Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Down
Author Topic: Jedi Academy: Tython  (Read 104620 times)
Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #225 on: June 24, 2019, 08:18:57 PM »

It seems like a lot of semantics over Gray Jedi.  The Wookipedia seems to have a lot to say on the subject.  Pablo not withstanding.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Gray_Jedi

I can certainly see an inclination to call somehone who's left the Jedi order or drifted to murkier waters (and thus WAS a Jedi)  a "Gray Jedi"

It even makes sense to meet somebody who's got force powers, seems Jedi-like, but not quite wearing team colors a Gray Jedi.  Maybe not correct, but it's a point of reference.

That article seems to cover that.

Also, calling somebody a "Force User" is lame. So Jedi gets tacked onto the end.

Semantics are important to how we view things and the pictures we paint with words.  Using the term "Jedi" denotes being part of/associated with the Jedi Order, other than fallen/dark, as that denoted a fall/turn fully from it.  Ashoka said she isn't a Jedi, not any more.  Not that she's a grey/gray Jedi.  Force user is too generic and broad.  Grey/Gray by itself is good, but without context doesn't denote Jedi/Sith like entity.  Lord is a bit self important, perhaps.  Knight might work, as all in universe examples of anyone using the term is a Jedi/Sith like force wielder, iirc.  It also, though, has some connotations of specifically warrior/protector... 

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #226 on: June 24, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »

Pablo Hidalgo. BIG wig at LucasArts and responsible for good chunk of pre-disney SW lore and backstory.
Ok. Forget Pedro. VOTE FOR PABLO! We need to nix Cersei Kennedy and put a good man on the Iron Throne of LucasFilm.

He is the man who should be on the top of your S**t list.  Pablo Hidalgo is the head of the Lucasfilm Story Group, he is the one who says what is canon and what is not.  He's actually worked for Lucasfilm   since right before the prequels came out and is the one (along with Leland Che who also still works there) who gave us the different levels of canon ( G, T, C, S Etc.) before the dark times.
Levels of canon? I'm confused. Do I hate him or love him?

Thanks, janx. That was informative.

Semantics are important to how we view things and the pictures we paint with words.  Using the term "Jedi" denotes being part of/associated with the Jedi Order, other than fallen/dark, as that denoted a fall/turn fully from it.  Ashoka said she isn't a Jedi, not any more.  Not that she's a grey/gray Jedi.  Force user is too generic and broad.  Grey/Gray by itself is good, but without context doesn't denote Jedi/Sith like entity.  Lord is a bit self important, perhaps.  Knight might work, as all in universe examples of anyone using the term is a Jedi/Sith like force wielder, iirc.  It also, though, has some connotations of specifically warrior/protector... 
I think the term "Grey Jedi" would have been coined by the common folk of the galaxy to describe Force users that didn't adhere to the Jedi ideals, mostly because Jedi were the most common example of individuals using the Force. Kind of like how certain regions refer to all soda pops as Coke, or face tissue as Kleenex.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #227 on: June 24, 2019, 08:44:00 PM »

I think the term "Grey Jedi" would have been coined by the common folk of the galaxy to describe Force users that didn't adhere to the Jedi ideals, mostly because Jedi were the most common example of individuals using the Force. Kind of like how certain regions refer to all soda pops as Coke, or face tissue as Kleenex.

I agree, it's a vernacular branding, I just feel like as such, it doesn't properly describe things, when we aren't just talking familiarly.  It allows for issues like, "well Ashoka isn't a Jedi anymore, so she's Grey Jedi, and Asaj isn't Sith any more, so she's Grey Jedi."  These two are quite different.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #228 on: June 24, 2019, 09:08:35 PM »

Ok. Forget Pedro. VOTE FOR PABLO! We need to nix Cersei Kennedy and put a good man on the Iron Throne of LucasFilm.
Levels of canon? I'm confused. Do I hate him or love him?

When Lucas was in charge he was the man who made sure the fans and George were happy:  he helped create the canon levels:

G-canon is George Lucas canon: Considered absolute canon, it includes Episodes I–VI (the most recently released versions) and the upcoming Episodes VII–IX feature films, the animated film, and any statements by George Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public).
 (...)

T-canon is Television canon:refers to the canon level comprising only the two television shows: Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels.
 (...)

C-canon is Continuity canon: consisting of materials from the Expanded Universe including books, comics, and games bearing the label of Star Wars.
 (...)

S-canon is Secondary canon: covering the same medium as C-canon, it is immediately superseded by anything in higher levels of canon in any place where two elements contradict each other.
 (...)

N-canon is Non-canon: (...) anything else directly contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N-canon is the only level that is not considered official canon by Lucasfilm. Any published material that contradicts things established in G-canon and T-canon is considered N-canon.

Basically this came about because of things Lucas put in the Prequels that were contradicting things in the EU.  This was their way of appeasing fans.  But since KK took the helm he has jumped on the revision train.

I agree, it's a vernacular branding, I just feel like as such, it doesn't properly describe things, when we aren't just talking familiarly.  It allows for issues like, "well Ashoka isn't a Jedi anymore, so she's Grey Jedi, and Asaj isn't Sith any more, so she's Grey Jedi."  These two are quite different.

I deem them Grey not just because they left their respective orders, but their ideals.  Both are willing to enter situations their respective training would disallow.  Ahsoka will rush in to save a village even if it isn't "her fight" unlike a Jedi (Similar to the Clone Wars episode that was homage to The Seven Samurai) and Ventress will save someone...just with a sneer.  She even sacrificed herself to save the Jedi she was in Love with. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #229 on: June 25, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »

When Lucas was in charge he was the man who made sure the fans and George were happy:  he helped create the canon levels:

G-canon is George Lucas canon: Considered absolute canon, it includes Episodes I–VI (the most recently released versions) and the upcoming Episodes VII–IX feature films, the animated film, and any statements by George Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public).
 (...)

T-canon is Television canon:refers to the canon level comprising only the two television shows: Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels.
 (...)

C-canon is Continuity canon: consisting of materials from the Expanded Universe including books, comics, and games bearing the label of Star Wars.
 (...)

S-canon is Secondary canon: covering the same medium as C-canon, it is immediately superseded by anything in higher levels of canon in any place where two elements contradict each other.
 (...)

N-canon is Non-canon: (...) anything else directly contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N-canon is the only level that is not considered official canon by Lucasfilm. Any published material that contradicts things established in G-canon and T-canon is considered N-canon.

Basically this came about because of things Lucas put in the Prequels that were contradicting things in the EU.  This was their way of appeasing fans.  But since KK took the helm he has jumped on the revision train.
1) What is the (...) mean?

2) KILL HIM!!  TR8R! Pedro would never have allowed this to happen.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Anakin Generation
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

I and the Father are One.

« Reply #230 on: December 21, 2019, 11:23:42 PM »

Yoda is a Green Jedi of the Elf Species. And Asoka is fully on the Love side of the Force. Don't get too caught up in labels and definitions. Let the Force flow through you, let it become your only Self, your Only Love forever, your only identity, then you will realize that you are the Force forever, and that the True Goal of the Jedi and anyone who uses the Force is to make all beings members of it's Energy. Do Nothing But Love Everyone Fully Forever.

SpartanGrey117
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2020, 03:54:29 PM »

I'm fairly sure that this has been asked and answered many many times, but as for as lightsabers, the 'blade' itself has no weight correct? That would make training an interesting venture...

The Jedi have their place in the galaxy, and should not be lost. The Sith... They have theirs; some are needed, most are misguided, and then there are those that must be silenced... Both are needed for balance.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2020, 04:17:08 PM »

I'm fairly sure that this has been asked and answered many many times, but as for as lightsabers, the 'blade' itself has no weight correct? That would make training an interesting venture...
As my colleague Darth Tepes explained to me, the blade is made of plasma contained within an energy field. Plasma by its definition is "super-heated air". Air has mass, despite being minuscule. A Jedi/Sith has the ability to perceive this mass through the Force, allowing them to deftly wield a lightsaber.

Sig by For Tyeth

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2020, 04:21:10 PM »

It's been a long time since I've seen the Rebels episode but unless my memory fails me Sabine did mention that the Darksaber was "heavier than she thought it would be" or something along those lines. That would seem to indicate that it did have somewhat substantial weight, plus it's Canon and I think the only time it's mentioned that I know of.

Edit: I love Youtube

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1hZsB6CyXY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1hZsB6CyXY</a>

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »

As my colleague Darth Tepes explained to me, the blade is made of plasma contained within an energy field. Plasma by its definition is "super-heated air". Air has mass, despite being minuscule. A Jedi/Sith has the ability to perceive this mass through the Force, allowing them to deftly wield a lightsaber.

Is there a source for the blade being plasma specifically? I was always under the impression that it was a "force energy" IE space magic blade. If it was normal plasma one could feasibly create a lightsaber purely from blaster components with no crystal or force required. This might be a new canon/old canon thing I'm just not sure off-hand.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2020, 05:13:58 PM »

It's been a long time since I've seen the Rebels episode but unless my memory fails me Sabine did mention that the Darksaber was "heavier than she thought it would be" or something along those lines. That would seem to indicate that it did have somewhat substantial weight, plus it's Canon and I think the only time it's mentioned that I know of.

Edit: I love Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1hZsB6CyXY#

BOOOOOO

This is explanation total garbage. (Not your fault)

Is there a source for the blade being plasma specifically? I was always under the impression that it was a "force energy" IE space magic blade. If it was normal plasma one could feasibly create a lightsaber purely from blaster components with no crystal or force required. This might be a new canon/old canon thing I'm just not sure off-hand.

Plasma blade citation: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Lightsaber/Legends

Back before TCW began its campaign to completely ruin crystal lore, lightsabers were nothing more than hardware. ANYONE could use them, just not anyone could use them well.

The Force influence needed to create a saber came from the ability to perform micro-welds inside a ridiculously small and cramped space, from the inside of an enclosed body. Think of it like performing surgery without cutting open the skin.

Apparently both canons are filled with shark-jumping within saber/crystal lore in vain attempts to be edgy.

Sig by For Tyeth

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2020, 05:59:17 PM »

BOOOOOO

This is explanation total garbage. (Not your fault)
Plasma blade citation: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Lightsaber/Legends

Back before TCW began its campaign to completely ruin crystal lore, lightsabers were nothing more than hardware. ANYONE could use them, just not anyone could use them well.

The Force influence needed to create a saber came from the ability to perform micro-welds inside a ridiculously small and cramped space, from the inside of an enclosed body. Think of it like performing surgery without cutting open the skin.

Apparently both canons are filled with shark-jumping within saber/crystal lore in vain attempts to be edgy.

Hmm. Fair enough. I enjoy the more fantasy based explanations but yeah, both seem to have issues.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #237 on: May 13, 2020, 07:15:05 PM »

I think it's always been a kind of odd relationship between the mystical Force and physical hardware that makes a saber tick, but as mentioned a non-Force user would simply not have the same connection as a Jedi would. Since the Samurai were a partial inspiration for Lucas's Jedi I think the analogy works. To anybody else, a Katana is just a sword. Sharp, well made, but just a sword. To a Samurai his Katana is everything, it's  a symbol of commitment and honor and the weapon is truly his life (sound familiar?)

They kind of touched on this in Clone Wars with the whole Kyber crystal choosing its Jedi and such. Even though it may in fact be a metal tube that can emit plasma it's something much deeper.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2020, 08:18:38 PM »

I think it's always been a kind of odd relationship between the mystical Force and physical hardware that makes a saber tick, but as mentioned a non-Force user would simply not have the same connection as a Jedi would. Since the Samurai were a partial inspiration for Lucas's Jedi I think the analogy works. To anybody else, a Katana is just a sword. Sharp, well made, but just a sword. To a Samurai his Katana is everything, it's  a symbol of commitment and honor and the weapon is truly his life (sound familiar?)
No arguments. Except, that unlike the samurai having a katana forged by a smith, the Jedi each forge their own saber. One aspect of that wretched TCW arc, when the kids make their sabers, Gungi is asked to envision the "perfect" saber in his hands. Size, materials, configuration, blade length/breadth; all these make a saber personal. Creating something gives a special bond between creator and creation.

They kind of touched on this in Clone Wars with the whole Kyber crystal choosing its Jedi and such. Even though it may in fact be a metal tube that can emit plasma it's something much deeper.
I just think that it would have been a better canon for the FORCE to simply guide the Jedi to the crystal that will best meet their needs. Still mystical, but far less dependent on the rocks.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2020, 09:28:45 PM »

To be specific the Lightsaber blade is a Plasma "loop", Interestingly enough (in old canon) The Sith were responsible for making Lightsabers better.   In the Old Canon more than a few Jedi cobbled their Lightsabers out of "scrap".  Notably Master Coran Horn.  As my Cohort Logos said the reason no one else could build a saber was because of internal workings having to be done using the Force (an explanation I never fully bought).  But it wasn't just welds, it was also shifting the Crystal (or crystals if it was a dual phase saber) to the right position.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: