Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 927426 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2400 on: August 03, 2017, 09:31:48 PM »

The pods were like the coolest thing come out of Star Wars since the lightsaber.

I like the pods, just not the racing. Like TJ said, it was kinda pointless.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2401 on: August 04, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »

I thought the podracing was a cool sequence. It was kinda pointless though, I mean I'm sure there were WAAAAY better ways of winning what Qui-Gon won. Sabaac or some space darts or poker or gin rummy. You know things that DIDN'T involve endangering a 9 year old boy.....
1) The race was the only major event happening, and by extension probably the only thing paying out enough cash to buy a new hyperdrive.

2) Card games with a stranger are never advisable, because punters start tapering off when you start winning too much. And winning a lot at cards might draw attention. Placing the right bet at the track is far more inconspicuous, and less likely to get you accused of cheating since you don't have direct influence over the outcome.

3) The boy was all about it. Plus it allowed him to show off his mad skillz and generous nature in front of his to-be-new girlfriend.

4) It showed off Ani's pod's capabilities, allowing for its subsequent sale...to Sebulba (so I heard).

5) It also got QGJ, poking his nose into Anakin's abilities. A child that can race in events that even adult humans can't. ô¿o

6) It was 7min of adrenaline fueled action. Who can say no to that? Plus I found the whole thing to be on par with the chariot race from Ben Hur. Just awesome. But I also like a good race.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2402 on: August 04, 2017, 02:59:33 PM »

1) The race was the only major event happening, and by extension probably the only thing paying out enough cash to buy a new hyperdrive.

2) Card games with a stranger are never advisable, because punters start tapering off when you start winning too much. And winning a lot at cards might draw attention. Placing the right bet at the track is far more inconspicuous, and less likely to get you accused of cheating since you don't have direct influence over the outcome.

3) The boy was all about it. Plus it allowed him to show off his mad skillz and generous nature in front of his to-be-new girlfriend.

4) It showed off Ani's pod's capabilities, allowing for its subsequent sale...to Sebulba (so I heard).

5) It also got QGJ, poking his nose into Anakin's abilities. A child that can race in events that even adult humans can't. ô¿o

6) It was 7min of adrenaline fueled action. Who can say no to that? Plus I found the whole thing to be on par with the chariot race from Ben Hur. Just awesome. But I also like a good race.

1) This is true, but....

2) Then why not just bet on the race WITHOUT entering Anakin?

3) True. Nine year olds(especially 9 year old boys) are gung-ho about a lot of things that are potentially dangerous. Generally adults step in and prevent it. I was good at riding a skateboard as a kid, but my mom still wouldn't let me attempt the ramps at the park. Anakin's mother's reaction SHOULD have been "I'm sorry, I feel for you, I really do. And I want to help you, but no way in hell I'm letting my son risk his life to get you ship parts. You can always get new parts some other way, if my son dies I don't get another one."

Not to mention Watto's treatment of Anakin here (and as a whole) is NOT in line with how slaves were generally treated throughout history. Though true, they were often treated as sub-human, slaves were not cheap commodities, at least not good ones. They were generally PROTECTED from harm. Could I beat my slave within an inch of their life for a minor offense? Sure. But now I'm down a field hand, or a doctor, or a chef. They can't do their job if I incapacitate them. Same goes with putting them in harm's way for my own benefit. Even Roman gladiators were slaves that were no longer useful, had proved to be more trouble than their worth, were bought specifically for that purpose(therefore weren't to be put to use in any other capacity) or weren't even technically slaves. They were POW, criminals, Roman deserters and turncoats, and believe it or not volunteers seeking money and glory(but were usually just poor saps with no other options to make a living). Anakin was still quite useful off the track in Watto's shop and as a mechanic, so it's baffling that he would willingly put a slave with a valuable skill in harm's way by forcing him to race.

4) That one is true, but I'm sure it could have been sold without the demo. Most people "in the know" should have an idea of what the capabilities are by what parts are on it. If I'm looking at a used car with after market mods, I already am familiar with that stuff, so I'll have an idea of what the vehicle's capabilities are or should be.

5) They demonstrate later on in the film, other ways of doing this....

6) Really the only one I can't argue with, and probably the only reason they went that route in the first place.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2403 on: August 04, 2017, 04:20:48 PM »

2) Then why not just bet on the race WITHOUT entering Anakin?
Odds. No one is going to give you high enough stakes on a sure thing. Outside of Anakin racing, Sebulba was a shoe-in to win. By entering the darkest of dark horses, Qui-gon ensured the highest stakes to bet on. Plus, the Force said he would win.

3) True. Nine year olds(especially 9 year old boys) are gung-ho about a lot of things that are potentially dangerous. Generally adults step in and prevent it. I was good at riding a skateboard as a kid, but my mom still wouldn't let me attempt the ramps at the park. Anakin's mother's reaction SHOULD have been "I'm sorry, I feel for you, I really do. And I want to help you, but no way in hell I'm letting my son risk his life to get you ship parts. You can always get new parts some other way, if my son dies I don't get another one."

Not to mention Watto's treatment of Anakin here (and as a whole) is NOT in line with how slaves were generally treated throughout history. Though true, they were often treated as sub-human, slaves were not cheap commodities, at least not good ones. They were generally PROTECTED from harm. Could I beat my slave within an inch of their life for a minor offense? Sure. But now I'm down a field hand, or a doctor, or a chef. They can't do their job if I incapacitate them. Same goes with putting them in harm's way for my own benefit. Even Roman gladiators were slaves that were no longer useful, had proved to be more trouble than their worth, were bought specifically for that purpose(therefore weren't to be put to use in any other capacity) or weren't even technically slaves. They were POW, criminals, Roman deserters and turncoats, and believe it or not volunteers seeking money and glory(but were usually just poor saps with no other options to make a living). Anakin was still quite useful off the track in Watto's shop and as a mechanic, so it's baffling that he would willingly put a slave with a valuable skill in harm's way by forcing him to race.
Being slaves, she knew that there were dick-move ways around her objections. QG could simply go to Watto anyway with the same plan, Watto says the slave will race. Done. When money talks, Watto listens.

Actually, gladiators were slaves with the specific purpose of fighting, and more than likely dying. Pay attention to the scene in Gladiator, with Proximo just before the first Coliseum fight . He's pissed because the "script" dictates that his best guys are going to get slaughtered in a reenactment, but he's not going to make an extra cent for compensation.

4) That one is true, but I'm sure it could have been sold without the demo. Most people "in the know" should have an idea of what the capabilities are by what parts are on it. If I'm looking at a used car with after market mods, I already am familiar with that stuff, so I'll have an idea of what the vehicle's capabilities are or should be.
Which are you more likely to buy: fast or fast enough to win? The only way to show off the pod's true potential was to race it.

5) They demonstrate later on in the film, other ways of doing this....
I just said that was the start.

6) Really the only one I can't argue with, and probably the only reason they went that route in the first place.

The other thing this did was add to the culture of the galaxy. It got away politics and Jedi dogma, and the ever present gun fights and space battles.

Pointless was Greedo shooting first, making Boba sound like Jango, and the insta-party that starts up across the galaxy upon the destruction of the DS2.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2404 on: September 11, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »

1976 George

1995 George

Personally, I'd rather have the hot beer wench.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2405 on: September 28, 2017, 03:03:01 PM »

So I can't remember what thread the topic was raised on about the possibility that the Inqs were made up of Dark Jedi that were expelled from the Order, but...............I found this concept art.

Sig by For Tyeth

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2406 on: September 28, 2017, 04:44:07 PM »

So I can't remember what thread the topic was raised on about the possibility that the Inqs were made up of Dark Jedi that were expelled from the Order, but...............I found this concept art.

I'd be fine with that. We still don't know for sure what happened to Barriss.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2407 on: September 28, 2017, 05:11:03 PM »

I'd be fine with that. We still don't know for sure what happened to Barriss.
I remember the topic began with whether or not Pong Krell survived the Clone Wars. Even though I hate the Inq sabers, I thought of him wielding 4 of them and how truly terrifying a threat that would be.

Sig by For Tyeth

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2408 on: September 28, 2017, 06:28:30 PM »

I remember the topic began with whether or not Pong Krell survived the Clone Wars. Even though I hate the Inq sabers, I thought of him wielding 4 of them and how truly terrifying a threat that would be.

Yeah, it may have just been in the Random Thoughts thread. Too bad he died, he could have been a major villain in something.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2409 on: September 28, 2017, 07:14:22 PM »

Yeah, it may have just been in the Random Thoughts thread. Too bad he died, he could have been a major villain in something.
Thing is, I never really like why they had certain characters turn. It was an unexpected twist, but they never really explained motives.

Sig by For Tyeth

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #2410 on: September 28, 2017, 11:26:37 PM »

A characters motive can put a spin on their actions that keeps them from being pure evil, or it can make the most benign actions sinister. I can think of plenty of reasons for a young Jedi to become disillusioned or an old one jaded, but not many of them justify a turn to the dark side of the force. And remember kids, a character shouldn't "just evil for evil's sake" and they definitely should not wake up one morning and decide to be a monster, give your bad guys some depth and your heroes will have a greater challenge to overcome.

I don't remember the reason for Pong Krell's turn, but I remember thinking that it was weak writing. I don't even remember Bariss's turn, so I guess I need to re-watch all of the show, right?

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2411 on: September 29, 2017, 12:52:19 AM »

A characters motive can put a spin on their actions that keeps them from being pure evil, or it can make the most benign actions sinister. I can think of plenty of reasons for a young Jedi to become disillusioned or an old one jaded, but not many of them justify a turn to the dark side of the force. And remember kids, a character shouldn't "just evil for evil's sake" and they definitely should not wake up one morning and decide to be a monster, give your bad guys some depth and your heroes will have a greater challenge to overcome.

I don't remember the reason for Pong Krell's turn, but I remember thinking that it was weak writing. I don't even remember Bariss's turn, so I guess I need to re-watch all of the show, right?

I disagree.  I have no problem with a character just being Evil.  The problem comes from no variety at all, there is room enough for all the different types of villains.  As to Pong Krell, He began to see the Jedi and the Republic as weak and inefficient as well as glimpsing images of the future in which the Jedi and the Republic fall.  So basically The Force was giving him warnings but he took them as an invitation to go to the "stronger" side. 
Barris turned because....... *Spoilers if you want to wait to watch it*

.... she saw the Jedi as being the villains in the Clone Wars.  She felt the Jedi had become too violent.  Her betrayal did lead to one of the best fights in the series though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6_0Y4nnylA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6_0Y4nnylA</a>

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #2412 on: September 29, 2017, 01:30:03 AM »

I just think that writing a character as just evil to be evil is lazy sort of like the "it just happens because" thing that happens in a lot of movies, it's okay for a character to be evil, but they need a purpose in my opinion.

Sounds like Bariss's turn was done well, I just didn't remember it (mostly because I used to watch the show while drinking).

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2413 on: September 29, 2017, 01:47:26 AM »

I just think that writing a character as just evil to be evil is lazy sort of like the "it just happens because" thing that happens in a lot of movies, it's okay for a character to be evil, but they need a purpose in my opinion.

Sounds like Bariss's turn was done well, I just didn't remember it (mostly because I used to watch the show while drinking).

I don't disagree with an evil character having a purpose, I just don't think they have to be "relate-able"

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #2414 on: September 29, 2017, 01:51:46 AM »

I don't disagree with an evil character having a purpose, I just don't think they have to be "relate-able"

Having a motive or purpose doesn't make them more relatable. . . unless you are willing to do "evil" things. . . but you are a sith lord.

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: