Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down
Author Topic: Why do you like Star Wars so much?  (Read 48595 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2018, 02:02:34 PM »

While I was first introduced to SW by watchign the movies on TV a long time ago, what really drew me in was the part Disney put to the torch.
I am Talkign abotu the old EU, mosty the rise of the Empire to early new Republic eras.
I don't know how often I read through both the Thrawn triologie and the X-Wing bookseries.
Both the Clone wars and Rebels I followed as closely as possible, the first one I hve rewatched in its entirety at least twice.
Also ever since SWTOR came out, I have something of a fonness for the old republic era, although I only play on and off since EA made the switch to a pay to win modell.
You can sit with me. Grin

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »

I have been quietly enjoying this thread for a while now. I figured it was finally time I shared my story. I apologize for the length, but as you may be able to tell about me, I am an “all in” type person when I do something.
I get very emotional when I ponder this topic.  Star Wars has been with me, always.  I was born in 1974 and literally my very first memory is seeing Star Wars on the big screen.  Nothing detailed, simply the giant scale of everything and the images- the enormity of the star destroyer, the twin suns, endless sand and grit of Tatooine, shimmering droids, anti-sceptic clean of the death star and of course light sabers.  It truly was my first step into a larger world.  I’m sure these vague images were enhanced in my memory by my cool Aunt often retelling the story of taking 3-year-old me to the movie when everyone thought I was too young.  She liked to take credit for sparking what has become this lifelong passion. 
As a kid of the 80s, I think of how immersive and real the Star Wars universe felt.  The movies were like a watching a documentary of actual events. I was certainly the target demo for Kenner, and for sure hooked on the toys. But for me it wasn’t just about collecting and owning these pieces of plastic- it was about being able to play in this sandbox universe.  Imagination coming alive. Telling my own stories.
In the early 90s as a young man, I discovered a new connection to the films.  It spoke to me in a whole different, existential way.  Here I was trying to figure out my place in the world and I rediscover my old friend and hero Luke.  He is full of the same angst and yearning, looking out over sand at the setting twin Suns (chills writing this with the force theme in my head). Like so many of us, I was inspired once again- to go out and find my own Quest, my own self-rescuing princess, my own Death Star to blow up.  I also reconnected to the toys and found myself into collecting.  The 90s was a great time to acquire (at the time not so “vintage”) Star Wars Toys cheap- everyone I knew in college had a tub full sitting in their parent’s basement and could use a few bucks.  I soon found myself with a huge surplus and started to resell the extras for a bit of a profit out of a Flea Market booth. Believe it or not, before eBay, internet forums, massive comic cons and such, the Flea Market was THE place for people to come together and talk Star Wars/Fantasy/Sci-Fi.  I made many friends and passed the long hours discussing Star Wars with customers and my business partner just like scenes out of “Clerks”. 
Then I remember the excitement of the Prequels, camping out for tickets, midnight toy releases/movie screenings.  Reconnecting with old friends and getting into whole new philosophical debates given the new material. The onslaught of toys, Video games, books and comics to consume- and I did all the above as much as possible. 
Of course, Star Wars was not done with me as I embarked on more grownup journeys.  Career, marriage, house, child.  I must say, some of my fondest Star Wars memories are as a father connecting with my daughter.  Going to opening movie nights (TFA, R1, TLJ), a pilgrimage together to Rancho Obi-won, comic cons, waiting for the new Rebels episodes, afternoons building Legos, discussing theories on the nature of the force. Watching her connect and identify with all these incredible and strong female characters.  It has been amazing.
Now for just over two years, I have been training and studying light saber combat- and in case you haven’t noticed- having a total blast doing it!!! There is a Japanese saying from Kendo that translates, “learning love/friendship through the crossing of swords” that certainly applies to what we do. 
Through it all, to answer the question that started this tread, what do I like Star Wars? It has to be the connection to people.  “It surrounds us and penetrates us- it binds the galaxy together”. Memories of those that have been a part of my journey- for a small part long ago or still with me today.  Those that have aided my quest or covered my back on trench runs.  And those that have become one with the force, like my cool Aunt that started it all when she took me to see Star Wars in 1977. 

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2018, 04:48:13 PM »

*Applauds* Excellent story Musashi!

Sani and Lord V, also great stories! You guys rock for the Legends love  Grin

Points all around!

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »

Amazing. Cheesy 

Thank you all for sharing - these are fantastic!

Points for all. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

revenantdsm
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -8

« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2018, 03:15:36 AM »

My story begins with my radfather taking me to the moves when I was 6 or 7 years old, in 1977. Never had I seen anything like this- it impacted me. In 19080, when ESB came out, and 83with ROTJ- my love for this story only grew.

Wait until 1998-1999, I’m abroad, things aren't going great- and Episode 1 is there to ground me. And the rest iis history. A story I love, and a ommunity of like minded folks to share these stories with, in a million different ways... cosplay, RPG, tabletop games, VG...it is awesome no matter what.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2018, 07:29:24 PM »

My story begins with....
"My legend begins in the twelfth century...."

Thanks for the ADD laughs. Grin -1

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2018, 07:57:18 PM »

"My legend begins in the twelfth century...."

Thanks for the ADD laughs. Grin -1
Lolol. Only you, Logos

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »

Lolol. Only you, Logos
What can I say? I love the little annoying freak.

Sig by For Tyeth

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »

What can I say? I love the little annoying freak.
Just wait until the final showdown  Grin

Darkside Points Please

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2018, 03:02:37 PM »

my friend showed me ANH when I was 4 and I have been hooked ever since. I'm just sad I didn't find ultrasabers sooner.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2018, 03:33:47 PM »

my friend showed me ANH when I was 4 and I have been hooked ever since. I'm just sad I didn't find ultrasabers sooner.

I was actually shown US back in college. (At least I think it was them) But when I saw this 4 years ago, I knew I had found them again.

Sig by For Tyeth

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2018, 05:18:51 PM »

I was actually shown US back in college. (At least I think it was them) But when I saw this 4 years ago, I knew I had found them again.

Haha, this picture is actually what made a big enough impression on me about 6-8 years ago that I actually remembered about US when I started looking for a Saber.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »

That's actually the picture that led me to US! before that, I found a couple of the other guys and I was like "Why are they so expensive?!?!?!?" then I found US and was like "YAY! I can actually afford these!"

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

KennayGW
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 31

Force of the North and the Far East

« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2018, 08:01:59 AM »

When my dad first showed me the first film A New Hope when I was probably 5 or 6. The whole lightsaber aspect alone sold me. Back then I didn't even care about anything else,.not even the story it self lolll. I just knew right then and there that I wanted to become a jedi when I grew up. And im a man of my word..so today im 29 and I'm one with the force and the force is with me.

Emperors Hand
Phantom V4
Diamond Initiate LE V4

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2018, 04:40:51 PM »

I have a lot of hobbies that I'm really into of which I have friends that I connect with: 

I'm a Marine: I served 10 years in the Marines and all through training, we were taught to work as a unit, work as one, so when one person fail, we all failed.  Once we learned that, we became a family and had this connection like no other.  In fact, til this day, the connection with my brothers and sisters not only in the Marine Corps but the entire US military, there isn't a connection that I've come across like it except for my wife. But the following fills a bit of that void, I'm going to say that it comes close but it does help.

Body Building: I have been working out since high school, entering the military, and present, it's a really addictive "hobby" and I'm trying to get into the amatuer competition.  With that said, I have a lot of friends, competitors, and trainers a like that I connect to and discuss ways to improve or gain with on a daily basis.

Comic Books/Comic Book movies: I've collected comic books and cards since the 3rd grade and have longed for a Marvel movie since the Blade trilogies.   I go to lots of Comic cons and the likes to see new comics, movies, shows, and cosplay.  I'm currently working on a cosplay for the next convention.  I can spend hours upon hours talking to people alike who read the comics and watch the movies on future movies or storylines for the comics. 

Cars: I'm not only an enthusuast with cars, I'm also a gearhead and love to buy, sell, trade, build, and race cars (Not on the streest).  I love looking at a car as an empty canvas and picturing my goals and mods for it.  With that said, I meet up at car meets not because I need to be around people (I have a thing about crowds believe it or not), but because I love car culture.  I love being able to share the love of cars, the engines, the modifications, the racing aspect, etc.  I love the following that cars from 20 years ago have which is similar in a sense, to what Star Wars is.

Star Wars: Last but not least, my whole point of this all is that I enjoy the comraderie of these interests and hobbies since it brings people who similar and different interests together because of this one thing.  From each of my hobbies, I've made at least one friend for life and I don't call everyone my friend either. 

Now, the first time I watched Star Wars, I was 7 years old (back in 1992), I remember it vividly because I was on Christmas break from school and we were planning on going to Church since there was a night special but load and behold, I woke up the day before sick...  Figures.  So I was stuck at home all weekend but Sunday night, my mom wanted to bring me to church so they can pray for me, I remember that there was the original trilogy playing so I was watching it while laying down waiting for my mom to get home and fell in love when Luke first activated Anakin's lightsaber.   Since then, I would use flashlights as a lightsaber and fight my brother.  When I got into middle school, I started reading the books and watched the prequels when they came out.  My school had an elective class (we had 7 classes) which students can choose whatever elective classes they wanted and I chose the "Star Wars and more" class.  Took that from 6th to 8th grade and was able to share our theories, knowledge, and love for the movies and the books.  I found lots of friends because of it, and I just love the comraderie of it.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: