Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 541   Go Down
Author Topic: Whatchya Listening to or Watching?  (Read 1121254 times)
ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1890 on: November 25, 2012, 11:09:46 PM »

I'm in the mood for some Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #1891 on: November 25, 2012, 11:15:42 PM »

I was going through my music to see if I had any growling music, hypocrosy is an ugly girl to wake up next to you know?

I did have one that is a bit odd...these guys...all there songs remind me of opera...good vs evil...like the beautiful music was invoking a demon or some such lol.

Anyway I grabbed a link to share my guilty growling pleasure...for the record I don't care what he is growling, it is the intent behind it  Smiley

I was distracted by TOR, but still managed to catch about half of that.  You'd be surprised how attuned to it you become the more you listen to it.  Same thing with screaming.   Overall, I like the sound of that song.

but surely on some level there is hope by the poster for "hey yay man I love that also".

This is definitely a factor.   Unfortunately, we also all have different tastes, so while some will love it, others will inevitably hate it.  Tis life. 

Anyhow, at the moment, all I have going is the backgroud music/sound from SWTOR.  lol.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1892 on: November 25, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »

Doctor Who Season 7 Episode 3. Trying to catch up for Christmas

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1893 on: November 26, 2012, 06:43:49 PM »

Carlton runs around the set...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFX1NtxkqcE

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #1894 on: November 26, 2012, 07:42:27 PM »

Doctor Who Season 7 Episode 3. Trying to catch up for Christmas

Try as I might, I never could get into Doctor Who.  Couldn't really tell you why.  I really enjoyed all the episodes I watched.  I make no sense sometimes.

Anyhow: Route 66 by Chuck Berry.

Initiate v3 - Consular

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #1895 on: November 26, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »

This Darkened Heart by All That Remains. The song starts off with a sudden, heart-attack inducing wail by Phil Labonte, followed by the controlled, mature chaos of... Actually, never mind. I'll just shut up this time.

Also, the lyrics are about as metal as they come \m/

I've watched the days pass
one by one until the fall of man
and seen the cynics feed the jaded
merely scraps and bones
the kingdom shaken
it's foundation nearly turned to sand
with foolish faith in faulted leaders
that I must disown

I've laid to rest the false belief
of average stock in me
I'll not relent, no average destiny
I'll reach the point where mankind's sins
no longer rest in me
A long hard road this manifest destiny
I will not be held down...

And that is why metal lyrics are the best  Grin

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #1896 on: November 26, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »

This Darkened Heart by All That Remains. The song starts off with a sudden, heart-attack inducing wail by Phil Labonte, followed by the controlled, mature chaos of... Actually, never mind. I'll just shut up this time.

merely scraps and bones
the kingdom shaken
that I must disown

of average stock in me
no longer rest in me

And that is why metal lyrics are the best  Grin

I went and listened to the This Darkened Heart by All That Remains youtube link.

Hmmm I support the things you like...but I also checked it off my list lol.

I do have a question...seriously...do you listen to anything else?

There seems to be a distinct pattern to your musical choices...from the outside looking in, without the benefit of the written lyrics, the pattern is screaming/growling speed metal.

If one were to read your reviews of said music, the lyrics, and the musicality...and then...the same person were to listen to the same noted music without telling them that it was the same subject, I doubt 1:100 who did not know the band would be able to associate the review and the listening experience.

I find it most intriguing that you see all this artistic application that quite frankly is just not there for the casual observer...I am more than interested in this issue.

Now before rocks come my way, I have listened to my share of harsh, strong, and fringe music...I was a mohawk punker before many of you were born...but I never once thought the lyrics were poetry or that the musicality was magical...it was always loud, fast, and hard.  At that time in my life, this was appealing.

Now I listen to the "insert pretty much any of your choices" and I can hear some seriously talented musicians...it is not my cuppa as you note often lol...but the skill is still there...it is no easy trick to play that fast for that long with a significant level of melody, not easy at all.  This aspect deserves appreciation.

The lyrics, some are quite interesting and have a measure of clever or insightful value.

The screaming, growling, and guttural vocals...sorry...there is nothing I can find of any value in this, unless it is for a horror movie or haunted house sound effects.

This is not an indirect or sideways insult of any kind, I truly find it interesting.

Hobbit/Dune...I offer this one thought...you noted in another thread that your life took a couple rough turns...and there are some health issues...if someone were to look in the window of your life, someone who is not interested in your opinion as we on this forum are...we are a friendly wall to bounce thoughts and ideas off of with a fair chance of getting a calm and honest report....if someone else other than us were to look into you window of life...listen to the music of your choice, read the newspaper of your actions...if you were wearing all black...shakes head...you may be painting a picture that you may not intend.

Read this and remember I have been there and came out the other side.

I am not judging you...merely noting what may be there.

You have mentioned that this type of music calms you.

The rest of the world, barring a handful of folks among the millions upon millions, would find this a warning that maybe there is something else.

Does this mean bad or wrong?  Not to me.  But to others there is a really good chance of the answer being yes indeed.

I guess it comes down to the long term.

Do you see yourself in 15-20 years still cranking up the speed metal and jamming out to the screaming...relaxing as if it were soft jazz?

I would rather you be mad at me for missing the point then missing a chance to hear someone reaching out for a hand.

If you are reaching you can PM and or then email me...I have been there even if you are not there or do not think you are.

I think there is a work of actual beautiful music out there in the world...without screaming, ultra fast chords, and pounding beats.

If I read your reviews I picture a classical guitarist/student, some one who is seeking another aspect of the same...like a Django Reinhardt, a gypsy.

But then the actual music you provide is not anything like what you review.

Imagine I noted a beautiful love story, with drama and intrigue, sensitive interaction, loss, and finally finding love and happiness...and then provide the movie in question...Saw.

Most anyone would say WTFiretruck!

That is where I am.

I see you as a potential Django Reinhardt and not this stereotypical metalhead.

Just saying.

I would rather have rocks thrown at me for being seen as tight viewed then not put a hand out to a forum friend who I see in potential darkness.

Consider it my overbearing Jedi nature lol.

If I am way off base, then chalk it off to my meds being out of synch.

Smiley

Light side points please Smiley

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1897 on: November 26, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »

"Dreams pass in time." - Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Ah Rel, not a Forum Elder, no no, our Forum Father; ever watchful. Wink

I definitely changed, glad it did too, I used to listen to some terrible stuff; no thoughtful lyrical content, just vulgar hateful sounds and IDK why.

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #1898 on: November 26, 2012, 09:53:25 PM »

Rel,

Thanks for wanting to help, and thanks for making me think about things I never really thought about before. I'm not really in a dark place anymore in my life. I used to be, but that was a long time ago. Back than, the music I listened to was vulgar and loud, period.

I don't really know why I see so much beauty in the kind of metal I listen to. I just do. I just find the level of musicianship astounding, I find that the lyrics are relatable, and I find that the vocals are majestic. It take years of consistent practice and dedication to be able to make those horror show sounds, as you put it. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but as I've said before, I don't mean to push my love of these vocals on anyone. I just feel compelled to express this love.

I also don't actually wear all black. I pretty much always have on blue pants, a simple long-sleeve shirt, or a sweater, or a t-shirt. I know what you mean though. I'm just not worried about what people think of me. I know that, to a casual observer, my taste in music and the way I describe said music would probably make people run away in the other direction as fast as possible, but I don't really care, to be blunt. Wouldn't that be their fault for judging a book by it's cover? Not to step on anyone's toes of course, I'm not aiming this at any of you and it's not an attack on anyone.

Here is a quote I'd like to share with you, from the documentary, Metal: A Headbanger's Journey:

"Metal confronts what we'd rather ignore. It celebrates what we often deny. It indulges in what we fear most. And that's why metal will always be a culture of outsiders."

I think that sums up metal very nicely, though I would also have to add in "culture of innovation" to that as well. Metal constantly pushes the boundaries of music in ways that other genres don't, and that is another reason why I love metal. The point though, is that I agree and embrace this whole-heartedly.

But in any case, while my life isn't totally blacked out like it once was, I still do suffer from the usual woes. I just find life to be a chore. It's all about studying, going to class, going to work, cooking, cleaning, and it's all so mundane really. For me, the kind of metal I listen to is my escape from all this. Metal is freedom, and I find strength in the music. Metal also has the answers to so many of my problems, and it's just so darn comforting.

I guess the other reason why I find so much beauty in this music is because of the six years I've spent learning how to play the guitar and learning how to do harsh AND clean vocals. I've spent so much of my time not only listening to, and studying, the intricacies, the depth, and the emotions behind the music that I've just become deeply attuned to it all and sort of obsessed in a way. Not only listening, but also playing and practicing, and that hands-on experience just makes me dive down even further into all of the various nuances of metal, making me love it even more.

Also, I don't really look that far into the future, but yes, I do see myself continuing to listen to this music.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:03:24 PM by TheHobbitofDune » Logged

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #1899 on: November 26, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »

merely scraps and bones
the kingdom shaken
that I must disown

of average stock in me
no longer rest in me

And that is why metal lyrics are the best  Grin

These kinds of lyrics are one major reason I like metal.  Very independence oriented ideas.  Not to get too far into politics, but metal is the only genre I've found so far that doesn't seem to whole-heartedly embrace collectivism of some sort.   /soapbox

@Jedi Rel/Kham/Hobbit:  Rel probably just summed up every metalheads journey, to a degree.  I personally had a similar story.  I used to listen to anything that was angrier than I was.  Which meant a lot of Insane Clown Posse and Disturbed, (among others).  I no longer listen to these bands.  You may have noticed a few posts back I said I'm extremely picky about the lyrics I listen to.  I do this because I know the lyrics affect us, and the more we listen to them, the greater effect there is.  I love In This Moment.  They're easily my favorite band. But I still won't often listen to a few of their songs because of the lyrics.  "The Promise" is a good example.  It's an incredibly well done duet.  Good vocals, good music, ups and downs, etc. etc.  But the lyrics are about a couple promising to hurt each other.  I don't want that influence in my life, so I choose not to listen to it.   

Initiate v3 - Consular

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #1900 on: November 26, 2012, 11:26:12 PM »

It is all good guys!

I just wanted to say something if something needed to be said lol.

Rock on dudes!

Which version do you guys like better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiID_EXqySk&feature=related

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPkyuJAniuM&feature=related

Light side points please Smiley

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1901 on: November 26, 2012, 11:28:34 PM »

Not a huge fan of Metallica but i liked their version.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #1902 on: November 26, 2012, 11:32:28 PM »

It is all good guys!

I just wanted to say something if something needed to be said lol.

Rock on dudes!

Which version do you guys like better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiID_EXqySk&feature=related

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPkyuJAniuM&feature=related

I appreciate it Rel, you are an awesome Jedi Smiley

Also...

I would have to go with the Metallica version. It is the one I heard first all those years ago and there is just a certain charm to it I suppose.

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #1903 on: November 26, 2012, 11:39:54 PM »

I appreciate it Rel, you are an awesome Jedi Smiley

Also...

I would have to go with the Metallica version. It is the one I heard first all those years ago and there is just a certain charm to it I suppose.

Agreed on both counts.  Though apparently it was originally an old Irish drinking song, so they're all covers.  But both are good, I think.

Initiate v3 - Consular

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #1904 on: November 26, 2012, 11:45:01 PM »

Agreed on both counts.  Though apparently it was originally an old Irish drinking song, so they're all covers.  But both are good, I think.

Yeah, that is true. A really awesome Irish drinking song too Grin

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 541   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: