Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 101   Go Down
Author Topic: The Spin Zone: Demos/performances  (Read 470651 times)
finlayfox
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -36

« Reply #1185 on: October 21, 2019, 12:13:40 AM »

OK - This is a practice session so go easy on me.  There  are a few good moves but some not so much.  Be nice. Needs work for sure but want to thank Cephalus, Venturous, Matt, and various others for some inspiration & lessons.  Like I said, lots of work needed here but Im slowly coming along.

https://youtu.be/59vEsC9v3zI
I hope you don't mind 2 suggestions, because I'm about to give 'em- You are doing great with crossing the planses for continuous movement, and I think something for you to work on that will help is cleaning up those planes. There is a drill in the flow world where you stand facing a wall, then you put your hand out, with your prop in it to where your hand and prop are only an inch or 2 from the wall, and then start spinning it in a circle, being mindful to not hit the wall.
There is some adaptation needed for the saber instead of a ball on the end of a string, but it still works.
The other suggestion is to commit to a pose when you decide to do it. When you go back into a stance, include the leg work, and even go a touch further than you would when drilling for actual combat. Mainly because it looks cool, and people like things to look cool/dramatic.
And I am saying these things as constructive feedback, and not well, out of malice.  So if I come across harsh at any point I do apologize.
And btw, y'all with more experience than I, feel free to contradict me. My knowledge is a whole hodge podge of various elements, and that leaves... gaps.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Teddy Roosevelt

finlayfox
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #1186 on: October 21, 2019, 01:18:13 AM »

so, i had an idea, and I need to practice this! ... outside.  So, proof of concept is saber and levisaber combo

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EJYtZa5kUc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EJYtZa5kUc</a>

S2mikey
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #1187 on: October 21, 2019, 01:58:44 AM »

I hope you don't mind 2 suggestions, because I'm about to give 'em- You are doing great with crossing the planses for continuous movement, and I think something for you to work on that will help is cleaning up those planes. There is a drill in the flow world where you stand facing a wall, then you put your hand out, with your prop in it to where your hand and prop are only an inch or 2 from the wall, and then start spinning it in a circle, being mindful to not hit the wall.
There is some adaptation needed for the saber instead of a ball on the end of a string, but it still works.
The other suggestion is to commit to a pose when you decide to do it. When you go back into a stance, include the leg work, and even go a touch further than you would when drilling for actual combat. Mainly because it looks cool, and people like things to look cool/dramatic.
And I am saying these things as constructive feedback, and not well, out of malice.  So if I come across harsh at any point I do apologize.
And btw, y'all with more experience than I, feel free to contradict me. My knowledge is a whole hodge podge of various elements, and that leaves... gaps.

I appreciate the feedback, 100%.  I know I need to keep working at it and any tips/suggestions are taken in a positive manner, trust me!  When you say "commit to a pose when you decide to do it. When you go back into a stance, include the leg work, and even go a touch further than you would when drilling for actual combat", what exactly do you mean?  More details please!

AEON L4, Tri-Cree Fire orange
Archon 2.1, Tri-Cree Gaurdian Blue
Dark Sentinel L4 - Tri-Cree Consular Green, Green AV switch
Initiate V3, Catalyst Pommel, Violet, AV switch

finlayfox
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #1188 on: October 21, 2019, 02:20:33 AM »

I appreciate the feedback, 100%.  I know I need to keep working at it and any tips/suggestions are taken in a positive manner, trust me!  When you say "commit to a pose when you decide to do it. When you go back into a stance, include the leg work, and even go a touch further than you would when drilling for actual combat", what exactly do you mean?  More details please!
at 1:41 in your video you go into a stance as you're wrapping up. Do more with it, lean a bit further back, go a touch lower, look more sinister. Sam can probably give some good advise on going about that, since he cosplays darth maul on the regular.

S2mikey
Knight Officer

« Reply #1189 on: October 21, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »

at 1:41 in your video you go into a stance as you're wrapping up. Do more with it, lean a bit further back, go a touch lower, look more sinister. Sam can probably give some good advise on going about that, since he cosplays darth maul on the regular.

Got it.  Good call and it makes sense.  These are the kinds of things that I can add to make the whole performance better.  Still lots of work to do here. Thanks for the feedback!

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1190 on: October 21, 2019, 10:44:58 AM »

Excellent as always! Great reverse grip spinning there!

Thank you, Mikey!  Reverse Grip is my go-to as you can see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59vEsC9v3zI&feature=youtu.be#
Video embedded by your friendly neighborhood, Mod

Well figured 8s and the Eclipse is nice as well.  I like how you're playing around with throwing the saber, S2.  Looking good and keep up the good work

S2mikey
Knight Officer

« Reply #1191 on: October 21, 2019, 12:30:58 PM »

Thank you, Mikey!  Reverse Grip is my go-to as you can see

Well figured 8s and the Eclipse is nice as well.  I like how you're playing around with throwing the saber, S2.  Looking good and keep up the good work

Thanks!  Plenty of improvement opportunities for sure but it’s slowly coming along.  Ya just gotta keep at it.  Little things get easier each time and I’m trying to make sure I get some spinning in each day. 

Please keep posting your great vids too, I can learn from them plus they are just fun to watch. Smiley

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1192 on: October 21, 2019, 12:32:29 PM »

Thanks!  Plenty of improvement opportunities for sure but it’s slowly coming along.  Ya just gotta keep at it.  Little things get easier each time and I’m trying to make sure I get some spinning in each day. 

Please keep posting your great vids too, I can learn from them plus they are just fun to watch. Smiley

From a fellow flow artist, you're doing quite well. I learned to use my non-dominant hand when spinning which took longer but it's the right thing to do so that you know moves in both hands. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the kind words, I sure will! Glad that someone is digging it! Smiley   

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #1193 on: October 21, 2019, 08:38:28 PM »

Forgive my awkwardness talking on camera, but here ya go Mikey

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQepqb8AyYA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQepqb8AyYA</a>

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1194 on: October 21, 2019, 09:07:35 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQepqb8AyYA#

<golf clap>

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

S2mikey
Knight Officer

« Reply #1195 on: October 21, 2019, 11:53:51 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQepqb8AyYA#

Great!  Nothing awkward about it.  Nicely shown too.  I also watched Venturous' video on it at first but its always good to get more perspective.  The "drill" idea is a good one to get my fingers trained more for this.  Im slowly getting better but like the idea of drills to do everyday as you've shown. 

Thanks a bunch for taking your time to make this vid.  Its much appreciated!!! Smiley

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #1196 on: October 22, 2019, 12:34:00 AM »

I've done some tutorials and Skype sessions with some forum members here and there, but I always feel awkward talking to a camera without anyone there.  If there's a demand for it, I might could do a series of videos showing some stuff.  I tend to feel better speakers like Venturous and DC have covered it though.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #1197 on: October 22, 2019, 02:42:17 AM »

You did well with it, Sam
Instruction is never easy

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1198 on: October 22, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »

Sam is the reason why I know how to do finger rolls, good stuff, Sam!

S2mikey
Knight Officer

« Reply #1199 on: October 22, 2019, 11:41:53 AM »

I've done some tutorials and Skype sessions with some forum members here and there, but I always feel awkward talking to a camera without anyone there.  If there's a demand for it, I might could do a series of videos showing some stuff.  I tend to feel better speakers like Venturous and DC have covered it though.

No doubt that we've all watched and benefitted from the great vids availabe from Cephalus and Venturous.  However, it can be beneficial to get other "takes " on certain training and moves.  It can just be a camera angle, a certain way of explaining it, etc that can make the differenc eif you're stuck.  And, I can speak for myself that sometimes you just get stuck!  And dont feel awkward - I thought your video was perfectly good that you posted for me.

If it came down to it Id possibly take you up on a skype session or whatever.  Thats like one on one live training!!!! Cheesy  Let me see how I get along with the latest vids and more practice time.

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 101   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: