Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down
Author Topic: The Movie Chat Thread  (Read 56793 times)
LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 06:01:39 AM »

The Princess Bride only came out 7 years before Pulp Fiction. In terms or cultural footprint, Pulp Fiction influenced not only a whole generation of filmmakers, directors and writers, but changed how movie dialogue and linear storytelling was used in cinema as a whole. That's a pretty big footprint right there.

filmmakers, directors and writers

There's your key there. PULP FICTION impacted filmmakers much more than PRINCESS BRIDE, but in the larger pop culture sphere I think PRINCESS BRIDE is bigger.

Like, if I quote PULP FICTION I'll get mostly quizzical looks with maybe one or two guys that know, but if I quote THE PRINCESS BRIDE a bunch of people will smile knowingly.

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 06:03:27 AM »

How many of you have watched the Horatio Hornblower series? And what did you think of it?

Personally I loved it. I didn't like a couple of them, but I think I would if I watched them again.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 06:04:57 AM »

There's your key there. PULP FICTION impacted filmmakers much more than PRINCESS BRIDE, but in the larger pop culture sphere I think PRINCESS BRIDE is bigger.

Like, if I quote PULP FICTION I'll get mostly quizzical looks with maybe one or two guys that know, but if I quote THE PRINCESS BRIDE a bunch of people will smile knowingly.

Even though it's bigger than this - I see Pulp Fiction as a boutique film in a sense, more niche and catering to a narrower audience as far as popularity goes.  But that's part of what makes it good IMO.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 06:05:11 AM »

Just watched Dead Pool for the first time tonight and I enjoyed it.

Being a husband and father, I can't stomach sexual content or gory violence anymore which I prefer not to anyways. 

Thanks to Netflix I was able to skip by the scenes that kept me from this movie and enabled me to enjoy the aspects of Marvel I like seeing on the big screen.

Best movie iteration of Colossus I've seen who has been one of my favourite X-men for years.  Didn't enjoy how slow he was in a fight, but the actual rendering and character was nice.

Even though Dead Pool is crass it was "tasteful" for movie going and Ryan Reynolds was a lot of fun.  I've enjoyed him being more and more active in leading roles.  
I think DEADPOOL was the best CBM of last year, which is more of a reflection on the rest of the movies than DEADPOOL's quality. It's a really nice little movie though, and I LOVE his relationship with Vanessa.

Like you though, I don't have as much of a stomach for strong content that I used to. I've become especially sensitive to violence lately (although I still watch it).

Deadpool was the best CBM of 2016 and one of the best of all time. Unlike you guys, I still LOVE violent movies. I have been a lifelong horror movie fan, so gore and violence are second nature to me. Obviously there are times when I want a well told story, or a comedy or whatever, but violence/gore is still very much a favourite of mine. That's probably why I love Tarnatino's movies so much.

As for Deadpool crassness, I've read many of his comics so didn't find the movie crass at all, but I can see why others may view it in those terms. Individual sensibilities will always be a determining factor when it comes to movie content.

How many of you have watched the Horatio Hornblower series? And what did you think of it?

Personally I loved it. I didn't like a couple of them, but I think I would if I watched them again.
DUDE! This is a "MOVIE" chat thread. Not tv.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 06:06:36 AM »

Just watched Dead Pool for the first time tonight and I enjoyed it.

Being a husband and father, I can't stomach sexual content or gory violence anymore which I prefer not to anyways. 

Thanks to Netflix I was able to skip by the scenes that kept me from this movie and enabled me to enjoy the aspects of Marvel I like seeing on the big screen.

Best movie iteration of Colossus I've seen who has been one of my favourite X-men for years.  Didn't enjoy how slow he was in a fight, but the actual rendering and character was nice.

Even though Dead Pool is crass it was "tasteful" for movie going and Ryan Reynolds was a lot of fun.  I've enjoyed him being more and more active in leading roles.  

Haven't seen it, my 5 year old has.
Before you say WTF, don't blame me. My mom was watching him last year and my mother(I love her) is very naive and just buys to buy. She bought Deadpool just cuz it came out and she thought, "well, I'm going to be watching him and he needs something to watch". So she put it on for him and my dad and left to the store. My dad(god bless his soul) loves the movie, but has no common sense to say "oh, maybe this isn't good".
Total fail.

No points, just fist bumps baby!

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 06:08:11 AM »

Haven't seen it, my 5 year old has.
Before you say WTF, don't blame me. My mom was watching him last year and my mother(I love her) is very naive and just buys to buy. She bought Deadpool just cuz it came out and she thought, "well, I'm going to be watching him and he needs something to watch". So she put it on for him and my dad and left to the store. My dad(god bless his soul) loves the movie, but has no common sense to say "oh, maybe this isn't good".
Total fail.

Totally have to watch my in-laws like a hawk for the exact same reason!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 06:09:09 AM »

That may be an age/location thing. I can quote either films in mixed company and the people I hang around with will still get the references. However, as The Princess Bride is family friendly, that will always have a wider audience appeal.

Even though it's bigger than this - I see Pulp Fiction as a boutique film in a sense, more niche and catering to a narrower audience as far as popularity goes.  But that's part of what makes it good IMO.
True, as there are many of the average movie goer who would not see a Tarantino movie purely because of the level of violence, language and liberal use of the N-word.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 06:12:06 AM »

DUDE! This is a "MOVIE" chat thread. Not tv.

Yes. They are a series of 8 movies. Not a tv show. Just like the SW movies could be referred to as a series.

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 06:12:21 AM »

Wow you guys talk a lot.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 06:12:54 AM »

That may be an age/location thing. I can quote either films in mixed company and the people I hang around with will still get the references. However, as The Princess Bride is family friendly, that will always have a wider audience appeal.

I think the real answer underlying this conversation is, "LB needs better friends." Cheesy

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 06:14:18 AM »

Yes. They are a series of 8 movies. Not a tv show. Just like the SW movies could be referred to as a series.
They were released on tv in the Uk as an ongoing series, hence my comment

I think the real answer underlying this conversation is, "LB needs better friends." Cheesy
well, I didn't want to say it, because it would be rude!  Cheesy

Wow you guys talk a lot.
This is what it means to be a film fan, movie buff or cinephile

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 06:16:07 AM »

They were released on tv in the Uk as an ongoing series, hence my comment

I didn't know that. I watched them as movies.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 06:17:45 AM »

I just saw Logan got a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 96%! Wtf

No points, just fist bumps baby!

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 06:19:50 AM »

94% currently! With 97 collected reviews and an average rating of 8.1/10. I've been reading nothing but good things about it. Grin

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 06:22:11 AM »

94% currently! With 97 collected reviews and an average rating of 8.1/10. I've been reading nothing but good things about it. Grin
^^ Ditto. Some people are saying it is even deserving of an Oscar nomination for best picture at next year's awards.

It comes out here today (it's currently 6.20am in London) but i won't have the cash to go see it until Friday. It is one of my most anticipated movies of 2017 though

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: