Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Author Topic: Basic Build Guide Request (New Builder)  (Read 96771 times)
ollivander_apprentice
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2018, 06:27:09 PM »

Hi.  This sounds like an epic first project.  Before we start answering your questions... have you at all considered looking at the complete empty hilt packages or individual build your own saber parts on the US sales site ?  Your very first customization/build experience should be fun versus worrysome and a more easy to complete project without damaging pieces sometimes beyond repair/useability.  Blown sound boards can be costly.  You could create a 3D shroud and other decorative modifications.

Let us know if you are a newbie or an experienced at finer soldering, electronics, tap & drill, retention screws, threading, dremel, etc.  Smiley

Hi Dauntless,

Many thanks for the insights. My expertise with soldering and electronics would be light, and dremel would be nil. To be honest, building a saber was a testbed to learn and develop electronics and machining with a fun end-goal to keep me focused. My colleagues at work are all deeply experienced engineers, and I am swapping biochemistry lessons for engineering lessons.

However, your point about enjoying the first build is well taken. I would be well amenable to focusing on the machining aspects of the shroud rather than the electronics aspects until my soldering and electron control skills develop. Is there a plain hilt you would recommend that can be supplied with all the electronics packed in, but is as plain and narrow as possible to enable it to be encased in an outer shroud without creating an outer diameter akin to a can of beans?

It would still be useful to know the recommend internal diameter of the electronics housing, and appropriate threads, as I hope to ultimately build something from scratch in the future, but will first need to build it in a 3D CAD software package.

Deeply appreciate all insights and advice,

Many thanks!!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2018, 08:50:20 PM »

Hi.  Sorry but can only reply briefly to this today due to time constraints... but there are lots of alternative saber choices.  You need to look at what US has to offer and perhaps start out with a more streamlined basic designed hilt that you can visualize creating, fitting and attaching a 3D for example shroud on to.  Something like the Aeon/Dominix/Initiate v3 line or a Standard Battle Issue.  Even a Prophecy.  Just note that these sabers are MHS compatible for the pommel end only and not also for exchanging the emitter.  All are really good to use first sabers and quite popular.

Hopefully others will comment.  Also check out the Customizations and Gallery sections for more ideas.  Smiley

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »

Out of curiosity why would you use a buck Puck instead of a basic resistor? A resistor would be a simpler system. What is the benefit to using the puck instead of a resistor and if you were to use a resistor what resistance would it need to be in ohms? My stunt saber came with a resistor rather than a puck is why I'm asking.

The resistor will provide less stable, less accurate, and just less function than a buckpuck which can do more

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2018, 02:53:07 AM »

One of the biggest things a buckpuck gives is a steady light intensity over the life of the batteries

SilverFieldWolf
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2018, 05:19:26 AM »

Would you guys suggest buying a Lightsaber before you build your own?

Also, I can't seem to find any info about the different types of blades and what they're for. Could someone give me a quick summary? or maybe point me where I can find that info?
I'm wanting to make (or buy) The least expensive Lightsaber that's strong for dueling. I kind of just want to see if dueling and fight choreography is something I want to get into before I spend a lot of money or time into a really nice Saber.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2018, 06:04:01 AM »

Would you guys suggest buying a Lightsaber before you build your own?

Also, I can't seem to find any info about the different types of blades and what they're for. Could someone give me a quick summary? or maybe point me where I can find that info?
I'm wanting to make (or buy) The least expensive Lightsaber that's strong for dueling. I kind of just want to see if dueling and fight choreography is something I want to get into before I spend a lot of money or time into a really nice Saber.

Hi Silverfieldwolf!

Based on your last paragraph  wanting to see if you're into it i would suggest buying a stunt sabre (ie one without sound) before getting a higher end one or building your own which can be pricey especially if you want sound as in addition to lights you need to buy and install a soundboard.

Ultrasabers has some great basic hilts like the Sentinel, Aeon and Dominix varieties that are under $100 USD to get set up without sound, just choose your color and a heavy grade blade and your good. If you want sound too the lite sound option is fairly inexpensive and really good as well.

For something strong for duelling you want to get an Ultrasabre with a Heavy Grade Blade - I think this answers your question re blade types - essentially heavy grade is tougher than regular mid grade is is great for dueling - i can attest you can bash two heavy grades together or against door frames no problem.  Ultraedge in blade type just refers to the type of plastic used, if you look on the screen when selecting the type of sabre you want there is an explanation for all four type US offer just choose a sabre and flick through the screens as if you were ordering to get to it.

Definitely start with buying something simple though, you'll get an excellent product straight from US and not have to worry about piecing it together and messing up the wires.  If you find you enjoy it then you can move up to a more premium sabre (e.g Guardian or Emeprors Hand Type) or consider building your own if you have some skill in electronics - but for first time definantely just buy one one outright to find out what you don/don't like about it. Worst coms to worst and you don't enjoy playing round with it you'll still have a cool sabre to put in a display cabinet that didn't cost the world.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Aaronstar
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »

just to confirm do i have all i need for internals, or am i missing something, do i have something i dont need?

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2018, 11:39:59 AM »

Get rid of the AAA battery holder since the premium board needs the 14500 and you already have the 14500 combo added.  Everything else looks good

Aaronstar
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2018, 11:48:33 AM »

o, so the universal battery charger is an internal component, not an external accessory that you put the batteries into to recharge? good to know. i needed the battery holder and speaker combo which i did not see at first. also how much can the obsidian sound board configure the led, like pulsing and changing color, or would i need to get my hands on the emerald for that?

also, do i need 2 batteries or 4?

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »

Hey there, the soundboard can only enable/disable pulse, enable/disable FOC and of course sound.  If you want to change color, the Emerald driver or Diamond Controllers are what you want. Both will have to be purchased through building a hilt as US doesn't sell them as parts.  The up side is that the Diamond Controller has the Obsidian V4 built into it whereas you have to add sound to the Emerald which still costs and takes up more room within the saber.

Aaronstar
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »

if i were to add in my own recharge port instead of removing the batteries, what would i need? i already have the hole for it...

also, this may be a long shot but could i recharge the batteries through the obsidian usb?

DahliaTalon
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2021, 12:46:59 AM »

Hi all,
I an a noob and could use some help!
I 3D printed Darth Talon's hilt (because I can't find her saber anywhere), however now I'm completely stumped on what pieces I still need to purchase.... I did see the list with links but would appreciate some specifics
Thank you!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: