Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Down
Author Topic: What Lightsaber Form Do You Favor?  (Read 104938 times)
Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -129

« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2011, 06:11:38 PM »

all members...new and old. always the student mind.Smiley

That is the quote of the week!  Wink

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »

My style? You can call it the "art of fighting without fighting

An excellent example of Form 0.   You should be the Battlemaster.

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)
=====================================================================

Master BStone
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 22

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »

thanx Master Caine...if only everyone who trained with me espoused the student mind at all times...Smiley

Mr. Revan
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2011, 12:04:51 AM »

I use Makashi!

Consular- BR w/obsidian
Bane- VA w/FoC and Obsidian

Yega
Dark Sentinel
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -194

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2011, 03:36:09 AM »

It seems as if I came on this late, but, I feel like answering the question.

I'm 5'9 and I weigh 145 pounds, and that is all muscle. Form VII comes very naturally for me due to it's aggressive style. While I do not have the weight and height of a Darth Malgus to make extremely crushing blows, I'm a lot stronger than one would think. I'm naturally very fast as well. So, the natural speed I have mixed with the nice amount of strength I can force upon one with my blade, thrown into Form VII, sums up what I do. I'm ALL attack in a fast and strong brute force. And the cherry on top of it all, is the fact that I actually do fight with emotion. When my emotion kicks in in a fight, my opponent falls quickly. I'm not bragging in anyway, this actually has happened every time. It's almost like a burst of unnatural strength comes upon me. I love it!

But, even though Form VII comes naturally, I feel like none of the forms can quite put into existence exactly what I want to do. So, I generally try to rely on instinct in a duel, over the technique of the form. Sometimes depending on the opponent, I will rely on the forum, but lately, I've been trying to do otherwise. I may try to come up with my own form.

Dark Side points are much appreciated.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2011, 04:10:53 AM »

It seems as if I came on this late, but, I feel like answering the question.

I'm 5'9 and I weigh 145 pounds, and that is all muscle. Form VII comes very naturally for me due to it's aggressive style. While I do not have the weight and height of a Darth Malgus to make extremely crushing blows, I'm a lot stronger than one would think. I'm naturally very fast as well. So, the natural speed I have mixed with the nice amount of strength I can force upon one with my blade, thrown into Form VII, sums up what I do. I'm ALL attack in a fast and strong brute force. And the cherry on top of it all, is the fact that I actually do fight with emotion. When my emotion kicks in in a fight, my opponent falls quickly. I'm not bragging in anyway, this actually has happened every time. It's almost like a burst of unnatural strength comes upon me. I love it!

But, even though Form VII comes naturally, I feel like none of the forms can quite put into existence exactly what I want to do. So, I generally try to rely on instinct in a duel, over the technique of the form. Sometimes depending on the opponent, I will rely on the forum, but lately, I've been trying to do otherwise. I may try to come up with my own form.

Very interesting!  That does indeed sound like a Form VII usage... you sound like you have some swordsmanship experience, have you had training?  I'm always interested to see what types of martial arts or combat training people have, and how it corresponds to their form.  For instance, I have a lot of experience in fencing so Form II comes naturally to me.  My own interpretation of the form uses precise, single handed attacks along with superior footwork and distance to defeat the enemy.

Yega
Dark Sentinel
Knight Commander

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2011, 04:24:10 AM »

Haha, well, no, no formal training. But for years as a kid I fought my friends, and I still duel today. We fought with solid and straight sticks, not any of stupid foam swords kids use today, lol. We would come home with cuts on our heads, bruises, gashes, ect.... While I don't recommend head swings at all, that is what we did, lol. When I was a kid, I had that same very aggressive style of fighting. They called me Darth Vader for it. I liked the Jedi at the time, but, I kinda got used to being called Darth Vader, and I grew to like it. That is when I started to fall to the Darkside. lol

I know that if I had formal training (which I would LOVE to have, and may get some day), I would excel very fast. I would like to say it's natural, but I don't know. I hardly ever lose if that counts for being a natural? But I have yet to duel somebody with formal training. When it comes to real swords, I like to use two handed swords (they are all attack as well). I have a replica Sir William Wallace sword. It is heavy, and LONG. They suit my style.

So, overall, no training. But from what it seems, I'm good at it. (I'm not bragging, just trying to answer your question) Smiley

Devin_Raan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 42

I am worthy.

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2011, 09:31:14 PM »

I prefer a mix of Soresu and Makashi.  It makes for a beautiful and elegant form of offense and defense in perfect refinement.  It works well with my size also, only bein 5'9" and 120 pounds I need grace and finesse over brute force.

CENTER][/CENTER]

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »

SO when I dual wield I would say,

Jar'Kai obviously, mixed with Ataru and Vapaad with some defensive Soresu thrown in.

Single saber I'd say,

Niman, really like to just mix it up, some Kendo and Longsword, Chinese straight sword and Fencing.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2011, 11:15:31 AM »

SO when I dual wield I would say,

Jar'Kai obviously, mixed with Ataru and Vapaad with some defensive Soresu thrown in.

Single saber I'd say,

Niman, really like to just mix it up, some Kendo and Longsword, Chinese straight sword and Fencing.

Yeah it seems like with the potential speed you have with your Initiates, styles like Ataru or Vaapad would fit.  Very cool.

@Yega:  You really should get some formal training, you can take that natural talent you have and add some real technique... I have always wanted to learn something other than fencing, just to mix it up.  The only other experience I have is some martial arts training from Artorius (we've been friends for literally decades, so it goes without saying that I'd pick up a few things).  That said, fencing is a great place to start - I know it seems like it doesn't translate into reality well, but I assure you it does.  Concepts like distance, timing, parries, and the general flow of momentum in combat I feel are common to all forms of swordsmanship, and are VERY critical in fencing as well.  I actually coach fencing at the college where I went to school, and I absolutely love it.

Devin_Raan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 42

I am worthy.

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »

I posted earlier, but did not fully know the form I was practicing.  I'm am more geared towards Shien and Djem So, form four of the jedi combat structure.  It gives me the finesse and grace I need without sacrificing too much of what physical strength and endurance I have.  As said before, being 120 pounds at 5'9" leaves me at a great disadvantage against many opponents.  Thus my style is defensive with a controlled offense.

CENTER][/CENTER]

Yega
Dark Sentinel
Knight Commander

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2011, 06:45:52 PM »

@Yega:  You really should get some formal training, you can take that natural talent you have and add some real technique... I have always wanted to learn something other than fencing, just to mix it up.  The only other experience I have is some martial arts training from Artorius (we've been friends for literally decades, so it goes without saying that I'd pick up a few things).  That said, fencing is a great place to start - I know it seems like it doesn't translate into reality well, but I assure you it does.  Concepts like distance, timing, parries, and the general flow of momentum in combat I feel are common to all forms of swordsmanship, and are VERY critical in fencing as well.  I actually coach fencing at the college where I went to school, and I absolutely love it.

Yeah, I would love to. Those are all things I need to learn, lol. I'm almost barbaric in my style of fighting, which I do not think is a bad thing. That style worked for many armies anyways, lol. But learning how to master the art of moving the blade in a effective and precision like manner would be great. I'm sure your experience helps with much of that. It is actually really cool that you like Form II. Most people I know say they use Form VII, and it now seems overused because it's the "Most Dangerous". So I kinda wish that there was another form that came naturally for me because of that. Form V would be the next closest to being natural for me. I personally think that the most dangerous lightsaber Form, is the one that best suits you.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2011, 07:39:25 PM »

Yeah, I would love to. Those are all things I need to learn, lol. I'm almost barbaric in my style of fighting, which I do not think is a bad thing. That style worked for many armies anyways, lol. But learning how to master the art of moving the blade in a effective and precision like manner would be great. I'm sure your experience helps with much of that. It is actually really cool that you like Form II. Most people I know say they use Form VII, and it now seems overused because it's the "Most Dangerous". So I kinda wish that there was another form that came naturally for me because of that. Form V would be the next closest to being natural for me. I personally think that the most dangerous lightsaber Form, is the one that best suits you.

The way I tend to break down the forms is by considering each one to have a specific "forte".  You have Djem So, where the focus is domination, and Makashi where the focus is control and manipulation.  Vaapad and Juyo (both variants of Form VII) have a similar focus - using aggressive feelings to fuel you.  Vaapad does it while maintaining a cool head, while Juyo pretty much lets you give in completely.  So while Form VII is famous for its unpredictable fast attacks, the true art of it is on the inside, the utilization of emotions.  If you're only brutish in a physical sense, then maybe you would fit another form - you have aggressive ones like Djem So and Ataru that could work for you as well.  Djem So uses overwhelming strength, while Ataru uses blinding speed and lots of movement.  Just something to keep in mind.

Goldleader
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 124

I am a humble student of the force

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2011, 12:00:55 AM »

When i took martial arts i watched various techniques and katas that more experienced students got to train with using the bo, my only experience with weapons training in martial arts was a few grapple, disarming and offensive tactics with the tanto. but i remained very observant with how attacks and defenses were so fluent with the bo, you block and your immediately set up for a quick and unexpected counter, how many more areas the staff covers making it so easy to defend against attacks. it was very intriguing to the point where after i moved i started practicing on my own with bamboo poles and eventually i became very efficient, after the many blunders trying to work out how not to hit yourself on the head or in the unmentionables Shocked but nevertheless, the spins worked themselves out and i learned control and how to not hit myself no matter the situation(sounds lame but its harder than it looks, its just the basics:P) eventually it became my preferred weapon of choice. then ultrasabers came along hehe.. and well.. the staff is sill my best/ favorite in such matters!

so whatever a staff is considerred, juyo? or jar kai?.. <--that or jar kai is with two sabers..

please forgive me..i forget:P just now bothering to learn the names of all the jedi styles,  but yeahXP
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:04:46 AM by Goldleader » Logged

))]____o_))))))|_]=[|                               )

My Collection:
Savior/Obsidian
Archon/Obsidian
Arbiter/Obsidian
Bellicose/Obsidian
...and a whole lot of stunts...

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2011, 12:32:22 AM »

When i took martial arts i watched various techniques and katas that more experienced students got to train with using the bo, my only experience with weapons training in martial arts was a few grapple, disarming and offensive tactics with the tanto. but i remained very observant with how attacks and defenses were so fluent with the bo, you block and your immediately set up for a quick and unexpected counter, how many more areas the staff covers making it so easy to defend against attacks. it was very intriguing to the point where after i moved i started practicing on my own with bamboo poles and eventually i became very efficient, after the many blunders trying to work out how not to hit yourself on the head or in the unmentionables Shocked but nevertheless, the spins worked themselves out and i learned control and how to not hit myself no matter the situation(sounds lame but its harder than it looks, its just the basics:P) eventually it became my preferred weapon of choice. then ultrasabers came along hehe.. and well.. the staff is sill my best/ favorite in such matters!

so whatever a staff is considerred, juyo? or jar kai?.. <--that or jar kai is with two sabers..

please forgive me..i forget:P just now bothering to learn the names of all the jedi styles,  but yeahXP

Dual Wielding is jar kai, while the staff is just a different weapon, I think that you just adopt from whichever form you prefer.

Cause Maul uses Juyo, which is a very aggressive style.

On a side not Mj just bought me Escrima sticks for Christmas. I love jar'kai. Grin

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: