Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Master Venturous  (Read 17954 times)
Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »

Here are the links to my dual saber lessons and those that Darth Cephalus has done:

Mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnCAtl7HBkI&list=PLtxs8UJy21n4f4ZmfTRmcUBloM42e69sl

Darth Cephalus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk0QTtl5SKo&list=PLf2BA9eUktwtZ31TMlxPCV--oA8BwsEqH

These are both playlists, so they should have all the videos we've done relating to dual-wielding within them.

Thanks brother.
I have question. Can we all start a movement to call an Obi/Ani an Eclipse spin?
I was watching episode 3 last night and I wanted to ask everyone here, who do you think does better ECLIPSE spins Obi or Ani?

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »

No arguments from me, but that's totally a question for the Masters to answer. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 12:18:33 PM »

No arguments from me, but that's totally a question for the Masters to answer. Smiley

Indeed.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 12:26:52 PM »

Oh, and to answer your question:  

IMO, Anakin's is better.  Kenobi's foot shifts, indicating to me that his stance isn't as solid or firm.  Maybe that's a good thing though.  I'm far from good or knowledgeable. Wink

Edit: I guess Anakin's foot slides a bit too, but he does make it look smoother...

Glad to hear too Gar-Wi Musan. Smiley

+1

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 12:47:53 PM »

IMO, Anakin's is better.  Kenobi's foot shifts, indicating to me that his stance isn't as solid or firm.  Maybe that's a good thing though.  I'm far from good or knowledgeable. Wink

Awesome! i have to go watch that part again now. I never judged them myself, I just thought it would be funny to ask. LOL . This place is a blast!

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 01:46:35 PM »

IMO, Anakin's is better.  Kenobi's foot shifts, indicating to me that his stance isn't as solid or firm.  Maybe that's a good thing though.  I'm far from good or knowledgeable. Wink

Edit: I guess Anakin's foot slides a bit too, but he does make it look smoother...

Glad to hear too Gar-Wi Musan. Smiley

+1

I agree. I think Anakin's ECLIPSE spin is just a bit tighter than Obi's. The foot slide has me cracking up. LOL.
Insomnia, it's Laughtastic!
Jedi dance party y'all!

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 01:47:46 PM »

Kenobi's isn't as tight, too much body movement!  XD

More often than not people get what I'm talking about when I say "Obi-Ani", I usually get more confused looks when I call it an "Eclipse"  I've even had someone come to me and ask the difference.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »

Kenobi's isn't as tight, too much body movement!  XD

More often than not people get what I'm talking about when I say "Obi-Ani", I usually get more confused looks when I call it an "Eclipse"  I've even had someone come to me and ask the difference.

What's up Sam! The difference is one sounds like baby talk, the other sounds like a legitimate move with a visual reference. Tell someone that knows nothing about Star Wars (freaks) what an Obi-Ani is then tell them "hey you understand the mechanics of an eclipse right?" then show the movement and they will say "oh, that makes sense." But also, why are we talking to people that know nothing about Star Wars?
Everyone in this topic gets points. 

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 06:44:44 PM »

Anyone who has watched my videos on it knows that I hate the term "Obi-Ani" and that I prefer the term "shoulder roll." I've heard Eclipse spin used elsewhere by others and don't have a problem with that. The problem with changing it is that almost everyone I talk to knows what I'm talking about when I say "Obi-Ani" instead of something else. I'd be in favor of starting to call it the Eclipse spin, but if we do that, then everyone who has ever done a video on it as the Obi-Ani would have to go back and redo the video on it with the new name, so that everyone who knows it by the Eclipse spin name wouldn't get confused. I don't know who came up with the Obi-Ani name, but I wish they were on the Death Star when Luke torpedoed it.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 06:54:31 PM »

I've had a lot of fun reading this topic, and I definitely agree with "Eclipse Spin" over "Obi-Ani". The only reason I use Obi-Ani is so that people aren't confused. With people who don't know any different, I use Eclipse. And to who's is better, I definitely agree with Anakin's. it is just a little bit cleaner in all aspects (from my POV).

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

VaporTrail_000
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 07:43:30 PM »

As far as the terminology is concerned, I'm basically trying to write my own... At least for personal use. Though I've only really got three months experience with this whole spinning thing, I think I'm progressing rather well... Need to get some time outside without pavement (or pets, and the results of pets) around where I'm not worried about taking out random walls or (further) shredding my stunt hilts (or other unpleasant occurrences) though. Anyway...

Each basic piece is labeled according to hand the saber is in (with orientation and cross-body, if applicable), direction the blade (or pommel, in case of reverse grip) is rotating relative to wielder at extension, and where the blade (or pommel) passes the body. Because technically, you can chain the 'blade passing behind the back' spin by itself, and that is what I label as an 'eclipse.' It can be darned awkward to do, especially at speed, but is possible.

Up and Down chosen for brevity... though Clock and Counter might be more accurate and less prone to confusion as up and down reverse on a cross body spin, clock and counter don't... ah well WIP...

So in short, the notation is:
Hand [grip,cross-body], Spin Direction, (thumb end) Pass

Examples:

Right, Down, Front  = basic front clockwise spin.

Right, Down, Front + Right, Down, Rear = basic clockwise figure 8

Right, Down, Rear + Right, Down, Eclipse= High-low Whip or Obi-Ani

Right, Down, Rear + Right, Down, Eclipse + Right[cross], Up, Front + Right[cross], Up, Rear = Basic Plum Flower

Right[rev,cross], Up, Rear + Right[rev,cross], Up, Front = right-handed, reverse grip, cross-body, clockwise figure eight.

------------

Still working on notation for grip and hand transitions, aerials, and the like... mostly because I'm still working up to most of them.

Dark Apprentice LE V4 In Guardian Blue (Winter Sale Free Initiate)
Initiate V4 in Consular Green (Winter Sale Free Mystery Box)
Dark Initiate V4 LE in Consular Green, w/ LI-Ion pack (Winter Raffle 3rd Prize)
1 Diamond Initiate V4 LE
1 Diamond Dark Initiate V4

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 08:02:17 PM »

As far as the terminology is concerned, I'm basically trying to write my own... At least for personal use. Though I've only really got three months experience with this whole spinning thing, I think I'm progressing rather well... Need to get some time outside without pavement (or pets, and the results of pets) around where I'm not worried about taking out random walls or (further) shredding my stunt hilts (or other unpleasant occurrences) though. Anyway...

Each basic piece is labeled according to hand the saber is in (with orientation and cross-body, if applicable), direction the blade (or pommel, in case of reverse grip) is rotating relative to wielder at extension, and where the blade (or pommel) passes the body. Because technically, you can chain the 'blade passing behind the back' spin by itself, and that is what I label as an 'eclipse.' It can be darned awkward to do, especially at speed, but is possible.

Up and Down chosen for brevity... though Clock and Counter might be more accurate and less prone to confusion as up and down reverse on a cross body spin, clock and counter don't... ah well WIP...

So in short, the notation is:
Hand [grip,cross-body], Spin Direction, (thumb end) Pass

Examples:

Right, Down, Front  = basic front clockwise spin.

Right, Down, Front + Right, Down, Rear = basic clockwise figure 8

Right, Down, Rear + Right, Down, Eclipse= High-low Whip or Obi-Ani

Right, Down, Rear + Right, Down, Eclipse + Right[cross], Up, Front + Right[cross], Up, Rear = Basic Plum Flower

Right[rev,cross], Up, Rear + Right[rev,cross], Up, Front = right-handed, reverse grip, cross-body, clockwise figure eight.

------------

Still working on notation for grip and hand transitions, aerials, and the like... mostly because I'm still working up to most of them.

Nice. It's a bit difficult for me to follow but I like the idea a lot. Have you tried up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start? Wink

I'm glad I'm not the only one that dislikes the term "Obi-Ani" And to what Master Venturous said about calling it a shoulder roll, I think I've seen some Shaolin Kung Fu guys calling it that, so that works fine for me too.

"I don't know who came up with the Obi-Ani name, but I wish they were on the Death Star when Luke torpedoed it."
-Master Venturous 
LOL! I may have to make that quote part of my sig.

VaporTrail_000
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 08:26:41 PM »

Nice. It's a bit difficult for me to follow but I like the idea a lot. Have you tried up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start? Wink

Every time I do I have hundreds of guys from some organization called 'Red Falcon' running around, not to mention dozens of alien horror show members... It gets a bit messy.

Dark Apprentice LE V4 In Guardian Blue (Winter Sale Free Initiate)
Initiate V4 in Consular Green (Winter Sale Free Mystery Box)
Dark Initiate V4 LE in Consular Green, w/ LI-Ion pack (Winter Raffle 3rd Prize)
1 Diamond Initiate V4 LE
1 Diamond Dark Initiate V4

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 11:33:17 PM »

Every time I do I have hundreds of guys from some organization called 'Red Falcon' running around, not to mention dozens of alien horror show members... It gets a bit messy.

Whoa! When I do it, it just turns my Lightsaber rainbow. Weird.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 02:52:39 PM »

Sorry, have to chime in hear.

The " obi - ani " has been known as the Little Flower for literally thousands of years in the Arts of Shaolin. It is a precursor technique to the Plum Blossom.

We learn 64 variations of the little flower before you even start the Plum Blossom.

Just couldn't stay quiet anymore Smiley Smiley

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: