Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: diy costumes  (Read 2128 times)
mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« on: January 14, 2019, 08:37:57 PM »

I'd love to put together a Jedi costume of my own.

How frowned upon or "uncouth" is it to use a dyed Karate Gi? I am not looking to buy one of the crazily priced outfits and the costumes on Amazon seem like a bit of a "crap shoot" as far as fitting or not. I'm not looking to be Rebel Legion certified. Just look decent.

looking to use

men's brown T-shirt
Men's brown flat front pants
dyed gi
make my own tabard/obi/belt
buy an inexpensive robe.

Thoughts?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 09:45:17 PM »

It looks like a karate GI is basically a tunic, which is what Jedi wear.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 04:15:43 AM »

It could definitely work

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:45:53 PM »

It could definitely work

my karate school sells sleeveless Gi's and I have wanted a black one for a long time for my Sith cos

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 02:59:47 AM »

I really struggle trying to figure out if it's worth purchasing one of the cheaper cosplay jedi outfits or not. What recommendations do y'all have?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 03:29:26 AM »

The one I picked up off Amazon worked really well for my Therion Jinn/Sith Warrior

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 07:56:52 PM »

The one I picked up off Amazon worked really well for my Therion Jinn/Sith Warrior

which company made it? Was the fit good or did you have to do some work on it?

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 08:40:18 PM »

It was  CosplaySky's Anakin Skywalker set, and I did nothing to it after purchase

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 05:41:09 AM »

It's only going to be "uncouth" to certain select members of costuming groups, of which you shouldn't worry about. The vast, vast majority of Jedi cosplayers will not mind one little bit. I'd recommend going the Karate Gi route because it's more substantial than the costumes you typically get on places like Amazon. The majority of those costumes are for once-a-year Halloween dress up and so the fabric is usually thin, not super accurate, etc. It really depends on the look that you're going for. The Karate Gi will be nicer fabric but with minor accuracy issues like straight sleeves instead of flared ones. On the flip side, the Amazon costume will probably be thin, possibly not have the substantial "look" of Jedi garb, but should be relatively accurate with colors and design.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 01:03:26 PM »

It was  CosplaySky's Anakin Skywalker set, and I did nothing to it after purchase

Thanks...that was the one I was considering (but the Obi-Wan). POINTAGE!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »

It's only going to be "uncouth" to certain select members of costuming groups, of which you shouldn't worry about. The vast, vast majority of Jedi cosplayers will not mind one little bit. I'd recommend going the Karate Gi route because it's more substantial than the costumes you typically get on places like Amazon. The majority of those costumes are for once-a-year Halloween dress up and so the fabric is usually thin, not super accurate, etc. It really depends on the look that you're going for. The Karate Gi will be nicer fabric but with minor accuracy issues like straight sleeves instead of flared ones. On the flip side, the Amazon costume will probably be thin, possibly not have the substantial "look" of Jedi garb, but should be relatively accurate with colors and design.

Many thanks for that post....now I have some thoughts to process! POINTAGE!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: