Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: Makeshift Unorthodox Costume (In Progress)  (Read 35019 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2020, 11:54:43 PM »

I know it's not costume related, but here's a video of some practice going from a saberstaff combo into a little bit of Jar'Kai using the Quick Release coupler.

https://i.imgur.com/ahn4vDe.mp4

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2020, 04:00:58 AM »

Adamantium = Cortosis?

Logan would make the WORST Jedi! ;-)
Last time I'll go off topic here in regards to this, yea he wouldn't be the worst in history... But he'd definitely earn his place as "one of the lost", it's why him as Starkiller is such a great reference. Logan's so antihero he's basically one of the founding fathers of that concept. True, they are both energy resistant materials. That's the scary part, he might not be able to be dismembered via lightsaber (in comics he survives a Nuke) and pain from trying only seems to motivate him more. I'd weigh in on a thread somewhere or fanfic since I've got nothing but time right now. But, agreed, I'd do it elsewhere to not monopolize the costume convo.

In regards to that, excellent work here in getting the ball rolling liftalot! Almost 1000 views, and tons of great resources coming together here. I'll definitely end up make use of some of it in adapting my outfit. This is pretty great. Glad you got so many great options to work with now. Great contributions from everyone.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2020, 03:21:38 PM »

I'd been thinking about walking around in full cosplay with a lightsaber. Then the potential "carrying a lightsaber with blade attached, but not ignited, diminishing the overall effect". I'd want it attached for ease of use in spontaneous photos or whatever if at a convention or something like that. Plus the pure ascetics of the outfit kind of demand this to me, to convey realism. Let alone taking time to attach a blade or worry about separate storage/carrying of blade(s). I've also heard of other creative solutions like cross straps on the back (shamefully I can't remember the user's name off the top of my head) but this sounded super cool "ninja movie" style carry and drawing ability, but conflicts with a cape. So I thought more concealment or sheath options might be better. I found a thread on construction of something that could work (sadly the pictures are no longer available) with detailed building instructions. I plan to cobble together something like this whenever my lightsaber arrives, but thought I'd post the link here too. Just incase this is useful to anyone else here, or others have found creative solutions to this issue? http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=23280.0

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2020, 04:21:30 PM »

I'd been thinking about walking around in full cosplay with a lightsaber. Then the potential "carrying a lightsaber with blade attached, but not ignited, diminishing the overall effect". I'd want it attached for ease of use in spontaneous photos or whatever if at a convention or something like that. Plus the pure ascetics of the outfit kind of demand this to me, to convey realism. Let alone taking time to attach a blade or worry about separate storage/carrying of blade(s). I've also heard of other creative solutions like cross straps on the back (shamefully I can't remember the user's name off the top of my head) but this sounded super cool "ninja movie" style carry and drawing ability, but conflicts with a cape. So I thought more concealment or sheath options might be better. I found a thread on construction of something that could work (sadly the pictures are no longer available) with detailed building instructions. I plan to cobble together something like this whenever my lightsaber arrives, but thought I'd post the link here too. Just incase this is useful to anyone else here, or others have found creative solutions to this issue? http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=23280.0

You raise a good point. That is one more reason why I think the QR coupler is useful, as it allows you take a ~6' staff and split it into 2x 3' sabers, which can be more easily be transported with the blades on. I already have my tactical belt with the ability to attach rings/carabiners to (as I did for the saberchucks), so maybe I can figure out some way to hold one saber at each side using attachments for that belt.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2020, 05:36:49 PM »

Figured out a way to use the round carabiners I had on my belt to hold the two sabers in place by looping them through the vents in the quick release couplers. It takes a few seconds to do, but they’re firmly in place, and the length is fine in that they won’t trip me up or drag on the ground. This may change depending on how long your hilt and blade are, how high you wear your belt, and how tall you are, of course.

The belt and the clips were ~$24 in total from Prime, with a few more clips left after using those 3.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2020, 07:10:56 PM »

Update of the whole ensemble:

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2020, 07:12:10 PM »

At first I liked the O-ring use and thought about it personally, but wasn't sure I was a fan looking up close at the lightsaber hilts with them in an alternating pattern. BUT seeing them from further back, the effect of both colors has me pretty sold on the pattern they make. I'm jealous, it's pretty damn cool.
Also an enjoyable holiday to all of you celebrating. (I'm going to enjoy several strong beverages...)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2020, 07:18:07 PM »

At first I liked the O-ring use and thought about it personally, but wasn't sure I was a fan looking up close at the lightsaber hilts with them in an alternating pattern. BUT seeing them from further back, the effect of both colors has me pretty sold on the pattern they make. I'm jealous, it's pretty damn cool.
Thank you. I can link the exact one I got, if I haven't already. Very affordable and easy to do. They've held up well so far too. One or two of them may slide slightly out of place while using the sabers, but there's so many of them that it's not a big deal, and a loose one can't go far, since there are so many on either side of it keeping it in the general position. And I just re-align them when I'm done using them. You have a lot of freedom in patterning too. You could do one hilt black and one hilt red, or just the top half of each hilt one color and the bottom another. Or wider stripes by using more o-rings per color before alternating colors, or use more of one color than another to make the less-common color seem more of an accent, etc. I know they make other colors as well, but I haven't really seen them in a larger size like this.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2020, 05:56:00 PM »

Added some gaffer tape to the two choke points on one of the two hilts. This serves the purpose of helping me to identify which side of the staff is forwards, so I can know which way to manipulate the coupler to separate the staffs. The two black portions should be fairly visible even with the blades on, and there's also a tactile difference where the tape is, so it seems I could also be able to feel which side is which by the presence or absence of this tape/grip texture.

The good thing about gaffer tape is that it is not supposed to leave any residue when removed, yet is also designed to be strong and durable, which should make it perfect for this application.

I also think it looks pretty sweet.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2020, 03:20:33 AM »

The evolution of your personal lightsaber out of necessity keeps being something I'm loving seeing. Because it was more function than form that prompted some of these changes but then the resulting vibe it gives off is reminiscent to me of something you might see during the Clone Wars. You haven't had it more than a month, but it has a certain character now. Like some tried and tested friend that had to adapt with you through many battles. I just find it working well with enriching your costume as a counterpart but technically portion of the overall costume.

Point for that, the authenticity mixed with creativity.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2020, 04:23:03 AM »

The evolution of your personal lightsaber out of necessity keeps being something I'm loving seeing. Because it was more function than form that prompted some of these changes but then the resulting vibe it gives off is reminiscent to me of something you might see during the Clone Wars. You haven't had it more than a month, but it has a certain character now. Like some tried and tested friend that had to adapt with you through many battles. I just find it working well with enriching your costume as a counterpart but technically portion of the overall costume.

Point for that, the authenticity mixed with creativity.
Thanks. It’s been evolving partially out of necessity even before I received it. Switching from LE to regular when they told me LE was OOS was what lead me to look into the o-rings, since I felt plain silver with no accents looked a little plain. But there have been some things that I have just been lucky finding out worked, like the round carabiners I used to hold the nunchucks on the belt fitting in the vents on the QR coupler to secure them to my belt. I don’t know if I posted pictures of it yet, but some of the angles on the staff keep cutting into the top of  my thumb knuckle, so now I just wrap a bit of athletic tape around that part of my hand. Only that portion, as not to use a ton of tape or end up with a lot on my hands that could hinder movement.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2020, 03:55:03 PM »

Ok folks! Decided to open up my own thread for my custom Sith costume WIP.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=46500.0

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2020, 06:12:17 PM »

I don’t know if I posted pictures of it yet, but some of the angles on the staff keep cutting into the top of  my thumb knuckle, so now I just wrap a bit of athletic tape around that part of my hand. Only that portion, as not to use a ton of tape or end up with a lot on my hands that could hinder movement.

I thought I replied but it timed me out originally and I never went back to fix it I guess. I need to pick up some of that black wrap, looks cool but will be functional so I hope CVS or something has black athletic tape. I figured this would be an issue eventually since lightsabers are in general made for form not function, you're not supposed to fight for years, or train for hours on end with hard steel/aluminum edges in direct contact with skin... that's probably why I've always used wooden, leather wrapped, or cloth wrapped hilts. I'm used to tons of blisters and calluses but only ripped my hands open a time or two. This will save my skin, literally. Thanks man, now I gotta go spend a few bucks, so worth it.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2020, 05:29:21 PM »

Not in costume, but I was gifted a Baby Yoda:

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2020, 06:03:48 PM »

"Let’s make the baby do the magic hand thing. Baby, do the magic hand thing!"- Greef

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: