:46:23 PM »

It looked like how a blow torch would act.  Not really a stab or a slice..but basically melting the flesh away.  Real life it would probably only hurt immensely for a few seconds until shock set it.  But the wound would be horrific....and the smell.

Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 01:11:53 PM »

I guess this officially settles it. It has been too many days since the last time I watched this movie.

The end point is that the little 'vents' coming out of the sides appear to be made of the same stuff the main blade is. And should function in the same manner. If not, it's a stylistic thing that then becomes a complete waste of space.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 03:32:55 PM »

Disney states repeatedly, it's a vent for excess energy of the cracked crystal. From what I've seen, my question has not been officially addressed.

If you can't see it resized on the forum... http://i.stack.imgur.com/RzjVa.jpg

It's not the plasma that makes it behave like a 'solid' blade, but the magnetic field containing the plasma. Logically, a vent doesn't have a magnetic field to recycle the plasma the same way a non vented blade does. Recycling the energy would just keep the energy in excess. But, as it's fiction, they can do as they please. I see no explicit use of it that demonstrates it is a short blade. Perhaps the energy is too much for one blade, so more blades distribute energy. However, a 'vent' implies a different function than another blade. It's also stated the timing is different. The label of 'quillon' fits the appearance, but doesn't address what I'm wanting to know. It is stated that the metal crossguard vent shrouds protect the hand from the vent. Many have pointed out that these shrouds could still be cut. If they were, the vent could either explode or vent unguided and burn the user. Many others are assuming the appearance makes it a blade. But, I don't see a blade. I see energy forced out of a tube that burns for several inches.

I'll just wait until something official confirms people's assumptions that the quillon protects the hands and could be used as a 'solid' blade, adding the possible combat techniques many expect without seeing Kylo utilize.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 05:34:34 PM »

That poster is probably the closest you're going to get to something "official" on the subject.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 06:06:23 AM »

It really seems that the excess energy is vented out of tubes on the side that would need to be resistant to lightsaber plasma energies in order to protect the hands. But, no magnetic energy would be involved, so the vented energy would not parry as if solid against another saber blade. The vent tubes themselves might as saber resistant materials, but not the side bar energy.

The quillons just make a different look and the cracked crystal is a parallel of Kylo's volatile nature. It makes more sense that he didn't utilize them in any great technique, because they don't add much function other than shoulder burning, which could as easily burn him. I've been practicing with one, and it's just a minor hindrance to free movement.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 11:55:40 AM »

If you have any training in European Longsword it's not hard to not hit yourself with the quillions.  The issue so many were having was that Lightsabers have always been used like Katana or Classical Fencing (with Wushu thrown in when Ray came into it) and people (who had no HEMA experience) were just thrown for a loop.  Kylo more than once went into Longsword techniques, mind you not 100% but close enough.  Here's what I hope to find out.  It's been establish both in the TFA Visual Dictionary and Rebels the crosshilt is an ancient design.  The Vents bleed off the excess energy from the cracked Kyber Crystal, so was it a design of Necessity or aesthetics.  Real life weapons usually had a bit of both in their development.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 12:30:24 PM »

There it is...

-1 Darth Tepes

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 03:27:37 PM »

In response to the OP,

Champagne was an accident, but it didn't stop people from drinking it or recreating it.

What I'd like to know (before I truly gripe about it), do the guards actually have emitters or are they pure vented energy. If they in fact have the field emitters to contain the energy in a blade form, well done concept-thinker-people. If it was just something that wasn't fully thought through, then, yet again, boo to Disney/Abrams.

It would make sense though, that in order to keep from rapidly depleting the sabers energy that these vents would need field emitters to recycle the diverted energy. So then the need to compensate for the defective crystal then results in a new functionality. I'm beginning to like this saber more. Wink

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 04:47:44 PM »

Disney states repeatedly, it's a vent for excess energy of the cracked crystal. From what I've seen, my question has not been officially addressed.

If you can't see it resized on the forum... http://i.stack.imgur.com/RzjVa.jpg

It's not the plasma that makes it behave like a 'solid' blade, but the magnetic field containing the plasma. Logically, a vent doesn't have a magnetic field to recycle the plasma the same way a non vented blade does. Recycling the energy would just keep the energy in excess. But, as it's fiction, they can do as they please. I see no explicit use of it that demonstrates it is a short blade. Perhaps the energy is too much for one blade, so more blades distribute energy. However, a 'vent' implies a different function than another blade. It's also stated the timing is different. The label of 'quillon' fits the appearance, but doesn't address what I'm wanting to know. It is stated that the metal crossguard vent shrouds protect the hand from the vent. Many have pointed out that these shrouds could still be cut. If they were, the vent could either explode or vent unguided and burn the user. Many others are assuming the appearance makes it a blade. But, I don't see a blade. I see energy forced out of a tube that burns for several inches.

I'll just wait until something official confirms people's assumptions that the quillon protects the hands and could be used as a 'solid' blade, adding the possible combat techniques many expect without seeing Kylo utilize.

I just noticed this... but in that poster zoom in on the vented energy... It is officially labeled as 'Quillon Plasma Blade' SO, if the poster was something produced by Disney and not fan created then there's the answer.

It would make sense though, that in order to keep from rapidly depleting the sabers energy that these vents would need field emitters to recycle the diverted energy. So then the need to compensate for the defective crystal then results in a new functionality. I'm beginning to like this saber more. Wink

Also, this^^ otherwise the vented energy would extend out indefinitely and ultimately make the main blade ineffectual.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 07:15:40 PM »

Also, this^^ otherwise the vented energy would extend out indefinitely and ultimately make the main blade ineffectual.

Considering that they are just vents, I don't think the energy would have gone out indefinitely but rather dissipated at a distance similar to the quillion. Also keep in mind that Ren's crystal is of inferior quality (cracked) which A) necessitates the vents and B) results in it's unstable lightning-like appearance. A good crystal would produce a more laser like beam that possible could go on in perpetuity without the field, but the power cell would rapidly drain.

The emitted fields on all 3 blades prevent this...

Have you ever wondered why we never see a Jedi wall hugging?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: