Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
Author Topic: Thoughts on The Rise of Skywalker - SPOILERS  (Read 36331 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2020, 06:16:53 PM »

Still feel it's too early for main threads. Grin

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2020, 06:27:18 PM »

Still feel it's too early for main threads. Grin

Point! lol

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »

Point! lol
I actually want this print.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2020, 07:29:33 PM »

Hux just looks so......internally screaming

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2020, 07:46:32 PM »

Hux just looks so......internally screaming
I was rather disappointed by his involvement in the story. And I was exceptionally disgusted by how they built up Phasma to be the ultimate battle-hardened bitch, and a damn explosion takes her out in the last movie. Woohoo, she has a grand total of 6min of screen time in 2 movies. LAME.

Sig by For Tyeth

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2020, 07:47:49 PM »

I was rather disappointed by his involvement in the story. And I was exceptionally disgusted by how they built up Phasma to be the ultimate battle-hardened bitch, and a damn explosion takes her out in the last movie. Woohoo, she has a grand total of 6min of screen time in 2 movies. LAME.

I liked where Hux ended up, but I agree on Phasma - I really thought she'd return after TLJ given her big character trait is "SURVIVOR"

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2020, 01:35:05 AM »

The worst part about Hux is he could've been SOOOOO awesome had TLJ not made a fool of him. Even in TFA he seemd to be this loyal, evil, powerful character that we didn't know a lot about, but had the potential to be one of the greatest villains of SW. He could just about someone the likes of Lucius Malfoy who as evil as they are, are still interesting characters.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2020, 03:46:11 PM »

He could just about someone the likes of Lucius Malfoy who as evil as they are, are still interesting characters.

Ha!  Point for the spot-on Harry Potter reference!  Lucius Malfoy is, indeed, an interesting character in his own right, and has depths that are only hinted at in the books (and COMPLETELY glossed over in the movies), because we see (almost) everything in the books from Harry’s perspective.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2020, 04:02:29 PM »

The worst part about Hux is he could've been SOOOOO awesome had TLJ not made a fool of him. Even in TFA he seemd to be this loyal, evil, powerful character that we didn't know a lot about, but had the potential to be one of the greatest villains of SW. He could just about someone the likes of Lucius Malfoy who as evil as they are, are still interesting characters.
Despite my utter hatred of the FO, Hux had potential as a villain. He was driven, ambitious, and charismatic. At least he was in TFA. Then he turns into this sniveling, bumbling, idiot.

Same with Phasma. I agree that I was a bit disgusted by the feminist superpower overtones of the first 2 movies, but she was another character that failed to meet potential due to idiot production. For those that saw GoT, we all know what Gwendoline Christie is capable of, and effectively is what they hoped to sell us. But due to the $#!% design of her armor, she could barely move, so all we got was the voice of a badass, walking and standing, and getting her ass kicked by what should have been lesser characters.....except Chewie. I mean, hell, the friggin LEGO character had a better range of movement.

I think that was why the fandom was so divided. The Disney regime at LF had limitless potential to go forward, and they squandered it with poor choices.

Sig by For Tyeth

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2020, 05:53:23 PM »

After a couple weeks to sit on my opinion I thought I'd share some addition pros and cons:

1) The Dagger was.....weird. I liked it until the horizon line gimmick. I felt like they could have just had the info on the blade and been done with it - but I feel like they had to justify Rey going to Ren's Star Destroyer, which was a cool scene, but left the dagger being kinda stupid as a plot device.

2) I liked Ben Solo a lot. More Adam Driver appreciation here, but I love when he was fully redeemed how much his mannerisms mimicked Han. Some quality acting there.

3) I enjoyed the Occult feeling of the Sith Eternal. The Sith are tonally weird. Before this movie, with all their movie appearances they were just kinda evil without real explanation excepting Anakin. The EU and whatnot fleshed that out but it wasnt until TRoS that we got that creepy, dark, cult-like atmosphere in a movie that a lot of the licensed work excelled at. The large statues, arid dark environment of Exogol, and Palpatine's chilling thrall all did good by the Sith's presentation.  

4) I Still wished they killed Chewbacca. I know it sounds awful, and I love Chewie, but this movie was all about character progression and pushing these new characters to grow. Chewie didnt have any sort of emotional arc in this movie and his death to further conflict Rey about her abilities would have been a better use for the character than him just sitting around occasionally growling for the rest of the movie. Again I love this character but the only scenes in which he mattered was his "death" and to add extra emotional impact to Leia's death.

5) Leia was tactfully done. We all knew Leia had to die in this movie due to real-life tragedy. Her sacrifice to force Kylo to confront his feelings and memory of his fathers is both touching and the most "listen here you little sh**" Carrie Fisher style powermove you could put in that script.

6) Kylo and Rey's duel on Kef Bir is one of my favorites in the franchise. This duel didnt have the meaning of the OT's duels, and it didnt have the flashy choreography of the PT - BUT this duel was one of the best in telling a story without a word of dialogue. The fighting style of both characters tell a very strong story about them each. Kylo is the superior fighter, draining Rey's stamina and matching her at every swing but is hampered ultimately by his emotional instability, where Rey's is explosive, acrobatic, and powerful but lacks technique and refinement; broad, wild strikes show her power but also her lack of skill in dueling, which exhausts her over the duration of the fight. I like subtle / environmental storytelling and this duel has that in spades.

Just some additional thoughts for y'all

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2020, 08:49:45 PM »

Darth Logos; PsychoSith:

Both salient points. Overall, I liked what they did with this movie and how they were able to work Carrie Fisher/Leia into this and overall thought it was very tastefully done. A fitting tribute to a Great Actress.

Could they have done this movie better? Yes. Do I wish they did a more concise and heart stirring plot and closure? Yes again. But I think they did a good enough job to close out this part of the Star Wars story.

-1 point to the both of you.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2020, 09:32:50 PM »

I still believe that the main loss stems from that those in charge have no interest in telling a good story; only what can be marketed.

Sig by For Tyeth

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2020, 04:48:39 AM »

I still believe that the main loss stems from that those in charge have no interest in telling a good story; only what can be marketed.
I cannot agree more with this assessment^^

While I was generally underwhelmed with TRoS, it WAS an improvement over TLJ and had several good scenes that I enjoyed thoroughly.  But as Logos adroitly pointed out, it ultimately suffered from those in charge neither knowing what they had nor particularly caring outside of financial success.

Still: the BEST part of TRoS (as well as TLJ) is being able to hear/read disparate POVs from fellow Forum members.  Special mention to PsychoSith whose stalwart positivity reminds me why I love Star Wars so much: this Universe is FULL of great ideas, hope, and even better people  Smiley

Points!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

jessifer
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2020, 06:19:50 AM »

I personally thought they did pretty well with the material they were left with after the disaster that was TLJ. Don’t get me wrong, almost anything that is SW I will watch and get some enjoyment out of, but they really pushed it with that one. With TRoS, I feel they really rushed in the first act to set up everything they were going to do in the second and third. I really feel they would have benefited from an Avengers Endgame strategy and given us a three hour movie to give them time and space to tell the story properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not, hmm?

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2020, 02:54:51 PM »

I cannot agree more with this assessment^^

While I was generally underwhelmed with TRoS, it WAS an improvement over TLJ and had several good scenes that I enjoyed thoroughly.  But as Logos adroitly pointed out, it ultimately suffered from those in charge neither knowing what they had nor particularly caring outside of financial success.

Still: the BEST part of TRoS (as well as TLJ) is being able to hear/read disparate POVs from fellow Forum members.  Special mention to PsychoSith whose stalwart positivity reminds me why I love Star Wars so much: this Universe is FULL of great ideas, hope, and even better people  Smiley

Points!

And i don't want to be mistaken - by no means do i think these movies are anything close to perfect; I just think they're plenty enjoyable,

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: