Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 41   Go Down
Author Topic: The Knife and Sword Thread  (Read 176807 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2017, 08:39:50 PM »

LOL  why may I ask?

I'm sure that Cara is likely a lovely person... but we are polar opposites in almost every way... except I'm more intelligent than her and her PhD haha.  Wink  And Skall get's kind of goofy when they are together.  Okay... perhaps I'm a tad jealous that in this big ole' world they have found each other and appear to be very happy together... no that's not it!  lol

But if we were to meet who knows... I might be able to connect to her style of quirkiness.  Smiley

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »

Kult of Athena definitely qualifies as a reputable seller of quality merchandise.

So, let's see:

http://www.bellydance.com/Swords_c_119.html

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SW665 this even has a video to go with it.

http://www.kultofathena.com/swords-dance.asp That's their main page for swords balanced for what you're looking to do. I'm not sure what you're considering price wise, and of course there's the exchange rate, but to me, the ones in the $40-$60 price range are what I would consider reasonable.

And if you haven't found this yet, it may be helpful to you: http://bellydanceforums.net/threads/19033-Looking-for-a-Beginner-Bellydance-Sword (even a post or two from Canada!).

Thanks so much Viv for all the assistance that you so generously give me.  Very helpful again.   point Smiley

Will definitely get a prop style Scimitar with rounded blade tip for now as I anticipate the saber connecting with my right foot way too many times.  In the meantime, am using a book with a slippery cover and that is challenging but I'm improving with less sliding off.  I think that the saber might be easier for balancing.  Looking at a total length of perhaps 36".

Here's the main Cold Steel practice sabers that I use.  The Chinese Sword Beater is the one in the middle.  Haven't yet decided if I'm going to get the real one.  Is about $550+ Cdn.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2017, 09:20:38 AM »

Here's the main Cold Steel practice sabers that I use.  The Chinese Sword Beater is the one in the middle.  Haven't yet decided if I'm going to get the real one.  Is about $550+ Cdn.

OOOOOO - I like the one on the left...

+1 D7

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »

Thanks so much Viv for all the assistance that you so generously give me.  Very helpful again.   point Smiley

Here's the main Cold Steel practice sabers that I use.  The Chinese Sword Beater is the one in the middle.  Haven't yet decided if I'm going to get the real one.  Is about $550+ .

Well, it's one of my missions in life to get your heart racing with beautiful swords  Wink and be generally as helpful to you as you are to everyone else. I like the picture of the tiger, and I love the two dolls in the picture.

Dauntless, I'm curious as to your opinion of the Wakazashi for practice. I've considered getting one, but haven't yet.

@ Rapine, Dauntless can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the sword on the left is the same as the sword on the right, just with a wrapped handle.  I know what the sword on the right is because I have two of them. They are to practice swords what Ultra Sabers are to lightsabers - Excellent quality, well priced, worth every penny you pay for them, and just about indestructible. Actually, you'd probably break an Ultra Saber before you broke one of those. Mostly because a US blade is hollow and those are one solid piece of polypropylene plastic, including the handle. Ok, fine, if you're trying to destroy one, it can be done, usually involving a fright train or blow torch. And a sword that's sharp enough can cut through one. But as far as paractice, sparring, and the like, practice sword against practice sword, they'll last forever.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2017, 05:57:45 PM »

Hate to sound like a killjoy, but my experience with the cold steel trainers hasn't been a good one and in most of the HEMA community it has been the same.  Sure they are indestructible but they are also weighted like clubs.  Their shock distribution is also pretty horrendous.  For Katana nothing beats the tried and true Wooden Bokken and for Western Swords Rawlings has Synthetic sparring swords that are shaped and weighted much better and last just as long.  Just my 2 cents.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

shade_1313
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 766

« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »

Hate to sound like a killjoy, but my experience with the cold steel trainers hasn't been a good one and in most of the HEMA community it has been the same.  Sure they are indestructible but they are also weighted like clubs.  Their shock distribution is also pretty horrendous.  For Katana nothing beats the tried and true Wooden Bokken and for Western Swords Rawlings has Synthetic sparring swords that are shaped and weighted much better and last just as long.  Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I have a couple of the CS hand-and-a-half polypro training swords, they're...well, not great.  Hard to break, but not great for simulating a steel blade.

With care and proper protection, my personal favorite is the Albion Maestro series.  I haven't tried any of the other synthetics other than the CS trainers, but I ought to, one of these days.  Wooden wasters can be really good, or really bad, although they'll never have the properties of steel, for working from the bind/winding.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2017, 06:23:01 PM »

Yeah, I have a couple of the CS hand-and-a-half polypro training swords, they're...well, not great.  Hard to break, but not great for simulating a steel blade.

With care and proper protection, my personal favorite is the Albion Maestro series.  I haven't tried any of the other synthetics other than the CS trainers, but I ought to, one of these days.  Wooden wasters can be really good, or really bad, although they'll never have the properties of steel, for working from the bind/winding.

My Dream is to one day own the Albion Berserker...but thats gonna be a long saving process.  While I don't own one I have had a chance to do some amateur free-play with one of Rawlings Synthetic swords.  Much better than the CS and it does give you a bit more of a sense of the catching when binding.  But as Roland Warzeca says, you have to train with sharps to really get the sense of bindings.

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=PR9010

shade_1313
Knight Commander

« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2017, 06:30:26 PM »

My Dream is to one day own the Albion Berserker...but thats gonna be a long saving process.  While I don't own one I have had a chance to do some amateur free-play with one of Rawlings Synthetic swords.  Much better than the CS and it does give you a bit more of a sense of the catching when binding.  But as Roland Warzeca says, you have to train with sharps to really get the sense of bindings.

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=PR9010

The sword I posted earlier is the squire line version of the no-longer-produced Vinland.  Pommel is a one piece, the grip isn't as fancy, and it's unsharpened, but it's a fantastic sword.  I have a good sharpener to get an edge on it, and I'm going to try my hand at making a scabbard, too.

I deeply regret missing out on the Valkyrja, though.   Embarrassed

I'm thinking about picking up a Munich from them in the fall.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »

The sword I posted earlier is the squire line version of the no-longer-produced Vinland.  Pommel is a one piece, the grip isn't as fancy, and it's unsharpened, but it's a fantastic sword.  I have a good sharpener to get an edge on it, and I'm going to try my hand at making a scabbard, too.

I deeply regret missing out on the Valkyrja, though.   Embarrassed

I'm thinking about picking up a Munich from them in the fall.

Yea, I missed out on the Knecht... but I'll eventually commission the Swordmaker who made my arming sword for one.  Learning Messer Combat currently.    Lucky Devil, the Munich is a beaut.  Which version are you getting may I ask.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2017, 10:38:18 PM »

Point bomb to anyone who can tell me what movie this is from WITHOUT doing a search for it.  You must reach back in your own memory banks to find the answer.

Because everyone tried so hard and failed to point out what movie this sword is from Tongue I shall tell ... it's Bowen's sword form the movie Dragon Heart. 

Now what's really intriguing is that this was $300 discounted at 60% when my wife bought it for me (sweet!)

Our sword discussions has certainly sparked my interest in the hobby again and so as I was window shopping around I found this sword available for sale online for $1300.  Whaaaa?  Didn't double check other sources to see if that was legit but I wasn't expecting an increase in value for anything I have, just interesting is all.

Even years later I've still wanted to add Herugrim to my sword collection so I think I'll start to save up and hopefully it'll remain available for me.  I have a few more pieces to get for my Jedi cosplay and some lightsaber shenanigans to work out before I can consider a sword but that's what I'm looking towards.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

shade_1313
Knight Commander

« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2017, 10:52:53 PM »

Yea, I missed out on the Knecht... but I'll eventually commission the Swordmaker who made my arming sword for one.  Learning Messer Combat currently.    Lucky Devil, the Munich is a beaut.  Which version are you getting may I ask.

The Knecht, another of my great regrets... Embarrassed

I've consoled myself for missing out on the Valkyrja by getting Christian Fletcher to make me one of his Shieldmaiden swords, with scabbard.  Still waiting on that, by his currently listed timeline, I'll get it in the fall.

As for the Munich, just the regular grip, if I get the sword ordered in time.  After that, who knows, maybe one of the two-handers.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2017, 01:34:03 AM »

The Knecht, another of my great regrets... Embarrassed

I've consoled myself for missing out on the Valkyrja by getting Christian Fletcher to make me one of his Shieldmaiden swords, with scabbard.  Still waiting on that, by his currently listed timeline, I'll get it in the fall.

As for the Munich, just the regular grip, if I get the sword ordered in time.  After that, who knows, maybe one of the two-handers.

Nice, be sure to post pictures of that piece of work, Fletcher does Amazing work.

shade_1313
Knight Commander

« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2017, 02:03:51 AM »

Nice, be sure to post pictures of that piece of work, Fletcher does Amazing work.

I've been wanting to order a sword from him for ages.  If the Shieldmaiden looks as good in my hand as it does in the pictures, it won't be my last purchase from him.

I may even inquire to see if I can get him to change out the grip leather on the Munich for his forest green, and a matching scabbard and belt, when I'm ready to order it.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2017, 03:57:37 AM »

I've been wanting to order a sword from him for ages.  If the Shieldmaiden looks as good in my hand as it does in the pictures, it won't be my last purchase from him.

I may even inquire to see if I can get him to change out the grip leather on the Munich for his forest green, and a matching scabbard and belt, when I'm ready to order it.

Jealous

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2017, 08:32:36 PM »

Because everyone tried so hard and failed to point out what movie this sword is from Tongue I shall tell ... it's Bowen's sword form the movie Dragon Heart. 

It has been a long time since I watched Dragon Heart, that is why I didn't recognize it. Still a cool sword.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 41   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: