Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 2959 2960 [2961] 2962 2963 ... 3562   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Thoughts of Members (anything goes...well with in forum rules)  (Read 4880082 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #44400 on: October 16, 2017, 11:47:16 PM »

Always expect the worst. Then you can only be pleasantly surprised.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #44401 on: October 16, 2017, 11:51:58 PM »

Two more from Sucker Punch:

"For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know."

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #44402 on: October 17, 2017, 02:00:55 AM »

Forgive me for seemingly being a "downer" but there are so many "inspirational" quotes out there, and I can pick every one of them apart. Don't get me wrong, if they help you; that's great.  I will never sneer at someone who finds merit in these words.  But for me, they are hollow.  Here is how I see the world.  We're all playing Poker.  Sometimes you get a good hand but sometimes you get a bad hand and are forced to fold.  But that's ok, it sucks but you still have enough chips to play again and maybe you win a few hands and get a few more chips.  But there are those players who never win.  Either they just played poorly or they played as good as they knew how, but it wasn't enough.  Now they are sitting at the table with very few to no chips to play anymore.  So, they are stuck.  It happens...a lot.  I'll leave it at that.  I apologize if I've appeared overly negative, I've just gotten to the point where I would rather admit the Ugly Truth than believe a Beautiful Lie.  Again, this is just my views.  G'night everyone.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #44403 on: October 17, 2017, 04:26:10 AM »

when all else fails, put a 2 story AT-AT in the front yard!

http://krqe.com/2017/10/16/homes-star-wars-decoration-attracts-visitors/

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #44404 on: October 17, 2017, 07:00:51 AM »

Forgive me for seemingly being a "downer" but there are so many "inspirational" quotes out there, and I can pick every one of them apart. Don't get me wrong, if they help you; that's great.  I will never sneer at someone who finds merit in these words.  But for me, they are hollow.  Here is how I see the world.  We're all playing Poker.  Sometimes you get a good hand but sometimes you get a bad hand and are forced to fold.  But that's ok, it sucks but you still have enough chips to play again and maybe you win a few hands and get a few more chips.  But there are those players who never win.  Either they just played poorly or they played as good as they knew how, but it wasn't enough.  Now they are sitting at the table with very few to no chips to play anymore.  So, they are stuck.  It happens...a lot.  I'll leave it at that.  I apologize if I've appeared overly negative, I've just gotten to the point where I would rather admit the Ugly Truth than believe a Beautiful Lie.  Again, this is just my views.  G'night everyone.

I like your poker metaphor

Here, we have a famous quotation from a guy called Antoine de St Exupery (I do not know if he is known oversea). This guy lived in the early XXth, he was an writer, a poet .... and a warbird pilot.

Once, he was in a train and he look at a family of poor worker composed by the father, the mother and a little baby that was 3 y.o. He saw, as the baby seemed to be happy, that his parents were tired of their life and unhappy ... Because they were tired, they asked to their baby to shut up ...

Antoine de St Exupery thought that the life of this little baby, only 3 y.o., was already determined by his birth. He thought about Mozart who, at the age of 3, was already a good musician because of his own talent but also because of his parents. He thought that the 3 y.o. baby in the train, even if he has talent, will never be famous because talent is not enough if you are born in the wrong place/class/family.

So, considering this little baby in the train he said:

"This is Mozart that is assassinated"  

I love this quotation because i think that it is sadly and unfortunately mainly true. Of course and fortunatly we have example of people that come from poor family and have a great life but not enough.

As an academic, every year, i discuss with teenager that are good, very good ... they dream about coming to the university but they do not come because they say:"University is not for me, i am not from the good type of people ..."

I think it is sad ... and it make me anger ... i try to fight against that on my level ... and many times, i have to fight against the parents of these good teenagers ... Parents that say :"No, University is not for our son/daughter!!!"

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #44405 on: October 17, 2017, 02:00:02 PM »

This, unfortunately is not reality, at least not many people's reality.  There are many ambitious and talented people out there who are stuck, for a plethora of reasons.  In this day and age, skillset is a main sticking point.  Time another.  Without going into to much personal detail I can vouch for both of these.  I don't really see it as a "victim" mindset either, that entails it's someone's fault.  Someone screwed you over.  I don't think that at all.  While there were events sometimes involving others I don't think for a second they did it on purpose.  
To quote a notable Jedi, "Your focus determines your reality." If you focus on the negative, your reality is negative. If you focus on what holds you back, it will continue to hamper your progress. If you focus on potential, hope will endure. I'm not one for spouting a bunch of new-age-hippy drivel, but this I have experienced first hand.

Too many times I see people boo-hooing because their situation sucks because they made bad choices. Mainly "I dicked around and quit high school, now I can't find a job that pays diddly." Well, I see 2 options: you pull yourself out of the muck, work harder and learn new skills, and move up in the world; or you stay where you are and bellyache about how "life" gave you a raw deal. In either situation, the individual has made a choice: grow or stagnate, but they have chosen it.

As a creature of severe habit, I understand that stepping out into the unknown is scary and often uncomfortable, even if the end results are a better situation. Familiarity is a powerful sedative that many are addicted to.

Now yes, there are some times when we are faced with situations we actually didn't choose. But then those offer us new choices. Do we let circumstance bitch slap us and keep us down, or do we rise up and kick it in the balls?

My God... SERIOUSLY, man. It's like we were separated at birth.
Grin Are we two sides of the same double headed coin?

Always expect the worst. Then you can only be pleasantly surprised.
The bright side to pessimism?

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
Love this.

Forgive me for seemingly being a "downer" but there are so many "inspirational" quotes out there, and I can pick every one of them apart. Don't get me wrong, if they help you; that's great.  I will never sneer at someone who finds merit in these words.  But for me, they are hollow.  Here is how I see the world.  We're all playing Poker.  Sometimes you get a good hand but sometimes you get a bad hand and are forced to fold.  But that's ok, it sucks but you still have enough chips to play again and maybe you win a few hands and get a few more chips.  But there are those players who never win.  Either they just played poorly or they played as good as they knew how, but it wasn't enough.  Now they are sitting at the table with very few to no chips to play anymore.  So, they are stuck.  It happens...a lot.  I'll leave it at that.  I apologize if I've appeared overly negative, I've just gotten to the point where I would rather admit the Ugly Truth than believe a Beautiful Lie.  Again, this is just my views.  G'night everyone.
You're close with the poker analogy, but you forgot the one fundamental truth about poker: It has less to do with how you play the cards you're dealt, and more to do with how you play the other players. I'm not suggesting that you live dishonestly and cheat, but winning is a mentality. If I am truly happy with my mediocre job, and the small fun times that I get, and that nothing ever really upsets my routine, how am I doing worse than someone that has untold millions, and the media in their face 24/7, and drug/alcohol problems?  Undecided

I keep saying it: There is NO cookie-cutter recipe for success in life. Just like there is more than one way to win at poker. I loved Maverick's method in the movie: he lost for the first hour he played. This allowed him to focus on his opponents tells of good hands or bluffs. He took the lumps long enough to learn. Then he utilized the knowledge he acquired to beat the $#!% out of everyone at the table.

One might say success is a process, not an end result.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

bigBear
Knight Commander

« Reply #44406 on: October 17, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »

"One might say success is a process, not an end result"

this is so true, quite possibly the best comment out there.
don't matter if you're solo or in a group, you set your goals, make achievements. those are your wins.
when you make those goals, set the bar higher and keep going.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #44407 on: October 17, 2017, 05:24:37 PM »

"One might say success is a process, not an end result"

this is so true, quite possibly the best comment out there.
don't matter if you're solo or in a group, you set your goals, make achievements. those are your wins.
when you make those goals, set the bar higher and keep going.

My thoughts exactly.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #44408 on: October 18, 2017, 02:16:33 AM »

I'm in the "Life is crap then you die" group. But maybe that's because my life sucked from the beginning. I couldn't even manage being born the right gender.

(Sorry it's one of those nights.)

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

bigBear
Knight Commander

« Reply #44409 on: October 18, 2017, 04:15:50 AM »

I have my days too, we all do.
Sunday was miserable weather, my knees hurt so bad I almost had to crawl up steps.  I still got up and did what needed to be done.

who's scruffy looking?

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #44410 on: October 18, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »

I'm in the "Life is crap then you die" group. But maybe that's because my life sucked from the beginning. I couldn't even manage being born the right gender.
My point exactly. You are currently in the process of getting back up and kicking circumstance in the balls.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #44411 on: October 18, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »

My friend and I are going to get Ultrasabers for all of our friends for their birthdays so they don't have to keep borrowing ours.

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #44412 on: October 18, 2017, 02:01:49 PM »

My friend and I are going to get Ultrasabers for all of our friends for their birthdays so they don't have to keep borrowing ours.
Good luck with that.

Sig by For Tyeth

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #44413 on: October 18, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »

The count is five sabers so far, 1 SRD, 1 CG, 1 DVA, and 2 VA. But the number will probably go up.

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #44414 on: October 18, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »

The count is five sabers so far, 1 SRD, 1 CG, 1 DVA, and 2 VA. But the number will probably go up.
So how great of a friend are you: sound or no sound?

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 2959 2960 [2961] 2962 2963 ... 3562   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: