Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41   Go Down
Author Topic: The Knife and Sword Thread  (Read 176790 times)
Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2018, 02:18:25 PM »

Not a cosplay piece but a tool.  This is my "fighting" knife.  I use it much the way Worf wields his Mek'Leth in Star Trek...

That thing looks nasty Karmack! What is it’s length? It’s hard to tell scale without anything next to it. 

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2018, 02:50:34 PM »

And this is the one I normally carry to cons.  It’s an inspired by look from the Nemesis workshop.  It’s not the prettiest thing but they make a great handling LARP sword.  I tend to prefer to go this way for weapons at cons because it’s easier to carry and it’s great when people want to mock duel or something.

It photographs ok too, most people don’t realize it’s a larp sword until I point it out

That looks fantastic for a LARP sword, Sam!  Good find.  I have my replica Longclaw on the wall, gotta get a pic of it.

Actually, I really have to get pics of all my swords for this thread...

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #272 on: June 10, 2018, 08:48:48 PM »

I took my swords to light saber class this morning and had some fun sharing.  I thought I would also post some pictures here.
Backstory- I wanted to get a nice set of samurai swords for years, but really had no knowledge about what to buy or the resources to get something nice. I was leery of getting something online or being ripped off at some kind of sketchy store or flea market.  As fate would have it, by the time I had set aside expendable income to invest in some real swords, I met a local Sensei I really trusted.  I worked with him recently to acquire exactly what I was searching for- this set imported from Japan. 
Here is my Katana and Wakizashi set.  The tsuba is in the design of Miyamoto Musashi (of course). That is real rayskin wrapping which takes a while to get used to. The Katana has a dull blade because I use it to practice drawing and forms/dulon/kata frequently and I didn't want there to be the potential of killing myself.  The Wakizashi is sharpened so I could use it for Tameshigiri (cutting practice) and because... well like anyone reading this, I wanted a real Samurai Sword of my own! The look of the tempered steal on the Wakizashi is mesmerizing.  It doesn't translate well in pictures, but I could stare at the light dancing off of it for hours. 
Let me know what you think.   

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2018, 03:50:47 PM »

That thing looks nasty Karmack! What is it’s length? It’s hard to tell scale without anything next to it. 

Its just shy of 18" blade length.  IIRC it was actually listed as a 'machete', which is just ... wrong.  No ghurka ever wielded a machete....  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2018, 11:33:19 PM »

Its just shy of 18" blade length.  IIRC it was actually listed as a 'machete', which is just ... wrong.  No ghurka ever wielded a machete....  :-)

The kukri has a long history of being used as a machete.  It is first and foremost a work blade.  It just also dismembers people quite well. Smiley

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #275 on: June 12, 2018, 03:55:13 AM »

The kukri has a long history of being used as a machete.  It is first and foremost a work blade.  It just also dismembers people quite well. Smiley

The guys on Naked and Afraid really seem to like that kind of knife. What makes it such a good survival tool?

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #276 on: June 12, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »

Hi Guys,

From what I've read the Kurkri is especially good because the curve gives it more mechanical advantage for cutting downward and ripping (for example when cutting through bones/branches) Imagine the knife as a lever, the fulcrum is at the blade tip, the load is at the cutting point on the blade edge and the effort is of course through the handle, the arc the blade travels through means you get more cutting power but use the same effort as a straight blade. (Paper slicing guillotines work in a similar way)

The curved section is also useful for shaving bark off branches and stripping vines etc (holding the handle and the back of the blade and drawing the knife toward you to shave the material off - usually you would always cut away from you but having the crook to guide the blade and holding the back edge of the blade gives better control.)

It also didn't hurt that the knife's shape made it look fearsome when used in battle.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #277 on: June 12, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »

3 words for anybody who likes knives and swords (edged weapons). Forged in Fire! If you have not seen this TV show you are really missing out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #278 on: June 13, 2018, 04:11:00 AM »

3 words for anybody who likes knives and swords (edged weapons). Forged in Fire! If you have not seen this TV show you are really missing out.

Agreed. Fun show to watch, though I don't get to too often.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #279 on: June 13, 2018, 04:36:49 PM »

Sadly, that too is quasi-scripted, reality show crap.  It's a fun show, but it's not as honest, straightforward, or informational as it tries to appear.

As to why the Kukri is such a good overall survival blade, in addition to what has been pointed out, having a thick spine (usually) lets it stand up to a lot of abuse, chopping, digging, batoning, et al.  Also, the design puts  a lot of weight forward, so when chopping, it does a lot of the work for you, conserving energy.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #280 on: June 14, 2018, 06:45:36 AM »

Sadly, that too is quasi-scripted, reality show crap.  It's a fun show, but it's not as honest, straightforward, or informational as it tries to appear.

As to why the Kukri is such a good overall survival blade, in addition to what has been pointed out, having a thick spine (usually) lets it stand up to a lot of abuse, chopping, digging, batoning, et al.  Also, the design puts  a lot of weight forward, so when chopping, it does a lot of the work for you, conserving energy.

What he said.

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #281 on: June 14, 2018, 11:29:02 PM »

Finally have a use for this old sword!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #282 on: June 15, 2018, 12:36:26 AM »

Finally have a use for this old sword!

NAZGÛL!!!

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #283 on: June 15, 2018, 08:15:45 PM »

Right on.   The blade shape puts the weight "forward" as it were.  Its kind of like the curved hilt - you get more leverage and the strikes are more effective.  Even in "assassin" reverse grip.
The crook in in the blade also makes for a perfect place to catch the other guy's blade as well. 

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #284 on: June 15, 2018, 09:33:07 PM »

Right on.   The blade shape puts the weight "forward" as it were.  Its kind of like the curved hilt - you get more leverage and the strikes are more effective.  Even in "assassin" reverse grip.
The crook in in the blade also makes for a perfect place to catch the other guy's blade as well. 

Why the Flacata was so awesome

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: