Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Kyrathalia's Deathcry-custom lightsaber build  (Read 12059 times)
Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« on: May 24, 2017, 01:26:19 AM »

All right, next up on the bench is a custom lightsaber hilt.
I'm naming it "Kyrathalia's Deathcry" after my Sith Sorceror in Star Wars: The Old Republic

It's going to be built using metal parts from The Other Guys' Modular Hilt System, electronics from Ultrasabers, and the pommel is a shower faucet handle from the Home Depot.
Blade will be a bright orange when I'm done

To get started, I mapped out the basics of the hilt design using TCSS MHS Builder

Once the parts arrived, I roughed out how the layout of the hilt would look in real life

A quick look at all of the components going into this build

Because of the way some of the parts were engineered, and with the LED module being already wired for a quick disconnect, I needed to modify the TCSS heat sink by opening up two of the side holes

Made an adapter from a nylon fitting that allowed me to connect the handle piece to the blank pommel section. This was all connected rather solidly with some JB Weld

Got the holes drilled and tapped for the covertec wheel in the grip, and blade retention screws in the emitter.
Also got the hole opened up for the switch housing.

The grip was partly masked off, as well as the thread section of the choke. These were then primered with flat black Krylon primer.
A coat of Testors Graphite Dust was added, and then they were hit with a coat of Kyrlon Crystal clear

Next up is a whole lot of electrical work

Youtube link:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBiDhLULNv0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBiDhLULNv0</a>

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:27:00 AM »

Update on the buildup of "Kyrathalia's Deathcry"

Prior to installing the switch, I used my Dremel to make an inscription just above it.
The inscription, in Aurabesh font, reads "Peace is a lie," the first line of the Sith Code.
I printed it out on some blank decal paper and laid it on to act as a guide for the work.
That done, I scrubbed off the rest of the decal paper, and then highlighted the inscription with a black wash.

For the pommel, I opted to paint it up like a gem held in a metal mounting.
I painted the clear areas with a transparent orange, and then painted the 'claw' with Vallejo dark grey primer followed by Tamiya's Chrome Silver

Began wiring up the guts, including a trio of red LEDs for lighting up the pommel.

LIGHT test!
Initially, I had the wiring for my illuminated switch reversed. I fixed that and got ALMOST everything working.
Sadly, despite installing a resistor, my wiring job resulted in blowing the LEDs for the pommel

I sanded down the raised areas on the grip prior to assembly, along with adding some other sanding on the choke to add some weathering.
Got her all assembled, and then fired her up again.
We now have a finished lightsaber with a blazing orange blade

Finished build pics

Youtube link:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgzb2EiyD_k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgzb2EiyD_k</a>

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:45:42 AM »

TJ your saber is BADASS!  LOVE seeing the process from inception to execution!  Your mods are incredible  Cheesy. Fantastic job!  I love the details: from the Aurabesh script to your DIY pommel (a faucet handle!?  I NEVER would have suspected had you not told us  Wink.  Looks amazing!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 01:58:38 AM »

Wow, that looks awesome man, well done!

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 02:08:01 AM »

When I first saw the shower faucet fitting I was like "meh" and then I saw what you did with it! Oh man, that's amazing! You really made that into something that looked professional and special. Great work on your saber!

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 02:46:23 AM »

Very cool idea, and hilt. I love that you chose Orange for the blade color. Great choice.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 03:29:42 AM »

Thank you very much, guys.
It was a bit nerve-wracking when it came to the electronics, but nice to build something I could truly call my own.

My original plan had been to build the hilt completely from scratch, but I figured the MHS parts would make life a LOT easier.
The shower handle was found during the initial parts shop run, and I really liked it for a pommel.

Fiery Orange was one of the few colors I hadn't seen a lot of, but it was also the color the character uses in The Old Republic

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 07:04:48 PM »

Thank you very much, guys.
It was a bit nerve-wracking when it came to the electronics, but nice to build something I could truly call my own.

My original plan had been to build the hilt completely from scratch, but I figured the MHS parts would make life a LOT easier.
The shower handle was found during the initial parts shop run, and I really liked it for a pommel.

Fiery Orange was one of the few colors I hadn't seen a lot of, but it was also the color the character uses in The Old Republic

Just an idea, but if you want to see a better looking FO, you could try getting li-ion with a buckpuck. Mixed colors tend to have higher demands than single colors, so it might help the look and brightness of it to have a more powerful and efficient battery system.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 08:00:29 PM »

Actually, it's running Li-ion and a buck puck

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 04:49:56 AM »

How did I miss this yesterday?  This is really awesome, great work.  I especially like what you did for the pommel.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 05:04:27 AM »

Hey nice work! I never in a million years would have considered a faucet handle. It really turned out good the claws on it worked well.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 01:41:11 PM »

Hey nice work! I never in a million years would have considered a faucet handle.

The original Obi-Wan Kenobi saber prop carried by Sir Alec Guinness had a faucet handle pommel.

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 02:14:44 PM »

The original Obi-Wan Kenobi saber prop carried by Sir Alec Guinness had a faucet handle pommel.

Interesting I didn't know that. Now he's one with the force.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 01:02:40 AM »

Thanks for the comments, guys.
The claw look on the pommel kind of came to me as I was trying to figure out just what I was going to do with the look of it.
Of course, it HAD to wind up orange to match the blade

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »

This is one very cool saber. Masterful work sir. Absolutely fantastic.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: