Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: So..... Why DID Vader kill the Emperor???  (Read 17852 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 09:25:13 PM »

One thing the new comics have shown, is Vader building a bit of a network outside of Papa Palpatines sight. 
Ask yourself.........is this relevant to a plot point that is 30+ years older?

Are you so certain it was ACTUALLY out of Palpy's sight?  Creating networks to be more effective of a tool, to let Vader think, as well, that he is getting somewhere in his plotting, sounds just like a Palpy method...
Already been done. Starkiller had one of the most advanced infiltration ships in the Empire. A pilot handpicked by Vader (ulterior motives not withstanding). And mad sneaky skills. And even the Emperor still found them. (Although I haven't ruled out the possibility of Vader ratting himself out to sow the deception. Undecided)

I state whats written down as of now, I have my own conjectures but I stuck to the facts ;P   But Vader did find out about Luke outside of Palpy's sight.
Even though the Emperor is fully aware of the father/son relationship by EpV?

I was going off the idea you gave me, that off the top of my head I don't recall any Sith ever going "I've got a bright idea, I'll usurp Sidious by myself." They always sought help with taking him down, Tyranus did, Maul did, Vader did, I'm not too familiar with TFU but good on Starkiller if he tried. It's just a testament to the high opinion that the Sith have for Sidious if they knew better than to take him on solo. Doubly so in that pride is a dark side trait and all of his apprentices laid that aside because they probably thought they'd end up fried, lol it rhymes.  Roll Eyes

Eh, I think the whole "foresight" thing is kind of a weak plot tool in Star Wars. It's too easy to say "-insert character- can tell future events except when the plot warrants it, then they don't see it coming." just my two pennies. 

I like this thread, lots of good discussion here.
That's what was established. Sidious trained his "apprentices" just enough for them to be exceptionally useful, but never enough to stand a chance of challenging him. Even to a point that multiple foes wouldn't be enough to match him. The same tradition was carried on when Dooku went looking for another lackey. He wanted someone powerful enough to use, but not too much to control. Ultimately, Ventress and Opress weren't enough to challenge him, so he and one of his lackeys would never be enough to take down the Master. I don't remember Dooku making a play, though. Maul only sought revenge for being betrayed, despite acknowledging that he was apprentice to "the most powerful being in the galaxy."

SPOILER ALERT:

Vader's scheme in TFU was to use Starkiller to draw out the Emperor's enemies. Essentially, Starkiller rallied the Alliance founders. And once they were all gathered, Vader struck. He as much admitted to Marek that he lied his ass off for the last 18 or so years, and that he never intended to usurp the Emperor with him. The LS ending was pretty sweet, when the surviving Rebels found the Marek family crest (Wookiee origin unknown) as what we all recognize. But before that, Marek knocked Vader out of the fight, and engaged the Emperor to allow the Rebels time to escape.

I don't think their fear of Sidious reflected a high opinion, merely that they knew they were no match. It's like when you're a child, you know that you are no match for an adult (usually). But as you grow and learn you discover that you eventually become a match, if not surpass their ability. If you want to talk about ultimate Sith power, you should read up on Emperor Vitiate. Wink

On the foresight note, have you ever paid attention to an event when it turned out exactly as you expected? Flip a light switch. Drive home from work. Open the drain in the bathtub. The answer is no. You only take note when something is out of place. The light doesn't come on. You have to take a detour. The bathtub doesn't drain. I think that the Emperor couldn't predict the exact outcome of his throne room, because the specific of him frying look was too specific, and therefore why would he suspect that action of triggering his faithful dog?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 10:37:07 PM »

Well written, Logos.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 10:45:19 PM »

On the foresight note, have you ever paid attention to an event when it turned out exactly as you expected? Flip a light switch. Drive home from work. Open the drain in the bathtub. The answer is no. You only take note when something is out of place. The light doesn't come on. You have to take a detour. The bathtub doesn't drain. I think that the Emperor couldn't predict the exact outcome of his throne room, because the specific of him frying look was too specific, and therefore why would he suspect that action of triggering his faithful dog?

I see what you mean, but I still think that splitting hairs on the entire "foresight" in Star Wars pokes holes in how effective and cohesive the ability is. I'll look into Emperor Vitiate, I've never even heard of him.

Also, you can probably tell I'm a Light-sider so I appreciate your tutelage Darth Logos.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 11:05:49 PM »

I see what you mean, but I still think that splitting hairs on the entire "foresight" in Star Wars pokes holes in how effective and cohesive the ability is. I'll look into Emperor Vitiate, I've never even heard of him.

Also, you can probably tell I'm a Light-sider so I appreciate your tutelage Darth Logos.

It has occurred to me that you're looking at foresight, which I mentioned, as though I was referring to precognition, like Force visions.  I was speaking of foresight as one has when playing chess, having the vision to see where an action, or series of them, will lead.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 04:56:28 AM »

It has occurred to me that you're looking at foresight, which I mentioned, as though I was referring to precognition, like Force visions.  I was speaking of foresight as one has when playing chess, having the vision to see where an action, or series of them, will lead.

Gotcha Illyiss, that makes more sense.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 05:10:16 PM »

If you ever want a good education, I recommend reading some of the discussions in the Jedi and Sith Academy threads.

You're in for a treat (maybe) when you research Vitiate. Long story short: he would make Sidious piss his pants and be left sucking his thumb in the fetal position.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

you will try
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -6

This is the end for you my master . . . .

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2019, 07:11:42 AM »

Sorry, decided to help two squabbling Sith out and start a thread for them.  ;-)

It has been suggested that Vader was not in fact acting altruistically when he killed the Emperor.  That his intentions were in fact what he had stated to Luke earlier - kill the Emperor, take his place, and rule the galaxy as father and son.

Others have contended that Vader, still conflicted at his core, acted to save his son from death and through his action redeemed himself, turning away from the Dark Side and returning to the Light Side of the force.

So, I pose the question:  Which do you think it is?  Or is there a third way?  Did Anakin Skywalker truly redeem himself, or was it just Vader grasping at a last, desperate chance to usurp Darth Sidious and perhaps exact revenge on him for lying to him about being able to keep Padame alive?

Share your thoughts...

Sith Force Ghost:
https://www.nola.com/saints/2012/09/meet_new_orleans_saints_super.html

http://www.robbyklein.com/robby-klein/2012/07/20/defend-new-orleans

Finally: The emperor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKWVCv8uWDI

- Darth Severus Rex et Imp

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2019, 02:27:09 PM »

Maybe it's both. Maybe he wanted to kill Palpatine so that there was nothing left to stand in the way of his rule, but at the same time save Luke so that he could have his son at his side. After all, as others have pointed out, Luke and Leia are the only family he has left at that point. His closeness to his mom, then being devastated by her death, marrying Padme, then being thrilled to find out she was pregnant, then being devastated by her death and believing his unborn child was also dead, pointed to a man who is big on family. When he had nothing left, he served the Emperor faithfully, but Luke provided him with what he always wanted, a close family member to rule with him. (he proposed the idea of a joint rule to both Padme and Luke) So, killing the Emperor to save Luke's life doesn't necessarily mean he all of a sudden turned good. It just means he didn't want his only son and heir to die a the hands of a master that he never felt that kind of connection to. His suit being fried may have been an unforeseen circumstance. Realizing he was going to die anyway may have been what caused him to finally let go of the Dark Side and be at peace.

Though, I've always just thought he did it to save Luke and never really delved into the reasons behind the choice.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »

Can't view the vid, but I'm scratching my head as to the relevance of the other links.

Sig by For Tyeth

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »

I don’t understand the relevance of the links either.

Well said scifidude, that is pretty much what I think/feel about the subject.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2019, 03:22:01 PM »

The time to overthrow the Emperor to replace him was when Luke grabbed his saber and tried to strike Palpatine. Instead of blocking Luke, they could have struck him down together. Vader's loyalties were mixed, twisted and tested as much as Palpy tried to twist Luke. Luke's final refusal inspired Vader and frustrated Palpatine. Perhaps that was the first real moment Vader had to kill the Emperor, which was Anakin's plan from before Padme's death. I don't know that Vader ever could be convinced that Palpatine's politics of one ruler was wrong, but he was shown that Palpatine isn't it. But, in the aftermath, he thought of Luke's survival, wanting Leia to know Luke was right and not Vader's own survival, which Sith are known to do. I'd say it's clear his selfless mindset and that he was redeemed. Also, he's a frikkin' spirit at the end, sittin' next to Yoda and Obi-Wan.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2019, 04:32:05 PM »

The time to overthrow the Emperor to replace him was when Luke grabbed his saber and tried to strike Palpatine. Instead of blocking Luke, they could have struck him down together. Vader's loyalties were mixed, twisted and tested as much as Palpy tried to twist Luke. Luke's final refusal inspired Vader and frustrated Palpatine. Perhaps that was the first real moment Vader had to kill the Emperor, which was Anakin's plan from before Padme's death. I don't know that Vader ever could be convinced that Palpatine's politics of one ruler was wrong, but he was shown that Palpatine isn't it. But, in the aftermath, he thought of Luke's survival, wanting Leia to know Luke was right and not Vader's own survival, which Sith are known to do. I'd say it's clear his selfless mindset and that he was redeemed. Also, he's a frikkin' spirit at the end, sittin' next to Yoda and Obi-Wan.
Ugh. Don't get me started on the ghosts. It was an excuse for a warm fuzzy.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2019, 07:46:01 PM »

Ugh. Don't get me started on the ghosts. It was an excuse for a warm fuzzy.

Wait, you don't like the Force Ghosts at the end of ROTJ?

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2019, 08:11:53 PM »

Depends on which ROTJ. Original cut's 'salright.

But now that you ask I started theorizing on how a Force spirit is generated. From what the movies have portrayed, it seems that the requisite is being at peace and accepting death. Qui Gon was at peace knowing that Obi Wan would fulfill his dying wish. Yoda falls asleep and literally poofs out. Obi Wan accepts that his death will have far flung victories by allowing Luke to escape. Vader accepts his mistakes and finally sees his son as a correction for his sins. All of the Sith Lords that fell, did so in a frenzied or panicked state. Dooku, unbelieving that his master just threw him under the bus after he lost both hands, and possibly believing that a Jedi would not act as executioner. Sidious was all hyped up on bad vibes to produce lightning (which apparently is not easily turned off) and then plummets to his death screaming. Also considering that the very title of Darth is representative of "conqueror of death." They all really don't want to see the end, and more than likely never accept it. It also wouldn't help that they have a long history of being betrayed by their apprentices. I don't see many of them going out quietly. Also, going off of this theory, it's doubtful that Windu made it to ghost-hood. Unless he came to grips with death before hitting the ground.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2019, 01:41:36 PM »

Depends on which ROTJ. Original cut's 'salright.

But now that you ask I started theorizing on how a Force spirit is generated. From what the movies have portrayed, it seems that the requisite is being at peace and accepting death. Qui Gon was at peace knowing that Obi Wan would fulfill his dying wish. Yoda falls asleep and literally poofs out. Obi Wan accepts that his death will have far flung victories by allowing Luke to escape. Vader accepts his mistakes and finally sees his son as a correction for his sins. All of the Sith Lords that fell, did so in a frenzied or panicked state. Dooku, unbelieving that his master just threw him under the bus after he lost both hands, and possibly believing that a Jedi would not act as executioner. Sidious was all hyped up on bad vibes to produce lightning (which apparently is not easily turned off) and then plummets to his death screaming. Also considering that the very title of Darth is representative of "conqueror of death." They all really don't want to see the end, and more than likely never accept it. It also wouldn't help that they have a long history of being betrayed by their apprentices. I don't see many of them going out quietly. Also, going off of this theory, it's doubtful that Windu made it to ghost-hood. Unless he came to grips with death before hitting the ground.

That's pretty much what the consensus is, its why in the EU Sith Lords became specters.  Got to wonder about Mace though since Qui-Gon was the first to figure it out and taught it to Yoda

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: