Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
Author Topic: COSPLAY 101: A Beginners Guide  (Read 72003 times)
Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2018, 02:23:21 AM »

Has anyone here had any experience bringing an ultrasaber to a con recently? I'm going to wizard world in Tulsa as a custom with character I made that wields a spear (utilizing the dark war glaive). Am I going to encounter problems getting in? will having the blade on be an issue? Will the spear (made from yari pike extensions) be an issue? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I can't vouch for Tulsa, but I had no problems bringing Therion's Wrath into Salt Lake Comic Con last September
You should be able to check the con's website for relevant info as well

Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -68

« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »

Can someone point me into a direction, I want a crazy helmet Vader or open but want I it to also be able to absorb saber impact. My goal is to get armor for saber combat but want to look good aslso😀

Vengeance is a must death will follow no one will survive
 Crimson Scorpion diamond, dark Initiate v4 stunt, Sentinel LE v4 stunt, Aeon v4 stunt.   If I could name change it would have been Darth Sithious

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »

Can someone point me into a direction, I want a crazy helmet Vader or open but want I it to also be able to absorb saber impact. My goal is to get armor for saber combat but want to look good aslso😀

Most cosplay helmets and masks are more for aesthetics so I'm not sure how impact absorbent one would be. My feeling is that they aren't but I did find one like this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/631802209/star-wars-darth-vader-helmet-esb-fully?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=darth%20vader%20helmet&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1

I did find a DV helmet that was designed as a motorcycle helmet so it won't be movie accurate since it looks like it was designed on top of an existing motorcycle helmet and is DOT and ECE approved.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/637925185/darth-vader-motorcycle-helmet-dotece?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=darth%20vader%20helmet&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1

Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2018, 08:04:33 PM »

Omg bro 😀 the motor cycle 1 is perfect, I go back to work from family leave for the birth of my son on the 11th. I have to hide 450 from my wife 🤣 or wait until Christmas but that's perfect your the man! I'd say point but I gave you 1 already 😂

Crimson Scorpion diamond, dark Initiate v4 stunt, Sentinel LE v4 stunt, Aeon v4 stunt.   If I could name change it would have been Darth Sithious

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2018, 01:32:27 AM »

Omg bro 😀 the motor cycle 1 is perfect, I go back to work from family leave for the birth of my son on the 11th. I have to hide 450 from my wife 🤣 or wait until Christmas but that's perfect your the man! I'd say point but I gave you 1 already 😂

Congrats on the incoming baby, Jaymes. Are you a motorcyclist as well? What’s your bike of choice?  I have a ZX10R myself. You’re welcome, I’m just glad I was able to help if though I didn’t think I did. Point back!

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2018, 01:57:14 AM »

what about some of the airsoft helmets that are geared towawrds costuming?!?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2018, 03:14:46 AM »

Hi there mrg149,

I would avoid airsoft masks if it is to be used for duelling. A fellow member of this forum did a video on YouTube where he took several of the most popular airsoft, fencing and full contact/lacross hockey helmets and tested them.

The airsoft mask was annihilated. The fencing mask was slightly better but still flexed on impact (meaning it would still hit you inside). The lacross/hockey helmets faired the best. However they would require a bit of cosmetic work to look "In-Universe"

Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2018, 05:15:40 AM »

Hi there mrg149,

I would avoid airsoft masks if it is to be used for duelling. A fellow member of this forum did a video on YouTube where he took several of the most popular airsoft, fencing and full contact/lacross hockey helmets and tested them.

The airsoft mask was annihilated. The fencing mask was slightly better but still flexed on impact (meaning it would still hit you inside). The lacross/hockey helmets faired the best. However they would require a bit of cosmetic work to look "In-Universe"
   That's an awesome idea, it's a great start not sure what to use to get an authentic look but as a frame its perfect, what about infinat's idea the Vader motorcycle helmet hopefully made from kevlar

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2018, 12:57:21 PM »

You should check out Evike.

https://www.evike.com/shop/30/937/831/

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2018, 03:27:13 AM »

Wow point for the awesome info bro!! Price is right and great material

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2019, 07:35:47 PM »

This is a good thread.   Here's a few more thoughts from a long time Renny and Steampunk .

Plan incrementally. Costuming is expensive, so cut corners on stuff that matters less (pants) and focus on the eye catchers first.  Nobody notices pants (aside from lack thereof), compared to your shirt or prop.  I wore sweatpants on my first ren fair costume.  Nobody commented on that.  That hack enabled me to wear what I did have (tunic from the theatre department after a run of I Hate Hamlet).

I have since gotten several pairs of breeches that work for a pirate or a peasant.  I've got several styles of shirts/tunics.  I can outfit friends now.  But everything is modular, like your real wardrobe.  On this, I tend to favor making my own character rather than copying one.  It's a lot easier becoming my own Jedi than it is reproducing Luke.

Learn how to make, mod or sew or find someone who can who you can feed cookies to.  I've bought a number of pieces for my cosplays, but I also know how to make stuff and I've a friend who is a fashion designer who helps out with some things.

Don't be afraid to reverse engineer that cheap costume.  Odds are good what's wrong with it is material and sloppy assembly.  You can still figure out the pattern from it and remake it.

Build up layers.  Learned that from the Lord of the Rings extended DVD extras.  Han isn't wearing pants and a shirt.  There's a vest. A gun belt.  Look carefully at any dressed up movie, and you'll see at least 2 layers on every outfit, usually 3.

Don't go all black.  Yeah, I love black, too.  But it's hot in the sun and is harder to photograph because there's no contrast between layers/ belts, etc.

The basic formula for a Jedi is:
1 karate gi (dye it. All white looks weird and armpit stains suck. preferably separate colors for top/bottom)
1 belt to cinch it and hang blaster/saber from
1 cloak or haori to wear over all that
1 pair of boots (or very black tennis shoes with no obvious logo)

You can google how to make a cloak.  I made mine in my dorm room with one of those tiny sewing kits.  Used hard-drive rings (separates the platters) for the clasp. Cheap. Accessorize.  Swap out stuff as you get better. 

You'll be recognizable as a Jedi in general and look great.  The light saber usually gives the whole thing away, remember those sweatpants? Nobody does.  Key prop/garb pieces draw the eye away from mundane elements.  Waist-up photos also help.  Because your bottom half looks plain (at this stage), the photographer is going to zoom in on the top halves.

That's the next step.  Building fancier stuff.  Google.  Stretch and learn a new skill.  Fail.  Make a better one.

Study up Nerfpunk to learn how to paint plastics to look like metal.  You can make your Hasbro Blaster look better.

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2019, 07:48:15 PM »

This is a good thread.   Here's a few more thoughts from a long time Renny and Steampunk .

Plan incrementally. Costuming is expensive, so cut corners on stuff that matters less (pants) and focus on the eye catchers first.  Nobody notices pants (aside from lack thereof), compared to your shirt or prop.  I wore sweatpants on my first ren fair costume.  Nobody commented on that.  That hack enabled me to wear what I did have (tunic from the theatre department after a run of I Hate Hamlet).

I have since gotten several pairs of breeches that work for a pirate or a peasant.  I've got several styles of shirts/tunics.  I can outfit friends now.  But everything is modular, like your real wardrobe.  On this, I tend to favor making my own character rather than copying one.  It's a lot easier becoming my own Jedi than it is reproducing Luke.

Learn how to make, mod or sew or find someone who can who you can feed cookies to.  I've bought a number of pieces for my cosplays, but I also know how to make stuff and I've a friend who is a fashion designer who helps out with some things.

Don't be afraid to reverse engineer that cheap costume.  Odds are good what's wrong with it is material and sloppy assembly.  You can still figure out the pattern from it and remake it.

Build up layers.  Learned that from the Lord of the Rings extended DVD extras.  Han isn't wearing pants and a shirt.  There's a vest. A gun belt.  Look carefully at any dressed up movie, and you'll see at least 2 layers on every outfit, usually 3.

Don't go all black.  Yeah, I love black, too.  But it's hot in the sun and is harder to photograph because there's no contrast between layers/ belts, etc.

The basic formula for a Jedi is:
1 karate gi (dye it. All white looks weird and armpit stains suck. preferably separate colors for top/bottom)
1 belt to cinch it and hang blaster/saber from
1 cloak or haori to wear over all that
1 pair of boots (or very black tennis shoes with no obvious logo)

You can google how to make a cloak.  I made mine in my dorm room with one of those tiny sewing kits.  Used hard-drive rings (separates the platters) for the clasp. Cheap. Accessorize.  Swap out stuff as you get better. 

You'll be recognizable as a Jedi in general and look great.  The light saber usually gives the whole thing away, remember those sweatpants? Nobody does.  Key prop/garb pieces draw the eye away from mundane elements.  Waist-up photos also help.  Because your bottom half looks plain (at this stage), the photographer is going to zoom in on the top halves.

That's the next step.  Building fancier stuff.  Google.  Stretch and learn a new skill.  Fail.  Make a better one.

Study up Nerfpunk to learn how to paint plastics to look like metal.  You can make your Hasbro Blaster look better.

Good info janx, I'm sure all newcomers will appreciate this

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

ScificommodoreJones
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2019, 08:18:33 AM »

Cosplay…. I was cosplaying long before I knew what cosplay was I think the first time was in 1967 at the ripe age of 6 dressing up as batman to watch first runs of Adam West version of batman for that half an hour I was Batman, I made a cardboard phaser from star trek with two pop lids and a tooth pick.
Jump to the late eights Larping, Live, action, role-play, at cons and the like till like 2000 or so.
I feel before you go build a costume create your character give him a back story, example I’m  , Elb`ro Jonpa I  own a VCX-100 Light Freighter, called Jurassic Amber I’m neither Jedi or sith but I’m strong with the force, as Obi-wan would say…. Any skills I learn are self-taught or mimicked as a youngling watch my grandfather and father practice. Story goes in the outer rim on a forgotten planet, in a ruined temple I found a damaged sith light saber that I took as my own, (which has its own back story) so with all that in mind, than I began building my costume which started with a simply grey boiler suit after all I’m a freighter pilot and the ship’s captain. Is my costume accurate I would say yes, but I’ve no examples to go by because? , Elb`ro Jonpa is me, I’m not cosplaying Han Solo, Luke sky walker, obi-wan or any established Characters. And it does irk some, with their complaints and their opinion’s, I just move on from those nay sayers because in the end both myself and the nay sayer will have a better time with no or as little interaction as possible……. Look take clues from established Characters but be creative and imaginative.
Jump to 2019 my Granddaughter who eight.. Created her cosplay identity as the daughter of a well to do jeweler who were murdered she thinks by rebels so she’s hot under the collar. Living on the streets as a scavenger and thief n her own right… till I as   Elb`ro Jonpa adopt her and she’s my new copilot as I teach her on the trips of commerce that pays the bill she known as raven Jonpa the light saber she’s building she’s given a name to it, Talon every bit of her saber been scavenged. She “stole one of my mystery boxes every mod she makes I from bits she finds  that’s a second example what her costume will be who knows but it’ll be her that’s for sure.

Sabers owned for my granddaughter is The Dark Sentinel   LE V4 Fire orange stunt saber, while I got the Dark Apprentice v5 with light sound and tri Fire orange, the fallen V4, artic blue foc
Wife got Dominix Le V2 blazing red ,Guardian  tri  Adegan Silver
Dark Arbiter FO FOC silver V4 sound

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2019, 08:42:03 AM »

I think quite a few people on the forum have created backstories for their cosplay and posted them in the fan fiction section. That's what I did. Grin

Also, I just noticed one of the pictures from the original post has disappeared (thanks Photobucket)

Under "Who can cosplay?" it's supposed to be this. If any Mods want to use their magic and move this photo, that would be awesome.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2019, 09:15:53 AM »

I think quite a few people on the forum have created backstories for their cosplay and posted them in the fan fiction section. That's what I did. Grin
I would say that is the ultimate distinction of cosplay versus wearing a costume: cosplay takes on a role and persona.

When I went to SW Celebration, I ran into this guy:

He did an astounding job, but he had only seen images of it online, and knew nothing of the backstory or where it came from. So I asked his buddy to translate as I told him the tragically lost story of how Starkiller whooped the tar out of D. Viddy.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: